Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Knox County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Obverse Side - - " Let There Be Light " Marker image, Touch for more information
By Al Wolf, October 10, 2009
Obverse Side - - " Let There Be Light " Marker
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — " Let There Be Light " — Indiana Territory's First Newspaper —
On North 1st Street east of Buntin Street, on the right when traveling east.
Site of print shop where Elihu Stout (1782 - 1860), Past Grand Master of Masons in Indiana, established Indiana Territory's first newspaper, summer 1804. Originally The Indiana Gazette, it was renamed The Western Sun July 4, 1807. — Map (db m23277) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — "Grouseland" — Built 1803 - 1804 — Home of William Henry Harrison —
On West Scott Street at Park Street, on the right when traveling west on West Scott Street.
Welcome to "Grouseland" Built 1803 - 1804 Home of William Henry Harrison Governor Indiana Territory 1800 - 1812 President of the United States 1840 Mansion owned and restored by Francis Vigo Chapter Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m23255) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Chief Tecumseh — 1768 - 1813
On Hart Street west of 1st Street, on the left when traveling west.
The great Shawnee leader lives on as a symbol of Native pride and pan-Indian identity. In the years 1810 and 1811 Tecumseh defended the rights of his people in meetings in Vincennes with William Henry Harrison, Governor of the Indiana Territory. . . . — Map (db m61831) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Cradle of Freemasonry in Indiana
On Broadway at 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on Broadway.
At historic Vincennes the first Lodge of Freemasons in the present State of Indiana was established, 1809, by the Grand Lodge of Kentucky. Since 1818 it has worked under Indiana charter as Vincennes Lodge No. 1. — Map (db m61836) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Ellis Mansion
On North 2nd Street north of Busseron Street, on the right when traveling north.
Abner Turner Ellis, a Borough President, Probate Judge, and State Senator, promoted the Charter of Ohio & Miss. R. R. (later a part of B & O) and was its first president. His stately home was built by John Moore about 1838. Abraham Lincoln . . . — Map (db m23286) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Five Unknown Soldiers Memorial
Near Willow Street (Business U.S. 41) 0.1 miles south of S. 10th Street, on the left when traveling south.
Five Unknown Soldiers with George Rogers Clark at Capture of Fort Sackville Vincennes, Ind. February 25, 1779 — Map (db m99121) HM WM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.1966.2 — Fort Knox, First Site
On North 1st Street at Buntin Street, on the left when traveling north on North 1st Street.
Built in 1787 by Major John F. Hamtramck under command of General Josiah Harmar. United States Army's most western outpost for several years. Named for General Henry Knox, first Secretary of War. — Map (db m23253) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Fort Sackville in 1779
Fort Sackville was constructed by the British during the Revolutionary War on the site now occupied by the Clark Memorial. Early in that conflict, the Redcoats dominated the frontier from posts north of the Ohio River by sending their Indian . . . — Map (db m61814) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Gold Star - - Honor Roll — World War I Memorial —
On South 1st Street south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
1917 - Knox County - 1919 (Row One:) William Clayton Abraham • Forrest A. Alton • Noble Clarence Baker • Chauncy W. Barr • John Raymond Barr • Andrew Jackson Bennett • Lawrence W. Bouchie • Rex R. Boyer • Ellis P. Cannon • James . . . — Map (db m23353) WM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Home of Francis Vigo
On North 2nd Street north of Busseron Street, on the left when traveling north.
Colonel Vigo built an elegant residence here in 1800. Vigo, a fur trader, helped George Rogers Clark in capturing Fort Sackville and winning the Northwest. Governor William Henry Harrison lived here temporarily after first coming to . . . — Map (db m23284) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Indiana Territory
On Park Street east of East Scott Street, on the right when traveling east.
On July 4, 1800, the western part of the Northwest Territory became the Indiana Territory. It covered land that would eventually be included in the present states of Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Vincennes, on the . . . — Map (db m23266) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Inscription on the Big Bell of the Old Cathedral
On 2nd Street south of Church Street, on the right when traveling south.
(at top of bell) D.O.M. Ad Laud et Glor Domini Nostri et Redepmtoris Jesu Christi Hanc Mariam Annam R.R. D.D. et in Chr Pater Simon G. Brute Qui Primus Vincennopolitanan Sedem Episcopus Tenuis Vovebat Dabat et Consecrabat An Rep Sal MDCCCXXXIX . . . — Map (db m61816) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Knox County (Indiana) Civil War Memorial
On North 7th Street at Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north on North 7th Street.
"In Grateful remembrance of the services and sacrifices of our soldiers in the war of The Union, we, the people of Knox County have erected this monument." — Map (db m23378) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Knox County (Indiana) Gold Star Honor Roll
On North 7th Street at Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north on North 7th Street.
Spanish American War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Desert Storm Following the American Civil War, the United States emergence on the World scene was profound, if not inevitable. The citizens of Knox County have been . . . — Map (db m23497) WM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Knox County Veterans Memorial Park
On North 7th Street at Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north on North 7th Street.
( Upper Left Section ) Welcome to the Knox County Veterans’ Memorial Park. The monuments that stand before you are dedicated to the memory of all the military veterans from Knox County. Most prominent is the “Soldiers and Sailors . . . — Map (db m23581) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.2009.1 — Mary Clark
On North 8th Street south of Broadway Street, on the right when traveling south.
Side One: Born circa 1801, Clark, a slave, was purchased in Kentucky in 1814 by B. J. Harrison, brought to Vincennes in 1815, and indentured as his servant. In 1816, G.W. Johnston purchased her indenture for 20 years. In 1821, Clark and . . . — Map (db m23219) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Millstones from Emison Mills
On Park Street east of East Scott Street, on the right when traveling east.
The larger millstone is made from French Buhr cut into wedge-shaped pieces and bound together by a heavy metal loop. A “stand” is made of two similar stones, the “upper stone” rotating on the “nether stone” to . . . — Map (db m23275) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Niblack Mansion
On North 4th Street at Buntin Street, on the right when traveling west on North 4th Street.
Site of first Courthouse in Indiana Territory - 1813 to about 1834. Was starting point in 1821 for survey of Indiana - Illinois boundary. Present structure, probably built in 1850's, became home of Hon. Wm. E. Niblack, Congressman, Indiana . . . — Map (db m23278) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.1995.1 — Old French House
On North 1st Street north of Seminary Street, on the right when traveling north.
Home of French fur trader Michel Brouillet (1774-1838). French Creole cottage (built circa 1806) is typical of "posts-on-sill" construction technique used by French settlers in Mississippi Valley during eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. . . . — Map (db m23252) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Patriotism of Charles Gratiot
On South 1st Street at Patrick Henry Drive, on the right when traveling south on South 1st Street.
Through the Patriotism of Charles Gratiot in furnishing material aid, Colonel George Rogers Clark was enabled to keep his forces intact and thus to recapture Fort Sackville in 1779. Erected in grateful memory by the Huguenot Societies of the . . . — Map (db m23305) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Red Banks Trace
On Willow Street (Business U.S. 41) 0.1 miles south of S. 10th Street, on the left when traveling south.
Indian and pioneer trail from Anthony’s Ferry (Henderson, Ky.) on Ohio River to Vincennes. Connected with road to Nashville and there with Natchez Trace. Served Illinois trails, north and west, at Vincennes. — Map (db m99122) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.1995.2 — Samuel Thornton Scott ( 1777 - 1827 )
On Harrison Street north of North 1st Street, on the left when traveling north.
First resident Presbyterian minister in Indiana Territory, 1808. Headed the first school under the authority of the board of trustees of Vincennes University (a grammar school), 1811-1815. Served as member of board of trustees of Vincennes . . . — Map (db m48966) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Sarah Knox Taylor
On Park Street south of Harrison Street, on the left when traveling south.
Two blocks South of this marker on March 6, 1814, was born Sarah Knox Taylor Daughter of Capt. And Mrs. Zachary Taylor Miss Taylor married Lieut. Jefferson Davis at Louisville, Kentucky on June 17, 1835 and died in West Feliciana . . . — Map (db m23263) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Site of Ferry Landing — Abraham Lincoln & Family - - Moves to Illinois —
Near Vigo Street (East Side of Bridge) at Wabash River.
From this place in the year 1830 Abraham Lincoln crossed the Wabash River to Illinois — Map (db m23258) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Site of Fort Sackville
Captured by Col. Geo. Rogers Clark from the British, Feb. 25, 1779. Resulting in the U.S. acquiring the Great Northwest Territory embracing the states of Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. — Map (db m61812) HM WM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Site of House Occupied as Headquarters
On South 1st Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling south on South 1st Street.
Site of house occupied as headquarters of Colonel George Rogers Clark before capturing Fort Sackville from the British February 25, 1779. It was a private house facing the Fort. Later Colonel Henry Hamilton, British Commander of the . . . — Map (db m23304) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — State Bank of Indiana
On North 2nd Street north of Busseron Street, on the left when traveling north.
The second State Bank, chartered in 1834, was a successful and stable venture in uncertain times. John Ewing of Vincennes was a leader in its creation. This branch was built by John Moore by 1838, saved by the Francis Vigo Chapter, DAR, . . . — Map (db m23282) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Synod of Indiana of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A.
On Busseron Street at 5th Street, on the left when traveling east on Busseron Street.
Organized in this vicinity, 1826. — Map (db m61839) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — The Baty Place
On North 2nd Street north of Hart Street, on the right when traveling north.
Built about 1830 by Samuel Judah, distinguished pioneer lawyer who won the famous land grant case for Vincennes University in the U. S. Supreme Court. Occupied from 1848 to 1865 by Dr. John Isidore Baty, builder of the three story addition. . . . — Map (db m23306) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — The First Presbyterian Church In Indiana Territory
On Busseron Street at 5th Street, on the left when traveling east on Busseron Street.
In 1805 Transylvania Presbytery, Kentucky on petition of pioneer settlers in Knox County sent Rev. Thomas Cleland, who thus became the first Presbyterian minister to preach in Vincennes. The service was held at the Council House in the Indian . . . — Map (db m61838) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — The George Rogers Clark Memorial
On Vigo Street (State Road 441) west of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west.
George Rogers Clark and the Frontiersmen of the American Revolution The Conquest of the West [around memorial frieze] The site of Fort Sackville Captured from the British by George Rogers Clark and his Heroic Comrades . . . — Map (db m61808) HM WM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — The Grand Opera House
On North 2nd Street north of Busseron Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built here, 1858 - - operated until 1919. Julia Marlowe made her debut in this famous theater and such great actors as Edwin Booth, Maude Adams, Joseph Jefferson, John Drew, and The Barrymores played to large and appreciative audiences. — Map (db m23283) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — The Old Cathedral “French and Indian” Cemetery
On South 2nd Street at Church Street on South 2nd Street.
1750–1846. Contains the graves (mostly unmarked) of some 4,000 inhabitants of early Vincennes, including soldiers and patriots of the American Revolution who helped Colonel George Rogers Clark to capture nearby Fort Sackville in 1779. The . . . — Map (db m2554) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — U.S.S. Vincennes
On Vigo Street (State Road 441) at 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west on Vigo Street.
Commemorating the patriotism, devotion to duty, valor, energy and seamanship of those Americans who served in the ships U.S.S. Vincennes Each a man-of-war, these ships of the United States Navy carried out missions which expanded . . . — Map (db m61817) HM WM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Vincennes
On Ste Honore Plaza at North 2nd Street on Ste Honore Plaza.
So named in honor of French Canadian, Fracois-Marie Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes (1700–1736). In 1732, he built a fort here to protect the claims of France in the New World. In 1736, Vincennes was burned at the stake by Chickasaw Indians . . . — Map (db m2619) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.2001.1 — Vincennes' Carnegie Library
On North 7th Street at Seminary Street, on the left when traveling north on North 7th Street.
Side One Designed by local architect John B. Bayard in Collegiate Gothic Style; built 1917-1918. Dedicated 1919, with 13, 518 books and 4, 207 registered borrowers, as Vincennes Public Library; Public Library located in City Hall since . . . — Map (db m23254) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Vincennes in the American Revolution
On Ste Honore Plaza at North 1st Street on Ste Honore Plaza.
After taking Kaskaskia on July 5, 1778, George Roges Clark, Acting under Virginia authority, sent Father Pierre Gibault, as his envoy, to Vincennes. Gibault convinced the villagers there to take an oath of loyalty to the Americans. In early August, . . . — Map (db m2551) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Vincennes University
On Harrison Street at Park Street, on the right when traveling north on Harrison Street.
Marker Plaque Vincennes University was founded in 1801 as Jefferson Academy by William Henry Harrison, Governor of the Indiana Territory and Chartered by the Indiana Territorial Legislature in 1806. The columns of this gateway served as the . . . — Map (db m23276) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.2006.1 — William Henry Harrison - & - Lewis & Clark Expedition — Expedition Contact Person —
On Park Street west of Harrison Street, on the right when traveling west.
Side One Harrison became Governor of Indiana Territory 1800; he administered government of District of Louisiana 1804-1805. In Vincennes, he served as a contact during the expedition; surviving records document his support and his . . . — Map (db m23251) HM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement