The Payette River is named for Francois Payette, a French-Canadian trapper and early explorer of the major tributaries of the Snake River. At that time, British, Canadian, and American fur companies competed for the region's abundant natural . . . — — Map (db m119236) HM
(This marker consists of three panels:)
The Payette River is a major tributary of the Snake River and drains about 3,200 square miles, an area about the size of Delaware and Rhode Island. Annual rainfall within the drainage ranges . . . — — Map (db m119311) HM
An immigrant from Denmark where he had studied forestry, he came to this part of Idaho in 1883 to mine, hunt and trap.
Before Idaho became a state in 1890, he built a winter cabin below Grandjean Peak on a site later occupied by Grandjean Ranger . . . — — Map (db m22638) HM
Gold was struck in Boise Basin (over the ridge to the east) in 1862, and the rush to these new mines came through here.
Traffic came by steamer up the Columbia to Umatilla, and thence overland. At first there were only pack and saddle trains, but . . . — — Map (db m23235) HM
In 1867 this building was built by James A. Pinney to house the post office and a book and specialty shop. In 1882 Mr. Pinney sold the building to S.C. Silsby for the sum of $1,000.00.
Around 1868 the northern most portion of the building was . . . — — Map (db m119062) HM
In July of 1871 construction began on this handsome brick building, which was completed by October of the same year.
The building was built by C.S. and E.A. Kingsley as a general store.
Several businesses have occupied this building . . . — — Map (db m109935) HM
Originally George Kettlers Blacksmith Shop with ox and horseshoeing sheds on both sides.
In more recent years it was owned by Tom and Florence Adams.
From 1948 – 1975 they published the “Idaho Mountaineer” newspaper and . . . — — Map (db m110260) HM
This building was originally George Kettler's Blacksmith shop, built in 1889 with ox and horse shoeing sheds on both sides. As the horse and buggy gave way to the automobile, it became an early garage. In 1947, it was acquired by Tom and Florence . . . — — Map (db m119110) HM
Named for George Grimes who, with Moses Splawn, led the party which on August 2, 1862 made the strike that started the Boise basin gold rush.
The party was searching for a rich basin described to Splawn a year earlier by an Indian. Farther up . . . — — Map (db m22600) HM
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows pioneer Lodge No. 1 was organized on February 16th 1864.
The building was completed by September 15, 1875 at a cost of $1,974.00 and the grand opening was held on November 19th 1875.
It is the oldest . . . — — Map (db m119107) HM
This roaring metropolis was founding early in October, 1862, about ten weeks after gold was discovered in Boise basin.
By the next summer, this was the largest city in the Northwest, with 6,275 people -- 5,691 of them men! Families followed, and . . . — — Map (db m22601) HM
Built in May, 1864 by G.B. Walker at a cost of $10975. Jointly used by Idaho Territory and Boise Co. Original site was on Buena Vista Bar west of City. Building was moved in 1930 to make way for gold mining, and move twice more before being placed . . . — — Map (db m119105) HM
This is the home of Lodge No. 1 of Idaho's Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
This Masonic Temple, built in 1865 is the oldest Masonic Temple in Idaho, and reputedly the Oldest Temple west of the Mississippi , still in use.
Although the . . . — — Map (db m119064) HM
Dispensation from Oregon in 1863.
Charter June 22, 1864.
This building erected in Sept. 1865 after the original building at another location was destroyed by fire in May, 1865.
The Grand Lodge of Idaho A.F. & A.M. was formed in this . . . — — Map (db m119104) HM
In 1865 John Clarsey started the brick building that was to house the John Clarsey's saloon.
In 1867 Mr. Clarsey added a new club room to the south side of the saloon.
On the north side of the building was the Vantine & Co. General Store. The . . . — — Map (db m119060) HM
The first Odd Fellows Lodge in the state of Idaho instituted by men of faith that never wavered. Through good times and bad, the members found solutions. The took great pride in belonging to this Lodge which is truly the "Shrine of Odd Fellowship" . . . — — Map (db m119108) HM
Picturesquely set on East Hill above the City center, this simple two story frame building is actually the second Saint Josephs Church. The original church dedicated on November 15, 1863, burned to the ground in Idaho City's second fire on May 17, . . . — — Map (db m119109) HM
This building was constructed in 1865 by Elias Brown. It originally housed a newspaper office, restaurant and grocery store. It was one of several brick buildings known as "fireproofs" that were constructed after a disastrous fire swept through . . . — — Map (db m119061) HM
In September of 1863 the pioneer printers Joseph & Thomas Butler founded the newspaper called the “Boise News.”
It was later changed to the “Idaho World.”
The Idaho World boasts the title of Idahos oldest newspaper.
. . . — — Map (db m109942) HM
The Old Toll Road to Idaho City crossed the ridge from Boise through the lowest point you can see in the skyline across the valley.
Climbing the More's creek canyon wall, it crossed this highway about here and swung north. The road was built and . . . — — Map (db m22599) HM
"It's never too late - nor are the odds ever to great - to try. In that spirit the West was won, and in that spirit I now declare my candidacy for President of the United States."
March 18, 1976
At . . . — — Map (db m119034) HM
In Memory Of
The boys who gave their lives in World War II from Boise County, Idaho
Stanley B. Banks George Berry Harry E. Brechenridge Henry Luther Beckman William S. Lawson John Myers Edgar Rae Commodore Perry Ritter . . . — — Map (db m119059) WM
At 4:00pm on July 29, the Lowman Fire exploded, consuming five square miles of forest.
In two hours it grew into a fire storm that destroyed parts of the dispersed Lowman community.
Saving lives was the first priority of fire fighters who . . . — — Map (db m110747) HM
(Three panels make up this marker:)
In the 1930s, Gallagher CCC widened and surfaced this road, built Scott Mountain Road, developed Hot Springs and Pine Flat Campgrounds, erected fences to control livestock grazing, fought fires, and . . . — — Map (db m119235) HM
A talented artist, Emma Edwards went to work in 1890 to to design Idaho's state seal when she was only 18 years old.
Although her father had moved to California after serving as governor of Missouri (1844 to 1848), Emma preferred to spend much of . . . — — Map (db m22637) HM
(Three panels make up this marker:) In the summer of 1989, the Lowman Fire burned the area north and east of here. The fire consumed 72 square miles of forest, and area larger than the Boise metropolitan area. In addition, 26 structures in . . . — — Map (db m119233) HM
Imagine, the battle against this immense fire was launched from this small Ranger Station!
More than 2,300 people came from all over the country to work on the fire lines.
Many of them lived in “fire camps” scattered around the . . . — — Map (db m110749) HM
In 1907, Nathaniel W. Lowman settled here, and four years later, when he started a post office in his large log house, this community was named for him.
Only a few scattered settlers lived here then. Lowman got all its supplies once a year from a . . . — — Map (db m22616) HM
The Boise Basin Mercantile was built in the 1860's and was among the first stores in Placerville. The store holds the distinction of belonging to the first chain stores founded in Idaho. The owners operated similar businesses in Idaho City until the . . . — — Map (db m119031) HM
On June 4, 1865 near the tollgate on the road from Placerville to Centerville, George Wilson was murdered, robbed of his gold dust and his body hidden in a prospect hole full of water. Two musicians, banjo player L. Moulton and fiddler Fred Cursons . . . — — Map (db m119032) HM
Originally constructed as the Magnolia Saloon in the 1860's, the building was partially damaged by a fire that destroyed the community's businesses in August 1899. Located on the town square, the saloon was rebuilt in 1900 allowing it to continue . . . — — Map (db m119030) HM