Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Quitman County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Georgetown Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
Georgetown Marker
Georgia (Quitman County), Georgetown — 118-2 — Georgetown
Settled in the early 1830’s this town was first named Tobanana for the nearby creek. The Tobanana post office was established January 10, 1833, and the name was changed to Georgetown September 21, 1836, in honor of Georgetown, District of . . . — Map (db m46588) HM
Georgia (Quitman County), Georgetown — Georgetown High School / Alma Mater
Georgetown High School A memorial to our beloved Alma Mater. Georgetown High School was established and graduated the first class in 1926. It became accredited in 1932 and continued annual graduations under this name through 1971. The . . . — Map (db m46683) HM
Georgia (Quitman County), Georgetown — 118-3 — Harrison-Guerry-Brannon-Crawford Family Cemetery>>>>----->>
Approximately 200 yards SW is an old family graveyard where lie buried many distinguished Georgians. Capt. James Harrison, one of the earlier settlers of this area, rests here. His home, begun 1837, was the first frame house in this area and was . . . — Map (db m46584) HM
Georgia (Quitman County), Georgetown — 118-1 — Quitman County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 10, 1858, is named for Gen. John A. Quitman, soldier in the Mexican War, Governor of Mississippi and ardent advocate of States Rights. The County Site is named for Georgetown, D.C. Among the first . . . — Map (db m46586) HM
Georgia (Quitman County), Georgetown — Quitman County’s Old Jail
The original jail was a wooden structure built in 1859. It was replaced in 1891 with this brick structure which is typical of rural jails built during this period in southeast Alabama and southwest Georgia counties. The commissioners in 1890 - 1891 . . . — Map (db m46519) HM
Georgia (Quitman County), Morris — Union United Methodist Church
Side 1: Organized as a non-denominational church in 1837, Union United Methodist Church is the oldest church in Quitman County. Thirty-four charter members constituted its initial membership. Among them were Mrs. George Ellis, the first . . . — Map (db m23421) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement