“You can fool all the people part of the time and part of the people all the time, but you can not fool all the people all the time.”
Spoken in an address in Clinton July 27, 1858 by
“I must stand . . . — — Map (db m11030) HM
Near East Woodlawn Street east of North Monroe Street, on the left when traveling east.
During the twenty years Abraham Lincoln attended the DeWitt County Court on the Eighth Judicial Circuit, he and Clifton H. Moore, Clinton’s first resident attorney, developed a deep friendship as well as a mutual law practice.
The two men . . . — — Map (db m24298) HM
On South Center Street north of Adams Street, on the left when traveling south.
Barnett Tavern, owned and operated by Alvin and Rebecca Barnett, stood at 200 South Center Street. The two-story home was a stopping-place for weary travelers, circuit lawyers, and judges journeying across the Illinois prairie. When in Clinton, . . . — — Map (db m24236) HM
On North Center Street at Washington Street, on the left when traveling north on North Center Street.
During his twenty years on the Eighth Judicial Circuit, Abraham Lincoln tried numerous cases in the DeWitt County courthouses, including a slander case involving William Dungey. Dungey, “a dark skinned man of Portuguese descent,” . . . — — Map (db m24237) HM
On East Lincoln Square at East Main Street, on the left when traveling north on East Lincoln Square.
Top SectionDeWitt County was part of the Eighth Judicial Circuit from its beginning, and so was Abraham Lincoln, who attended the first session of DeWitt Circuit Court in Clinton on October 24, 1839. Court sessions were held each . . . — — Map (db m24321) HM
On South Center Street south of Lincoln Square Drive, on the right when traveling south.
This satirical February 1863 editorial illustration, titled “The Copperhead Party, “ depicts three Copperheads advancing on Columbia. Copperheads were Southern sympathizers who saw themselves as “Peace . . . — — Map (db m24235) HM
On East Johnson Street east of North Center Street, on the left when traveling east.
A proper Presbyterian Church was under construction in the summer of 1859. A floor was laid, walls, roof, and belfry nearly completed, when “a halt due to lack of funds” occurred. In October 1859, money was urgently needed to . . . — — Map (db m24247) HM
On Marion Street (a.k.a. Jemima Road) east of North Cain Street, on the right when traveling east.
Clifton H. Moore, DeWitt County’s first resident attorney, built this stately brick home in 1857-58 on an eighty-acre tract of land purchased from Judge David Davis. The original house suffered damage from a windstorm and now lacks . . . — — Map (db m24301) HM
On Woodlawn Street west of Quincy Street, on the right when traveling west.
When Lincoln called for troops to defend the Union, the men and boys of DeWitt County heeded his urgent request. Some who volunteered were from families who had know and befriended Lincoln during his days as a prairie lawyer . . . — — Map (db m24253) HM
On West Johnson Street west of North Center Street, on the left when traveling west.
Lincoln traveled the Eighth Judicial Circuit six months a year, becoming close friends with his fellow lawyers, with whom he shared, not only courtroom, but also meals, an easy camaraderie, and often a . . . — — Map (db m24325) HM
On Springfield Street east of Chicago Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Law and Lodging
During his years traveling the Eighth Judicial Circuit, Abraham Lincoln was the overnight guest of many DeWitt County residents. As a frontier lawyer, he spent several months per year . . . — — Map (db m24371) HM