Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Butler County Kansas Historical Markers

 
1991 Tornado Victims Memorial image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., September 23, 2014
1991 Tornado Victims Memorial
Kansas (Butler County), Andover — 1991 Tornado Victims
On Andover Road at 1st Street, on the right when traveling north on Andover Road.
Dedicated to the memory of those who lost their lives in the tornado of April 26, 1991, and those who volunteered their services in the reconstruction effort ————————— Gladys . . . — Map (db m79200) HM
Kansas (Butler County), Augusta — C.N. James Trading Post Built in 1868 Oldest House in Augusta —
On State Street south of 4th Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
This log cabin housed the store of C.N. James, Post Office, Masonic Lodge, Baptist and Methodist Services and Public School taught by L.N. Blood. Restored 1941-1967-1993 by Augusta Historical Society — Map (db m79202) HM
Kansas (Butler County), Beaumont — 1885 Frisco Water Tower
On SE 116th Terrace at SE Main Street, on the left when traveling west on SE 116th Terrace.
The 1885 Frisco Wooden Water Tower was built to service the steam locomotives, supply water for feeding stationary boilers, washing cars, and floors, cleaning out boilers, cooling ashes, fire protection, and similar purposes, at shops, engine . . . — Map (db m60686) HM
Kansas (Butler County), Beaumont — Beaumont Becomes a Railroad Town Beaumont Historical Marker
On SE 116th Terrace at SE Main Street, on the left when traveling west on SE 116th Terrace.
In 1879, Beaumont was established as a railroad town. It became one of the most important shipping points in the Flint Hills. Beaumont sat atop the divide that separated Otter Creek and Little Walnut Creek. Westbound trains from Piedmont had . . . — Map (db m60684) HM
Kansas (Butler County), Beaumont — Livestock in the Flint Hills Beaumont Historical Marker
On SE 116th Terrace south of SE Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Flint Hills of Kansas are the last remnant of the great Tallgrass Prairie that once stretched from Texas to the Great Lakes. The calcium rich soil of the Flint Hills is renowned for its capacity to quickly fatten cattle in the spring. . . . — Map (db m60721) HM
Kansas (Butler County), Beaumont — The Beaumont Grass Landing Strip Beaumont Historical Marker
On SE Main Street at SE 116th Terrace, on the left when traveling south on SE Main Street.
Local lore has it that in 1948 a Wichita businessman wanted to fly into Beaumont to check on his cattle. He asked the hotel if they would block the road for his landing. Since having a plane land in Beaumont was exciting, the residents agreed. . . . — Map (db m60717) HM
Kansas (Butler County), Beaumont — The Frisco Ponds Beaumont Historical Marker
These Frisco Ponds were developed in 1885 along with the now historic wooden water tower. The water was used to fuel the steam locomotives traveling west bound on the Frisco Line that had used all their water pulling the steep grade from . . . — Map (db m60735) HM
Kansas (Butler County), Beaumont — The Historic Beaumont Hotel / The Beaumont Hotel Restoration Beaumont Historical Marker
On SE Main Street north of SE 116th Terrace, on the right when traveling south.
The Historic Beaumont Hotel (Side A) The Historic Beaumont Hotel was built in 1879 by Edwin Russell. In 1885 the hotel was purchased by the Durham Cattle Company; in 1895 Durham sold the hotel to Reed Church. In 1910, when Charles Church . . . — Map (db m60623) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Alfred Washington Ellet Oct. 11, 1820 - Jan. 9, 1895 Dedicated to the memory of —
Brig. Gen. - U.S. Volunteers Commander [Mississippi] Marine Brigade Capt. 59th Ill. Inf. Aug. 20, 1861 Lieut. Col. U.S. Volunteers Apr. 28, 1862 Brig. Gen. Nov. 1, 1862 This marker erected in 1979 at the request of his grandson, the . . . — Map (db m56037) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Cable Tool Drilling Rig
This is the type of rig used in the 19 teens and into the 1930's during the oil boom in Kansas. Three main sections make up the early rigs: the boiler which was the energy source to power the steam engine that ran the rig; the derrick which was . . . — Map (db m56040) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Celebration of Freedom Memorial
On Central Avenue near Gordy Street, on the left when traveling west.
To Honor Those Who Serve Liberty For All [Representative Memorials] In honor of George F. Austin for service in the Navy aboard USS Estes AGC 12 Flag Ship supporting the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa witnessing the flag . . . — Map (db m56220) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Flare
From the former Midland Refinery. Used to burn off gasses as gasoline and propane were transferred from the refinery into the railroad tank cars. ca. 1920's Donated by: Frontier Refinery — Map (db m56165) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Grandma Anderson's House
This house was built in 1918 at 800½ South Main Street, El Dorado, Kansas, (Gordon's Addition, Lot 5, Block 4) in direct response to the oil boom and the massive amounts of people moving to the area looking for housing. Originally the home was . . . — Map (db m56166) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Kansas Oil Museum
George W. Brown drilled Kansas' first oil well in 1860. Since that time, Kansas oilmen have tested their courage, their fortunes, and their luck in the search for oil in all parts of the state. The Kansas Oil Museum is dedicated to the men and . . . — Map (db m56039) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Missouri Pacific Depot Veterans Memorial
On Main Street (U.S. 77) at 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Honoring those who passed through this depot answering their call to duty during WWII — Map (db m56390) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Model K Star Spudder
This is a Model K Star Drilling Machine, also called a "spudder". Drilling machines such as this one were used for two purposes: 1. To drill the initial hole for a rotary-drilled well. 2. To drill a complete oil well at shallow depth . . . — Map (db m56125) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Mrs. Addie Cowley Bradley
In honor of Mrs. Addie Cowley Bradley who was the first white girl born in Eldorado Township; the first in Butler County; the first in the Fifth District of Kansas. Born May 4, 1858. Died Feb. 27, 1932. Boulder furnished by . . . — Map (db m56038) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Oil Field Boom Towns
Oil field towns such as Oil Hill and Midian were built and maintained by oil companies such as Cities Service. These towns were fast growing and held an excitment in the early years when people moved in at all hours of the day and night. Life here . . . — Map (db m56168) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Oil Field Lease House
Once the oil boom began in 1915, men and their families flooded the El Dorado area to find work in the oil fields. Small 2 to 5 room houses were built by the oil companies on land that was leased - thus the lease house or company house. By living . . . — Map (db m56092) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Pole Trailer
Manufactured by the Spencer Trailer Company in Augusta, Kansas. This was used to haul tubing (the narrow pipe located on the trailer) or casing (wider pipe). Tubing and casing is the various pipe that is used inside the hole. Donated by: Harvey . . . — Map (db m56127) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
On Central Avenue (State Highway 254) at Star Street, on the left when traveling west on Central Avenue.
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this replica of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty . . . — Map (db m56179) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Signers of the Declaration of Independence
On Central Avenue (State Highway 254) near Gordy Street, on the left when traveling west.
Our Freedom Began When in 1776 These Courageous Men Signed The Declaration of Independence Father of Our County George Washington The Voice of Freedom Patrick Henry The Pen of Freedom George Mason [Signers of the . . . — Map (db m56184) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Star Drilling Machine
This machine was probably manufacturing [sic] in Chanute, Kansas in the late 1920's. It had been used in Eastern Kansas from the 1920's through the 1950's. This machine was highly portable when completely assembled and moved easily by horses and a . . . — Map (db m56128) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Steel Oil Derrick / 1930's Cable-Tool Drilling Rig
This derrick is one of the last wood and steel oil derricks which once dotted the Butler County countryside. It was built in the mid-1940's and is 100 feet high. Donated by: Larry Crawford Donors: Joe Degan Pipe & Supply, Albert Hogoboom, . . . — Map (db m56088) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — The Central Power Unit
Central power units were used to pump oil wells in the early days of the Kansas oilfields. One central power could pump as many as eighteen different wells, some up to half a mile away. In the 1950s producers began to replace central powers with . . . — Map (db m56130) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — The Gypsy Spudder
This Cable Tool Drilling Machine, Serial No. 5, was manufactured in Chanute, Kansas by Sutcliffe Pipe & Supply, Joe H. Sutcliffe, owner. Built in early 1949, this is the only known remaining machine. "The Gypsy" was found on a farm east of . . . — Map (db m56133) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Tool Rack
Rack contains various cable tool bits such as fishing tools, jars, rope sockets and elevators. These pieces were used with the adjoining cable tool rig. Many of these pieces of equipment were stored at yards and tool houses. — Map (db m56090) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Union Tank Car
This railroad tank car has a capacity of 9913 gallons and was built in April of 1929. Used to haul raw crude oil to the refinery. Donated by: Union Tank Car Company — Map (db m56163) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — Veterans Memorial Flagpole
On Central Avenue (State Highway 254) near Gordy Street, on the left when traveling west.
This staff dedicated to the Veterans of all United States wars who valorously defended the flag it bears Stars & Stripes waving here perpetually provided by Fred Priestley Post 1174 Veterans of Foreign Wars Constructed May 1953 . . . — Map (db m56182) WM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — William Allen White
On Main Street (U.S. 54) at Vine Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Dedicated to the memory of William Allen White Boyhood resident of El Dorado who became Kansas' foremost editor On his one hundredth birthday anniversary February 10, 1968 — Map (db m40003) HM
Kansas (Butler County), Towanda — 119 — Towanda Land of Many Waters
On Interstate 35 at milepost 65.
The town and township lie tucked in the pleasant valley of the Whitewater River, and take their name from the Osage Indian term "many waters." First settler was C.L. Chandler, a returning '49er from the California gold fields who built his cabin in . . . — Map (db m104028) HM

31 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement