Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Decatur County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Side 'Two' - - Civil War General John T. Wilder Marker image, Touch for more information
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
Side 'Two' - - Civil War General John T. Wilder Marker
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.2001.1 — Civil War General John T. Wilder
On East Main Street (State Road 46) west of North Lathrop Street, on the right when traveling west.
Side one Wilder (1830-1917), resident of Greensburg circa 1858-1869, built this home 1865-1866. He was millwright and inventor; provided major employment in the area. Enlisted in Civil War; appointed lieutenant colonel of Seventeenth . . . — Map (db m44744) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Colonel Thomas Hendricks / Elizabeth Trimble Hendricks
On North Franklin Street north of East Main Street (U.S. 421), on the left when traveling north.
1822 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1922 Colonel Thomas Hendricks Veteran of the War of 1812 Founded this Town in 1821 He built the first cabin and donated one hundred acres of ground to the new . . . — Map (db m44769) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Decatur County (Indiana) Bridge 140 — Bridge Moved —
On City Pond Park Drive east of County Road 500.
Built by the Pan-American Bridge Company of New Castle, Indiana, in 1915. This bridge originally carried County Road 700 South over Sand Creek, 2.5 miles East of Letts, Indiana. This bridge was disassembled, rehabilitated, and reconstructed at this . . . — Map (db m22028) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Decatur County All Wars Memorial
On East Main Street (U.S. 421) west of North Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west.
Note: When this Memorial was documented and photographed (Sunday: 7-17-2011), it was being yet constructed (and/or reconstructed.) There were skids of building material setting about in the parking lot, ground opened, concrete just finished, . . . — Map (db m45063) WM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Decatur County Civil War Memorial
On East Main Street (U.S. 421) west of North Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west.
( Front Plaque ) In Honor of the Civil War Soldiers of Decatur County. “This monument cannot disclose. Nor can the skill of mortal make a record of the countless woes they suffered for their Country’s sake.” . . . — Map (db m44943) WM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.1980.1 — Decatur County Court House
On East Main Street (U.S. 421) west of North Franklin Street, on the right when traveling east.
Site of the original court house built in 1827 and occupied until 1854. Present building completed in 1860. Large tooth aspen tree appeared in 1870 on the roof of the 115 foot clock tower. In July, 1863, it became a temporary armory while troops . . . — Map (db m44757) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.2007.1 — Donnell -V.- State, 1852
On East Washington Street east of North Broadway Street, on the right when traveling east.
Side one: Luther Donnell was convicted in Decatur Circuit Court (1849) of aiding fugitive slaves, Caroline and her four children, to escape to Canada. In Donnell v. State, Indiana Supreme Court reversed the conviction, claiming that under . . . — Map (db m44752) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.2008.1 — Escape of Caroline, 1847
On County Road N80NE at Road E280N, on the right when traveling south on County Road N80NE.
Side one: Caroline and her four children escaped Kentucky slave owner October 31, 1847; they crossed Ohio River near Madison. After passing near here, Fugit Township black and white residents hid family close to Clarksburg. While hidden, . . . — Map (db m44743) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Spanish American War Veterans
On East Main Street (U.S. 421) west of North Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west.
( Front Plaque ) ( Bronze “Crest” of the “Spanish War Veterans 1898 - 1902" ) ( Obverse Plaque ) ( Likeness of the Original Memorial ) Original Spanish American War Memorial On 24 August . . . — Map (db m44798) WM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — The Naegel Building
On North Franklin Street north of East Main Street (U.S. 421), on the right when traveling north.
In 1893 Robert Naegel built this two-story structure featuring an elaborate metal facade that reflects a combination of Italianate and Queen Anne architecture. The Capital Finance Corporation was located here for nearly 40 years, beginning in the . . . — Map (db m44947) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Veterans Memorial
On Veterans Way (at milepost 132).
(Currently no transcription - work on the memorial and its surroundings are in progress as of spring, 2018)Map (db m116576) WM
Indiana (Decatur County), Westport — Westport Covered Bridge
On W. Layton Drive north of County Road W1100S, on the right when traveling west.
A Single Span Burr Arch Bridge Built by A.M. Kennedy & Sons in 1880 Clear Span 111 ft. 6 in. Overall Length 130 ft. Entered on the National Register of Historic Places June 25, 1982 — Map (db m73979) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement