Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Rice County Kansas Historical Markers

 
Veterans Memorial Detail image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., June 11, 2016
Veterans Memorial Detail
Kansas (Rice County), Alden — Veterans Memorial
On Pioneer Street south of 3rd Street, on the left when traveling south.

Lest We Forget those who served from the Alden Community ————————— In memory of their Supreme Sacrifice

In memory of Charles W. Murphy Corporal U. S. Army Air Corps . . . — Map (db m95265) WM

Kansas (Rice County), Geneseo — Geneseo Fire Bell
On Main Street south of McCracken Avenue, on the right when traveling south.

Purchased July 1905 Erected November 1905

J.S. Gibson, Mayor

Councilmen J.E. Johnson L.E. Fuller Geo. Candan Chas Holmes J.W. Johnson — Map (db m95418) HM

Kansas (Rice County), Geneseo — Geneseo United Methodist Church Bell
On Beatty Avenue at 8th Street, on the right when traveling west on Beatty Avenue.

Erected by the Congregation in memory of

Charles Warren Schmidt 12-27-50 - 5-16-70

with donations from friends and relatives

"My God and I will go unendingly"

The bell in use at the Presbyterian Church until . . . — Map (db m95419) HM

Kansas (Rice County), Geneseo — War Memorial
On Main Street south of McCracken Avenue, on the right when traveling south.

Dedicated to the memory and honor of the men and women of the Geneseo community who served our country in all wars and conflicts — Map (db m95417) WM

Kansas (Rice County), Lyons — Civil War and Veterans Memorial "Lest We Forget" All Gave Some - Some Gave All —
On Main Street (U.S. 56) at East Avenue South, on the left when traveling west on Main Street.
In memory of the Defenders of our Union 1861 - 1865 Dedicated to the honor and sacrifice of our men and women who served our country in war and peace — Map (db m53322) HM
Kansas (Rice County), Lyons — 68 — Coronado and Quivira
On Avenue M (U.S. 56) at 12th Road, on the left when traveling west on Avenue M.
Eighty years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, Spanish explorers visited Kansas. Francisco Vasquez de Coronado, seeking gold in New Mexico, was told of Quivira by an Indian called the Turk. Here were "trees hung with golden bells and . . . — Map (db m53314) HM
Kansas (Rice County), Lyons — Cow Creek Station
On Avenue M (U.S. 56) near 12th Road, on the left when traveling west.
One mile south is the hand-dug wel that served the U.S. Cavalry and Santa Fe Trail travelers in the 1860s. For five days in July, 1864, 600 Indians besieged a trading post near the well and a wagon train nearby. When the attackers tried to . . . — Map (db m53319) HM
Kansas (Rice County), Lyons — Fray Juan de Padilla
On Avenue M (U.S. 56) near 12th Road, on the left when traveling west.
This Cross is erected to the memory of Father Padilla, Franciscan Missionary, who stood with Coronado at the erection of the first Christian Cross on these prairies. Father Padilla devoted his life to the service of the Cross and to the Indians of . . . — Map (db m53320) HM
Kansas (Rice County), Lyons — Santa Fe Trail 1822 - 1872
On Broadway / 16th Road (State Highway 14/96) 0.5 miles south of American Road, on the right when traveling south.
[Content in title] [Part of the markers denoting the route of the trail] — Map (db m53321) HM
Kansas (Rice County), Lyons — Workman Park
On Commercial Street east of Grand Avenue (Kansas Highway 14), on the left when traveling east.

This land was deeded to the City of Lyons by J. W. and Mahala Workman on August 7, 1882

This tablet dedicated to their memory by a grateful citizenry 1945 — Map (db m95264) HM

Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — 250 — Cooper Hall Built in 1887 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
On Broadway (State Highway 14/96) north of Cooper Avenue, on the left when traveling north.

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior ———————— American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. . . . — Map (db m121804) HM

Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — Meade Post No 14 G.A.R. Memorial
On Broadway (State Highway 14/96) south of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling north.

This gun is to mark those two trees planted by the W.R.C. 237 in memory of Mead Post No 14 G.A.R. Dept. of Kansas — Map (db m95289) WM

Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — The African Methodist Episcopal Church
On Broadway (State Highway 14/96) at Van Buren Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway.

Originally built c. 1884 as the United Brethren Church, this clapboard building was purchased for the A.M.E. congregation in 1917. The Sterling College class of 1936 bought the bell that was housed in the elaborate three-tier cupola above the . . . — Map (db m95283) HM

Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — The Bulletin
On Broadway (State Highway 14/96) south of Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
E. Branson Cowgill established the city's first newspaper, the Rice County Gazette, at this location in 1876. J. E. Junkin combined the Gazette and Bulletin in 1891. The Gazette name was dropped and the classic tin front added in 1899. The Sterling . . . — Map (db m95287) HM
Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — The Emporium
On Broadway (State Highway 14/96) south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south.

Dr. P. [Powhatan] P. Trueheart built this building known as the "Doctors Block" in 1882. His son, Dr. Marion Trueheart, was a pioneer in the use of x-ray and the introduction of radium for cancer treatment at this location. The upstairs was . . . — Map (db m95285) HM

Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — The Landis Hollinger Mercantile
On Broadway (State Highway 14/96) at Monroe Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway.

A. G. Landis and G. W. Hollinger, the town's first merchants, built a store on this site in May of 1872. The original building was located at what is now known as Dysart Park. The Landis Hollinger Mercantile expanded fifty feet to the north . . . — Map (db m95268) HM

Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — The Mincer Building
On Broadway (State Highway 14/96) at Monroe Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway.

In 1895 this corner lot was purchased to house the dry goods business of A.L. Mincer. By 1913 the Mincer Building had grown into a modern day two-story department store covering two city lots. In 1993 Gene and Miki Zaid purchased the building . . . — Map (db m95271) HM

Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — The Monroe Apartments
On Monroe Street west of Broadway (Kansas Highway 14/96), on the right when traveling west.

T.H. Brown, owner of the Citizens State Bank, built this office building with the unusual arched doorways in 1900. It had upstairs apartments and also housed such businesses as Hockaday Broom Corn Company, Western Union, and other professional . . . — Map (db m95284) HM

Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — The Santa Fe Depot
On Broadway (State Highway 14/96) at Jackson Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway.

Built in 1903, by R.B. Allington, a local builder, the passenger station featured separate male and female waiting rooms. The railroad saw much activity during WWI and WWII and was an important source of transportation for Sterling College . . . — Map (db m95282) HM


19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement