Albion - Noble County Seat
The Center - later named Albion was chosen the Seat of Noble County Indiana by the vote of its citizens in August 1846.
Since that time three courthouses have been located on this square.
The first which . . . — — Map (db m53950) HM
Noble County formed by General Assembly 1836, named after James Noble first US Senator from Indiana. County seats Sparta 1836, Augusta, 1837, Port Mitchell 1844. Center later named Albion selected 1846 as county seat in runoff election. Arrival of . . . — — Map (db m3387) HM
This tablet has been placed here by the Veterans Organizations of Noble County Indiana, to honor the Veterans of past wars, “Who gave their last full measure of devotion”.
May 29, 1988 — — Map (db m53949) HM
Built in 1827 by Federal Government on 36-section reservation for $562; later destroyed by “great wind.” Papakeecha (Flat Belly) was a Miami leader, 1820 to his death in 1837, shortly before the Miami removal. — — Map (db m3385) HM
Here at a fireplace or oven on the east shore of Indian Village Lake those Miamis that had comprised Papakeecha’s Band prepared their last meal before leaving tribal lands c. 1839. — — Map (db m3384) HM
Civil War training camp for the then 10th Congressional District was located at Kendallville. The 12th Indiana Cavalry and the 129th Volunteer Infantry were organized and trained here. — — Map (db m3386) HM
A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources
Installed 2008 Indiana Historical Bureau and City of . . . — — Map (db m68837) HM
Dedicated: September 1889
Last Jewish Service was held in 1954
The Ligonier Historical Society held a ceremony commemorating the 100th anniversary of the dedication of the Jewish temple, and rededicated it as the Ligonier . . . — — Map (db m72842) HM
German Jews immigrated to the U.S. in greater numbers starting in the 1850s. In the 1860s, Ligonier's Jewish residents formed the congregation Ahavath Sholom (Hebrew for "peace loving") and circa 1867, built a small synagogue . . . — — Map (db m76855) HM
Born in Austria. Came to Ligonier in 1917 as a Jewish peddler, selling a variety of used items including car parts. He opened an auto dealership of Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile until 1955 when son Joseph took over the business. — — Map (db m72840) HM
Came to Ligonier as a Jewish peddler in 1854. He became a retailer, buggy manufacturer, a banker and realtor. He was known as a fair and honest man. His buggy factory known as the Ligonier Carriage Co. was in the Essex Wire building that was torn . . . — — Map (db m72838) HM
Born in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. He purchased 80 acres of ground along the river for 75 silver dollars. He platted the town of Ligonier in 1835. The beautiful Seth Thomas clock was donated to the city by John Cavin in memory of his father. — — Map (db m72837) HM
Came to Ligonier as a Jewish peddler in 1854. He became a banker, realtor, retailer, carriage and auto manufacturer. His care was named the Mier Runabout. He established the Banking House of Solomon Mier at 310 S. Cavin Street. — — Map (db m72839) HM
The railroad came to Ligonier in 1858 and was then called the Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad. Later the New York Central purchased the railroad line and a new depot for passenger service was built. The yard surrounding the depot was . . . — — Map (db m72841) HM
In honor of the
Joseph Galloway, Sr.
Revolutionary War Soldier
5th Battalion of Cumberland Co., PA
under Capt. Alexander McCoy
First Lt. James Dickson
In service July 1778
8th . . . — — Map (db m74898) HM
Best-selling author, Stratton-Porter (1863-1924) aimed to inspire appreciation of nature in readers. Lived and worked at Limberlost Cabin, Geneva, then Wildflower Woods, here. Wrote for magazines such as Outing and . . . — — Map (db m68226) HM
Created 1837-1838 as reservoir for proposed canal link between Fort Wayne and Lake Michigan. Part of 1836 internal improvements program. Popular resort area; site of Chautauqua, 1878-1906. Provided hydraulic power. Earthen dam on Elkhart River . . . — — Map (db m44954) HM