Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Richmond County Georgia Historical Markers

 
4th Infantry ( Ivy ) Division Marker,West face image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, 2008
4th Infantry ( Ivy ) Division Marker,West face
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 4th Infantry (Ivy) DivisionU.S. Army
[East Face]: First troops assigned to (Camp) Fort Gordon, Georgia upon activation in 1941 Troops arrived at Camp Gordon December 1941 and underwent rigid combat training here until April 1943. {Ivy Leaf Cross Emblem} Aisne . . . — Map (db m10057) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — A Memorial To Eli Whitney
For the invention of the American Cotton Gin A contribution to the resources of civilization and to the material welfare of The United States Erected by The New England Cotton Manufactures Association, MDCCCCII — Map (db m10000) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — American Gold Star Mothers Tribute
[North Face]: {USN Emblem} World War I In loving memory of our sons who gave their lives [East Face]: {US Army Emblem} World War II Dedicated to the glory of God and to the men of all wars. Erected By . . . — Map (db m10063) WM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Archibald Willingham Butt Memorial Bridge
In Honor Of Archibald Willingham Butt Born in Augusta Sept. 26, 1865. Graduated in the University of the South, 1880 Major in the United States Army. Trusted Aide-de-Camp of two presidents. Major Butt went to his death . . . — Map (db m34993) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Army National Guard
( West Face ) ( Minute Man National Guard Logo ) This Monument Placed In Honor Of All National Guardsmen 1984 ( North Face ) Especially Dedicated To The Officers And Men HQ & HQ Battery A Battery . . . — Map (db m10085) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Augusta Arsenal(Augusta State University)
In January 1861, U.S. Troops surrendered the Arsenal to the State of Georgia, soon to be part of the Confederacy. That year Confederates constructed a large shop building near the eastern wall to house several functions: Part was . . . — Map (db m56314) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Augusta Arsenal 1941(Campus of Augusta State University)
The towers, part of the 1941 construction for World War II, was home to the optical shop and was used for testing instruments that ensured the accuracy of artillery fire. Observing objects at known distances on the horizon, . . . — Map (db m56334) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Augusta College Three Original Arsenal Buildings
East face In 1973, Augusta College named three of the original arsenal buildings in honor of commandants of the arsenal. Payne Hall, storehouse and later headquarters for the arsenal and administrative building for the university, . . . — Map (db m47400) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Augusta Confederate MonumentOur Confederate Dead
[North Face]: In Memoriam "No Nation Rose So White And Fair: None Fell So Pure Of Crime" [West Face]: Erected A.D. 1878 by The Ladies Memorial Association of Augusta. In Honor of the men of Richmond County . . . — Map (db m9673) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Augusta Cotton Exchange
Organized 1872 Constructed 1886 Architect - Enoch William Brown Contractor - William Henry Goodrich Closed 1964 Entered in National Register of Historic Places 1978 — Map (db m9848) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-8 — Augusta State University
Augusta State University traces its roots to 1783 when its parent institution, the Academy of Richmond County, was chartered. Offering college-level classes to prepare students for admission into universities as sophomores or juniors, the Academy . . . — Map (db m15036) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Bell System at Augusta, Georgia
[Bell System Logo] The first telephone exchange in the State of Georgia was established at Augusta, Georgia August 1, 1879 With seventy eight subscribers, this was only three years after Alexander Graham Bell invented . . . — Map (db m10038) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-41 — Bellevue
Home of Freeman Walker, outstanding citizen of early Georgia. Born in Virginia in 1780, he came to Richmond County in his youth and studied law. Freeman Walker, in 1826, deeded 70 acres of land to the United States Government to be used as an . . . — Map (db m36488) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Bicentennial Augusta, Ga1735 — 1935 — (Oglethorpe, Lee and Lee Tribute)
(East face) Bicentennial Augusta, Ga 1735 — 1935 (West face) Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe, Founder - 1735 Gen. "Light-Horse" Harry Lee Revolutionary soldier, Commander - 1781 Gen. Robert Edward . . . — Map (db m32703) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-43 — Birthplace of General Joseph Wheeler
A short distance north of this place, General Joseph Wheeler was born on Sept. 10, 1836. He graduated from West Point in 1859 and held the rank of 2nd lieutenant when the Civil War broke out. Resigning his commission in the Mounted Rifles, U.S.A., . . . — Map (db m14829) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-35 — Birthplace of the Augusta Chronicle
On this site August 30, 1785, Greenburg Hughes published Augusta`s first newspaper, the Augusta Gazette, which continued, after he went to Charleston, until September 30, 1786, when John Erdman Smith, State Printer, began publishing the Georgia . . . — Map (db m10092) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-1 — Bobby Jones and the Beginning of the Grand Slam
On the golf links of the Forrest Hills-Ricker Hotel, Bobby Jones won the Southeastern Open of 1930. He went on to victory that year in the British Amateur, British Open, U.S. Open, and U.S. Amateur –- golf’s Grand Slam and a feat yet to be . . . — Map (db m21288) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-18 — Boyhood Home of Woodrow Wilson
Woodrow Wilson, later to become 27th President of the United States, lived in this Manse of the First Presbyterian Church of which his father, Dr. Joseph R. Wilson, was pastor from 1858 to 1870. Wilson was born in Staunton, Va., in 1856 and he later . . . — Map (db m9856) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-3 — Church Of The Most Holy TrinityEstablished in 1810
The current sanctuary was constructed from 1857-63 and is one of the oldest Catholic Church buildings in Georgia. It was designed by J.R. Niernsee, architect of the State House in Columbia, South Carolina. The original 1814 structure served as the . . . — Map (db m9993) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Colonel William Few, Jr.
[Marker Front]: One of Georgia's two signers of the United States Constitution. Born in Baltimore, Maryland June 18, 1748. Lieutenant Colonel, Georgia Militia during the American Revolution, 1776-1770. Representative, Georgia . . . — Map (db m10108) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Colonial Augusta
"The settlement of Augusta is of great service ...the Key of all the Indian Countrey" — James Edward Oglethorpe, 1739 James Edward Oglethorpe captured the lucrative Indian trade for the colony of Georgia, when he founded Augusta . . . — Map (db m64103) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Confederate Obelisk-Chimney
(West side) This Obelisk-Chimney, Sole remnant of the extensive powder-works here erected under the auspices of the Confederate Government. Is, by the Confederate Survivors Association of Augusta, with . . . — Map (db m32871) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-20 — Confederate Powder Works››——→
Obelisk chimney one-third mile (from here) marks center of Confederate Powder Works which extended two miles along the river and was the principal powder factory in the South during the War. It supplied Confederate armies with abundant gunpowder of . . . — Map (db m33454) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Curtis Baptist ChurchAugusta, Georgia
Organized January 7, 1876 Centennial Observance January 11, 1976 "Preaching Christ the hope of all mankind" — Map (db m9637) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — US 1 A11 — De L Aigle Brick Yard
In 1808, Nicholas de L' Aigle, a French refugee, established brick yards 1/4 mile south which furnished Augusta with building brick for 75 years. River clay was "pugged" to the right constency in a cylindrical vat by a stone turned with . . . — Map (db m38190) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — US1 A 11 — De L Aigle Brick Yards
In 1808, Nicholas de L Aigle, a French refugee established brick yards 1/4 mile south which furnished Augusta with building bricks for 75 years. River clay was "pugged" to the right consisteney in a cylindrical vat by a stone turned with . . . — Map (db m38189) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-50 — De Soto In Georgia
In May 1539 Hernando de Soto landed in Florida with over 600 people, 220 horses and mules, and a herd of swine reserved for famine. Fired by his success in Pizarro's conquest of Peru, De Soto had been granted the rights, by the King of Spain, to . . . — Map (db m27278) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Dennis Cahill
By deed of self-sacrifice, such as all humanity claims and counts amoung its jewels, hallowed this spot and rendered his name worthy of such Lasting Memory as these rugged stones and this simple tablet can secure. For . . . — Map (db m34003) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Dr. John M. Tutt1886 - 1968
Revered as a teacher and a coach, "Professor Tutt" began his career under the leadership of Miss Lucy C. Laney at Haines Institute, where he remained from 1906 to 1949, longer than anyone else. From Lincoln University (Pennsylvania), he . . . — Map (db m36138) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-52 — Emily Harvie Thomas Tubman1794-1885
Born in Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia on March 21, 1794. Grew up in Kentucky under guardianship of Henry Clay. Visited Augusta in 1818, where she met and married Richard Tubman, wealthy merchant. After his death in 1836, she became interested in . . . — Map (db m9995) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Emily Tubman Monument
. . . — Map (db m9996) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Eve1806 - 1877
Paul Fitzsimmons Eve, native Augustan and a founder of the Medical College of Georgia, was a brilliant surgeon recognized internationally and a prolific writer. His war activities included aid to French, Italian and Confederate forces and service as . . . — Map (db m9997) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-15 — Explosion At The Confederate Powder Works
In August, 1864, a violent explosion destroyed the granulating building of the Augusta Powder Works, one of the 28 buildings of the Confederacy’s massive gunpowder mill along Augusta Canal. Eight men and a boy died when 18,000 pounds of gunpowder . . . — Map (db m53946) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Family Burying Ground on Good Hope Plantation
This cemetery was the family burying ground on Good Hope Plantation granted in part by King George III to John Twiggs Brigadier General in the Revolutionary Army afterward Major General of Militia — Map (db m61872) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — First Baptist Church Convention
On this site May 8, 1845 The Southern Baptist Convention was organized by 327 delegates from the states of Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Louisana, Kentucky and District of Columbia. . . . — Map (db m10130) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-9 — First Christian Church(Disciples of Christ)
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) began in Kentucky in the early years of the nineteenth century. Dr. Daniel Hook and Captain and Mrs. Edward Campfield established Augusta’s First Christian Church in 1835, despite great suspicion and . . . — Map (db m14884) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Five Indian Nations
To commemorate the great congress of five Indian Nations held here at Fort Augusta in 1763. When seven hundred Indians came to meet the Governors of Georgia, Virginia, North and South Carolina. — Map (db m9899) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Fort Augusta
This stone marks the site of the Colonial Fort Augusta, built by order of General Oglethorpe and the trustees in 1736; and known, during the Revolution as Fort Cornwallis. St. Paul Church was built in 1750, under the curtain of . . . — Map (db m9803) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-30 — Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church
This site selected by fur traders Kennedy O`Brien and Roger de Lacy as a trading post to be nearer the Indians than Savannah Town, (in present Beech Island). To protect them and others, General Oglethorpe in 1735 built here Fort Augusta (so named . . . — Map (db m9723) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-4 — Fort Grierson
Approximate location of Ft. Grierson, named after British Lt. Col. James Grierson, who commanded a temporary stronghold at this place during occupation of Augusta by the British under Col. Brown from May, 1780, to June, 1781. After a rendezvous . . . — Map (db m9746) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Founding of Augusta
Following the establishment of Georgia's first settlement at Savannah in 1733, General James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the colony, learned of a thriving trading village on the Carolina bank of the Savannah River located near the head of . . . — Map (db m10321) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-17 — Gen. Montgomery C. Meigs, U.S.A.
One of two native Georgians who served as generals in the U.S. Army during the Civil War, Montgomery C. Meigs was born here on May 3, 1816, grandson of a University of Georgia president. After graduating from West Point, he oversaw construction of . . . — Map (db m61640) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — General George Washington
To Honor The Memory of General George Washington Guest of Our City 1791 Placed By Elizabeth Washington Chapter D.A.R. 1932 — Map (db m9742) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — General James Edward Oglethorpe
(South face) General James Edward Oglethorpe 1696 - 1785 Father of Georgia Founder of Augusta (East face) Founder of Georgia Member of Parliament English Prison Reformer Military General . . . — Map (db m63749) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — George Walton
[Masonic Emblem] To George Walton (1749 - 1804) Signer of the Declaration of Independence Patriot - Soldier - Statesman - Jurist - Freemason Born a Virginian he became a Georgian in about 1770. An early leader in the Liberty . . . — Map (db m33287) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-5 — Georgia R.R. & Banking Co.
On May 21, 1837, Georgia Railroad and Banking Company operated from this place the first railroad train in Georgia. It is the oldest railroad in Georgia continuously operating under its original charter. Though extensive portions of its lines were . . . — Map (db m33110) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-49 — Georgia’s First School of Medicine
The property on which the Widows Home is located was the site of Augusta’s first City Hospital. Constructed in 1818, the hospital provided for the “sick poor” of Augusta and later evolved into the present University Hospital. At City . . . — Map (db m21519) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-9 — Georgia's State Capital
Augusta served as the capital of Georgia from 1785 until 1795 when the seat of government was moved to the new capital, Louisville. The Georgia General Assembly met at this site in a two-story building on the corner of Elbert (Fourth) and . . . — Map (db m9747) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Great Indian Trading Path
The colonial Great Indian Trading Path crossed land now a part of Augusta College and followed a part of the present McDowell Street. It was variously called Trading Road, Augusta Road, and the Creek Indian Path. Early platts show it on land owned . . . — Map (db m10008) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Great Indian Warrior / Trading Path(The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road)
The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the governors of NY, PA, & VA and the . . . — Map (db m9906) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-14 — Haines Normal and Industrial Institute
Established by influential educator Lucy Craft Laney, the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute was chartered in 1886 and grew to include a Kindergarten to Junior College curriculum, the Lamar School of Nursing, and a teacher training program. . . . — Map (db m34807) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Historic Site in Journalism
The Augusta Chronicle is the South's oldest surviving newspaper, in continuous publication. The Chronicle was founded on September 30, 1786. It dates its origins back to August 30, 1785 and the founding of The Augusta Gazette which . . . — Map (db m10102) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-13 — Home of Governor Telfair
Here stood the home of Edward Telfair. He was one of the group of young patriots led by Joseph Habersham, who broke open the British powder magazine at Savannah on May 11, 1775 and carried away the powder for future use in the Revolutionary War. . . . — Map (db m32360) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-22 — Home of John Forsyth››—→
This house was part of the home of John Forsyth located on this property. As U.S. Minister to Spain, in 1819 Forsyth negotiated the treaty by which Florida was acquired by the United States. He was Congressman from Georgia, 1813- 1818; 1823- 1827; . . . — Map (db m33624) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-31 — Home of Richard Henry Wilde←——«
Richard Henry Wilde, one of Georgia`s most gifted sons - poet, scholar. lawyer, statesman. lived in this house from 1825 to 1842. Born in Dublin, Ireland, Spet. 24, 1789, he moved to Augusta with his parents in 1802. He was listed as a merchant and . . . — Map (db m36234) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — James Brown (Plaza)
Singer, songwriter, musician and one-of-a-kind performer, James Brown has thrilled millions around the world with his hit recordings and electrifying performances. The 1983 Georgia Music Hall of Fame inductee, 1986 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame . . . — Map (db m63739) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — James Edward OglethorpeFounder of Augusta
James Edward Oglethorpe was descended from aristocratic English family. As a young man he represented the borough of Haslemere in Parliament, where he led inquires into prison conditions and became interested in social reforms. . . . — Map (db m63742) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — James Ryder Randall1839 — 1908
"Better the fire upon thee roll, Better the blade, the shot, the bowl, Than Crucifixion of the soul, Maryland! My Maryland!" — Map (db m10106) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Jefferson Davis Bridge
Jefferson Davis West Point Graduate Class of 1828 * * * Services: Indian Wars 1829- 1835 Member of Congress 1845-'46 Colonel U.S. Army Hero of Buena Vista and Monterey Secretary of War 1853-'57 Senator from Mississippi . . . — Map (db m9645) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Jessye NormanInternational Opera Star and Humanitarian
Riverwalk Amphitheater and Plaza named in honor of Jessye Norman, internationally acclaimed opera star, born in Augusta, Georgia, September 15, 1945. Miss Norman began singing at Mounty Calvary Baptist Church, 1260 Wrightsboro Road. She . . . — Map (db m10032) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-13 — John McClinton Tutt1886-1968
For over six decades, John Tutt educated Augusta's youth at the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute and Lucy Craft Laney High School. After graduating from Lincoln University in 1905, Tutt returned to Augusta to teach Mathematics. Coach Tutt's . . . — Map (db m36621) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-6 — Joseph R. Lamar, Associate JusticeSupreme Court of the United States
Joseph Rucker Lamar (1857-1916) lived in this manse from 1860-1875 while his father, James Sanford Lamar, was pastor of First Christian Church. A prominent attorney, he served two terms in the Georgia legislature and codified the civil code of . . . — Map (db m14886) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Joseph Wheeler
Born on this site Sept. 10, 1836 Lt. Gen. Com. Confederate Cavalry 1865 Maj. Gen. Com. U.S. Cavalry 1898 "His name and fame will live and be loved as long as noble deeds are honored among men" Placed by Annie Wheeler Auxiliary No. 3, . . . — Map (db m47464) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-42 — LaFayette Visits Augusta
This is the site of the old Planter`s Hotel, which was burned in 1839. There the Marquis de LaFayette was entertained during his visit to Augusta in March 1825. LaFayette landed at Savannah on March 19th and traveled to Augusta with Governor Troup a . . . — Map (db m35526) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-10 — Lucy Craft Laney(1854-1933)
A leading educator of the nineteenth century, Lucy Craft Laney was born into a free African-American household in Macon, Georgia. In 1873 she was part of Atlanta University’s first graduating class. After teaching in Macon, Milledgeville, and . . . — Map (db m37301) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Magnolia Cemetery
Covering seven city blocks, the cemetery was begun on a part of the de L’Aigle Plantation and Brick Yard, donated by the Nicholas de L’Aigie family. It became known as the City Cemetery in 1818 and was later named for its stately magnolia trees. . . . — Map (db m6612) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Major Ferdinand Phinizy
In Memory Of Major Ferdinand Phinizy Who Died October 19th, 1818 In The 57th Year Of His Age He was a native of Parma in Italy, but in early life became a citizen of the United States. He shared in the struggles, advocated the . . . — Map (db m10273) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Meadow Garden
Residence George Walton 1792 - 1804 Signer of The Declaration of Independence Delegate to Continental Congress Representative & Senator Chief Justice and Twice Governor of Georgia W.P.A. 1936 D.A.R. — Map (db m33201) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-34 — Meadow GardenHome of George Walton ← 400 Ft. —«
400 feet west of here is Meadow Garden, home of George Walton, Revolutionary Patriot and soldier, Governor, Congressman, Senator, Jurist. With Button Gwinnett and Lyman Hall, he signed the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776, for the State of . . . — Map (db m33358) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-14 — Medical College Building
On this property, owned by the Trustees of Richmond Academy, this building was designed by the distinguished Georgia architect, Charles B. Cluskey, for the use by the Medical College of Georgia. It was occupied by the Medical College from its . . . — Map (db m107427) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-38 — MontroseHome of Col. Charles Colcock Jones, Jr., LL. D.
Col. Jones was mayor of Savannah in 1860. In 1861 he joined the Chatham Artillery and served, later, as Chief of Artillery for the Military District of Georgia and the Third Military District of South Carolina. After the war, he practiced law in New . . . — Map (db m34482) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — #72000398 — Old Medical College
. . . — Map (db m10089) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Original Augusta Common - 1736
Common - " ... a large void space which will be useful for a thousand purposes, and among the rest, as being airy and affording a fine prospect of the town in drawing near to it"    —Sir Robert Montgomery, 1717 Providing a . . . — Map (db m64419) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121- 46 — Paine College
Paine Institute, rechartered as Paine College in 1903, was founded Nov. 1, 1882, by the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Epicscopal Church, South, at the urgent request of Bishop Lucious Holsey of the C.M.E. Church. The first . . . — Map (db m31673) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Paine College Founding Site
Paine College was founded as Paine Institute on this spot in 1882 by black and white members of the Colored (now Christian) Methodist Episcopal Church, and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South (now United Methodist Church). Ths institution, founded . . . — Map (db m9988) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-37 — Pierce Memorial Methodist Church
One of the early Methodist Churches in this section, Pierce Memorial was first called Rocks Church, then Pierce Chapel for Bishop George F. Pierce, leading Georgia Methodist. The first building was erected across the road by slave labor soon after . . . — Map (db m37156) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Railroads
Business interests in Charleston, South Carolina financed the construction of America's first commercial railroad in 1833 in an effort to capture a greater share of the upland cotton, was formerly transported by raft or steamboat to . . . — Map (db m10195) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-27 — Richmond County
Originally designated as the Parish of St. Paul by the Act creating it in 1758, the name was changed in 1777 to Richmond County in honor of the Duke of Richmond, who, as a member of Parliament, was a zealous supporter of the American cause, . . . — Map (db m9706) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Samuel Hammond
Born in Richmond County, Virginia, Sept. 1757, Died at Varello, near Augusta, Sept. 1842. Patriot,       Soldier,       Statesman. Captain of minutemen at Great Kanahwa, 1774. Long Bridge, Norfolk,                               1775. . . . — Map (db m9802) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-44 — Signal Corps Aviation School1911 - 1913
On the Barnes farm, south and east of this marker, one of the first military aviation training centers in the U.S. was established in 1911. After successful test flights of the second Wright airplane in 1909, the Wright brothers agreed to the . . . — Map (db m33763) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-4 — Spirit Creek Baptist Church
In July 1800, this church was organized in a canebrake on Spirit Creek by slaves on the Twiggs plantation. The Reverend J.W. Sutton served as the first pastor. In July 1868, the church purchased 14 and 1/2 acres here on Butler Creek and moved to . . . — Map (db m15333) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-51 — Springfield Baptist Church Birthplace of Morehouse College
This building, which was erected in 1801 by Augusta`s first Methodist Society, was moved to this location in 1844 to become the home of the Springfield Baptist Church. Organized in 1787 by Jesse Peters, the Springfield Baptist Church is the . . . — Map (db m31505) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — St. James United Methodist Church
In 1798 the Methodist Church was incorporated in Augusta and known as the “Augusta Station.” St. John Methodist Episcopal Church was the mother church formed out of this movement and St. James Methodist Episcopal Church was created in . . . — Map (db m23079) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Stephen Vincent Benet House
First built 1816 rebuilt on this site 1826 Home of famous author Stephen Vincent Benet whose father Colonel James Walker Benet commanded Augusta Arsenal 1911 to 1919 — Map (db m46873) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-5 — Stoney Nurses Homeof the Lamar School of Nursing
This building, named for Dr. George N. Stoney, a prominent local black physician, opened in 1909 to house students of Lamar School of Nursing. The school, founded in 1897 by Lucy Craft Laney and Dr. William H. Doughty, was one of the first nursing . . . — Map (db m15337) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-36 — Summerville Cemetery
In this cemetery are buried the following eminent Georgians: JOHN MILLEDGE (1757-1818), Revolutionary officer, Congressman, Governor (1802-1806). He gave the land on which the University of Georgia is built. GEORGE WALKER CRAWFORD . . . — Map (db m14871) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Tank, Combat, 90MM GunM48
The M48 Tank was designed in 1954. The tank weight is 45 tons. It has an aircooled 810 hp engine and carries a crew of four. Armament consists of two machine guns in addition to the 90mm gun which has a maximum effective range of 2.7 miles. . . . — Map (db m35028) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-16 — Thankful Baptist Church
Thankful Baptist Church was founded on April 26, 1840 under the name “Independent” in an area of Augusta known as “Pinched Gut”. It was the first daughter church established out of Springfield Baptist Church who emerged . . . — Map (db m48993) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — The “Haunted” Pillar of the Lower Market
On this site stood The Lower Market. Fire destroyed an early structure in 1829. The rebuilt market, with its bell that could be heard throughout the city, was a center of agricultural and livestock trade. A freakish, cyclone blasted the structure in . . . — Map (db m21421) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-25 — The Augusta Arsenal
For a period of 128 years until its abandonment in 1955, a United States Arsenal was located on a tract comprising approxiamately 70 acres lying South and West of this spot. An "arsenal at Augusta" to aid the state in "resisting invasion" was . . . — Map (db m34706) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — L22 — The Augusta ArsenalA "great arsenal of construction..."
On January 24, 1861 five days after Georgia's secession from the Union, Governor Joseph E. Brown accepted the surrender of the United States Arsenal at Augusta from Captain Arnold Elzey. {Picture included} Brown rejected Elzey's . . . — Map (db m36086) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-1 — The Augusta Canal»—→
The Augusta Canal, begun in 1845 and comleted in 1847, provided power for one of the first cotton textile manufacturing plants in the South and was the beginning of the development of Augusta as a great textile manufacturing center. The canal . . . — Map (db m33907) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — The Augusta CanalPowder Works and Mills
The tall chimney in front of the Sibley Mill is the only surviving structure built by the Confederacy, and stands as a memorial to war dead. Augusta and its canal played a prominent role in the War between the States as the site of . . . — Map (db m34213) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — The Augusta CanalEnterprise Mill
Until the Enterprise Mill was built Augustans were not sure that the 1875 enlargement of the canal had worked to attract industry. The 1848 granite block building at the canal end of this complex is a former flour mill and the only . . . — Map (db m36308) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — The Bell at Augusta State University
The Bell, donated to the College by the Georgia Railroad Bank, came from the last steam locomotive of the Georgia Railroad. In 1957, the bank also funded the building of the tower to house the bell, which at one time rang to mark the . . . — Map (db m47808) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — The Colonial Church of Augusta
"But as Indian Friendship is sometimes precarious, we have built it opposite one of the Curtains of the Fort." Augusta, April 12, 1750 In June 1737, under orders from General James Oglethorpe, Captain Roger Lacy began a . . . — Map (db m55626) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — L23 — The Confederate States Powder Works"...the best powder mill in the world..."
When the conflict began in April 1861, leaders on both sides were unprepared to wage a long war. The Confederacy's industrial capacity was especially lacking, and munitions of all types were scarce. Initial stores of gunpowder . . . — Map (db m32882) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-17 — The First Academy of Richmond County‹——«
One block east on Bay Street was opened as a boys' classicial school on April 12, 1785. Here President George Washington attended examinations in 1791. The buildings housed the General Assembly of Georgia when Augusta was the capital, the . . . — Map (db m34128) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-29 — The First Baptist Church
In March 1817, eight men and two women meeting in an Augusta home formed "The Baptist Praying Society of Augusta" - the forerunner of the First Baptist Church. Two months later the society was constituted a church under the leadership of the first . . . — Map (db m10135) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — The First Presbyterian Church
[Lower Marker]: The origin of this church is 1750 when St. Paul's Church was established under the jurisdiction of the Church of England. In 1804 Christ Church was incorporated at St. Pauls's as a Presbyterian congregation. . . . — Map (db m9784) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-11 — The First Presbyterian Church
Organized by the Rev. Washington McKnight, rector of Richmond Academy, in 1804. Met at first at site of St. Paul`s Church, incorporated by the Georgia General Assembly and given a lot on the common by Richmond Academy Trustees. Cornerstone of the . . . — Map (db m9838) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-39 — The Home of Charles Jones Jenkins, Jr., LL. D.
After rendering valuable aid to his State as a justice of the Georgia Supreme Court (1860-1865). Charles Jones Jenkins was elected Governor in 1865. For defying certain reconstruction measures of Congress and military orders, he was replaced by Gen. . . . — Map (db m35251) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-23 — The Mayham Tower
Approximately at this place, May 28-31, 1781, a Mayham tower was erected by the American forces commanded by General Andrew Pickens and Lt. Colonel "Light Horse Harry" Lee, who was besieging Fort Cornwallis, located on the present site of Saint . . . — Map (db m9808) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-3 — The Medical College of Georgia←——«
The Medical College of Georgia, oldest school of medicine in Georgia, was incorporated in 1828 as the Medical Academy of Georgia. Of the 23 original board of Trustees, 5 were from the City of Augusta and three of these were elected as the initial . . . — Map (db m34253) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-28 — The Signer's Monument
Dedicated July 4, 1848, in honor of the signers of the Declaration of Independence for Georgia: George Walton, Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett. The first two lie buried in crypts beneath this shaft. The burial place of Gwinnett, whose body was to . . . — Map (db m9946) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-11 — The Sisters of Saint Joseph In Augusta
Members of the seventeenth-century French Order of Saint Joseph of Carondelet were first invited to Georgia at the end of the Civil War to teach and staff an orphanage in Savannah. Working with the children of African Americans, the Sisters of St. . . . — Map (db m36714) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — The Veterans of 1898-1902
"You Triumphed Over Obstacles Which Would Have Overcome Men Less Brave And Determined"                        President McKinley Dedicated to The Veterans Of 1898 to 1902 by Department of Georgia National Auxiliary . . . — Map (db m10187) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Troop K Georgia Cavalry
1795 Richmond Hussars Troop K Georgia Cavalry Glorified in Every War 1917 ( Rear ) [ Emblem: Last Man's Club ] Honor Roll of the Last Man's Club organized 24 December 1929 and dedicated to Men Of . . . — Map (db m32998) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-26 — Twiggs Cemetery<-------<<<
In the cemetery about 300 yards from here are buried Major-General John Twiggs, a hero of the American Revolution, for whom Twiggs County is named, and his son, Major-General David Emanuel Twiggs, who achieved military distinction in the Mexican War . . . — Map (db m61699) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-45 — Two Early Augusta Churches
St. John Methodist Church was founded in 1798 by Stith Mead, a young Virginia minister who denounced the worldliness of fun-loving Augusta. Biship Francis Asbury visited the church and watched its growth with particular interest. Augustus B. . . . — Map (db m10200) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-12 — U.S. Marshall Robert Forsyth( 1754-1794 )
Robert Forsyth was the first law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty. Captain of Light Dragoons in Henry "Light-Horse Harry" Lee's cavalry during the Revolutionary War, Forsyth had been appointed the first marshal for the District of . . . — Map (db m10164) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Untitled (Georgia Railroad and Banking Company)
2200 feet to the southwest at a place indicated by a marker of the Georgia Historical Commission, Georgia Railroad and Banking Company on May 21, 1837 operated the first railroad in Georgia. It is the oldest railroad in Georgia continuously . . . — Map (db m61570) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Veterans of All Wars — Augusta, Ga.
Dedicated to The Glory Of God And To The Veterans Of All Wars Dedicated November 11, 1983Map (db m34574) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Village of SummervilleNational Register of Historic Places, 1980
While not incorporated as a separate community until 1861 (with boundaries being a circle with a one mile radius from Gould's Corner), Summerville was occupied before the turn of the 19th Century. Early residents included George Walton (signer of . . . — Map (db m49963) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Walker Family Cemetery
Freeman Walker, in 1826, deeded 70 acres of land to the U. S. Govt. to be used as an arsenal – the site now of Augusta College. He reserved one acre as a family burial ground. The marker in front of his home “Bellvue”, on . . . — Map (db m63573) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 148-7 — Ware High SchoolCivil Rights Milestone
Near this site stood Ware High School, which was the first public high school for African-Americans in Georgia and one of only five in the south while it was in operation. Founded in 1880, it was named for Edmund Asa Ware, Freedman`s Bureau Officer . . . — Map (db m37094) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-2 — Washington's Southern Tour
During his Southern tour of 1791, President George Washington visited Augusta--at that time Georgia`s capital--from May 18-21. Washington met with Governor Edward Telfair and other "principal gentlemen of the place," including George Walton and John . . . — Map (db m9708) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-48 — White HouseTract
The 500-acres parcel of land long known as the “White House Tract” witnessed many of Augusta’s most significant historical events. On this tract an Indian trading company known as MacKay’s Trading Post, or the White House, flourished. . . . — Map (db m23265) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
William Bartram Visits Augusta 1773 for Indian Ceded Lands Treaty. 1775 said . . . ."Augusta would become the Metropolis of Georgia" — Map (db m9762) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-7 — William Bartram Visited Augusta, 1773.
"The village of Augusta." wrote the celebrated American naturalist and botanist of his visits in 1765 and 1773, "is situated on a rich and fertile plain of the Savanna River; the buildings are near its banks and extend two miles. The site of Augusta . . . — Map (db m9761) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-8 — William Makepeace Thackeray
In the "Masonic Hall" on this site, the British author lectured (Feb. 11-12, 1856), as guest of The Young Men's Library Assn. He wrote home: "Nice quaint old town Augusta, rambling great street 2 miles long, doctors and shopkeepers the society of . . . — Map (db m9987) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — William Schley 1786 - 1858Governor of Georgia 1835- 1837 — Grand Master of Georgia 1828- 1831
Masonic Emblem In this family cemetery rest the remains of William Schley, Governor and Grand Master of Georgia. Brother Schley was born in Frederick, Maryland December 10, 1786 and acquired his education in the academies at Louisville and . . . — Map (db m27065) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Woodmen Of The World MemorialDum Tacet Clamat
( West Face ) ( Emblem ) In the Sacred Memory Of The Men Of Richmond County Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice World War I { List of Names } World War II { List of Names } Time Shall Not Dim The Glory Of Their Deeds . . . — Map (db m10272) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — World War1917       1918
[Front]: To honor the men of Richmond County, of every creed and color, who served at their country's call that aggression and lawless force should not dominate the world. [Reverse]: What stands if freedom fall?         . . . — Map (db m10211) WM
Georgia (Richmond County), Hephzibah — 121-32 — Hephzibah Methodist Church»—→
The Brothersville Methodist Church was organized in March 1852 in the community of Brothersville to serve the fifteen families living there. The building completed in 1853, was dedicated in 1854 by Bishop George Pierce. In 1890 the church was moved . . . — Map (db m44513) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Hephzibah, — 121-47 — Liberty Methodist Church
Liberty, which evolved out of a Methodist society organized about 1775, is Georgia`s oldest Methodist Church. The original log church was erected west of here by Samuel Collins who, in 1773, had emigrated from Ireland. The present church building is . . . — Map (db m35340) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Hepzibah — 121-7 — First Ebenezer Baptist Church
This congregation began when a handful of slaves gathered for services on the Rhodes Plantation in August 1812. In 1851 Absalom A. Rhodes sold a quarter acre of land here for two dollars to the deacon board of Ebenezer Baptist Church. The . . . — Map (db m14885) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), near Bath — 121-6 — Author "The Young Marooners"»—1mi.→
Francis Robert Goulding, preacher, teacher, author, inventor, as minister of the Bath Presbyterian Church from 1843 to 1851, occupied its manse, about 1 mile North. During that time he wrote the most popular of his several books: " The Young . . . — Map (db m36715) HM

128 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement