On Fowler Avenue (U.S. 160) at Main Street, on the left when traveling east on Fowler Avenue.
[Barber County Veteran Tiles]
Twin Towers Beam
This steel beam is from the Twin Towers that were destroyed by foreign terrorists on 9-11-01. New York City has donated it to the Barber County Veterans Memorial in remembrance of the lives . . . — — Map (db m65211) WM
On U.S. 160 0.6 miles west of Bitter Creek Road, on the right when traveling west.
[Kiosk highlights sights
along the Byway]
[Historical section follows]
The Red Hills are unique to Kansas
Their distinctive color comes from
iron in the soil that "rusts"
Formed 100 million years ago from
red . . . — — Map (db m65212) HM
On U.S. 160 at the entrance to Memorial Peace Park, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 160.
At Medicine Lodge Creek in 1867, as many as 15,000 Apaches, Kiowas, Comanches, Arapahos, and Cheyennes gathered with a seven-member peace commission escorted by U.S. soldiers to conduct one of the nationís largest peace councils. The American . . . — — Map (db m65195) HM
On Washington Avenue east of Main Street, on the left when traveling east.
In 1874, during a period of Indian Raids in Western and Southern Kansas, the Governor, Thomas A. Osborne, organized the Kansas State Guards. Sun City and Medicine Lodge furnished the companies for this section of the state. The Stockade was . . . — — Map (db m65193) HM
On Main Street at Kansas Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
The Merchants' and Drovers' Bank was the first bank in Medicine Lodge, established in October, 1880, by H.M. Hickman from Wellington. It closed on January 10, 1882. Two days later the Medicine Valley Bank was formed with Wylie Payne, President; . . . — — Map (db m65130) HM
On Main Street at Washington Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
In January, 1884, Medicine Lodge citizens organized a stock company to build a first class hotel. Standiford Youmans & Co., a local business, donated the three lots at the corner of Main Street and Washington Avenue. The bricks for the structure . . . — — Map (db m65192) HM