“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

White County Georgia Historical Markers

Cleveland Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, June 18, 2011
Cleveland Marker
Georgia (White County), Cleveland — 154-4 — Cleveland
When White County was formed in 1857, Mt. Yonah was selected as the County-seat. The majority of its residents wished to rename it Sheltonville for William H. Shelton, who sponsored the formation of the new county. Shelton asked that it be named . . . — Map (db m43702) HM
Georgia (White County), Cleveland — 154-9 — Discovery of Gold
In 1828 gold was discovered here on Duke`s Creek, White County, by two people. John Witheroods of North Carolina found a 3-ounce nugget and a Negro servant of Major Frank Logan of Louisville, Georgia, also discovered gold on the creek. Early . . . — Map (db m10033) HM
Georgia (White County), Cleveland — 154-2 — Mossy Creek and Rock Springs Campgrounds
Mossy Creek Campground was established in 1833 and has continued as a site of yearly religious revival meetings since that time. Rock Springs Campground was established in 1887 and is one of the few remaining camp-meeting sites organized by black . . . — Map (db m21521) HM
Georgia (White County), Cleveland — 154-3 — White County
White County, created by Act of Dec. 22, 1857, was cut off from Habersham and Lumpkin Counties. Wm. H. Shelton, Repr. from Habersham at the session tried twice to have the county formed but failed. Repr. David T. White of Newton Co. backed the bill . . . — Map (db m21294) HM
Georgia (White County), Helen — 154-6 — Early Trading Post
At this point, just north of the safest ford in the Chattahoochee River, the first white settlers in this area built their campfires in 1822. A trading post was soon established on the site and Indians traded gold nuggets and gold-dust to the . . . — Map (db m43704) HM
Georgia (White County), Helen — 154-2 — Nacoochee Indian Mound
Nacoochee Indian Mound was the center of the ancient Cherokee town of Gauxule, visited by DeSoto in 1540 in his search for gold, according to legend. On this ceremonial mound, 190 feet long, 150 feet wide and 20 feet high, stood the Town House where . . . — Map (db m10049) HM
Georgia (White County), Helen — 154-10 — Nacoochee Valley Valley of the Evening Star
This valley has long fascinated travelers, writers and artists. It was farmed for centuries by Indians and white men alike. The valley was devastated by Spanish and American gold hunters and timbermen and has been carefully nurtured by prosperous . . . — Map (db m43706) HM
Georgia (White County), Nacoochee — 154-1R — The Unicoi Turnpike
This road is the Old Unicoi Turnpike, first vehicular route to link East Tennessee, Western North Carolina and North Georgia with the head of navigation on the Savannah River system. Beginning on the Tugalo River, to the east of Toccoa, the road led . . . — Map (db m25328) HM
Georgia (White County), Sautee — 154-1 — Stovall Mill Covered Bridge
Fred Dover constructed a bridge and nearby grist, saw and shingle mill complex here in the late 1800s. The original bridge washed away in the early 1890s and Will Pardue replaced it in 1895 with the present 38-foot structure. Dover sold the . . . — Map (db m8984) HM
Georgia (White County), Sautee Nacoochee — 154-5 — Joe Brown Pikes
On Sautee Creek just north of here are remains of a dam constructed as part of a grist mill owned by Edwin P. Williams. During the War Between the States, to arm the Home Guard, Gov. Joseph E. Brown had made a great number of pikes, daggers on long . . . — Map (db m120350) HM
Georgia (White County), Sautee-Nacoochee — Bishop Marvin A. Franklin
Marvin Augustus Franklin was born a few miles from here January 19, 1894 and early in life united with the Nacoochee Methodist Church. He was licensed to preach October 26, 1910 and joined the North Georgia Annual Conference at Elberton, Ga., . . . — Map (db m26022) HM
Georgia (White County), Sautee-Nacoochee — 154-8 — White Methodist Church <------<<<<
A Methodist Church has stood on this site since the early 1820s when one was built by the first white settlers in Nacoochee Valley. Six acres of land to be used for the church and cemetery were deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1836 by . . . — Map (db m26021) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement