For whom Graceland Cemetery is named
Geo. W. (Hoo-Doo) and Sarah E. Brown
Grace Brown, her brother Parley and an aunt died of scarlet fever in early 1887 and were buried on the . . . — — Map (db m65635) HM
Formerly known as "Brown's Burying Ground" was purchased from George W. "Hoodoo" and Sarah E. Brown, March 23, 1887, for the sum of $,2000.00. The Browns asked that the name be changed to "Graceland" in memory of a small daughter who had . . . — — Map (db m65616) HM
In 1879, George W. (Hoodoo) Brown built a Road Ranch on the Jones and Plummer Trail at a place called "The Wells" on Crooked Creek just east of the present-day site of Meade. He built a sod house for his store and another for his family, as well . . . — — Map (db m65544) HM
The original Meade County Courthouse was built in 1888. Although the building was replaced in 1928, this old stone step and "1888" year carved in stone still mark where it stood. — — Map (db m65520) HM
"To our pioneer club women and to our pioneer citizens, who builded better than they knew, we dedicate this marker which stands on the site of the old court-house, from which the dated stone was taken."
May 1941 — — Map (db m65521) HM
During the first half of the 19th century the U.S. government, in response to public pressure for land and resources, began a program of concentrating Indian tribes on reservations. After the Civil War, an ever growing number of settlers made it . . . — — Map (db m55276) HM
This memorial is dedicated to the men and women of Meade County who entered the Armed Services of our country while residents of Meade County.
Meade County Honor Roll . . . — — Map (db m65525) WM
In Sacred Memory
This monument was erected by the American Legion Auxiliary of Meade, Kansas, assisted by ex-service men and patriotic citizens, and on May 30, 1927 dedicated to the memory of Meade County's Departed . . . — — Map (db m65636) HM WM