In December, 1679, Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle, with thirty men crossed northwestern Indiana by way of the Kankakee River in an attempt to find a water route to the Pacific Ocean. — — Map (db m64157) HM
Fountain Park has been the site of annual Chautauqua sessions since 1895. The Chautauqua continues to promote traditional values and religious, social and educaitonal activities upon which it was founded. — — Map (db m3806) HM
Built 1897 by Challenge Wind and Feed Mill Company of Batavia, Illinois. Rare tower and wood tank structure is an original example of nineteenth century public water utility facility, construction methods, and technology. Tower has limestone . . . — — Map (db m1513) HM
General Robert H. Milroy, 1816–1890, was appointed colonel of the 9th Indiana Infantry, later promoted to brigadier and major general. He saw extensive action in western Virginia. After the war he served as Indiana agent in State of Washington. — — Map (db m2312) HM
Born February 17, 1892 in Rensselaer; became part of New York Tin Pan Alley music scene. Wrote for Broadway musicals such hits as "Second Hand Rose" (Grant Clarke, lyrics) for Fanny Brice (1921 Ziegfeld Follies) and "Zing! Went . . . — — Map (db m27712) HM
Incorporated as a municipal
steam power plant in 1898.
Changed to diesel power in 1925.
Remodeled and enlarged in 1939.
Chas S Chamberlin Superintendent
Louis C Ramp Asst Superintendent
J W Moore & Son Consulting Engineers . . . — — Map (db m27808) HM
Erected by the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions with funds from Katharine Drexel and operated by the Society of the Precious Blood with federal funds, 60 Indian boys from distant reservations were annually trained here. — — Map (db m2311) HM