Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Franklin County Kansas Historical Markers

 
1951 Marais des Cygnes Flood High-Water Line Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 16, 2013
1951 Marais des Cygnes Flood High-Water Line Marker
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — 1951 Marais des Cygnes Flood High-Water Line
Marais des Cygnes River Flood Crest of July 11-12, 1951 High-Water Line Surveyed by the U.S. Geologic Survey — Map (db m67732) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Civil War Memorial 1861 - Civil War - 1865
The Flag Our Fathers Saved ———— Dedicated May 12 - 1937 to our fathers — Map (db m67725) WM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Company K, 20th Regiment Kansas Volunteers

In honor of Company K 20th Reg't Kan. Vol. in appreciation of their Gallantry and Patriotism in the Philippine Islands 1898 - 1899 ———————— This gateway was erected by . . . — Map (db m95142) WM

Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Dietrich Cabin, 1859 Historic Ottawa Tour Stop 8
Dietrich Cabin In 1854 two German brothers, Jacob and John Dietrich, arrived in America after a fifty-three day voyage by sailing ship. They settled first in Connecticut and were joined the following year by their sister Elizabeth and . . . — Map (db m67720) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Franklin County Courthouse Historic Ottawa Tour Stop 5
This is the oldest surviving courthouse designed by George P Washburn of Ottawa. Before coming to town, Washburn had worked for the Kansas City architectural firm of Cross and Taylor where he supervised construction of Union railroad depots . . . — Map (db m67586) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Main Street, 200 Block South Historic Ottawa Tour Stop 4
The panoramic photo reproduced here was taken by J.C. Bandholtz in 1909. Panoramas were the rage at that time. The view takes in the 100 block south on the left and the 200 block south on the right. The east side of the 200 block was placed . . . — Map (db m67477) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Main Street, 400 Block South Historic Ottawa Tour Stop 6
Location, location, location The Baptists built a stone church on the east side of the 400 block in 1867. The photo above shows it as well as a "tabernacle" tent erected for a Kansas Baptist Convention in 1869. By the 1890s, the Baptists . . . — Map (db m67615) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Main Street, 500 Block South and City Park Historic Ottawa Tour Stop 7
The Schools at 5th and Main: Ottawa's first school house was built at 3rd and Walnut where a city parking lot now stands. It suffered a tornado and an earthquake, and cracks appeared in the brick walls. Besides those problems, the population . . . — Map (db m67628) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Marais de Cygnes River Historic Ottawa Tour Stop 2
"The Marsh of the Swans" is the meaning of the river's French name. In 1828, Baptist missionary Isaac McCoy brought a group of Indians on a journey to examine this area as a possible relocation site for eastern and Great Lakes tribes. McCoy . . . — Map (db m67727) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Old Depot Museum
This building, constructed in 1888, served as Division headquarters of the Southern Kansas Railway. This was a subsidiary and later became a part of the Santa Fe system. When the Santa Fe moved into a new station, the old stone depot which had . . . — Map (db m46884) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Old Depot Museum Historic Ottawa Tour Stop 1
The Leavenworth, Lawrence & Galveston was the first railroad built south of the transcontinental Union Pacific which passed through Lawrence. Building the 30 miles of track to Ottawa in 1867-8 was difficult. Veterans of the UP construction, . . . — Map (db m50753) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Ottawa Carnegie Library 1903
This two story Neo-Classical building was built with Andrew Carnegie's grant of $15,000 and was matched by the City with a site and a commitment to devote 10% of the amount of the gift annually for maintenance. The colossal order Ionic columns, . . . — Map (db m67480) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Pickrell Building 1885
Built by William T. Pickrell, this building was originally used to sell agricultural implements. Other early businesses at this address included a millinery, barber shop, photography studio, billiard hall, restaurant, confectionary, jeweler and . . . — Map (db m50754) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — Shepherd & McQuesten Building 1870
This building was built by L. W. Shepherd & B. C. McQuesten as a bank. It was the first location of Peoples National Bank, which bought the property in 1872 and then relocated to 137 S. Main around a decade later. Originally, it had arched window . . . — Map (db m59072) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — The Down Town Ottawa Historic District
Is a block of commercial structures built between 1872 and 1900 of late Victorian styling with Renaissance, Eclectic and some Classical features. The buildings are individualistic but have the same underlying style and character. Their uniqueness . . . — Map (db m46885) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Ottawa — The Franklin County Courthouse
constructed in 1893, was designed by Geo. P. Washburn (Ottawa) one of the state's most prominent early architects. He designed fifteen courthouses in three states. This courthouse, because of its architectural excellence and being the best-kept . . . — Map (db m54574) HM
Kansas (Franklin County), Princeton — Civil War Memorial Loyalty and Patriotism
In memory of our soldiers who fought in the Great Rebellion of 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m67554) WM
Kansas (Franklin County), Wellsville — Wellsville's First Brick Building 1885
[Title is marker text] — Map (db m63700) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement