Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Randolph County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Benevolence Baptist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
Benevolence Baptist Church Marker
Georgia (Randolph County), Benevolence — 120-11 — Benevolence Baptist Church
This church, constituted May 16, 1840, succeeded Walnut Grove, NW of here, (called Mt. Paran when organized, Nov. 1831, with 9 members). In 1840, Missionary Baptists, feeling a need for a separate church, met and accepted 5 acres of land for Church . . . — Map (db m33555) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Coleman — 120-6 — Vilulah Settlement
This marker is erected in memory of those pioneer settlers who laid the foundation of Vilulah Community and built its early progress upon the principles and practices of its Church. Meeting under a bush-arbor in 1867, seventeen members constituted . . . — Map (db m12937) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — 120-5 — Andrew College>>>---->
Cuthbert is the site of Andrew College, founded here January 1854. Named in honor of Bishop James O. Andrew whose refusal to free his Wife’s slaves separated the Northern and Southern Methodist Episcopal Churches (1844). First President - Augustus . . . — Map (db m47264) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — 120-2A — Andrew Female College
This institution was founded in 1854 and conducted under the auspices of the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church. It was in honor of Bishop James O. Andrew (1794-1871), a noted pioneer leader of Methodism. Augustus Alden was the first . . . — Map (db m48220) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — 120-10 — Confederate Dead and Hospitals
Twenty-four Confederate soldiers are buried here. These men, veterans of many hard fought battles, died in the Confederate hospitals located here, 1863-1865. They were the Hood, Hill, Lumpkin, and several temporary ones. Among the gallant . . . — Map (db m46423) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. / Patterson Hospital
Side 1: Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. April 16, 1867 – Dec.31, 1930 Dr. Fred Patterson was born in Stewart Co., Ga., attended South Georgia Agriculture College, Cuthbert, graduated Vanderbilt University School of . . . — Map (db m48653) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — Henderson Home
Fletcher H. Henderson (1857-1943), pioneer Georgia educator, built this home in 1888 and lived here until his death. Principal of nearby Howard Normal-Randolph School 1880-1942, his contributions to education won professional recognition and . . . — Map (db m49025) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — 120-6 — Mother of Georgia's Pecan Industry
Recognized officially and designated in 1923 by the American Tree Association as “The Mother of Georgia’s Pecan Industry,” the giant seedling just west of this marker was planted in 1848 in the flower and fruit garden of Judge and Mrs. . . . — Map (db m49055) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — Old Carnegie Library
(Side 1): The first formal meeting to organize a library association was held at Andrew College in April 1878 with Dr. A. L. Hamilton presiding. The thirteen members of the Cuthbert Library Club offered their book collections, and . . . — Map (db m49087) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — 120-9 — Randolph County
Randolph County was created by Act of Dec. 20, 1828 from Lee County. Originally Randolph County included all of what is now Stewart and Quitman and part of Terrell and Clay Counties. It was named for “John Randolph of Roanoke” . . . — Map (db m48626) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — 120-12 — Randolph County's First “College for Females”1852 - 1907
The Baptist Bethel Association, meeting in Benevolence in 1851, resolved to undertake “The Creation of an Educational Institution for Females, to be called THE BAPTIST FEMALE COLLEGE OF SOUTHWESTERN GEORGIA.” This site, in the little . . . — Map (db m48695) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — Shady Grove1843 - 1851
Original Site of Cuthbert Methodist Church — Map (db m49130) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — Site of First Church Building in Cuthbert, Georgia
The first church building in Cuthbert was erected on this site in 1839. Deacons Stephen Lundy and Allen Moye bought this lot from Jane Reynolds in 1837. The congregation of Mt. Zion Baptist Church, constituted in 1831, moved from their former . . . — Map (db m48579) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — Site of First Randolph County Courthouse
The area of this square marks the site of the first and second courthouses of Randolph County. The first, a two-story frame building, was erected in 1836. It was replaced in 1842 by a brick structure with entrances facing in four directions. A high . . . — Map (db m48221) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement