Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Elkhart County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Entrance and driveway to Jackson Cemetery image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, September 10, 2013
Entrance and driveway to Jackson Cemetery
Indiana (Elkhart County), Benton — Jackson Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Jackson Cemetery Established 1827 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2005 Indiana Historical Bureau and William Tuffs Chapter . . . — Map (db m68575) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Benton — Site Of The First School House In Elkhart County
This stone marks the site of the first school house in Elkhart County built of oak logs in 1830 — Map (db m44809) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — Bonneyville Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Bonneyville Cemetery Established 1848 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2005 Indiana Historical Bureau and William Tuffs . . . — Map (db m68707) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — Cathcart Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Cathcart Cemetery Established circa 1834 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2005 Indiana Historical Bureau and William Tuffs . . . — Map (db m68706) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — Cathcart Memorial / Nicholson Memorial
(Side One) Buried in this cemetery were two soldiers. Befitting the honor due and so that future generations will always know this marker was dedicated July 4th 1956 by Charles W. Harker Post 143, American Legion, Bristol, Indiana. . . . — Map (db m68708) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — 20.2007.1 — Graves et al v. Indiana
Side One: In 1847, three Kentucky men tried to capture Thomas Harris, fugitive slave in Bristol; a justice of the peace ruling freed Harris, who fled. In 1848, the Elkhart Circuit Court convicted the three men of causing a riot in 1847. In . . . — Map (db m30744) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — Trout Creek Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Trout Creek Cemetery Established circa 1850 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2005 Indiana Historical Bureau and Elkhart . . . — Map (db m68638) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — William Tuffs Memorial
(Metal Tablet) In Memory of William Tuffs A member of The Boston Tea Party Erected by Improved Order of Redmen (Stone Tablet) William Tuffs Born June 11, 1750 Died September 5, 1847 Aged 97 Years His . . . — Map (db m68709) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.1998.2 — Ambrose G. Bierce
Born in Ohio 1842; family moved to Kosciusko County, Indiana 1846. Bierce lived and worked in Elkhart 1860-1861. Union officer wounded in Civil War. Moved to California 1866; became nationally prominent as journalist, short story writer, and critic. . . . — Map (db m44852) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Bucklen Opera House — 1884 - 1986 — Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart
Bucklen Opera House 1884 - 1986 Main and Harrison Streets Commissioned by: Herbert E. Bucklen Architect: Unknown General Contractor: Unknown The Bucklen Opera House, built in 1884 on the northwest corner of Main and Harrison . . . — Map (db m64642) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2006.1 — C.G. Conn Company
Side One: Charles Gerard Conn began the musical instrument industry in Elkhart; city has been called the Band Industry Capital of the World. By 1874 producing rubber mouthpiece; was granted patent 1875; began producing musical . . . — Map (db m30747) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2009.1 — Charles Gordone
Born in Ohio, 1925, Gordone grew up in Elkhart and graduated from Elkhart High School in 1944. In the 1950s, he moved to New York City where he worked as an actor, director, and playwright. During the 1960s, he acted in the award-winning . . . — Map (db m32734) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Development of Diagnostic Test Strips — Elkhart, Indiana - 1956
A Miles Laboratories research team led by Alfred and Helen Free developed the first diagnostic test strip, Clinistix(R), for detecting glucose in urine. Reagent-impregnated strips changed color based on the concentration of glucose. This . . . — Map (db m64643) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2007.2 — Dr. Franklin L. Miles
Side one: Born circa 1845 in Ohio. Graduated from Rush Medical College 1874. Moved medical practice from Chicago to Elkhart 1875. Began The Dr. Miles Medical Company 1885 to sell Dr. Miles' Nervine, Restorative Nerve and Liver pills, and . . . — Map (db m44877) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2006.2 — E. Hill Turnock
(Side one): Added many buildings to the architectural significance of Elkhart, Goshen, and Nappanee. Born mid-1850s in England; his family moved to Elkhart early 1870s. In mid-1880s he moved to Chicago; worked until 1890 with architect . . . — Map (db m32728) HM
Indiana (Elkhart county), Elkhart — Elkhart Carnegie Public Library — 1903 - 1963 — Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart
Elkhart Carnegie Public Library 1903-1963 Second and High Streets Local Financial Supporters: A.H. Beardsley, G.B. Pratt, Sr. And the City of Elkhart Head Librarian: Katherine Sage In February 1901, backed by a promise from . . . — Map (db m75445) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart Civil War Monument
(Front (West) Panel) Erected A.D. 1909, by the Ex-Soldiers and Sailors Association Elkhart Indiana To the memory of our departed heroes of the Union Army. Their services to a grateful country were gallant and self sacrificing. May . . . — Map (db m76220) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart County Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial
Erected by The William Tuffs Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution In Honor of the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Elkhart County William Tuffs • Walter Denny • John Proctor • Jacob Leer • John R. . . . — Map (db m75444) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart High School — 1910 - 1972 — Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart
Elkhart High School 1910-1972 Second and High Streets Architect: E. Hill Turnock Superintendent: E.H. Drake Principal: S.B. McCracken Elkhart High School was designed and built to match the existing Central School Building . . . — Map (db m75446) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart River Old Indian Trail
The old Indian trail which followed the Elkhart River, turned here to the northwest, and connected the “Miamis Fort” with “Fort St. Joseph”. From the time of the French and Indian War in 1755 to 1763, up to the . . . — Map (db m76258) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart River Wharves
East from this point, along the "Elkheart" River were located the wharves where produce and merchandise to and from the village of "Elkheart", 1835 to 1851, was carried by Keel and Steamboat. — Map (db m61185) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Havilah Beardsley — 1795 – 1856
In Honor of Havilah Beardsley. 1795 – 1856 First physician of this township who purchased Section five of the Indians in 1829, and in 1832 laid out the original plat of Elkhart. Built the first saw mill in 1831; the first flour . . . — Map (db m73147) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Island Park
Island Park was given to the City of Elkhart in the Year 1887 by James Rufus Beardsley It has been passed down through early Indian legions that the form of this island resembled an elk's heart - it is very probable, that from this source . . . — Map (db m69774) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Lou Criger
This memorial is dedicated to the life of Lou Criger Born in Elkhart, Ind., Feb. 6, 1872 to Charles J. and Lovina Stutsman Criger, the city's first major leaguer was known as one of the best catchers of his day and caught most of Cy Young's . . . — Map (db m67096) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Main St. Memorial Bridge
Main St. Memorial Bridge 1917   • Dedicated •   1918 To the Sons of Elkhart County Who Died in the World War Fravel Edward Alleman • Charles O. Anderson • Eugene J. Badina • John H. Berkey • Fred Leroy Bloom • Merrill Charles Bloss • . . . — Map (db m73150) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Ruthmere — 1908
Erected by Albert R. Beardsley Placed on the National Register of Historic Places November 28, 1978 by the United States Department of the Interior in cooperation with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of Historic . . . — Map (db m76259) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Silas Baldwin Civil War Memorial
(Top Front Panel) Lieut. Frank Baldwin Killed in battle at Stone River December 31st, 1862. Aged 18 yrs. (Bottom Front Panel) Erected by Silas Baldwin in honor of the heroes who fought and the martyrs who fell in the . . . — Map (db m76256) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Havilah Beardsley House
The Havilah Beardsley House 102 West Beardsley Avenue has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1848 — Map (db m76261) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The History of Boot Lake
An Icy Beginning Millions of years ago Elkhart was covered by glaciers. The Glaciers moved south, eroding the land collecting glacial drift. 9,000 BC The glaciers eventually began to retreat north, leaving behind their glacial . . . — Map (db m68532) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Rivers and the Native Americans — Our Rivers' Story
The Early Inhabitants of the Valley Centuries before the area was settled by whites, at least two different native tribes inhabited the St Joseph Valley. The Miami The Miami were the first recorded tribe known to have lived in . . . — Map (db m69777) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Rivers for Industry — Our Rivers' Story
The Hydraulics      Elkhart's early development as an industrial city can be attributed to its proximity to several waterways. Before the advent of electric power, the early industry pioneers harnessed the power of the river flow to . . . — Map (db m69752) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Rivers for Recreation — Our Rivers' Story
Island Park      The island formed by the confluence of the Elkhart and St. Joseph Rivers could be said to be the birthplace of our community. According to folklore, the Native Americans living in the area named the Elkhart River, . . . — Map (db m69775) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Trooper Richard T. Gaston, PE# 6679
Born 1 December 1969 Killed in the line of duty on the Indiana Toll Road St. Joseph County 4 March 1999 Served the Indiana State Police from 13 December 1998 to 4 March 1999 — Map (db m88601) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Village of Pulaski
Pulaski post office established here 1829. Fort Wayne Road, to Chicago-Detroit Road and Niles, forded the river at this point. Village of Elkhart was laid out in 1832 and post office name changed to Elkhart in 1839. — Map (db m69729) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — A History of the Winona — Winona Railway Trail
In the early 1900's, Indiana had more miles of electric train lines than any other state in the United States. The lines blossomed primarily at Indianapolis, radiating out to transport people and goods to and from the bustling city. Indianapolis . . . — Map (db m74203) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — A History of the Winona / Bethany Christian Schools — Winona Railway Trail
(Side One) A History of the Winona In the early 1900's, Indiana had more miles of electric train lines than any other state in the United States. The lines blossomed primarily at Indianapolis, radiating out to transport people . . . — Map (db m70504) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.1997.1 — A. E. Kunderd Gladiolus Farm
Amos E. Kunderd (1866 - 1965) owned and resided on a 100-acre farm on this site. Respected internationally for hybridization of varieties of gladioli which were exhibited, and grown in gardens, throughout the world. Originated the ruffled and . . . — Map (db m30161) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad — Pumpkinvine Nature Trail
On February 21st, 1837, the Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad first met in South Bend, Indiana to discuss the development of a rail system that would connect the county seats between Chicago, Illinois and Toledo, Ohio. After the State of Indiana denied . . . — Map (db m72700) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.2001.2 — Elkhart County Courthouse
Side 1: Elkhart County was formed by the Indiana General Assembly 1830; the first county seat was located in Concord Township. County commissioners relocated the county seat to Goshen 1831. Jacob Studebaker, Goshen, designed first brick . . . — Map (db m30157) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Elkhart County Courthouse — Millrace Canal Trail
Considered to be one of the most attractive county buildings in the State of Indiana, the Elkhart County Courthouse is also one of the oldest buildings in Goshen. The original courthouse was built in 1831 by Jacob Studebaker, who (it is said) walked . . . — Map (db m64233) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Elkhart County Home Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Elkhart County Home Cemetery Established 1887 A Historic Cemetery listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2004 Indiana Historical Bureau, Elkhart . . . — Map (db m68362) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Elkhart County Honor Roll
(( Center Plaque )) This Memorial Dedicated by The Citizens of Elkhart County to perpetuate the memory of our Valiant Citizens who sacrificed their lives for God and Country and Honoring those who served in our . . . — Map (db m68805) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Fort Wayne Street Bridge
. . . — Map (db m72673) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Goshen College — Winona Railway Trail
Goshen College began as the Elkhart Institute of Science, Industry and the Arts on Elkhart's South Main Street in 1894, but moved to the Maple City and changed its name in 1903; the location chosen was easily accessible to rail transportation. The . . . — Map (db m72592) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Goshen World War I Memorial
In Memory of the
Heroes of Goshen Who died in the World War — Map (db m72591) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.2003.1 — Goshen’s Carnegie Library
Side A Indiana's first Carnegie library opened here 1903 with 3, 000 volumes. Goshen Library Association received $25, 000 in Carnegie grants 1901. Public donations, land purchase, and tax levy met Carnegie grant conditions. Architects Patton . . . — Map (db m32724) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.1998.1 — Howard W. Hawks
Born 1896 in house on this site into locally prominent family. Moved with parents to Neenah, Wisconsin 1899 and to Pasadena, California 1906. Hawks - director, producer, screenwriter - is recognized as one of Hollywood's greatest filmmakers. His . . . — Map (db m30407) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.1966.1 — Indiana Territory Line
The boundary between Indiana and Michigan territories was established in 1805. Just before Indiana became a state in 1816, the line was moved ten miles north to give Indiana frontage on Lake Michigan. — Map (db m44849) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Madison Street School and Chandler School — Central City Trail
The current Chandler School is located on the site of the former Madison Street School, one of Goshen's first schools, opened in 1849. Miss Emma Chandler was the first principal from 1871 to 1898. In 1874, a four room addition was completed, but the . . . — Map (db m69804) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Millrace Hydraulic Canal - Hawks Electric Company — Millrace Canal Trail
Built as a source of hydraulic power for Goshen's industries, the Millrace Canal gave rise to a new form of energy in the late 1890's - electricity. In 1898 the energy of the canal was harnessed by the Hawks Electric Company's central generating . . . — Map (db m64232) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Oakridge Cemetery
The earliest known burials at Oakridge date to 1832. The trustees of First Church founded the cemetery in 1839. It was ceded to the City of Goshen in 1859. — Map (db m72699) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Pioneer Dierdorff Cemetery Folk Lore
The folk lore concerning this cemetery has been handed down through generations by word of mouth. Most of it has proved to be factual through the efforts of Gordon Treesh, who researched old records and diaries. This is not a family cemetery, . . . — Map (db m74217) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — Shanklin Park — Millrace Canal Trail
Established in 1958, Shanklin Park was named after respected Goshen High School English teacher, Merle Shanklin. Formerly serving as the site of Goshen's landfill, the park has grown into the city's largest and most popular park. Located within the . . . — Map (db m68836) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — St. John's Lutheran Church
St. John's Lutheran Church Built 1852 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m74199) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The County Farm
Ox Bow Park was once the site of the County Farm. The farm provided a residence for those who could not support themselves. Residents helped run the farm, grew food and generated income. The Elkhart County Farm The Elkhart County Farm was . . . — Map (db m73482) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Engines of the Winona — Winona Railway Trail
The Winona Interurban Railway once ran along this corridor. The passenger and freight service was initially powered by electricity and later by internal-combustion engines until its demise. The Winona Interurban Railway was created just as . . . — Map (db m69803) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Goshen Dam and Millrace Hydraulic Canal — Millrace Canal Trail
Construction of the Goshen Dam and Millrace Canal began in March of 1867 and was completed on April 18, 1868, the same day Goshen was incorporated as a city. The project was built by a 40 man crew using horses and plows to excavate the canal bed. . . . — Map (db m64230) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Historic Goshen Police Booth
Erected 1939 to protect the Maple City from gangsters who might travel along this the old transcontinental Lincoln Highway — Map (db m30164) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Old Goshen High School — Central City Trail
This building served as Goshen High School from 1904 until the spring of 1923. Construction was completed in 1904 with a budget of $50,000. By 1920 this building was considered too small and land was purchased from the Wurster Estate on Lincolnway . . . — Map (db m72594) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Old Stone Bridge — Millrace Canal Trail
Several bridges have been built across the Millrace Canal at various stages throughout its history. Most of these bridges were built for transportation purposes (first horse and carriage, then railroads and automobiles), although some were built . . . — Map (db m64231) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — The Site of Fort Beane
This stone marks The Site of Fort Beane, built in 1832, as a refuge for the early settlers, at the time of the Blackhawk War. — Map (db m30173) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — West Goshen Cemetery
Settler John Cripe who died in 1841 is believed to be the first burial at West Goshen. The site was purchased and used by the German Baptist Church beginning in 1859. The cemetery was ceded to the City of Goshen in 1975. — Map (db m74219) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — Dan West
Dan West was a resident of the Middlebury area when, in 1944, he created the Heifer Project, now Heifer International, an international relief program. This program sends pregnant cows, as well as other livestock, throughout the world to relieve . . . — Map (db m72736) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — Krider Nurseries
These gardens, displayed in the 1934 Chicago “A Century of Progress” World’s Fair, gave Krider Nurseries nationwide prominence. After showcasing an immaculately designed garden as a promotion at the fair, Krider Nurseries brought parts . . . — Map (db m72768) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — 20.2001.1 — Krider Nurseries World's Fair Garden
Side One: Krider Nurseries constructed and exhibited Krider's Diversified Garden at Century of Progress International Exposition in Chicago 1933-1934. Some plants and structures were returned to Middlebury, and garden was reconstructed . . . — Map (db m30745) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — Middlebury World War II Roll of Honor
Roll of Honor Citizens of Middlebury and York Township Who Served Our Country in World War II Albert, Thurland • Allman, Don • Artley, Randall • Artley, Russell • Balyeat, Byron • Beall, William • Beck, Charles • Bender, Gordon • . . . — Map (db m72743) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — Vernon H. Krider
In 1893 Vernon marched proudly off the rostrum with his high school sheepskin tucked under his arm. He was sure he was going away to school to become a physician. However, the country was in a depression, so his family could not afford to pay for . . . — Map (db m72767) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — 20.2005.1 — Nappanee Cartoonists
(Side one): Merrill Blosser was first Nappanee artist to gain national recognition as a professional cartoonist. Freckles and His Friends, his most popular cartoon, ran from 1915 to 1973, syndicated by Newspaper Enterprise Association. In . . . — Map (db m31478) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — 20.2005.2 — Nappanee Furniture
Side one: Nappanee platted 1874 on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad line. Sawmill opened 1873 produced ties for railroad construction. Coppes and Mutschler brothers were partners in lumber, milling, and furniture business, 1902-1913, becoming . . . — Map (db m62666) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — Nappanee World Wars Memorial
In Memory of those from this community who gave their lives in the World Wars Orval H. Andrews • William G. Anglin • Arthur Buss • Robert W. Chambers • Dale Junior Cleveland • Robert W. Geyer • Devon R. Hall • Russel R. Huff • Dean M. . . . — Map (db m74220) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — Stahly - Nissley - Kuhns Farm
Amish pioneer Christian Stahly purchased this 80 acre farm for his son Moses in 1873. The year before the village of Nappanee was established on the new northern route of the B&O Railroad. Three generations of related Amish families have lived here. . . . — Map (db m74075) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), New Paris — Five Medals Village
Near this spot stood the village of the Potawatomi War Chief Five Medals, whose Indian name was Onaska. This chief ceased hostilities against the United States government after signing the Greenville Treaty, 1795. He met with Presidents . . . — Map (db m30172) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), New Paris — New Paris World War II Memorial
★ World War II ★ In Memoriam Baringer, Philip H. • Frederick, Clifford • Miller, Harold • Reed, Melvin, Jr. • Stiver, William J. • Weaver, Glen C. ★ ★ ★ Aschliman, Walter • Baringer, Joseph W. . . . — Map (db m72513) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), New Paris — Wyland Brothers Landing
. . . — Map (db m72735) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Wakarusa — Bull Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Bull Cemetery Established circa 1848 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2009 Indiana Historical Bureau and James G. Hermsen . . . — Map (db m68576) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Waterford Mills — Violett Cemetery — "44.15 Acres"
John M. Violett acquired this land from the U.S. Government in 1833 and the original plot of this cemetery on the east bank of the Elkhart River consisted of 10.7 acres. One of the oldest graves here is that of James H. Violett who died in . . . — Map (db m62667) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Waterford Mills — Waterford Elementary School — Winona Railway Trail
The history of Waterford School dates back to a log cabin one mile west of town in about 1830. The first school built in town was a frame building erected on the southwest corner of Egbert Road and South Main Street in 1836. A new one-story brick . . . — Map (db m69802) HM

77 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement