Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Whitley County Kentucky Historical Markers

 
Up-Date Photo - - CCC at Cumberland Falls Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Frazier, November 21, 2013
Up-Date Photo - - CCC at Cumberland Falls Marker
Kentucky (Whitley County), Corbin — 2002 — CCC at Cumberland Falls
Some 80,000 Kentuckians served in Civilian Conservation Corps. Three camps located in area (Companies 509, 563, and 1578). All helped develop Cumberland Falls State Park, blazing foot trails, drawing maps, and erecting cabins. Men also built DuPont . . . — Map (db m9811) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Corbin — 2002 — Civilian Conservation Corps
Roosevelt's New Deal included Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Begun in 1933, the Corps employed men throughout U.S. building roads and dams., and planting trees for flood control. Jobless boys ages 18-25 received three meals a day and usually . . . — Map (db m9812) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Corbin — 1801 — Cumberland Falls MoonBow
The Moonbow that appears here is the only one in the Western Hemisphere. It may be observed under a full moon and a clear sky. An arch of white light is usually produced at base of Falls and continues downstream. Generations of people have visited . . . — Map (db m9814) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Corbin — 1517 — Kiwanis Trail
Corbin-Cumberland Falls Road built by Kiwanis Club of Corbin. July 10, 1927, first round trip by auto through wilderness from Corbin to Falls stimulated idea for trail. Members of Kiwanis Road Committee were Tom Gallagher, I.O. Chitwood, Robert A. . . . — Map (db m9813) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 672 — "Aunt Julia" Marcum
Only woman, as a fighter, to receive a U.S. pension; special Act of Congress, 1884. Marcum home in Tenn., a depot for southerners going north to Union Army. She lost eye; badly wounded defending home against marauder; then the family came here. . . . — Map (db m74177) HM WM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2102 — Clyde V. and Patricia Bennett Building
This building was constructed in 1906 at a cost of $20,000 and known as the Reuben D. Hill Building. Name was changed to the Gray Brick Buidling when it was purchased, along with two other buildings, by the Williamsburg Institute in 1907 from . . . — Map (db m119994) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 1067 — County Named, 1818
For Col. William Whitley, famous leader in over 17 Indian battles. By 1794 had driven Indians from S.E. Ky. Joined Ky. militia in War of 1812. Killed at Battle of the Thames, 1813. Whitley county formed from Knox. Williamsburg, seat of government, . . . — Map (db m74175) HM WM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 1837 — Cumberland College
Founded as Williamsburg Institute in 1889 under the leadership of General Green Clay Smith and R. C. Medaris to provide affordable Christian education for mountain people. Early supporters were James P. and Thomas B. Mahan, Ancil Gatliff, Edwin S. . . . — Map (db m119991) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 898 — First White Men Here
Dr. Thomas Walker, employed by Loyal Land Co., in 1750 led five Virginians through Cumberland Gap. Built cabin at Barbourville site. Walker and two others went on to Rockcastle River, thence southwest to Young's Creek, up Cumberland River and Watt's . . . — Map (db m119975) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2101 — Gillespie Hall
Originally Johnson Hall, it was renamed Gillespie Hall in 1995. Built in 1893 and dedicated on February 11, 1894, in memory of William James Johnson, college's first president. Girls occupied the hall for first year; boys occupied the hall from . . . — Map (db m120057) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2084 — Mahan Hall
Mahan Hall was constructed in 1906 for use as a dormitory for men at Cumberland College. Originally named Felix Hall in honor of board of trustees member, Dr. W. H. Felix of Lexington, Ky. Named changed to Mahan Hall, May 1954, in honor of E. C. . . . — Map (db m120058) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2100 — Roburn Hall
Built in 1888 as the first building of Williamsburg Institute. First known as the "Institute," then an "Old Recitation Building." The land purchased for $800; contractor was J. A. Cooley. The $12,500 building served 200 pupils. First classes, Jan. . . . — Map (db m119993) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 1702 — Roy Martis Chappell 1921-2002
Side 1 A Williamsburg native and Ky. State Univ. student, he was a World War II Tuskegee Airman and B-25 navigator and bombardier. He participated in the 1945 "Freemen Mutiny" where 101 black officers fought inequality by entering a . . . — Map (db m74178) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2541 — Samuel Cox, 1756-1832
Samuel Cox is celebrated as the "Father of Williamsburg." The city's first resident & founder, Cox was instrumental in Williamsburg becoming the Whitley County seat of government. He donated land for a courthouse and offered lots for sale for the . . . — Map (db m119990) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 513 — Scott's Raid
Col. John S. Scott with 1,600 of 2nd Cav. Brig. CSA came up from Eastern Tenn. on raid to destroy USA communications and obtain cattle, horses, mules and arms. At Williamsburg on July 25, 1863 he was met by 100 pickets of 44th Ohio Inf. After a . . . — Map (db m74176) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement