Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Estill County Kentucky Historical Markers

 
Fitchburg Furnace aka Red River Iron Furnace image, Touch for more information
June 26, 2015
Fitchburg Furnace aka Red River Iron Furnace
Kentucky (Estill County), Fitchburg — Fitchburg Furnace
This historic structure was built at the peak of the iron industry in 1868. The furnace once produced high-quality iron used for railroad wheels and rails. As you roam the grounds and explore this innovative construction, enjoy the opportunity . . . — Map (db m131603) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), Fitchburg — Fitchburg Furnace
Welcome to what was once the Fitchburg Furnace Community--a bustling settlement that made its living from the iron and wood resources of these mountains. Fitchburg had mills, shops, and homes for more than 100 families, all engaged in the smelting . . . — Map (db m131604) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), Fitchburg — Fitchburg Furnace
Each furnace operation was normally a self-contained community, known as an iron plantation, under the direction of an iron master, usually the owner. Under his direction several types of skilled laborers took part in the overall operation. Miners . . . — Map (db m131607) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), Fitchburg — Fitchburg Furnace
The casting house was a wooden shed, which covered the sand moulds where the iron was run. Note the depression in the stone directly above the archway, which probably held the roof of the shed. Long trenches, sloping gradually from the front of the . . . — Map (db m131609) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), Fitchburg — Fitchburg Furnace
"Give er fire." This cry ran through the woods as colliers tended huge piles of charring wood, which would be used as fuel at Fitchburg Furnace. Colliers, men who made charcoal, built many coal pits or hearths throughout the mountains during the . . . — Map (db m131610) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), Irvine — 1507 — Battle of Irvine
Only Civil War battle in this area. Col. John S. Scott, CSA, and troops arrived here July 30, 1863, with plan to capture 14th Ky. Cavalry. Held Irvine only a few hours. Col. W. P. Sanders, USA, and his force pursued Scott, capturing some of rear . . . — Map (db m136806) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), Irvine — 1219 — County Named, 1808
For Captain James Estill, gallant soldier and frontiersman. Fought one of bloodiest Indian battles, Estill's Defeat, on March 22, 1782, in what is now Montgomery County. He and 7 of his 25 pioneers were killed in violent combat with a band of . . . — Map (db m136805) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), Irvine — 1922 — Estill Seminary / Collegiate Institute
Estill Seminary This site approved for Jefferson Seminary by act of Ky. General Assembly in February 1798. Name was changed to Estill Seminary, February 3, 1816. Trustees given authority to sell half of unclaimed lands, granted for educational . . . — Map (db m136807) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), Irvine — 555 — Estill Springs
Mineral springs visited by Boone, Boyle, McAfee and other pioneers. Early camp of Shawnee Indians. First school of early settlers located here. Operated as resort, 1814 until hotel burned 1924. In 1861, owner Col. Sidney M. Barnes organized 8th Ky. . . . — Map (db m136947) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), Irvine — 199 — Irvine
Named, 1812, for Col. Wm. Irvine, member from Madison Co. of 1787 and 1788 conventions that sought separation from Va. and statehood for Ky.; member of Constitutional Convention, 1799. "He had strong hold on affection of people. Few have gone to . . . — Map (db m136804) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), West Irvine — 639 — Lookout Mountain Hero
In that crucial battle of the Chattanooga campaign, Nov. 25, 1863, Capt. John C. Wilson and 5 others from Estill Co., of 8th Ky. Inf., answered call for volunteers to plant U.S. flag on Lookout Mtn. Reaching summit in sight of both armies, they . . . — Map (db m136803) HM
Kentucky (Estill County), West Irvine — 810 — Station Camp
Indian Trading Post and camping ground. Called "Ah-wah-nee," a grassy place, by the Shawnees who hunted here and obtained their lead supply in this vicinity. In 1769, Daniel Boone, Squire Boone, and Joseph Proctor were first of many pioneers to use . . . — Map (db m136802) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement