Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lake County Indiana Historical Markers

 
The Old Lake County Courthouse East Entrance and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., December 29, 2009
The Old Lake County Courthouse East Entrance and Marker
Indiana (Lake County), Crown Point — The Old Lake County Courthouse, 1878
The Old Courthouse has been, since its erection in 1878, a landmark in Lake County, Indiana. Construction of the central portion, including the clock tower, began with 500,000 hand-kilned bricks from the Henry Wise Brickyard in Crown Point, . . . — Map (db m27806) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Crown Point — W.W.II Triangle Memorial
Dedicated by the citizens of Crown Point in memory of all who served their Country that Freedom shall not perish from this Earth — Map (db m43408) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Dyer — 45.1996.1 — The Lincoln Highway / The "Ideal Section"
The Lincoln Highway United States' first transcontinental highway, constructed 1913-1928, from New York City to San Francisco. Dedicated to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. Conceived by Carl G. Fisher to encourage building "good roads." . . . — Map (db m9063) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Gary — 45.2014.1 — Froebel School
Side A Froebel opened here, 1912, as many European immigrants and southern blacks moved to Gary for jobs in steel mills. An experiment in progressive education, it served students of diverse backgrounds and the local community. Despite . . . — Map (db m86967) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Gary — 45.1976.1 — St. John's Lutheran Church — Tolleston
St. John's Church, the oldest surviving institution in Gary and north of the Little Calumet River, began with the work of the Rev. Henry Wunder in the early 1860's. He regularly came from Chicago by horse and buggy. Baptism records date from 1863; . . . — Map (db m64159) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Gary — 45.2014.2 — Stewart Settlement House
Side A Stewart House was organized during depression of 1921 to provide social services for Gary’s black community. A vital neighborhood center for unemployed WWI veterans and southern blacks who migrated for jobs in steel mills, it helped . . . — Map (db m86966) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Highland — 45.1992.1 — Dutch in the Calumet Region
Dutch immigrants after 1850 began moving to this area because of its similarities to their homeland. They helped to locate ditches to drain water from the extensive marshes, leaving rich land to expand successful horticultural activities. — Map (db m64160) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Hobart — Hobart (Indiana) Patriotic Honor Rolls — The Spirit of the American Doughboy
( Top Plaque - Front of Monument ) For God • • •• (- - - - Crest - - - - ) •• • • And Country •• (- - - - - US - - - - -) •• 1917 - 1918 •• (American Legion) •• 1941 - 1945 In loving memory of our War Dead ( Row One ) . . . — Map (db m62592) WM
Indiana (Lake County), Merrillville — 45.1949.1 — First Physician
Henry D. Palmer, M.D. (1809-1877) located at this site in 1836. First physician in Lake County, he was also counselor to the pioneers for 40 years and member of the underground railroad aiding escaped slaves. — Map (db m27716) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Merrillville — 45.1966.1 — Great Sauk (Sac) Trail — (east-west through this point)
. . . — Map (db m27805) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Schererville — 45.1995.1 — St. John Township School District #2
Built, 1853, approximately one half mile south; closed, 1907; moved to this site and restored for educational and community uses, 1993-1994. One of twelve St. John Township schools; structure typical of early one-room school buildings in Indiana. — Map (db m64172) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement