Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Scott County Kentucky Historical Markers

 
Galloway Pike Iron Bridge Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dave Knoch, June 18, 2015
Galloway Pike Iron Bridge Marker
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 2286 — Branham's Mill / Galloway Pike Iron Bridge
Branham's Mill Bridge occupies historic creek crossing site of mill of Richard and James Branham. Richard, the father, received 200-acre land grant for service as sergeant in Washington's regiment in French and Indian War. Family occupied . . . — Map (db m84666) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 718 — Cardome
Home of Governor James F. Robinson, 1844 until death, age 82, in 1882. He succeeded Beriah Magoffin who resigned as Governor, August 1862, after refusing Lincoln's call for troops. Robinson supported Union during year as Governor. Lawyer, jurist of . . . — Map (db m84808) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 135 — Choctaw Indian Academy 1825 - 1843
The U.S. government established at Blue Springs Farm. Home of Vice President R.M. Johnson. Its first Indian school for sons of Indian chiefs. Future leaders of many tribes were educated here. — Map (db m60025) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 610 — Confederate Governor
Home of George W. Johnson, born 1811 in Scott Co. Named first Confederate Governor of Ky. in Nov. 1861, he followed CSA army's withdrawal to Tenn. from Bowling Green in Feb., 1862. He became aide to Gen. John C. Breckinridge but fought as private in . . . — Map (db m9822) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 1716 — First Baptist Church
Organized 1811, first meeting house erected here, 1815. Howard Malcom, pastor and president of Georgetown College, urged relocation of church near college and lease of original site to black congregation, 1842. G. W. Dupee, a slave, was first . . . — Map (db m88633) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 1861 — Gen. Basil W. Duke, C.S.A. - Basil W. Duke (1838-1916)
Obverse Gen. Basil W. Duke, C.S.A. A close associate of brother-in-law John Hunt Morgan, Duke provided tactics, discipline, and spirit, major elements of success of famous 2nd Ky. Cavalry. Wounded in battle twice, 1862; captured July 1863 . . . — Map (db m70576) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 1934 — Georgetown Cemetery
Incorporated 1850, with 31 acres purchased by 1860. Tombstones older than 1860 reflect reinterment from other graveyards. Buried here are Kentucky governors Joseph Desha and James F. Robinson, Confederate governor George W. Johnson, equine artist . . . — Map (db m88387) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — Georgetown Cemetery Confederate Monument
South Face C.S.A. KY. Confederate 1861 - Dead - 1865 East Face Wm. Simons, ARK. W. Hall, GA. Wm. Sutton, GA. Capt. John Black, TEX. Wm. Tanchill, TEX. Bryan Fitzpatrick, TEX. B. C. Wooten, KY. Wm. Wood, S.C. North Face Erected By The . . . — Map (db m88438) WM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 1487 — Georgetown College
First Baptist College west of the Alleghenies. Chartered in January, 1829, by "The Trustees of the Kentucky Baptist Education Society." Later named Georgetown. The site of Rittenhouse Academy, Georgetown, chosen for the College, July, 1829. Giddings . . . — Map (db m70524) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 1166 — Hemp in Scott County / Hemp in Kentucky
Hemp in Scott County Reverend Elijah Craig established at Georgetown, in 1789, one of the earliest ropewalks, which were long sheds for spiral winding of hemp fibers. Also started fulling mill in 1793. Both factories made cordage and rigging . . . — Map (db m84825) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 1938 — New Zion
On Nov. 23, 1872, former slaves Calvin Hamilton and Primus Keene purchased 23 acres. They sold plots to other freedmen and formed black community of Briar Hill; it was later named New Zion. Keene sold land for community well, school, and church. . . . — Map (db m35851) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 2021 — Payne-Desha House / Joseph Desha (1768-1842)
Payne-Desha House Built ca. 1814-15 by Robert Payne, a veteran of Battle of the Thames in War of 1812. Former Kentucky Governor Joseph Desha bought the Federal-style stone house in 1841. In late 19th century, Italianate alterations to exterior . . . — Map (db m91634) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 508 — Remember the Raisin!
Rendezvous of Kentucky Volunteers, Aug. 15, 1812, ordered to relieve Gen. Hull at Detroit. Kentuckians took Frenchtown (Monroe) on Raisin River Jan. 18, 1813. Four days later enemy attacked-killed, massacred, wounded, or captured all but 30. Of 1050 . . . — Map (db m70577) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 63 — Royal Spring
One of the finest in Kentucky. Discovered July 9, 1774, by Colonel John Floyd and party. Georgetown's source of water supply since earliest settlement. McClelland's Station, 1775. — Map (db m88869) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 1454 — Scott County Courthouse / Goebel Trial Here
Obverse Scott County Courthouse Present structure, 4th courthouse of Scott County, erected in 1877 at a cost of $34,600. It is an outstanding example of the French "Second Empire Style," known in U.S. as "Gen. Grant Style." Built of . . . — Map (db m70536) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — Scott County Revolutionary War Memorial
(South Face) In memory of McClelland and his men who defended the fort on this hill - 1776 - This monument is erected - by - the Big Spring Chapter D. A. R. - 1920 - Georgetown, Kentucky. (North Face) John McClelland and his men John . . . — Map (db m88908) HM WM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 1248 — Scott County, 1792
Formed out of a part of Woodford County, it was the second created after Kentucky became a state. Named for Gen. Charles Scott, 1739-1813, a Va. native. Officer in Revolution, saw service at Trenton, 1776, Germantown and Monmouth, 1777, Stony Point, . . . — Map (db m70537) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 1593 — St. Francis Church
East Face The oldest parish in Covington Diocese, this was a pioneer mission center for East Kentucky. Parish, second oldest in the state, was formed by Maryland settlers who arrived in 1786. First church built circa 1794; resident pastor . . . — Map (db m88704) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — The Beginnings of George Town
From Colonial Virginia in 1774 John Floyd, deputy surveyor for Fincastle County, led a party to locate Kentucky lands as compensation for soldiers of the French and Indian War. On July 7 Floyd and William Nash discovered a spring that became known . . . — Map (db m88904) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Georgetown — 739 — U.S. Vice President
Richard M. Johnson, 1780-1850, one of four Kentuckians - more than any state, except New York - who were U.S. Vice Presidents. Others were John C. Breckinridge, Adlai Ewing Stevenson and Alben W. Barkley. Johnson home 2 miles north. Colonel, War of . . . — Map (db m88718) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Sadieville — 2037 — Robert H. Brooks (1915 - 1941)
Marker Front: Born Oct. 8, 1915, in Sadieville, this African American entered an "all white" National Guard unit before WW II began. As a private in Co. D, 192nd Tank Battalion, he was stationed in the Philippine Islands. Brooks was killed . . . — Map (db m73112) HM WM
Kentucky (Scott County), Stamping Ground — 2091 — Buffalo Springs
This bowl-shaped basin is one of the state's three major "stamping grounds." Formed when bison herds trampled the soil by the spring, the area was at the junction of several trails used by migrating herds. After the bison left, the spring served the . . . — Map (db m76644) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Stamping Ground — 217 — Stamping Ground
This area first explored April 1775 by Wm. McConnell, Charles Lecompte and party from Penn. Buffalo herds had stamped down undergrowth and ground around the spring - origin of town's name. McConnell and Lecompte in Battle of Blue Licks, KY., 1782. — Map (db m84149) HM
Kentucky (Scott County), Stamping Ground — 2375 — Stonetown
In the late 1700s, slaves were brought to this area with their white owners as part of the "traveling church" from Va. In 1877, many former slaves moved west to newly-formed Nicodemus, Kan. Those that remained in this area purchased land in . . . — Map (db m89214) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement