The town of Buhl, second largest in Twin Falls County, was founded in 1906 and named in honor of Frank H. Buhl, a financier of the South Side Irrigation Project. Buhl was a wealthy capitalist who owned steel mills in Sharon, Pennsylvania, and . . . — — Map (db m125626) HM
The City of Buhl is a town of 4200 nestled in South Central Idaho along the Thousand Springs Scenic Byway. It was founded on April 13, 1906 and named after Frank H. Buhl of Sharon, Pennsylvania, a major investor in the Carey Act project. This . . . — — Map (db m125724) HM
When John C. Fremont came this way mapping emigrant roads in 1843, he found an important Indian village at Fishing Falls (Kanaka rapids) about 4 miles above here. He reported that native salmon spearers there were "unusually gay...fond of laughter; . . . — — Map (db m31652) HM
A scow powered by oarsmen let Oregon Trail wagons cross Snake River here from 1852 to 1870. Then Overland Stage service from Boise to a rail terminal in Kelton, Utah was moved to this crossing, and M.E. Payne installed a large (14 by 60 foot) new . . . — — Map (db m31653) HM
In 1812, Joseph Miller found 100 lodges of Indians spearing thousands of salmon each afternoon at a cascade below here. Each summer they dried a year's supply. After 1842, they also traded salmon to Oregon Trail emigrants. John C. Fremont marveled . . . — — Map (db m31597) HM
Old lava flow changed the geologic structure of this area and thus created a multitude of famous springs here. Over thousands of years, volcanic activity repeatedly spread lava over the Snake River plain, slowly forcing the river southward in a . . . — — Map (db m31595) HM
The Flood that Reshaped Southern Idaho
The Snake River Canyon is one of Idaho's most recognizable geologic features. Volcanic forces dating back more than 10 million years ago created the canyon. But it took the second largest flood in . . . — — Map (db m70474)
Stricker Store and Rock Creek Stage Station. Five miles south, one mile west. First Trading Post to be established west of Fort Hall on the Old Oregon Trail in 1863. — — Map (db m125447) HM
The town of Hansen is named in honor of area pioneer and merchant John Hansen, a native of Denmark. Hansen, who had settled first near Albion in 1876, moved to Rock Creek in 1900 where he owned and operated a store until 1916. John Hansen was a . . . — — Map (db m125449) HM
Until 1919, when a high suspension bridge was completed here, this 16-mile long river gorge could be crossed only in a rowboat. With 14 cables, each more than 900 feet long, a $100,000 suspension bridge was wide enough to accommodate two lanes of . . . — — Map (db m62131) HM
This site, Old Rock Creek, was the transportation center for Southcentral, Idaho from August 1864, when Ben Holladay's stage-coach first arrived here at the stage station, until the completion of the railroad on the north side of the Snake River. . . . — — Map (db m125410) HM
The lush willow bottoms of Rock Creek provided Native Americans with a natural campsite. During the early and mid-1800s, Rock Creek was an oasis for the trappers, explorers and Oregon-bound emigrants attempting to traverse the arid Snake River . . . — — Map (db m31522) HM
An 1864 overland stage station at Rock Creek, 5 miles south and a mile west of here, offered a desert oasis for 40 years before irrigated farming transformed this area. James Bascom's 1865 store and Herman Stricker's 1900 mansion have been . . . — — Map (db m31521) HM
Original building was erected by James Bascom in 1878. The first trading post west of Fort Hall. Station for Pony Express and Ben Halliday (sic, Holladay) Stage Line. The largest artery of wagon travel in United States passed here on old Oregon . . . — — Map (db m125408) HM
Herman & Lucy Stricker
Pioneers of Old Rock Creek who built an oasis in a sagebrush desert where all could find supplies and help when needed.
Old Rock Creek
Ben Holladay located a stage station . . . — — Map (db m125411) HM
The waters of Rock Creek and the grass that grew along its banks provided a welcome oasis for travelers traversing the arid Snake River Plain. This combination caused the area to become a favorite camping site for Oregon Trail emigrants and a . . . — — Map (db m125406) HM
Magic in the Desert
Here, at the Hansen Overlook, you are in the heart of Idaho's Magic Valley. Once this valley was a dry sagebrush covered desert. Water from the Snake River magically transformed the desert seemingly overnight into one . . . — — Map (db m70473) HM
During the 1860s and 1870s, this area was home to hundreds of miners who came seeking their fortunes in gold. Towns and mining camps with hotels and other businesses sprung up to accommodate them.
Miners removed the precious metal from placer . . . — — Map (db m125453) HM
(This marker is composed of photographs and the captions associated with them.)(top left)
Carved by a Flood
Lake Bonneville, the bigger ancestor of Salt Lake, flooded this area about 15,000 years ago. Twin Falls, . . . — — Map (db m125565) HM
Gold was discovered in 1869 below Shoshone Falls. During the summer of 1870, hundreds of prospectors entered the canyon searching the rocky slopes and sand bars for the very fine particles of gold called "flour gold". Three mining camps - Shoshone, . . . — — Map (db m125451) HM
In 1811 the Hunt party likened the terrific torrent of the Snake River three miles east of here to a boiling caldron, adding the the old Scottish word "linn," meaning a waterfall. They had lost a man and a canoe in a roaring chute upstream. . . . — — Map (db m31523) HM
Constructed in 1910 about 8 miles west of here, Salmon Dam was a spectacular early irrigation structure.
220 feet high, it blocks a narrow lava gorge of Salmon Falls Creek. Intended to create a large reservoir to irrigate desert lands north . . . — — Map (db m125620) HM
(Three panels are found at the Bisbee kiosk:)
The Bisbee Collection
The earliest dreamers knew how to sell Magic Valley: you just has to see it.
By 1904 Twin Falls was a real city with platted streets, basic services, . . . — — Map (db m125455) HM
In 1964, Twin Falls County voters established a community college, and Jerome County soon voted to join their college district. Started in 1965 as part of a state and national effort to expand local educational opportunity, College of Southern . . . — — Map (db m31519) HM
Crowley's Soda Fountain and General Store (formerly the Crowley Pharmacy and Soda Fountain) is located in what was once a four-story building that was constructed ca. 1910, and stood for six decades as one of Twin Falls' tallest buildings. First . . . — — Map (db m125615) HM
Honoring builders of bridges and trails and pioneers who passed this way in the development of the West.
The first wagon bridge over Snake River was erected here by James M. Taylor in 1865 replacing the ferry established on the . . . — — Map (db m124382) HM
Early day big game hunters who occupied lava caves around here more than 12,000 years ago, had a diet that included elephants, camels and giant bison.
When a gradual change to a warmer, drier climate made local grasslands into more desert . . . — — Map (db m124385) HM
In 1908 when James L. Milner needed to house his Farmers and Merchants' Bank, he purchased Turner and Shane's clothing and furnishing store at Park Avenue and A Street. By 1918, Milner had transformed the store into one of Idaho's best-equipped . . . — — Map (db m124381) HM
Under the Homestead Act of 1880, John Lingren acquired this land, cleared the sagebrush, raised vegetables and dairy products, started a nursery, planted hundred of fruit, evergreen, shade and ornamental trees. It became Idaho Falls' first amusement . . . — — Map (db m124383) HM
A retail institution in downtown Twin Falls for 81 years, the "ID" building was built in 1905. Originally known as the Allen Mercantile Co., the store was renamed the Idaho Department Store in 1908 and operated under the same name until 1986. The . . . — — Map (db m125616) HM
I. B. Perrine was an early Twin Falls settler and developer who made his home — Blue Lakes Ranch — in the Snake River Canyon. His vision, planning and dedication led to Twin Falls growth from a desert outpost to a flourishing city. — — Map (db m62964) HM
The structure you now see spanning the Snake River Canyon was completed in July 1976 at a cost of $9,700,000. It is 1500 feet in length with the roadway approximately 480 feet above the Snake River. This arch structure . . . — — Map (db m62965) HM
Attempted a mile long leap of the Snake River Canyon on Sept. 8, 1974 employing a unique skycycle. The large dirt ramp is visible approx. 2 miles east of this point on the south ridge of the canyon. Donated to the community by Sunset Memorial — — Map (db m62966) HM
4 miles east of here, the Snake River falls in thunder 210 feet over a rocky ledge higher than famous Niagara. Indians, trappers, and travellers all knew the "Great Shoshonie." Now the waters upstream have been harnessed for irrigation and power, . . . — — Map (db m31520) HM
Shoshone Falls Hydroelectric Project.
In 1900 Ira B. Perrine began seeking investors for a hydroelectric plant at Shoshone Falls, ultimately forming the Shoshone Falls Power Company on March 9, 1904. In 1907, the site was sold to William S. . . . — — Map (db m62971) HM
(Three panels are found at the Shoshone Falls kiosk:)
The Niagara of the West The Discovery of Shoshone Falls
No one knows the first non-native person to set eyes upon them. The Wilson Hunt expedition of fur trappers passed through . . . — — Map (db m125458) HM
(Two panels are found at the Shoshone kiosk:)
Native Americans and life in the Snake River Canyon
Coyote Creates the Snake River
A Traditional Shoshone-Bannock Story
Once in that . . . — — Map (db m125560) HM
Owned and operated by Idaho Power, the Shoshone Falls Hydroelectric Project located on the Snake River, is licensed by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission as Project No. 2778.
The reservoir provides recreation opportunities for boating, . . . — — Map (db m26478) HM
Built in 1904-05 by the Twin Falls Investment Co. at the southwest corner of Main and Shoshone, the Hotel Perrine was described as "a showcase for Southern Idaho" and "a beacon of progress." Building materials were freighted across the desert from . . . — — Map (db m125619) HM
The International Order of Odd Fellow dedicated the building April, 14, 1908. Reserving second floor space below a stained glass skylight for their Lodge Room, the Trustees rented out the rest. Unfortunately, excessive noise from a tenant, the . . . — — Map (db m124380) HM
Originally know as the C. Harder Bakery and Grocery, this historic building was constructed in 1906 by German immigrant Harder Frederick Harder who opened the town's first bakery. Harder named his business after his wife Carrie and used the second . . . — — Map (db m125618) HM