Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Madison County Iowa Historical Markers

 
101 East Jefferson Street and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., February 18, 2014
101 East Jefferson Street and Marker
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 101 East Jefferson c.1914
The Winterset Savings Bank was established in 1902 and moved into this building in 1914. Sam C. Smith's law office was also in this building, and he served as the bank president for a period dating from 1926. This building served as City Hall . . . — Map (db m72518) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 101 North John Wayne Drive c.1870
In the early 1850's this was the site of Winterset's first hotel. Berger's Hotel was a story-and-a-half log cabin that soon became a stagecoach stop. Later known as the Bare Block, this building has had many businesses: several grocery . . . — Map (db m72680) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 102 North 1st Avenue
Before the current building was erected, boots and shoes were sold in a wood frame building on this site. Later, it became a harness shop. This brick building, built by C.D. Bevington, was originally known as the Bevington Block. It initially . . . — Map (db m72773) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 102 West Court Avenue c.1860
This is the sole pre-Civil War commercial building that remains on the square. This building illustrates the art of the stone cutter as practiced in the 1850's and 1860's using native limestone. Originally, this building was a tannery. Hides . . . — Map (db m72771) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 103 North John Wayne Drive c.1876
This is one of the few one-story buildings around the square. Uses of this building include a grocery store, a confectionary, restaurants, including the Club Cafe, a health food and gift shop. For many years there was a bus stop on this end of . . . — Map (db m72676) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 105 North John Wayne Drive c.1875
Businesses in this building have included dry goods, boots and shoes, millinery, appliances, and health foods. At one time the U.S. Department of Agriculture Soil Conservation Service had offices upstairs. A Sears Catalog Store operated . . . — Map (db m72674) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 106 East Jefferson c.1880
Prior to the construction of this brick building Kerr and Boyd operated a grocery store here. They advertised "Staple and Fancy Groceries" as early as 1874. When Mr. Boyd retired, and Kerr's son joined him, the letter "d" in Boyd was painted . . . — Map (db m72519) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 106 North 1st Avenue
In 1886, groceries and boots and shoes were sold in this building. In the 1890's, the first floor was a dry goods store with a printing shop on the second floor. The Graham's Store expanded into this building in 1918. After Graham's closed, the . . . — Map (db m72774) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 107 John Wayne Drive c.1875
In the early 1870s the City Bakery operated here in a wooden structure. This brick building was used by farm implement dealers in the late 1800s. In 1907 it was a grocery/meat market, and motion pictures were shown here in 1916. By the 1930s . . . — Map (db m72671) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 108 North 1st Avenue
From the 1870's through 1890's, groceries were sold on the main floor. In 1874, S.B. Wheelock advertised among other things, oranges, lemons, cigars, parlor brooms, boneless cod fish and candy. That year, Wheelock received a new delivery wagon . . . — Map (db m72775) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 109 John Wayne Drive c.1914
1n 1886 there was a restaurant in the north side of the original building and a harness shop in the south side. A dry goods store in the north side and a jewelry store in the south side occupied the double store building in 1899. The Evening . . . — Map (db m72533) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 110 North First Avenue c.1865
The original use of this building was a bank on the main floor and law offices on the second level. It also housed dry goods and groceries, several bakeries, a women's clothing store, a decorating business, a print shop, a consulting firm, and a . . . — Map (db m72776) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 112 North 1st Avenue circa 1874
T.S. Mardis constructed this building and most of the brick structures facing the square. Dry goods and boots and shoes were sold here in the 1880's. By the 1890's the first floor was a hardware store with a tin shop in the back. For the next 60 . . . — Map (db m72803) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 113 John Wayne Drive c.1870
Uses of this building include a bakery*, a harness shop, a grocery, a pool hall, a Coast to Coast store, and a law office. The double store front was replaced after this building suffered fire damage in 1968. *As with many bakeries of the . . . — Map (db m72532) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 114 North First Avenue c.1865
Over the years, this building has housed several businesses including "furnishing goods," a tailor shop, a piano store, a jewelry store, a bank, and an abstract office. In 1864, the post office was in a wooden structure on this lot. For . . . — Map (db m72804) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 115 John Wayne Drive c.1870
This building's uses have included a boot and shoe shop, a meat market, a second hand furniture store, a dry cleaner, a Coast to Coast store, restaurants, a fitness center, and a quilt supply mail-order business. In 1886 a shoemaker had a . . . — Map (db m72531) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 116 North 1st Avenue c.1897
Clothing stores were operated from this building for over 100 years. Most of the merchants sold only men's clothing except Oliver's which sold women's clothing. Names of the business owners were Hadley, McMillan, Garrett, Rowe, Wright, and . . . — Map (db m72806) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 117 North John Wayne Drive c.1890
Under various owners, this building was used for furniture & undertaking, which was a popular business combination in the late 1800's and early 1900's. In 1963 this became the Iowa State University Extension Service office. On this site circa . . . — Map (db m72530) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 118 North 1st Avenue c.1895
Before the present brick building was built, Atkison & Hutchings Real Estate Agents, the Amazon Refreshment Stand, a market, and a U.S. Express office were tenants in a small wood frame building that stood on this lot. The current building . . . — Map (db m72807) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 119 North John Wayne Drive 1883
Businesses in this building have included: a barber shop, a confectionary, a general store, a meat market, a hardware store, an appliance store, a carpet store, and a bakery. Rows of nails were hammered into the wood floor and used to measure . . . — Map (db m72529) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 120-122 North 1st Avenue c.1875
South building - A pharmacy has been in this brick building since it was built. Lloyd Montross purchased the pharmacy and the building in 1921. His son, George, bought into the business in 1940 and was responsible for the additions to the . . . — Map (db m72808) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 121 John Wayne Drive c.1900
This building was originally one story. It served as a meat market and then the Ideal Restaurant for a few years. Upon completion of the second story, the building became a theater and live vaudeville performances were held on stage. In 1916, . . . — Map (db m72528) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 124 North 1st Avenue c.1880
In 1869, a wood frame building stood on this lot, serving as a book store and the post office. The current brick building has housed a general store, a men's clothing store, and a chiropractic office in the front section of the main floor. From . . . — Map (db m72811) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 51 Jefferson Street circa 1880
In the Civil War days, the county jail stood here. It was a two story log cabin and was entered on the second floor, by an exterior stairway. Two banks occupied the first floor of the current building; Citizens National Bank, and later First . . . — Map (db m72467) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 52 Court Avenue 1868
This building is made of native limestone. Some of the businesses that have been in the building include a hardware and a tin shop, a bank, a travel agency, and an advertising circular. During World War II, the Selective Service office was in . . . — Map (db m72770) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 53 Jefferson Street circa 1880
Grocery stores operated here in the late 1800's. By 1907, a bakery with an oven in the basement had been added, as well as a jewelry store. It later became a hardware store with a tin shop in the rear. A pool hall, a farm and auto parts store, . . . — Map (db m72470) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 54 Court Avenue c.1890
Entrepreneur Edward Jones ran a general store on this property for several years in the mid-1800s. By 1871, he took on a partner, M. R. Tidrick, and then moved on to other ventures. The Tidrick-Terrill Company owned and operated several . . . — Map (db m72758) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 55 Jefferson Street c. 1870
This lot, including the land west to the corner, was purchased for $22 dollars in 1849. From the mid-1880's until the early 1900's, O.D. Ames, then Joeckel Bros. Clothing stores were located in this building. Later, the John Catterlin Harness & . . . — Map (db m72471) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 56 Court Avenue c.1890
This building and the structure to the west were owned and operated by the Tidrick-Terrill Company in the late 1800s. Their furniture store occupied this building for many years. An elevator in the back of the building was shared by the . . . — Map (db m72757) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 57 Jefferson Street
In its early days, this building housed businesses selling jewelry, stationery and then drugs. A Gambels Store conducted business here from the 1930's until 1971 when Alexander Fabrics acquired the building and operated until 1996. It has also . . . — Map (db m72472) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 58 Court Avenue 1889
In 1857 a single story wood frame structure was built on this property. The building was divided into two 12' wide stores, each with its own front door. For 30 years a jewelry business, which also sold organs, clocks, silverware and spectacles, . . . — Map (db m72756) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 59 Jefferson Street circa 1875
Drugs and Jewelry were sold from the wood frame building that originally stood here. The current building housed a succession of shoe stores for more than 100 years. Proprietors were Aikens, Allen, Stevens, and Hendricks. In the early 1900's, . . . — Map (db m72473) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 60 Court Avenue c.1880
Although this building appears to be one storefront, there are actually two separate buildings, and their histories intertwine. C. W. Eastman's Big Store first occupied this double storefront where dry goods were sold. The Knights of Pythias . . . — Map (db m72755) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 61 Jefferson Street circa 1875
Eli Cox, builder of several local covered bridges, had the contract to build this structure. During the construction, gas pipes were incorporated in anticipation of soon having a source for lighting. The Opera House was originally on the second . . . — Map (db m72475) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 63 Jefferson Street c.1875
Local covered bridge builder Eli Cox was the contractor for this building. Businesses have included dry goods, a harness shop, a bootery, a millinery, and an electric shop. The North Side Barber Shop has served Winterset's men since the 1930's. . . . — Map (db m72509) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 64 Court Avenue c.1870
This building housed a general store in 1886, a clothing shop in 1893, and boots and shoes were sold here in 1907. By 1916 it was a grocery store. The Western Auto Store was located here from the 1920s until the early 1960s when, in need of . . . — Map (db m72741) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 65 Jefferson Street c.1875
In the 1800's, agricultural implements were sold here. The Marsh Harvester advertised that "it saves the house-wife the unpleasant drudgery of providing for extra help, during the hottest season of the year" implying that extra farm hands would . . . — Map (db m72510) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 66 Court Avenue c.1870
John Wayne's father, Clyde Morrison, worked for Smith Drug Store in this building around 1905-1910. Earlier records indicate the building housed a harness shop, a hardware store and a tin shop as well. In 1916, a jewelry store occupied this . . . — Map (db m72740) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 67 Jefferson Street c.1880
In 1874, in a wood frame building on this lot, Ho Cheung, a Chinese immigrant, ran A.R. Shong & Co., importers and dealers of tea and coffee. They also manufactured cigars and sold tobacco. The City Bakery was here in 1875. From 1885 through the . . . — Map (db m72511) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 68 Court Avenue c.1870
This building was a hardware store in 1886. In the early 1900s H. N. Shaw moved his dry goods store from the west side of the square to this site. From 1931 to 1997 the J. C. Penney department store was in business here. An advertisement that . . . — Map (db m72738) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 69 Jefferson
. . . — Map (db m72515) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 70, 72, 74 Court Avenue c.1870
This building is constructed of locally made soft bricks and originally housed three separate businesses. The east section was home to a variety of grocery stores, a jewelry store, a Skelgas appliance store, and a plumbing and heating business. . . . — Map (db m72730) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 71 Jefferson
This middle section of the building has been occupied by a bakery, drug stores, a pool hall, a dry cleaner, an engineering firm, and restaurants, including the Black and White Restaurant and the China Cafe. In earlier years, the second floor . . . — Map (db m72516) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 73 Jefferson c.1870
In 1864 this was the site of Irish immigrant Andrew Crawford's wood-frame grocery store. This building was erected with one main facade for three stores. Notice the matching second-story windows. Some of the businesses housed in the east . . . — Map (db m72517) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Birthplace of John Wayne Marion Robert Morrison Born May 26, 1907
Birthplace of John Wayne Marion Robert Morrison Born May 26, 1907 — Map (db m72406) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Carnegie Building
Built in 1903 and used as the Public Library from 1905 to 2001 Renovated in 2002 and reopened as City Hall in 2003 In Memoriam Dr. Charles D. Bevington Born January 13, 1826 Died November 13, 1903 Resident of Winterset since 1853 . . . — Map (db m72688) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Cedar Covered Bridge
Original Built: 1883 By: H.P. Jones Replica Built: 2004 By: Herberger Construction Company Type: Covered Timber Town Lattice Truss Overlaid by a Queenpost Frame Size: 130 feet (66 ft truss with an 42.5 ft approach to the south and a . . . — Map (db m78220) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Cutler - Donahoe Covered Bridge - 1870
Designed and built by Eli Cox. Length: 79 feet Weight: 40 ton. Covered timber superstructure, towne lattice truss with overlay queenpost frame, fastened with round wooden pins and iron bolts. Originally located 18 miles N.E. of . . . — Map (db m23170) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Hogback Covered Bridge
Built: 1884 By: Benton Jones Type: Covered Timber Town Lattice Truss overlaid by a Queenpost Frame Size: 160 feet (98 ft truss with two 62 ft approaches) x 15 feet wide Jones was responsible for the last all-timber truss built in . . . — Map (db m72410) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Middle River Water Trail Holliwell Covered Bridge (eventually to Bevington)
[Historical excerpts from marker] The Middle River has its origin in south-central Guthrie County. However, the navigable section of Middle River begins in east-central Adair County near Middle River Forest County Park. Middle River is a . . . — Map (db m72408) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Middle River Water Trail Roseman Covered Bridge to Pammel Park
[Historical excerpts from marker] The Middle River has its origin in south-central Guthrie County. However, the navigable section of Middle River begins in east-central Adair County near Middle River Forest County Park. Middle River is a . . . — Map (db m72439) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — North River Schoolhouse Built 1874
Restored by Madison County Historical Society, Inc. 1962 - 1973 Placed on National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Dept. of Interior April 22, 1977 — Map (db m72411) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Roseman Covered Bridge
Built: 1883 By: Benton Jones & G.K. Foster Type: Covered Timber Town Lattice Truss overlaid by a Queenpost Frame Size: 225 feet (104 ft truss with an 88 ft approach to the south and a 33 ft approach to the north) x 15.4 feet wide . . . — Map (db m72438) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — The Delicious Apple
To commemorate the discovery in Madison County, Iowa of a variety of apple by Jesse Hiatt A.D. 1872 and called by him The Hawkeye Sole right to propagate acquired by C.M. Stark A.D. 1894 and by him . . . — Map (db m78219) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Winterset Civil War Memorial
The grateful public dedicate this marble column to the Patriotic Dead who fell during the Great Rebellion this monument is gratefully erected to the soldiers of Madison County who gave their lives for their . . . — Map (db m23107) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Winterset Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the following men who gave the supreme sacrifice in the defence of their country World War II Dale E. Bell Harold Bloomquist Edward Briggie Edward Butcher Ross Chickering George Clark Scott . . . — Map (db m23148) WM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — Winterset World War I Memorial
[Main Memorial:] Erected by the people of Madison County, Iowa, as a grateful tribute to the memory of its soldiers and sailors. [Red Granite Cemetery Assocation marker]: This plot of ground was donated by the Cemetery . . . — Map (db m23157) HM

57 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement