Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Morris County Kansas Historical Markers

 
A Well-furnished Store Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., February 19, 2011
A Well-furnished Store Marker
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — A Well-furnished Store
"Those who have occassion to stop at Council Grove, on the Santa Fe Road, will do well to 'put up' with Charles A. Gilkey [Hays' hotel clerk]...[?] host of the Hayes House. [They]...cannot but help feeling quite at home. - Kansas Press, . . . — Map (db m45123) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Atkinson Log House 1858
This building houses a two-story log house originally built on Clark's Creek near a large spring, west of Latimer, in western Morris County. The log house was built by Stephen Atkinson, his father Cornelius, and his brother James. They were the . . . — Map (db m45406) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Baker's Food Market 1947
This masonry building was constructed as a grocery store in 1947. The Baker family had grocery stores in the area for 127 years, from 1854 to 1981. — Map (db m45422) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Brewery 1864 Philomathian Heritage Plaque
This stone building was erected in 1864 by Frederick X. Hebrank. The basement housed a brewery which utilized a large well in the southwest corner. Family living quarters were on the first floor and the porch and second story were added at a later . . . — Map (db m44957) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Bur Oak Quercus macrocarpa Sprout Date 1776
This hardwood tree was part of the original grove that provided shelter, and wood for wagon repairs for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail. The grove was a continuous strip of timber near one mile in width with a rich variety of trees. The town of . . . — Map (db m44824) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Bur Oak Quercus macrocarpa Sprout Date 1694
This hardwood tree was part of the original grove that provided shelter, and wood for wagon repairs for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail. The grove was a continuous strip of timber near one mile in width with a rich variety of trees. The town of . . . — Map (db m44964) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Bur Oak Quercus macrocarpa Sprout Date 1749
This hardwood tree was part of the original grove that provided shelter, and wood for wagon repairs for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail. The grove was a continuous strip of timber near one mile in width with a rich variety of trees. The town of . . . — Map (db m44966) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Company "C" 137th Infantry 35th "Santa Fe Trail" Division
Erected in honor of the soldiers who served with Company "C" 137th Infantry, World War II Mobilized December 23, 1940 in Council Grove with men from Morris and adjacent counties. Soon expanded to include men from throughout Kansas and every . . . — Map (db m44988) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Conn Store "He fears no competition."
"In his stock were found every known variety of goods for use on the frontier, from ox yokes and repairs to cambric needles, from small boxes of pills to barrels of whiskey." - Conn Store Clerk William Shamleffer For traders on the Santa Fe . . . — Map (db m45088) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — 21 — Council Grove
In 1825 growing traffic over the Santa Fe trail brought a government survey and right-of-way treaties with certain Indians. Council Grove takes its name from an agreement made here that year with the Osage nation. Indians farther west continued . . . — Map (db m44940) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Council Grove
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m44979) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Council Grove Flint Hills Scenic Byway
Council Grove has been a meeting place for Native Americans, explorers, soldiers and Santa Fe Trail traders. The name "Council Grove" came from treaty negotiations that were conducted here in 1825 between Osage chiefs and U.S. commissioners to . . . — Map (db m45465) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Council Grove National Bank Building 1887 Philomathian Heritage Plaque
The Council Grove National Bank began August 23, 1878, as the Morris County State Bank of Kansas. It became a national bank in 1900. An 1886 fire destroyed the bank, then located between the Hays House and this building. Constructed in 1887 at a . . . — Map (db m45092) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Council Oak August 10, 1825
Under this tree the treaty between the U.S. Commissioners and the Osage Indians was signed giving the right of way forever through their land establishing the Santa Fe Trail — Map (db m44971) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Council Oak
The hunting grounds of the Kaw (Kansa) and Osage Indians were located here when Americans and Mexicans began hauling trade goods over the Santa Fe Trail in 1821. In 1825, in response to traders and merchants who eagerly sought trade with . . . — Map (db m44981) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Council Oak Acorn Arbor Day 1931
Acorn from Council Oak — Map (db m45454) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Custer Elm 1867
General George A. Custer and an element of the 7th Cavalry camped beneath this tree in 1867. The south portion of this park is part of a 120-acre farm bought by General Custer and Amos Kimball in 1869. — Map (db m44823) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Custer Elm
This picture of Custer Elm was taken in 1928 and at that time the tree was estimated to be 300 years old. Dutch elm disease caused it to die in the early 1970's. General George Armstrong Custer and his 7th Calvary [sic] regiment camped beneath . . . — Map (db m44938) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Farmers & Drovers Bank 1893 Philomathian Heritage Plaque
Constructed by F. Roussillet, contractor, this building is an electic [sic] style two story brick with limestone Romanesque arches over half round stained glass windows, marble columns and a Bysantine [sic] dome. The adjacent business building was . . . — Map (db m45090) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Father Juan Padilla Monument
In 1542, Fr. Juan Padilla, a Franciscan Friar, (the First American Martyr), accompanied Coranado [sic] on his expedition from Mexico some 50 years after Christopher Columbus landed in the USA [sic] and 78 years before our pilgrim fathers landed on . . . — Map (db m44939) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Field School District 54 1902
The Field schoolhouse was originally located 8 miles South of Council Grove, and was moved to this site in 1999. It remains virtually unchanged since 1902, except for the enclosure of a portion of the porch in 1939. The school closed after the . . . — Map (db m45403) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — First Santa Fe Pack Train 1821 - 1921
In commemoration of the home coming to Council Grove June 27 - July 2 celebrating the one hundredth anniversary of the first pack train to pass over the Santa Fe Trail, led by Wm. Becknell — Map (db m45078) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Greenwood Cemetery Wall 1871 Philomathian Heritage Plaque
The wall was built primarily because of the controversy between Council Grove and Parkerville and their fight to secure the permanent location for the county seat. Jobs were created by both towns and workers were imported to swell the number of . . . — Map (db m45451) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Guardian of the Grove Created by Thomas Mark Sampsel
This Kanza warrior stands as a tribute to the tribe for whom the State of Kansas is named. Also known as the Kaws, the Kanzas occupied a reservation in this area from 1848 to 1873. Today's tribal government, the Kaw Nation, is headquartered in Kaw . . . — Map (db m44825) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Hays House 1857 Philomathian Heritage Plaque
Built in 1857 by Seth Hays on the site of the first permanent building (1848) in Council Grove. The original log cabin was also known as the Hays House. Used continuously as a restaurant, this building was also used for church services, court . . . — Map (db m45133) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Hermit's Cave 1863
Father Francisco, Hermit Priest of the Santa Fe Trail, lived in this cave for 5 months. — Map (db m45148) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Hermit's Cave
"He appears rather an intelligent man, speaks nine different languages. He has lived a Hermit some thirty five years... Last winter he lived five months in a hollow tree near Westport, Mo. He refuses to eat bread or meat; his food consists of corn . . . — Map (db m45206) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Kaw House Reconstructed
In 1861 the U.S. government constructed 138 of these stone houses for the Kaw Indians. Contractor Robert S. Stevens built the huts at a total cost of $33,135.98. The houses were situated on the diminished Kaw Reservation in or near the Neosho . . . — Map (db m45049) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Kaw Mission A School for the Kaws
"Great father, you white people treat us like a flock of turkeys. You chase us from one steam and then chase us to another stream and then to another stream. Soon you will chase us over the mountains and into the ocean - Al-le-ga-wa-ho, . . . — Map (db m45053) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Last Chance Store
"Last chance for beans, bacon and whiskey." During the 1857 trading season, this building housed a store on the edge of Council Grove. Here was the last opportunity for the trader bound for Santa Fe to purchase supplies before venturing into the . . . — Map (db m45396) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Last Chance Store 1857
Built by Tom Hill. The last chance for supplies between Council Grove and Santa Fe, New Mexico. — Map (db m45397) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Madonna of the Trail
N.S.D.A.R. Memorial
to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days The National Old Trails Road Here East met West when the Old Santa Fe Trail was established August 10, 1825 at a council between the United . . . — Map (db m44822) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Malcolm Conn Store 1858 Philomathian Heritage Plaque
Built by Malcolm Conn for mercantile business, it was the second pioneer business erected in the present business district. First known as "Stone Store", later as "Pioneer Store." Travelers traveling the Santa Fe Trail were welcome to sleep . . . — Map (db m45144) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Maple Camp 1927
The stone house was partially converted to a gas station in 1927 and the grounds were used for tourist camp sites. In 1929 and 1930 tourist cabins were erected. The property was shaded by large maple trees. Thus, this area acquired the name Maple . . . — Map (db m45448) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Maple Camp Tourist Cabin 1929
This is the site of the first tourist cabin built in Maple Camp. It was a wood-frame, stucco duplex, and was later converted into a single-family dwelling. It was razed in 1986. The cabins of Maple Camp became the first homes of many young married . . . — Map (db m45398) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Maple Camp Tourist Cabin 1930
Built for tourists, this cabin was originally two small, tile-block, stucco cabins. They were joined together with a wood-frame addition about 1944. — Map (db m45400) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Maple Camp W.W. II Cabin 1943
This is one of four cabins built during World War II to house personnel serving at Herington Army Air Field, near Delavan. After the War it became a tourist cabin. Originally a duplex, it was later converted into a single-family dwelling. The last . . . — Map (db m45401) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Masonic Lodge Hall 1883 Philomathian Heritage Plaque
The Council Grove Lodge and Accepted Masons of Council Grove erected this two-story building of brick made in the local kiln. It was dedicated June 24, 1884. In 1910 an agreement was made with T. W. Whiting to build an addition with the upper . . . — Map (db m45136) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Mill Stone
Used in Sander's Flour Mill which began operation in Council Grove in 1874. Gift of J.L. Sanders, Jr. 1964 — Map (db m45052) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Morris County 4-H Fairgrounds Circle of History
1821 The Santa Fe Trail is first used by travelers throughout this area. 1827 Big John Spring, now buried beneath the highway berm 100 ft. south, is discovered and named by George Sibley survey party. 1844 John C. Fremont's party, . . . — Map (db m44996) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Neosho Crossing
"The creek bank, which is short and steep, made of some little detention in the crossing of the wagons, they had to double teams several times. It is amusing here to hear the shouting of the wagoners to their animals, whooping and hallowing; the . . . — Map (db m44941) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Old Bell 1863
Used to warn the settlers of Indian raids — Map (db m45147) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Pioneer Cowboy Jail City Calaboose Since 1849
"Only jail in early days on the Santa Fe Trail. Within its walls desperados, border ruffians, and robbers were held. During the Indian Raid of 1859 two Indians were taken out and hanged by a mob. A bad man, Jack McDowell, was hanged from the Neosho . . . — Map (db m44992) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Post Office Oak
From 1825 to 1847 a cache at the foot of this tree served as a post office for incoming and outgoing wagon trains — Map (db m44951) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Post Office Oak
The stump before you is all that is left of a grand old oak tree that was about 270 years old when it died in 1990. The tree, which once stood 80 feet high, was located in the campground used by Santa Fe Trail travelers. It is said to have been . . . — Map (db m44960) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Rendezvous on the Trail
This was once a place of early morning racket, dust, and confusion, as wagons bound for Santa Fe rattled and jockeyed for position to form a train. Wagonmasters shouted, "Catch up!" to the teamsters - then "Stretch out!" as the wagons began to . . . — Map (db m44942) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Santa Fe Trail 1822 - 1872
. . . — Map (db m57178) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Santa Fe Trail / Council Grove 1822 - 1872
Santa Fe Trail Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Kansas Council Grove On this spot August 10, 1825 the treaty was made with the Osage Indians for the right of way of the Santa Fe . . . — Map (db m44967) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Seth Hays Home
Seth M. Hays was a shrewd, colorful, and successful trader, rancher, tavern owner, and publisher. He built this house in 1867; it was elaborate for Council Grove at that time. Though he was a life-long bachelor, Hays adopted five-year-old Kittie . . . — Map (db m45142) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Seth Hays Home 1867
Built by Seth Hays [b. 1811]. The first white settler in Council Grove. He lived here with his adopted daughter Kitty & his slave Sally until his death in 1873. — Map (db m45143) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Sylvan Park Depot 1900
Built on the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad right-of-way by T.W. Whiting for the convenience of his wife Allie and visitors to the Sylvan Park Ranch in northwest Morris County. This is the last known privately owned railway station and was loaned . . . — Map (db m44993) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Terwilliger Home / Trail Days House 1861 On the way to Santa Fe
With its foundation in Kansas Territory, this house was established here, along the Santa Fe Trail as Kansas became the thirty fourth state. History Comes Alive Here! — Map (db m45450) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — The Cottage House Hotel and Motel 1867 - 1872 Philomathian Heritage Plaque
Originally a boarding house owned by Reverend and Mrs. Joab Spencer, who added to the 1867 three room cottage shortly after they purchased the property in 1871. Purchased by Lewis Mead in 1870 and owned and operated by the Mead/Marks family from . . . — Map (db m45140) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — The Limestone Bank Barn
1871 Built for a livestock farm by Seth Hays, the first permanent white settler in this area. The Barn is 41 feet wide and 76 feet long. The rafter beams are put together with wooden pegs. The barn is constructed of native limestone. . . . — Map (db m45041) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — The Mormon Battalion at Council Grove, Kansas
The Mormon Battalion camped here for five days beginning 27 August 1846. The battalion's more than 500 volunteers and officers had been recruited from the Mormon pioneers (members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) at Council . . . — Map (db m45056) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Trail Ruts
.7 of a mile south of this sign are 20 foot wide swales made from thousands of wagons that traveled the Santa Fe Trail from 1822 to 1866. Most wagons carried 5000 pounds of freight, pulled by mule or ox teams — Map (db m60952) HM

56 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement