Built in 1882 by J.K. Graves for his own convenience; and rebuilt after a fire in 1884. It was then opened as public transport.
Originally operated by steam, then by electricity in 1893, the elevator was incorporated as the Fenelon Place . . . — — Map (db m43133) HM
Built in 1856. Used for making lead shot and bullets. In use commercially for three years. Later used as a watchtower by a lumber company to guard against fire. The interior woodwork and the top were destroyed by fire in 1911. Restored in 1961 by . . . — — Map (db m43129) HM
Historic Dubuque -- the Key City of Iowa -- formed a part of what became French Louisiana when Joliet and Marquette paddled by in 1673. Perrot taught the Miami Indians how to mine lead here in 1690. France ceded Louisiana west of the Mississippi . . . — — Map (db m43634) HM
Oldest log cabin in Dubuque County.
Occupied by the pioneer settler William Newman.
Brought to this site and restored
through the efforts of
Frederick E. Bissell, Sr.
Aided by interested citizens
and members of
the . . . — — Map (db m43131) HM
On this site a Methodist Chapel was constructed in 1834.
As the first church in Iowa, it served not only as a place of worship but as a community center in an early spirit of civic concern, ecumenism and racial integration. At various times . . . — — Map (db m22957) HM
The Shot Tower was constructed in 1856 to manufacture lead shot ammunition. Molten lead was poured from the top of the tower and passed through a series of sieves to form the shot into its proper size. The shot then landed in a tank of cold water . . . — — Map (db m43645) HM