Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Screven County Georgia Historical Markers

 
The March to the Sea Marker looking South on US 301 image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud
The March to the Sea Marker looking South on US 301
Georgia (Screven County), Cooperville — 124-25 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive Campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [Union] into two wings. The Left Wing . . . — Map (db m8355) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Dover — 124-13 — Cooperville
This village was a center of religious educational and social activity for Southeast Georgia prior to the War Between the States. It was established by William Cooper about 1790 when he acquired the 1100 acres originally granted to Nobel Jones. His . . . — Map (db m10399) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Dover — 124-12 — Louisville Road
This road was established pursuant to an Act passed by the Colonial Assembly April 2nd, 1770. It connected the early settlement of Queensboro, at the head of Ogeechee River navigation, with Savannah. It became one of the most important stage and . . . — Map (db m10714) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Farmdale — 124-10 — Washington Slept Here
"Monday, May 16th, 1791" wrote President George Washington in his diary as he recorded the date of his lodging in the Inn of Stephen Calfrey Pearce, 200 yards [from] this marker. Being forewarned, the Pearces had made lavish preparation for the . . . — Map (db m16434) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Girard — Bethel United Methodist Church (Brick Church) 1827
In 1792 Bishop Francis Asbury on his yearly visit to Methodist Societies and Churches in Georgia held services while staying with the Lovetts, owners of Burton Ferry Landing, Savannah River. In 1811 Bishop Asbury stopped with “David Lovett, . . . — Map (db m11305) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Girard — 124-20 — Brick (Bethel) Church
On Dec. 5, 1827 the Rev. Peyton L. Wade conveyed to John Green, John H. Smith, Robert W. Lovett, Richard Herringtom, Sr., Jacob Lewis, Elijah Roberts and John H. Nessmith, Trustees, two and three quarter acres of land on which to build a Methodist . . . — Map (db m11303) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Hiltonia — Wesleyanna Memorial Church Formerly Wesleyanna M.E. Church
Organized 1868 under bush arbor on Stephen D. Lewis farm by Elder Theo. A. Pharr, John Hardy Bolton, Julia Wells Bolton, Stephen D. Lewis, Martha Howard Lewis, Paul Jenkins, Temperance Jenkins, Fulton L. Oglesby, Mary Bolton Oglesby and Mary Lewis . . . — Map (db m23299) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Millhaven — 124-4 — British Army Crossing
On the morning of March 2nd, 1779, the British Command of Lieut.-Col. Prevost reached the west bank of the creek here after an all night march from Hudson's Ferry. The bridge had been destroyed by Col. Leonard Marbury's Dragons guarding the rear of . . . — Map (db m11300) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Millhaven — 124-3 — Paris' Mill
The earliest trade center and industrial development in interior Georgia was established here before the Revolutionary War by Francis Paris, Senior. A rick dam was constructed across the creek, of which it is said that the 400 horse power developed . . . — Map (db m11077) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Newington — 124-2 — British Headquarters
Near Hudson`s Ferry, about four miles east of Newington, General Augustine Prevost in command of 4000 British regulars made headquarters and constructed redoubts in February, 1779. The complete occupation of Georgia was directed and effected from . . . — Map (db m7798) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Newington — 124-14 — North Newington Baptist Church
This church was constituted at Newington Plantation, Chatham County, 1793, in the home of Thomas Polhill. Meetings alternated between the Polhill home near Goshen settlement and the Fox family home near King`s Bridge on the Ogeechee River until . . . — Map (db m16417) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Oliver — 124-23B — The Confederate Line at Ogeechee Church, No. 4 ½, CRR
On Nov. 28, 1864, Maj. Gen. H.C. Wayne, Adj. Gen. of Georgia, with a small force (CS) composed of the Corps of Cadets, Georgia Military Institute, Warthen`s Washington County militia company and Pruden`s battery, fell back from Millen and entrenched . . . — Map (db m13093) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Rocky Ford — 124-1 — First County Seat
Between 1765 and 1770 a group of settlers, mostly from North Carolina, settled and received grants for land in the vicinity of what is now Rockyford. Among these first settlers were, Benjamin Lanier, Lemuel Lanier, Valentine Hollingsworth, . . . — Map (db m13131) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sheppards — 124-22 — Middle Ground Baptist Church
Middle Ground Baptist Church was constituted July 24, 1827, by the following members; Rev. Moses N. McCall, John R. Thompson, Samuel Newton, George W. Best, Ann Newton, Rhoda Thompson and Alley Anderson. John R. Thompson was the first Deacon and . . . — Map (db m16514) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-20 — Battle of Brier Creek - Mar. 3, 1779
In early February, 1779, the Southern Armies of the United States and Great Britain were facing across the Savannah River on a battle line reaching from Savannah to the Broad River above Augusta. The British controlled Georgia and the Americans . . . — Map (db m11212) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-9 — Burton's Ferry
In 1765, Robert Dunn established a ferry here. It became the gateway for settlers from the Carolinas and Virginia claiming grants in the newly opened lands of interior Georgia. In 1772 Dunn sold to the enterprising Thomas Burton who made a large . . . — Map (db m6542) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — General Samuel Elbert
Near this spot, March 3rd, 1779, General Samuel Elbert, then Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Georgia, Free and Accepted Masons, commanding 60 Continentals and 150 Georgia Militia, made one of the most gallant stands against overwhelming odds of . . . — Map (db m11625) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-8 — Jacksonboro
The establishment of Jacksonboro as the county seat of Screven County was authorized by an Act of the General Assembly, Feb. 1, 1797. James H. Rutherford, Francis Jones, Martin Martin, Anthony Bonnell, Sr., and Stephen Pearce were appointed . . . — Map (db m7776) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-19 — John Abbot
John Abbot, world famed entomologist and collector of Lepidoptera came to Georgia from London in 1790, and settled in Jacksonboro, where he remained many years collecting Lepidopterous insects. He was sent to Georgia by a London collector and . . . — Map (db m24022) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-6 — Screven County
Screven County was created by an Act of the General Assembly of Georgia, December 14th, 1793. It was named for General James Screven. The first county seat and court house was the home of Benjamin Lanier at what is now Rocky Ford. In a companion . . . — Map (db m7799) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-24A — Sherman's Advance
On the night of Dec. 4, 1864, Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, and Hq. 17th Corps, Maj. Gen. F.P. Blair, USA were established at this point, 1 miles NE of Cameron (Station No. 5-1/2, CRR) and 1 mile S of Paris . . . — Map (db m7882) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-16 — Sylvania
Sylvania was established as the county seat of Screven County by an Act of the General Assembly, December 24, 1847. Moses N. McCall, Willis Young, John A. Cross, John R. Kittles, Solomon Zeagler, William Lovett and John Roberts were named . . . — Map (db m7797) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-23A — The 14th Corps
On Dec. 5, 1865, Maj. Gen. Jeff. C. Davis` 14th Corps of Gen. Sherman`s army (USA), which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, camped at Jacksonboro. Carlin`s and Morgan`s divisions had marched via Lumpkin`s Station . . . — Map (db m7774) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-5 — The Goodall House
The two story frame dwelling 200 yards west, built in 1815 by Seaborn Goodall, is all that is left of old Jacksonboro. In it, in 1821, the itinerant preacher Lorenzo Dow found refuge when he was attacked by the rowdies of the town, whom he had . . . — Map (db m7824) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-11 — Washington's Route
President Washington passed here early on the morning of Tuesday, May 17th, 1791, enroute to the home of William Skinner with whom he had breakfast. The Skinner home, still standing (1953), is about 5 miles northwest. President Washington spent the . . . — Map (db m7795) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement