Rock Methodist Church was instituted about 3 miles from here in 1839. The present building was erected in 1870. Charter members were: Tom and Lizzie Willis; John and Mary E. Mattox; John P., Martha, and Mrs. T. C. Latimer; Luke Turner, Sr., Wm and . . . — — Map (db m25863) HM
At Clarke’s Creek, near here, on the night of February 13, 1779, American troops commanded by Col. Elijah Clark, Col. John Dooley and Col. Andrew Pickens, encamped. Very early the next morning, they launched a surprise attack on the British . . . — — Map (db m46840) HM
Near here, in the home of Jacob McLendon, the first Court held north of Augusta convened August 25, 1779, by order of the Executive Council of Georgia. Absalom Bedell, Benjamin Catchings, William Downs were justices; Henry Monadue, Clerk; Joseph . . . — — Map (db m25617) HM
Fishing Creek Baptist Church, the second of this denomination to be constituted in the upcountry of Georgia, was organized in 1782, under the leadership of the Rev. Sanders Walker, who became its first pastor. It was one of five churches represented . . . — — Map (db m25415) HM
Heard’s Fort was designated the Seat of Government for Georgia on February 3, 1780. The Executive Council met and transacted the affairs of the State in this temporary Capital until early 1781. This designation was made by the Governor and Council . . . — — Map (db m25546) HM
Old Independence Church, built for all denominations, was situated near the campground across the road from its present site. The Methodists organized a membership and claimed the church. The matter was carried to the courts. A young lawyer, . . . — — Map (db m21350) HM
The Methodist Society, which was later organized into Pope’s Chapel Church, was first organized in August 1786 by Thomas Humphries at the home of James Marks located in what is now Elbert County about 1 ½ miles Northeast of Baker’s Ferry on . . . — — Map (db m25443) HM
The Village of Danburg was settled circa 1825 by Samuel Danforth of Vermont and Massachusetts at this intersection of two important trade routes, the Augusta Road into North Georgia and the Abbeville, S.C. Milledgeville GA . . . — — Map (db m111136) HM
One and one-half miles North and one-half mile West is War Hill, site of the Battle of Kettle Creek, one of the decisive battles of the Revolutionary War.
It was at Kettle Creek, on February 14, 1779, that Col. John Dooly, Col. Elijah Clark and . . . — — Map (db m22340) HM
The Battle of Kettle Creek, fought here on February 14, 1779, was one of the most important battles of the Revolutionary War in Georgia. At that time, the State was almost completely under British control. Col. Boyd with 600 British sympathizers . . . — — Map (db m10684) HM
James Osgood Andrew was born in Wilkes County, Georgia, on May 5, 1794, about 400 yards N.E. of this marker, the son of Rev. John Andrew and Mary Cosby Andrew. He was licensed to preach in the Ellam Methodist Episcopal Church, Broad River Circuit, . . . — — Map (db m17257) HM
Blacks, Native Americans, and Whites all fought for freedom for the American colonies. Their sacrifices will always be remembered.
The National Experience
Sources estimate that up to forty percent of the patriot militias may have been . . . — — Map (db m94135) WM
This was once the home of two distinguished Georgians -- father and son.
Duncan G. Campbell was noted for drafting the treaty that removed the Cherokee Indians from Georgia and also for introducing in the Georgia Legislature the first bill . . . — — Map (db m25618) HM
Son of Adam Granade and Rebecca Ansley
Teacher, Farmer, Author, Cartographer, Surveyor, Legislator, Soldier, Poet
Co F 12th Ga Batt Light Artillery
Army of Northern Virginia 1862 – 1865
Wilkes County School Board
Wilkes County . . . — — Map (db m110567) HM
Organized in 1819, this Church is an outgrowth of Grant’s Meeting House, the first Methodist Church building in Georgia, erected 5 miles E. in 1787. In 1820, the Methodists built the first church building in Washington. It was shared by other . . . — — Map (db m25989) HM
In the shade of a giant poplar tree which stood 200 feet East of this spot, on the 22nd of July, 1790, the Rev. John Springer was ordained to the Presbyterian ministry and installed Pastor of Smyrna, Providence and Washington churches. This was the . . . — — Map (db m25639) HM
Fort Washington Park is the site of a stockade built by the family of Stephen Heard, governor of Georgia – 1781. Cherokee and Creek Indians had ceded their land on June 1, 1773, and the settlers from Virginia arrived in December 1773. . . . — — Map (db m32941) HM
In the 1780’s Felix and William Gilbert, Virginians, camped in a beautiful grove here and were so pleased with the scenery that they returned later to take land grants. In 1808 they erected the brick portion of this house, one of the oldest brick . . . — — Map (db m25132) HM
On this site the first Methodist church building in Georgia was erected in 1787. Daniel Grant and his son, Thomas, prosperous merchants of this area, were its builders.
Bishop Asbury often visited the Grants at their home nearby, on his . . . — — Map (db m25412) HM
This home was built by Mr. and Mrs. Louis Dugas, French refugees from Santo Domingo, in the early 1790s. Here, until 1810, Mrs. Dugas conducted the Boarding School for Select Young Ladies which was attended by the daughters of many of Georgia’s . . . — — Map (db m31779) HM
This lot, originally sold by the Town Commissioners in 1804 to John Griffin, was later owned by Henry Anthony. This structure combines two separate houses. The back part probably dates from 1817; the front was moved by oxcart from 7 miles out in . . . — — Map (db m25787) HM
Two 1830s Houses
Dr Fielding Ficklen plantation
house moved here by oxcart
from Ficklen, joined to existing
house, portico added.
Mrs Jefferson Davis &
children spent days here
on flight . . . — — Map (db m32957) HM
This was the home of Robert Toombs -- planter, lawyer, and distinguished Southern statesman. Born July 2, 1810, Robert Toombs was educated at Franklin College, Georgia, at Union College, New York, and at the University of Virginia. He was a member . . . — — Map (db m25582) HM
This Federal style house was begun in 1814, by Sarah Porter Hillhouse who came to Washington in 1786, from Connecticut with her husband David. In 1801, David purchased the town’s first newspaper The Monitor, and when he died in 1803, Sarah . . . — — Map (db m25575) HM
On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington where he performed what proved to be his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed enroute to the . . . — — Map (db m25541) HM
This was the home of Jesse Mercer, pioneer Baptist preacher and largest contributor to the founding of Mercer Institute at Penfield, now Mercer University of Macon.
Jesse Mercer, born in North Carolina Dec. 16, 1769, was the son of Rev. Silas . . . — — Map (db m25861) HM
The Patriots whose names appear on this marker are those who have been proved to have participated in the Battle of Kettle Creek on February 14, 1779.
Many brave men fought on this hallowed ground, some were wounded and . . . — — Map (db m46285) HM
Site of the Bank of the State of Georgia, Washington Branch. Last cabinet meeting Confederates States of America May 4, 1865. In a final act, Jefferson Davis dissolved the C.S.A. government. — — Map (db m73915) HM
Site of W.T. Fluker Gun Smith (1867-1877) and Fluker & Brother Cotton Gin Manufactory (1875-1895). Also the location of W.T. Johnson's first store. A hardware store has been located here since 1884 — — Map (db m44334) HM
This library was Georgia’s first free (without a subscription fee) public library. Founded in 1888 by Dr. Francis T. Willis in memory of his daughter, it opened in 1889. Willis also created an endowment for the library and donated his personal . . . — — Map (db m23000) HM
1814 One story structure built by John C. Leitner 1835 Archibald S. Wingfield Added second floor wealthy merchant & planter 1863 David G. Cotting Ga. Secretary of State during Reconstruction period 1949 Maj. General Lloyd D. Brown Federal style with . . . — — Map (db m44243) HM
This building stands on the site of one of the most popular inns of the early stagecoach days. Under it are the ancient handhewn timbers, hand made brick and massive beams of the inn basement. In the basement is the rock vault with heavy iron door . . . — — Map (db m25502) HM
Original site of
Located on the second
floor of this building.
The heavy machinery
& materials caused the
floor to collapse in 1949.
Almar became one of
the largest producers
of . . . — — Map (db m94112) HM
On June 10th, 1785, 16 members met in a mill on this site owned by Joel Phillips, a Revolutionary soldier, and organized Phillips Mills Baptist Church. The Rev. Silas Mercer, leader of the group, became the first pastor of the church, and served in . . . — — Map (db m25513) HM
Queen Anne Style
Built by Dr. Willie Hill.
Center chimney serves
Heart of Pine floors,
12’ ceilings, 45 windows,
12” thick inside walls.
[ Second marker ]
Twin . . . — — Map (db m32959) HM
Remodeled 1959 after extensive fire
which destroyed the roof and upper
floor on December 24, 1958.
Board of Commissioners, Roads & Revenues
Wilkes County, Georgia
R.A. McLendon, Chairman
G.O. Holliday, C.R. Jackson
W.A. Pope, . . . — — Map (db m93598) HM
William M. Sims, attorney and county commissioner, purchased this lot known as Robert Toombs Meadow from Kate Toombs Cooley for $200 and built this asymetrical Queen Anne style house. 1962 purchased by John and Helen Beggs. — — Map (db m94211) HM
200 feet east here was held the first ordination of a Presbyterian minister in Georgia, July 22, 1790, when John Springer was ordained and installed pastor of Smyrna, Providence and Washington churches by a Commission of the Presbytery of South . . . — — Map (db m25640) HM
of the Mediator
The sanctuary, with a triptych
stained glass window, measured
26' x 72'. Choir & vestry rooms
adjoined. 1st service 16-17 March
1879. 1895 the entire block burned
to . . . — — Map (db m94146) HM
This is the site of Wilkes County Academy, built in 1797. The Academy was authorized by the Legislature in 1783, one of the first public schools charted by the State of Georgia. Commissioners were: Stephen Heard, Micajah Williamson, Robert Harper, . . . — — Map (db m25882) HM
Smyrna Church was organized about 1786, by the Rev. John Newton and the Rev. John Simpson, Presbyterian ministers under the jurisdiction of the South Carolina Presbytery. Services were at first held in the homes of the members. The first Smyrna . . . — — Map (db m30309) HM
This burying ground was laid out in 1788 when Sir John Talbot gave two acres of his vast estate for use as a Presbyterian Church and churchyard. Sir John was descended from the Earl of Shrewsbury. His own son, Matthew Talbot, served as a Superior . . . — — Map (db m32176) HM
Organized in 1785 or 86 by two Presbyterian ministers, Rev. John Newton & Rev. John Simpson. First house of worship erected in 1793 on land given by Sir John Talbot. In 1820 Presbyterian membership transferred to Washington and . . . — — Map (db m30339) HM
On this hill the Fourteenth Day of February 1779 the Battle of Kettle Creek was fought
This battle of the American Revolution in which the British were severely defeated checked their invasion of Georgia . . . — — Map (db m25828) HM
The high hill on which The Cedars stands was a home - site for the Indians before the arrival of white men. Not long after the Revolutionary War, Anthony Poulin, a Frenchman of noble birth who came to the aid of the Georgians against the British, . . . — — Map (db m25147) HM
On this site stood the old Georgia State Bank building in which Pres. Davis held the last official cabinet meeting of the Confederacy May 4, 1865.
President Jefferson Davis •
Post. M. Gen. John H. Reagan •
Sec. of Navy Stephen R. . . . — — Map (db m66815) HM
The Rev. John Springer, 1744-1798, distinguished minister and educator, is buried in the garden on this plantation, Walnut Hill. A graduate of Princeton, he taught there and at Hampden-Sydney, and was first Rector of Cambridge College in South . . . — — Map (db m25589) HM
Walnut Hill Academy, one of the famous schools of its time, was established in 1788 by the Rev. John Springer, in a building erected close to his house on this plantation. Among the Students taught by Mr. Springer at the Academy were John . . . — — Map (db m25588) HM
The Presbyterian Church at Washington was organized in 1790, under the Presbytery of South Carolina, with the Rev. John Springer as first pastor. Services were held in private homes, in the Court House, the Academy, and in the Methodist Church, . . . — — Map (db m25936) HM
1775 First stone marker indicating George III land grant Fort Washington Park
1777 First county named in Georgia’s first constitution
1779 First African-American Revolutionary hero in the South. Austin Dabney – Battle of Kettle . . . — — Map (db m28693) HM
This museum shows the splendors of plantation life in Georgia before the War Between the States, displays relics, mementos and keepsakes of the era that tried men’s souls, and adds a fine collection of Indian relics for variety. Washington had . . . — — Map (db m26511) HM
Wilkes County, an original County, was created by the Constitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from Creek and Cherokee Cessions of June 1, 1773. At first, it contained all of Oglethorpe, Elbert, Lincoln, and parts of Taliaferro, Hart, Warren, and Madison . . . — — Map (db m25454) HM
Anno Domini 1908
"Last Cabinet" Chapter
Daughters of The Confederacy,
Sons of Veterans.
of abiding love
(Left . . . — — Map (db m30352) HM