When their annual Montana plains buffalo hunt proved futile in 1876, North Idaho's Coeur d' Alene Indians needed to move from Cataldo to a better farming area.
So in 1877 their Jesuit mission was relocated here. After their community grew . . . — — Map (db m122035) HM
... was a man who had many gifts to share. Perhaps the largest gift he ever bestowed was this state park; 4,400 acres of which he donated in 1955, in memory of his mother Mary Minerva McCroskey. Virgil was anything but a selfish man. He received . . . — — Map (db m122032) HM
If these walls could talk, many interesting stories would be told. Using materials from the surrounding area, James (Jerry) G. Marsh constructed this log building in 1933 & 1934, and it was the first tavern in Benewah County to have a beer license. . . . — — Map (db m122022) HM
Dedicated in memory of pioneer women, Mary Minerva McCroskey State Park has a forested skyline drive that offers spectacular views of forest, farms, and distant mountains.
Virgil T. McCroskey devoted his life to preserving trees and . . . — — Map (db m122036) HM
The Coeur d’Alene people are the earliest inhabitants of this area.
The natural wealth of the forests, rivers, and lakes sustained their existence for countless generations on five million acres of ancestral land.
Their lifestyle was . . . — — Map (db m110383) HM
T"nt"nmi, was one of the last Coeur d'Alenes to leave permanent residence along the lake, after tribal members were assigned farm homes under the Allotment Act.
At Hnpetptqwe’n, he hosted regular gatherings and celebrations, where guests . . . — — Map (db m110411) HM
Was the Army officer who in 1859-1862 surveyed and built the Mullan Road
from Walla Walla, Washington to Fort Benton, Montana.
The road was to connect the Missouri and the Columbia, and Congress approved in 1855.
Indian troubles and lack . . . — — Map (db m110031) HM
Capt. John Mullan U.S. Army
Capt. John Mullan, US Army, Constructor and surveyor.
He was directed to mark a wagon and railroad route from Fort Benton, Montana to Walla Walla, Washington from 1853-1855.
He built the actual road . . . — — Map (db m110000) HM
Loggers used the splash dam system in the Marble Creek basin between 1915 and 1931.
In 1923, Rutledge Lumber Company spent $16,352.25 building the dam depicted in this mural.
Splash dams stored enough water to “flush” logs down small . . . — — Map (db m109997) HM
“A locomotive without wheels…”
The Willamette donkeys were fueled by wood or oil, which generated steam to turn drums that were spooled with cable.
Cables of 8,000 to 12,000 feet length were common.
Because of the long . . . — — Map (db m109998) HM
It served as a Men's Club until 1906 then as a home and treatment center for "Doc" Thompson into the 1920's. Purchased & restored by Raleigh Hughes after 1926. Purchased by the Centennial Committee in 1989.
— — Map (db m122625) HM
Before the construction of the Post Falls Dam in 1906 the water level of the lake was lower from what you see now. In those days there were Coeur d'Alene camps near here at Ch'mi'wes, the land between Round and Benewah or Chatcolet Lakes. Plentiful . . . — — Map (db m122619) HM
Established November 4, 1842, by Father Nicolas Point, S.J.
Eagerly sought by the Coeur d'Alene Indians, the Black Robed missionaries supervised the building of a log cabin, and in the spring, began to teach "the mysteries of plowing and . . . — — Map (db m122109) HM
St. Maries, named by Jesuit Father Pierre DeSmet during the 1840s, sits at the confluence of the "Shadowy" St. Joe and St. Maries rivers. It was recognized as a settlement in the 1880s. Incorporated as a village in 1902, and as a city in 1913, it . . . — — Map (db m122624) HM
Ranger Edward Pulaski and his crew of over 40 men took refuge from the fire on August 30 in the War Eagle mine tunnel on Placer Creek.
All survived except for five men and two horses. — — Map (db m122620) HM
Designed to connect the Missouri and the Columbia, this military wagon road was constructed past here in 1859.
Swamps in the St. Joe valley has to be corduroyed with logs, and 70 men spent a week digging out sidehills south of here and . . . — — Map (db m122114) HM
During W.W. I, St Maries was a hotbed of International Workers of America (I.W.W.) unionizing activities. In December 1917, Sheriff E. Noland raided their headquarters near here and arrested secretary William Nelson for advocating sabotage.
On . . . — — Map (db m122104) HM
The Saint Maries River Valley was said to have the largest single stand of white pine in the world. Homesteaders and lumberjacks flocked here by wagon road and boats to take advantage of vast stands of western white pine, fir, tamarack and cedar. . . . — — Map (db m122621) HM