Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Kootenai County Idaho Historical Markers

 
Pen d'Oreille City Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, May 8, 2018
Pen d'Oreille City Marker
Idaho (Kootenai County), Athol — 351 — Pen d'Oreille City
On Smylie Boulevard (State Highway 54 at milepost 8) near East Howard Road, on the right when traveling east.
A gold rush to Montana brought steamboat service to lake Pen d'Oreille in 1866, with its dock at Pen d'Oreille City 5 miles east of here on Buttonhook Bay. Traffic to British Columbia's Wild Horse mines also used this route. The trip . . . — Map (db m122152) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Bayview — 422 — Bayview Limekilns
On Smylie Boulevard (State Highway 54 at milepost 15) near Locust Grove Road, on the left when traveling east.
Large kilns that produced line from 1904 to 1932 still can be seen by visiting Bayview, two miles from here. Production of lime f0r nearby mines and Spokane buildings commenced in this area as soon as rail transportation and markets became . . . — Map (db m122170) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Bayview — Farragut Naval Training Station
Near Smylie Boulevard (State Highway 54 at milepost 12) near North Perimeter Road, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m122156) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Bayview — 350 — Farragut State Park
On Smylie Boulevard (State Highway 54 at milepost 12) near North Perimeter Road, on the right when traveling east.
In 1942, a large United States Naval training station, with facilities for 40,000 sailors, opened here. Then, from 1946 to 1949, it became Farragut College. When postwar college enrollments slacked off, Farragut State Park was developed here, . . . — Map (db m122155) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Bayview — Footprints of the Past
Near Whitetail Trail near S Road.
Once the grounds of a naval hospital, this area of park is now home to four disc golf courses. In 1942, the US Government acquired this land to build a navy training station. Over the next four years 293,381 men went through their boot training . . . — Map (db m122172) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Dug-Out Canoe — An Eight Week Building Project
On South Mission Road near U.S. 90.
This type of canoe was not used by the Coeur d'Alene until the arrival (of the) pioneer settlers. Combined with iron tooling and burning, it took two men up to eight weeks to build. The Indians preferred their traditional bark-skinned canoe . . . — Map (db m122768) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Grist Mill — Horse-powered
On South Mission Road near Interstate 90.
The horse-powered grist mill is shown with a half-timbered frame. Brother "blacksmith" (either brother Charles Huet or Classans), and brother Magri collaborated on fashioning the grist mill in 1848. This would be before construction began on the Old . . . — Map (db m122766) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Indian Village — Permanent Residents
Near South Mission Road near Interstate 90.
Records indicate that a least forty Coeur d'Alene Indians lived in permanent residence at the Mission site. The village was make up of a mixture of log cabins, Native American mat lodges and an occasional tipi. E.S. Glover in his diary of 1875 . . . — Map (db m122769) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Lodging for Travelers — Living Quarters for Brothers...
Near South Mission Road near Interstate 90.
The sketch drawn in 1860, shows a long multiple-unit structure parallel to the church. It housed the Mission brothers and travelers, a kitchen and repair shop. Some of the prominent travelers who visited the Mission and possible stayed in this . . . — Map (db m122764) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Main Cemetery — Sacred Grounds
Near South Mission Road near Interstate 90.
The main cemetery with log houses (grave houses) was located in this area. The limits of this have not been fully established (as of 1976); but according to the Mission records, well over 300 people have been buried here. Many of the . . . — Map (db m122770) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Mission Landing — Steamboat Transfer Point
Near South Mission Road near Interstate 90.
The Coeur d'Alene River is moderately visible from this vista point. The river aided in popularizing the Sacred Heart Mission by creating a steamboat access for outlying communities. For one dollar, passengers could enjoy the 27 mile river . . . — Map (db m122763) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Old Mission
Near South Mission Road at Dredge Road, on the left when traveling west.
Built by the Coeur d’Alene Tribe in cooperation with members of the Society of Jesus – restored with dedication as a 1976 bicentennial project by Henry Lawrence Day and his friend and helper Al Almquist in whose honor this memorial is . . . — Map (db m110800) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Old Mission Bell
Near South Mission Road at Dredge Road, on the left when traveling west.
“At sundown the church bell toiled, and it was soon filled with humble worshippers. The chapel is quite an impressing building, the walls covered with pictures of saints and crucifixion. The Indians are very devout and tell their . . . — Map (db m110799) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — 144 — Old Mission of the Sacred Heart
On Dredge Road near Interstate 90.
Opened for services in 1853, this is the oldest building in Idaho. Black-robed Jesuits founded the mission on the St. Joe River in 1842, but moved here in 1846 and raised this imposing building in a complete wilderness. Dwellings and . . . — Map (db m110802) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Old River Channel
Near South Mission Road near Interstate 90.
The Coeur d'Alene River once flowed through here. Dams raised the level of Lake Coeur d'Alene causing the river to develop new channels. Annual flooding now furnishes water and silt to this former river bed. — Map (db m122767) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Parsonage House — Superior's Place
Near South Mission Road near Interstate 90.
The Parsonage house was the permanent house for the superior of the Mission. It is shown with a stone foundation. The west extension is depicted with a board floors, possibly a porch-like structure. The building was constructed with hewn logs using . . . — Map (db m122762) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Cataldo — Stock and Crop Barn — 'Large and New'
Near South Mission Road near Interstate 90.
In 1853, Issac I. Stevens, Governor of the Washington Territory, described the Mission as being composed of buildings enclosing a square, some being quite old, but the barn was large and new. One-half of the barn was reserved for their crops, while . . . — Map (db m122765) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Coeur d'Alene — 170 — Coeur d'Alene Lake
On State Highway 97 at milepost 96 near East Wolf Lodge Bay Road, on the left when traveling north.
Look to the north: blocking the northward passage of the rivers which form this lake, a great dam of glacial ice once towered above the horizon as far as the eye can see. When the glacier melted, about 600,000 years ago, it left a moraine - a . . . — Map (db m122872) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Coeur d'Alene — 268 — Lake Steamers
On East Coeur d'Alene Lake Drive near South Silver Beach Road.
Built by the army in 1880 to carry hay and supplies for Fort Coeur d'Alene, the "Amelia Wheaton" was the first of a long list of steamers on this lake. Commercial steamboating began in 1884 with the mining rush. In later years, fleets of . . . — Map (db m122877) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Coeur d'Alene — 164 — Mullan Military Road
On Copper Road (Forest Road 3098) near Interstate 90, on the right when traveling west.
Walk the Mullan Road one of the Northwest's most significant routes. Take the side road to your left. From 1858-62, Lt. John Mullan's crew built the Northwest's first engineered highway, connecting Fort Benton with Fort Walla Walla, 625 . . . — Map (db m122859) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Coeur d'Alene — The Mullan Road — Mullan Road Historical Site
On Forest Road N 3098 near Interstate 90.
Between 1859 and 1862 the U.S. Army built a military wagon road between Fort Benton Montana, and Fort Walla Walla, Washington. This National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark was the first major engineered highway in the Pacific Northwest. — Map (db m122863) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Harrison — 281 — Submerged Valley
On Harrison Road (State Highway 97 at milepost 67) near East O'Gara Road, on the left when traveling north.
Glacial activity about 9000 to 12000 years ago created this lake out of what previously had been the valley of a river. The ice sheet occupied major valleys north of here. As the glacier receded, melt waters flooded across the outlet of this . . . — Map (db m122125) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Hauser — 256 — Purcell Trench
On State Highway 53 near North Beck Road, on the left when traveling west.
A long, glaciated valley, extending from British Columbia this far into Idaho, brought part of a continental ice sheet past here thousands of years ago. Rocks and boulders transported here by glacial ice backed up Lake Coeur d'Alene. Then a . . . — Map (db m122127) HM
Idaho (Kootenai County), Post Falls — 348 — Treaty Rock
Near North Compton Street near West Seltice Way, on the left when traveling south.
On June 1, 1871, Frederick Post made a deal with Andrew Seltice -- a prominent Coeur d'Alene Indian leader -- to obtain more than 200 acres of Spokane River land to start a mill here. They recorded this cession of land on a prominent rock . . . — Map (db m122126) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement