Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Talbot County Georgia Historical Markers

 
First Session Supreme Court of Georgia Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Dover, January 19, 2011
First Session Supreme Court of Georgia Marker
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — 130-1 — First Session Supreme Court of Georgia
At Talbotton on Jan. 26, 1846, the first meeting of the Supreme Court of Georgia was held in the dining hall of the old Claiborne Hotel which stood one block west of this marker. Judge Hiram Warner and Judge Eugenius A. Nisbet were present. Judge . . . — Map (db m27365) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — 130-9 — George Washington Towns
George Washington Towns was born in Wilkes County, Georgia, May 4, 1801, and died in Macon, Georgia, July 15, 1854. A lawyer and resident of Talbotton, Georgia, Towns served as state legislator, U.S. Congressman, and Governor of Georgia (1847-51). . . . — Map (db m39905) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — 133-3B — Old Federal Road
The Federal Road across the Creek Indian County, western Georgia’s first vehicular way, passed here leading from Fort Hawkins (now Macon) to the Alabama River above Mobile. The trace, which followed closely the course of the earlier noted Lower . . . — Map (db m27366) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — 130-8 — Straus Home Site←— 1 bl. —«
After leaving Bavaria, Lazarus Straus dispensed his merchandise over several states searching for home for his family. In 1854, he, his wife, and four children settled in a comfortable house one block from here. An expert merchant and a learned man, . . . — Map (db m27342) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — 130-7 — Straus Home Site←— 1 bl. —«
In 1854, Lazarus Strauss brought his wife and four children to Talbotton to their first home in America. Here he established a store, the first in a series that led to Macy’s, one of the leading department stores in the world. Straus and his sons, . . . — Map (db m27343) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — 130-6 — Straus Home Site
Here stood the small frame house in which Lazarus Straus and his family lived when they came to Talbotton in 1854. Seeking a new home in America after leaving Bavaria, Straus visited Talbotton during a “court week” and decided to make . . . — Map (db m38249) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — 130-5 — Talbot County
Talbot County was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1827 from Muscogee County. Originally, it included part of Taylor County. It was named for Matthew Talbot (1767-1827), member of legislature, member of the Convention that framed the Constitution of Ga., . . . — Map (db m27364) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — Talbotton United Methodist Church1831
As Methodism moved across Georgia, in 1830 Jesse Sinclair and Henry W. Hilliard were sent by the South Carolina Methodist Conference to the Flint River Mission of which Talbot Co. was a part. In 1831 this circuit became a part of the newly formed . . . — Map (db m23089) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
On March 21, 1970 H. Grady Bell and friends founded the "Bartram Trail Society of Georgia" at Zion Episcopal Church. — Map (db m11529) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — 130-2 — Zion Episcopal ChurchErected 1848
The edifice has been spared modernization and is a perfect replica of a typical English rural parish church of the Tudor-Gothic period. The altar, communion rail, lectern-pulpit, and prayer desk are handmade of native walnut. The entire structure . . . — Map (db m27233) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Woodland — 130-2 — Double Bridges<------<<<<
An ante-bellum Alabama Rd. crossing of Flint River at Owens Island, 1.25 mi. N. of the old DuBignon Ferry & 2.5 mi. N.E. of this point. Wilson’s Cav. seized Columbus Apr. 16, 1865. On the 17th, Minty’s div. was sent to blaze a trail to . . . — Map (db m38222) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Woodland — 130-3 — Old Belleview
Ante-bellum settlement on the Old Alabama Rd., between the Chattahoochee at Columbus & the Flint River at the Double Bridges. Columbus was seized by Federal Cav. under Gen. James H. Wilson, April 16, 1865. The next day Minty’s div. was sent . . . — Map (db m37461) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement