Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Harrison County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Tindall School #3 Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tom Bosse, July 5, 2018
Tindall School #3 Marker
Indiana (Harrison County), Central — Tindall School #3Built in 1857
On Union Chapel Road, on the left when traveling north.
Renovated in the late 1900’s and is presently being kept mowed in the loving memory of the following school mates who departed much too early in their lives: Kenneth R. Gerdon, Sherley M. Snyder Watson, Chester Gene Gerdon.

May they rest in . . . — Map (db m126307) HM

Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — A Fair to Remember
On Old Highway 135 (Indiana Route 337), on the left when traveling north.
Corydon is home to the Harrison County Fairgrounds, which boasts that it holds the oldest continuous county fair in Indiana. Edward Smith, the first settler of Corydon, built a log cabin close to a spring branch, and that spring has remained an . . . — Map (db m126303) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Arville L. Funk1929-1990
On Old Indiana 135, on the right when traveling south.
Civil War cannon has been dedicated to the memory of Arville L. Funk: historian, author, lawyer, teacher, civic and church leader This six-pound field gun is similar to those used by General John Hunt Morgan’s Raiders and the Harrison County Home . . . — Map (db m9687) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1961.1 — Battle of Corydon- - - July 9, 1863 - - -
On North Capitol Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
A force of about 400, Indiana militia and citizen volunteers commanded by Col. Lewis Jordan, engaged John Hunt Morgan's raiders, 2,400 cavalry, along a wooded ridge a mile south of Corydon. The determined Hoosier defense caused General Duke, . . . — Map (db m9636) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Battle of Corydon
Near Old Indiana 135 south of W. Heidelberg Rd. NW, on the right when traveling south.
On July 9, 1863, along this wooded ridge - - - from the “Laconta” Road extending across the “Mauckport” Pike to the old “New Amsterdam” Road - - - occurred the only Civil War battle in Indiana. It was between Gen. . . . — Map (db m9721) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Bell Predates the Civil War
On East Beaver Street at North Elm Street, on the left when traveling east on East Beaver Street.
In loving memory David J. Dukes, M.D. July 16, 1927 — June 15, 1991 Remembered for his love of music, church, sailing, family, and his fellow man. The bell predates the Civil War and may have been in the First Methodist Church around . . . — Map (db m9686) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Branches of History
On West High Street, on the right when traveling west.
Corydon’s Constitution Elm stood a few blocks to the north of Indiana’s first capitol. The huge elm tree, about 50 feet high and spread over 130 feet, offered cooling shade from the summer sun. When the framers of the Indiana Constitution met . . . — Map (db m137628) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Cedar Glade 1808
On Old Hwy 135 (Indiana Route 337) at Cedar Glade Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Old Hwy 135.
House built by Jacob Kintner, Sr. 1808. Named for giant native red cedars in area. Self-sustaining plantation traded 1849 to Thomas McGrain, Sr. for Louisville property. Sheltered Corydon residents July 1863 during Morgan’s Raid. First marked 1966 . . . — Map (db m126306) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1966.4 — Cedar Hill Cemetery
On Summit Street at North Maple Street, on the left when traveling east on Summit Street.
First burials date back to founding of Corydon 1808. Col. Thomas L. Posey, a public minded citizen, donated the original ground to the Town of Corydon for burial purposes. The Farquar family added a small addition and the remainder of the cemetery . . . — Map (db m9718) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Constitution Elm
On West High Street, on the right when traveling west.
Constitution Elm on this spot, beneath the shade of the elm the Constitution of Indiana was framed in June, 1816 this tree lived until 1925, attaining a height of fifty feet. A trunk diameter of five feet and a spread of one hundred thirty- . . . — Map (db m137509) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Corydon
On East Walnut Street at North Elm Street, on the right when traveling east on East Walnut Street.
Plaque A At the dawn of the 1800’s, Territorial Governor William Henry Harrison rode horseback through this valley and grew to admire the serenity of its hills and streams, and the intrepid determination of its pioneer settlers. A . . . — Map (db m137575) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Corydon Convention Of Freemasons
On North Elm Street, on the right when traveling north.
In the home of Reuben W. Nelson two blocks east of here, eleven Master Masons representing the nine lodges of Indiana assembled Dec. 3, 1817 and called a meeting at Madison to organize a Grand Lodge. — Map (db m9616) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1980.1 — Corydon United Methodist Church
On North Elm Street north of East Beaver Street, on the right when traveling north.
Site of the first Methodist church, Corydon. Lot purchased from Isaiah Boone, son of Squire Boone, in 1826. Earlier, Corydon was a station on Silver Creed Methodist Circuit. Services were held in Corydon as early as 1816. — Map (db m9716) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Dedicated In Everlasting TributeCorydon War Memorial
On North Capitol Avenue (State Road 62) at East Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north on North Capitol Avenue.
(Center Panel): Dedicated in Everlasting Tribute to World War II Veterans of Harrison County and to the Enduring Memory of our Hallowed Dead Lest we forget, they died that we may live (Immediate Left of Center . . . — Map (db m79524) WM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 4 — Downtown CorydonThe Pillaging and Plundering Begins — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Capitol Avenue (Indiana Route 337) at Cherry Street, on the right when traveling north on Capitol Avenue.
On July 9, 1863, Colonel Lewis Jordan, Commander of the 5th Regiment, Indiana Legion units (Home Guard) had established a defensive position south of Corydon by 12:30 p.m., General Morgan’s cavalry forces successfully outflanked Jordan's position. . . . — Map (db m126277) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1962.2 — First State Capital
On Ohio River Scenic Byway (State Road 62) 0.3 miles east of State Road 135, on the right when traveling east.
Corydon became the first state capital of Indiana in 1816. The first constitution was drawn up and the first sessions of the state legislature and supreme court convened here. — Map (db m9712) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1962.1 — First State Office Building
On North Mulberry Street at East Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north on North Mulberry Street.
Built 1817. Housed offices of State Treasurer and Auditor until Fall of 1824. The cellar was the Treasury vault. Building used by Harrison County Seminary, 1829-51. Since 1871, home of Amzi Brewster heirs. — Map (db m9710) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1965.3 — Governor's HeadquartersHendricks House
On East Walnut Street south of North Elm Street, on the right when traveling west.
Home of Governor William Hendricks 1822-1825 while he was Governor of Indiana. Front room was Governor's Headquarters. Hendricks was also Secretary of Constitutional Convention. House wa built 1817 by Davis Floyd, Territorial Auditor and Treasurer . . . — Map (db m9711) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1966.5 — Harrison County
On East Cherry Street, on the left when traveling north.
Organized 1808 from parts of Knox and Clark Counties. Named in honor of William Henry Harrison who owned land within the County and was Territorial Governor and later ninth President of U.S. Fourth County formed in Indiana Territory. Original . . . — Map (db m9750) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Harrison County (Indiana) Fair
On South Capitol Ave. (State Road 337), on the right when traveling south.
Oldest continuous County Fair existing in Indiana. First fair held Sept. 11 - 14, 1860. Citizens met jan. 1860, organized Harrison County Agricultural Society, adopted constitution which with amendments governs yet today. Ground purchased Mar. 1860 . . . — Map (db m9634) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1965.2 — Harrison County Jail
On North Capitol Avenue (State Road 62) at West Cherry Street, on the right when traveling south on North Capitol Avenue.
First Log Jail erected 1809. Spier Spencer, First Sheriff, was killed 1811 commanding the Harrison County Yellow Jackets in the Battle of Tippecanoe. During first twelve years, Harrison County had a whipping post where justice was meted out by . . . — Map (db m9628) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Hottell Insurance Building
On North Capitol Avenue (State Road 337), on the left when traveling north.
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m9644) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — In Honor Of The Men from Harrison County
On East Cherry Street near North Elm Street, on the right when traveling east.
Marker Front In Honor of The men from Harrison County killed or died of wounds at the Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 7, 1811 and War of 1812 Marker's Left Side Capt. Spier Spencer’s Co. Mounted Rifleman . . . — Map (db m9751) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1948.1 — Indiana Capitol
On North Capitol Avenue near East Cherry Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Capital of Indiana Territory was moved to Corydon from Vincennes, 1813. This building became first State Capitol, 1816. Offices were moved to Indianapolis in 1825. — Map (db m9626) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.2004.1 — John ShieldsLewis and Clark Expedition Member
On East Walnut Street near Elm Street, on the right when traveling east.
Shields, born 1769 in Virginia, served as a private for the entire Lewis and Clark Expedition from October 19, 1803 until October 10, 1806; one of its "Nine Young Men from Kentucky," he was a skilled gunsmith and blacksmith. The Corps of . . . — Map (db m9642) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1995.1 — Leora Brown School
On Summit Street west of Hill Street, on the right when traveling east.
Facility built 1891 as elementary and secondary school for African Americans. Originally known as Corydon Colored School; first graduation was on May 14, 1897. Renamed 1987 for Leora Brown Farrow, a teacher at the school, 1924 - 1950. . . . — Map (db m9627) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Morgan's Condederate DeadMorgan's Raid in Harrison County (Indiana)
On Old Indiana 135 0.1 miles south of West Heidleberg Road.
(Confederate Side of Marker): Morgan's Confederate Dead Pvt. Greene Bottomer Pvt. John Dunn Pvt. Albert Womack Eight Unknown Dead Forty Wounded (On Marker Base): Park Ground Donated by C. B. Hays Family (Northern Side of . . . — Map (db m9683) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Old Capital Bank
On North Capitol Avenue south of West Beaver Street, on the left when traveling north.
Old Capital Bank & Trust Company was organized in March, 1922 and began operation at 202 N. Elm Street, across the Square. Bank later purchased this bilding at public auction for $35,000 and opened March 31, 1923. The Neo-Classical structure, . . . — Map (db m9717) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.2008.1 — Oswell Wright
On East Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling east.
Front side Born in Maryland early 1810's. Bought land in Corydon, May 1849. In November 1857, Kentuckians arrested Wright and two white men, Charles and David Bell; they were indicted and jailed in Kentucky for aiding escape of fugitive . . . — Map (db m9615) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Polly Strong Slavery Case
On Old Hwy 135 (Indiana Route 337), on the right when traveling north.
Polly Strong was born into slavery circa 1796 in the Northwest Territory. Vincennes innkeeper Hyacinthe Lasselle purchased her circa 1806. Although the 1816 Indiana Constitution prohibited slavery and involuntary servitude, in 1820, Strong and . . . — Map (db m126304) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1965.1 — Posey House
On North Oak Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built 1817 - - Home of Col. Thomas Posey, son of Gov. Posey. Col. Posey (1792 - 1863) served as Treasurer of Harrison County; Cashier of Corydon Branch of the Bank of Vincennes; U.S. Military Pension Agent in Indiana; Adjutant General of Indiana; . . . — Map (db m9630) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1965.4 — Presbyterian Church
On East Walnut Street at North Elm Street, on the right when traveling west on East Walnut Street.
Organized under Louisville Presbytery, Synod of Kentucky, January 1819 by Rev. John Finley Crowe who later founded Hanover College. Early Church services were held in homes and in State Capitol prior to building first church 1826. Original church . . . — Map (db m9713) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1963.1 — Site of the Battle of Corydon
On Old Indiana 135 south of West Heidelberg Road NW, on the left when traveling south.
Site of the Battle of Corydon July 9 - 1863 — Map (db m9635) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.2003.3 — St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church
On North Maple Street near East High Street, on the right when traveling north.
Side one Free blacks and former slaves organized an African Methodist Episcopal congregation in Corydon by 1843. In 1851, church trustees purchased land in Corydon in order to build a church and for school purposes. In 1878, church . . . — Map (db m9752) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — The Liar's Bench1929 - 1986
On East Walnut Street at North Elm Street, on the right when traveling east on East Walnut Street.
This original Liar's Bench was located under a shade tree on the corner of Chestnut and Capital from 1929 to 1986. It was a popular and cool place for the men to congregate. Many generations of stories have been told on this bench, but it was always . . . — Map (db m9641) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — The Red Mill – Reasor’s Service Station
On South Mulberry Street at East Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling north on South Mulberry Street.
The Red Mill, named for its distinctive red color, operated on the corner of Mill Street (now Chestnut Street) and Mulberry Street from 1834 until 1926. The mill, which was four stories high, required multi-levels for the elevators and shafts that . . . — Map (db m126305) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — World War IGerman 150 M.M. Howitzer — No. 1088 —
On North Capitol Avenue at East Cherry Street, on the right when traveling north on North Capitol Avenue.
This 2 ½ Ton artillery piece was captured by American forces on the Western Front in 1918. Made by the Fried. Krupp Co. Essen, Germany in 1917. The largest arms manufacturer in the world at that time. It could fire a 93 lb. high . . . — Map (db m9679) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — World War IGerman 77 M.M. Trench Mortar
On East Cherry Street near North Elm Street, on the left when traveling east.
New Model "96" made in 1916. This Leichte Minenwerfer, "Light Bomb Thrower" was captured by the French Army and presented to the United States Government by the Government of France. It weighed 550 lbs. when in action and could fire a 10 lb. . . . — Map (db m9709) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — World War I MemorialFor God and Country
On East Cherry Street near North Capitol Avenue (State Road 62), on the right when traveling east.
April 6, 1917           Nov. 11, 1918 William C. Albin • Roscoe Bennett • Charles H. Bird • Charles W. Bliss • William McK. Brewer • Pleasant Brown • George Browning • James R. Caughlin • Raymond Chaffin • Charles W. Coombs • Preston L. Davis • . . . — Map (db m9678) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Laconia — 3 — Frakes’ MillFirst Night in Indiana — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Otterbein Road SE 0.2 miles west of Union Chapel Road SE, on the left when traveling north.
On the night of July 8t, 1863, Morgan’s 1st Brigade, commanded by Colonel Basil W. Duke, camped in this area. This brigade, ferried across first, rode northward from Morvin’s Landing, skirmishing along the way with the Indiana Legion. The militiamen . . . — Map (db m126275) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Maukport — Last Home of Squire Boone
On Indiana Route 135 0.2 miles from 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north.
Four miles northwest, Squire Boone, wilderness scout, brother of Daniel, settled on Buck Creek in 1804. He built Harrison County's first mill. Squire Boone died in 1815. — Map (db m126215) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Maukport — 2 — Morgan Enters Indiana — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Morvins Landing Road at Indiana Route 11, on the right when traveling south on Morvins Landing Road.
On Tuesday, July 7, 1863, the first units of General Morgan’s cavalry command arrived at Brandenburg, Kentucky. Their mission was to capture boats to be used for ferrying Morgan’s two thousand men across the 800-1,000-yard-wide Ohio River into . . . — Map (db m126274) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Maukport — 1 — Morgan’s Great RaidSix Days of Terror — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Indiana Route 135 0.2 miles north of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north.
July 8, 1863. Confederate General John Hunt Morgan and 2,000 cavalrymen crossed the Ohio River into Indiana. They were transported from Brandenburg, Kentucky, on two captured steamboats. For six days, the Raiders rode through Southern Indiana. . . . — Map (db m126220) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Maukport — Morgan's RaidJuly 8-13, 1863
On Indiana Route 135 0.2 miles north of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north.
Despite naval and militia opposition, General John Hunt Morgan, commanding about 2,200 Confederate cavalrymen, began his Indiana raid by crossing the Ohio at this point, July 8, 1863. — Map (db m126216) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Maukport — The Civil War Comes to Indiana — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Indiana Route 135 0.2 miles north of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north.
By July 1863, the American Civil War had entered its third brutal summer. In the East, Confederate forces commanded by Robert E. Lee successfully turned back repeated Union attempts to capture the Southern capital at Richmond. General Lee even . . . — Map (db m126219) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Palmyra — 5 — PalmyraSecond Night in Indiana — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Greene Street NE (Indiana Route 135) at Church Street, on the right when traveling north on Greene Street NE.
On the night of July 9, 1863, Morgan’s cavalrymen camped in the fields in this vicinity. Following an afternoon of looting in Corydon, they reached this point via two parallel roads by early evening. This site is approximately 25 miles from their . . . — Map (db m126278) HM

46 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement