Look around you. You are standing amid a faded dream - a dream to create a premiere ski resort out of wilderness. Much of eastern Idaho during 1938 was considered a frontier when Forest Ranger Rufus Hall searched for a location to build Idaho's . . . — — Map (db m108977) HM
Holding a unique niche in Idaho’s history, Big Falls Inn was built around 1915 by the Snake River Electric Light and Power Company. Although it may originally have been constructed as a combination office and residence for workers, it eventually . . . — — Map (db m73321) HM
High on Island Park Caldera's west rim, a 72-foot forest service lookout tower affords an excellent view of this large volcanic feature.
No other steel tower has been preserved in this part of Idaho. When it was erected in 1936, lookouts . . . — — Map (db m72955) HM
John Colter after serving with the Lewis and Clark Expedition journeyed to the Teton Yellowstone Country in 1807, and became the first mountain man to see the Teton Mountain Range. Early fur trappers gathered in the valley at the base of the Teton . . . — — Map (db m108571) HM
Some 2,000,000 years ago, massive eruptions of hot rock boiled for 60 miles from this high rim on across Yellowstone Park.
An exceptionally large crater remained when that lava surface collapsed. Another smaller caldera . . . — — Map (db m103937) HM
Harriman State Park
Started in 1902 as a large cattle ranch, Railroad Ranch soon became a summer retreat for wealthy easterners and eventually Idaho’s largest state park.
Railroad magnate and diplomat W. Averell Harriman and his brother . . . — — Map (db m103938) HM
Henry's Fork meanders through an 16,000 acre wildlife refuge that retains diverse habitats for many kinds of birds and animals.
Lodgepole pine forests and open meadows provide many opportunities to enjoy wildlife here, and fly fishing still . . . — — Map (db m108979) HM
Two panels make up this marker:
Island Park describes the northern part of Fremont County from the top of the Ashton Hill to the Montana border. Within its borders is an ancient volcanic caldera that has been inactive for the last . . . — — Map (db m109006) HM
In 1868, Gilman Sawtell started a dude ranch and Henry's Lake fishery that did much to develop this natural resort area.
Sawtell did everything from supplying swans for New York's Central Park zoo to building a network of roads for tourists . . . — — Map (db m108978) HM
Roman Catholic Missionary services began in Idaho on Sunday July 10, 1840 in Teton Valley, followed by a mass held near here at Henry's Lake, July 23.
Pierre J. DeSmet a Belgian Jesuit leader accompanied a Pend Oreille - Flathead band on their . . . — — Map (db m31214) HM
When Teton Dam suddenly was washed away, June 5, 1976, a large reservoir (280 feet deep) was dumped on farms and towns below.
Houses floated away and crop land was ruined as water surged into Snake River and American Falls Reservoir, which . . . — — Map (db m108351) HM
In 1810, Andrew Henry and a party of trappers from Saint Louis established a winter outpost about 6 miles west of here.
Driven from their upper Missouri beaver camp by hostile Blackfeet, they expanded their operations from United States . . . — — Map (db m108993) HM
was built in the fall of 1810 by Captain Andrew Henry and his companions of the Missouri Fur Company, about five miles below here on the left bank of this stream (Henry's Fork of Snake River), first buildings erected by Americans in the present . . . — — Map (db m108980) HM
No tank performed longer than the M60 series. First introduced in 1961, the M60 series with its advanced weapon control and mighty engine, served under the administration of nine U.S. Presidents. The brawny tank's thick armor eventually shielded the . . . — — Map (db m108989) HM
The first house of worship erected in the Upper Snake River Valley, was located approximately five and three-fourths miles west, and one and three-fourths miles south of this marker. It was completed by members of the Egin Branch of the Cache Stake . . . — — Map (db m108988) HM
On 17 January, 1920, this island was granted to St. Anthony from the Federal Government.
The statue of the "Doughboy" was ordered by the county in May 1923. When it was installed it was veiled until Memorial Day, 30 May, 1923.
O.O. Skalet, . . . — — Map (db m108991) WM
A group of pioneer men, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, left Mendon, Cache, Utah, April 1883 and traveled to Idaho in search of new homes for their families. The company consisted of Henry Sorenson, John and Niles Peter . . . — — Map (db m108349) HM