A gold rush to Montana brought steamboat service to lake Pen d'Oreille in 1866, with its dock at Pen d'Oreille City 5 miles east of here on Buttonhook Bay.
Traffic to British Columbia's Wild Horse mines also used this route. The trip . . . — — Map (db m122152) HM
Large kilns that produced line from 1904 to 1932 still can be seen by visiting Bayview, two miles from here.
Production of lime f0r nearby mines and Spokane buildings commenced in this area as soon as rail transportation and markets became . . . — — Map (db m122170) HM
In 1942, a large United States Naval training station, with facilities for 40,000 sailors, opened here. Then, from 1946 to 1949, it became Farragut College.
When postwar college enrollments slacked off, Farragut State Park was developed here, . . . — — Map (db m122155) HM
Once the grounds of a naval hospital, this area of park is now home to four disc golf courses.
In 1942, the US Government acquired this land to build a navy training station. Over the next four years 293,381 men went through their boot training . . . — — Map (db m122172) HM
This type of canoe was not used by the Coeur d'Alene until the arrival (of the) pioneer settlers. Combined with iron tooling and burning, it took two men up to eight weeks to build. The Indians preferred their traditional bark-skinned canoe . . . — — Map (db m122768) HM
The horse-powered grist mill is shown with a half-timbered frame. Brother "blacksmith" (either brother Charles Huet or Classans), and brother Magri collaborated on fashioning the grist mill in 1848. This would be before construction began on the Old . . . — — Map (db m122766) HM
Records indicate that a least forty Coeur d'Alene Indians lived in permanent residence at the Mission site. The village was make up of a mixture of log cabins, Native American mat lodges and an occasional tipi.
E.S. Glover in his diary of 1875 . . . — — Map (db m122769) HM
The sketch drawn in 1860, shows a long multiple-unit structure parallel to the church. It housed the Mission brothers and travelers, a kitchen and repair shop.
Some of the prominent travelers who visited the Mission and possible stayed in this . . . — — Map (db m122764) HM
The main cemetery with log houses (grave houses) was located in this area. The limits of this have not been fully established (as of 1976); but according to the Mission records,
well over 300 people have been buried here. Many of the . . . — — Map (db m122770) HM
The Coeur d'Alene River is moderately visible from this vista point. The river aided in popularizing the Sacred Heart Mission by creating a steamboat access for outlying communities.
For one dollar, passengers could enjoy the 27 mile river . . . — — Map (db m122763) HM
Built by the Coeur dAlene Tribe in cooperation with members of the Society of Jesus – restored with dedication as a 1976 bicentennial project by Henry Lawrence Day and his friend and helper Al Almquist in whose honor this memorial is . . . — — Map (db m110800) HM
“At sundown the church bell toiled, and it was soon filled with humble worshippers.
The chapel is quite an impressing building, the walls covered with pictures of saints and crucifixion.
The Indians are very devout and tell their . . . — — Map (db m110799) HM
Opened for services in 1853, this is the oldest building in Idaho.
Black-robed Jesuits founded the mission on the St. Joe River in 1842, but moved here in 1846 and raised this imposing building in a complete wilderness. Dwellings and . . . — — Map (db m110802) HM
The Coeur d'Alene River once flowed through here. Dams raised the level of Lake Coeur d'Alene causing the river to develop new channels. Annual flooding now furnishes water and silt to this former river bed. — — Map (db m122767) HM
The Parsonage house was the permanent house for the superior of the Mission. It is shown with a stone foundation. The west extension is depicted with a board floors, possibly a porch-like structure. The building was constructed with hewn logs using . . . — — Map (db m122762) HM
In 1853, Issac I. Stevens, Governor of the Washington Territory, described the Mission as being composed of buildings enclosing a square, some being quite old, but the barn was large and new. One-half of the barn was reserved for their crops, while . . . — — Map (db m122765) HM
Look to the north: blocking the northward passage of the rivers which form this lake, a great dam of glacial ice once towered above the horizon as far as the eye can see. When the glacier melted, about 600,000 years ago, it left a moraine - a . . . — — Map (db m122872) HM
Built by the army in 1880 to carry hay and supplies for Fort Coeur d'Alene, the "Amelia Wheaton" was the first of a long list of steamers on this lake. Commercial steamboating began in 1884 with the mining rush. In later years, fleets of . . . — — Map (db m122877) HM
Walk the Mullan Road one of the Northwest's most significant routes. Take the side road to your left.
From 1858-62, Lt. John Mullan's crew built the Northwest's first engineered highway, connecting Fort Benton with Fort Walla Walla, 625 . . . — — Map (db m122859) HM
Between 1859 and 1862 the U.S. Army built a military wagon road between Fort Benton Montana, and Fort Walla Walla, Washington. This National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark was the first major engineered highway in the Pacific Northwest. — — Map (db m122863) HM
Glacial activity about 9000 to 12000 years ago created this lake out of what previously had been the valley of a river.
The ice sheet occupied major valleys north of here. As the glacier receded, melt waters flooded across the outlet of this . . . — — Map (db m122125) HM
A long, glaciated valley, extending from British Columbia this far into Idaho, brought part of a continental ice sheet past here thousands of years ago.
Rocks and boulders transported here by glacial ice backed up Lake Coeur d'Alene. Then a . . . — — Map (db m122127) HM
On June 1, 1871, Frederick Post made a deal with Andrew Seltice -- a prominent Coeur d'Alene Indian leader -- to obtain more than 200 acres of Spokane River land to start a mill here. They recorded this cession of land on a prominent rock . . . — — Map (db m122126) HM