Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Steuben County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Beginning in Ice: The Lakes of Pokagon Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, May 31, 2014
Beginning in Ice: The Lakes of Pokagon Marker
Indiana (Steuben County), Angola — Beginning in Ice: The Lakes of Pokagon
Near State Road 727 0.8 miles west of Interstate 69.
You are looking at the lower basin of Lake James. The lake is the third largest natural lake in Indiana (1,140 acres). With the middle and upper basins of Lake James, and Snow Lake, the park has water on three sides. The 120 lakes of Steuben . . . — Map (db m74712) HM
Indiana (Steuben County), Angola — Steuben County Civil War Honor Rolls
On Wayne Street (Old U.S. 27) (County Road 127) at Maumee Street (U.S. 20), on the left on Wayne Street (Old U.S. 27).
( East Side - Memorial ) ( Stone Etching ) In loving memory of the women of 1861 to 1865 whose courage and heroism at home were a no less worthy sacrifice upon the alter of Liberty. ( Bronze Plaque ) Steuben County’s Roll of . . . — Map (db m54113) WM
Indiana (Steuben County), Angola — Steuben County Court House
On South Wayne Street at East Maumee (U.S. 20), on the right when traveling north on South Wayne Street.
Built in 1867 - 1868 on site of original 1841 structure, of material native to Steuben County. Architect: Freeborn Patterson Superintendent of Construction: H. A. Wakefield Construction Contractors: Holmes & Miles (LaPorte) Cost: . . . — Map (db m53930) HM
Indiana (Steuben County), Angola — Welcome to the Potawatomi InnThe Potawatomi Inn has provided the setting for thousands of memories
Near State Road 727 0.8 miles west of Interstate 69.
The Potawatomi Inn opened for business in 1927, two years after Pokagon State Park was established. The Inn had 40 guest rooms, the dining room and the Lonidaw Lounge. A long open porch, since enclosed, faced Lake James. A night at the Potawatomi . . . — Map (db m74713) HM
Indiana (Steuben County), Fremont — 76.1976.1 — Fremont Indiana
On Toledo Street (State Road 120) at Wayne Street (State Road 827) on Toledo Street.
Settled in 1834 as Willow Prairie. Village of Brockville - Platted in 1837. Post Office and town changed to Fremont in 1848 in honor of John C. Fremont “the Great Pathfinder.” Located on the Vistula Trail, the meeting place . . . — Map (db m3406) HM
Indiana (Steuben County), Fremont — 76.2000.1 — Indiana's Northern Boundary Line
On State Road 120 at Fountain Road, on the left when traveling east on State Road 120.
(Front Side) Indiana admitted by the U.S. Congress as nineteenth state 1816. Enabling Act moved northern boundary ten miles north of southernmost tip of Lake Michigan providing direct access to the lake. Boundary first surveyed 1817 by . . . — Map (db m61519) HM
Indiana (Steuben County), Fremont — The Vistula Road
On Toledo St (State Road 120) at N. Ray St, on the left when traveling east on Toledo St.
The pioneers traveling from Chicago to Toledo used this road. It was the oldest path of travel in the Central West - first used by Indians - then French traders, missionaries and the military. Established by an act of Indiana legislature in 1833, . . . — Map (db m62027) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement