Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Woodford County Kentucky Historical Markers

 
The view west on East Main Street of downtown Midway. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, May 9, 2015
The view west on East Main Street of downtown Midway.
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 537 — "Sue Mundy" Here
Jerome Clarke, called Sue Mundy, one of Morgan's Raiders, formed his own guerrilla band on Morgan's death Sept. 1864. Clarke and band raided here Nov. 1, 1864, killing Adam Harper. Four Confederate prisoners executed in reprisal by Union forces. . . . — Map (db m83314) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 2027 — Edward Dudley Brown / Noted Horseman(1850-1906)
Side A Edward Dudley Brown This well known African American horse owner, trainer, developer, and jockey was born into slavery, 1850. Raised as a stable boy near Midway, he was nicknamed "Brown Dick" after the record-setting racehorse . . . — Map (db m98034) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 2003 — Forks of Elkhorn Baptist Church
Constituted in June 1788, with William Hickman its founder and first pastor. Land obtained and frame meeting house built, 1795, near present brick church, constructed 1945. A Virginian, Hickman visited Kentucky, 1776, and began preaching; returned . . . — Map (db m84242) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 1580 — Midway
First Kentucky town established by a railroad. In 1831, Lexington and Ohio Railroad Co. began railroad between Lexington and Frankfort. First train reached midway point, 1833. L&O bought John Francisco farm in 1835. R. C. Hewitt, a civil engineer . . . — Map (db m136912) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 2280 — Midway Christian Church
Early members of this church met on Main St. soon after the town was founded in 1833. Dr. L .L. Pinkerton dedicated first building on this site, Christmas Day, 1844. Pinkerton & members of the church founded the Kentucky Female Orphan School . . . — Map (db m136915) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 2486 — Midway Presbyterian Church
Harmony New School Church met near here in 1841 at the home of Bro. Thos. Martin. Rev. John Fee, founder of Berea College, and Edward Troye, noted equine artist, were associated with the early church. In 1846, a frame church was built on this lot, . . . — Map (db m136905) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 516 — Morgan at Midway
Taking 300 abandoned USA horses and mules at Versailles, Morgan's Raiders came here July 15, 1862. Advised of troop train approach from Frankfort he had tracks torn up and howitzers set. Train warned and returned to Frankfort. Morgan took telegraph . . . — Map (db m83316) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 2239 — Pilgrim Baptist Church
This church was organized on the second Sunday in January 1872 by Reverend James Knox Polk and 16 charter members. Rev. Polk was pastor for 47 years until his death in 1918. First church located on Parrish St. (now Walnut St.) and converted to . . . — Map (db m136906) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 2189 — Second Christian Church, Midway
Early African American Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) congregation established before the Civil War. While still a slave, Alexander Campbell served as first pastor. A log building on property of the Kentucky Female Orphan School was replaced . . . — Map (db m136907) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 2411 — Sons & Daughters of Relief Cemetery
Land bought in 1876 by 8 members of “Midway Sons & Daughters of Relief,” community org. & lodge. Final resting place of veterans as well as former slaves who became great leaders in Midway’s African American community. Famous horseman, . . . — Map (db m136901) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Midway — 2263 — St. Matthew A.M.E. Church
St. Matthew African Methodist Episcopal Church. Est. in 1860. Served as a recruitment office during Civil War. Lot was purchased May 9, 1854, for location of first church building. Rev. Moses Burks was 1st minister of the old frame church. In 1886, . . . — Map (db m136917) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Versailles — 1900 — Albert Benjamin Chandler / Gov. Albert B. Chandler(1898 - 1991)
[ Front: ] Albert Benjamin Chandler This colorful orator and two-term governor began his law practice in Versailles. As governor, he was driving force behind establishment of the University of Kentucky Medical Center, later named in his . . . — Map (db m30839) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Versailles — 114 — Buck Pond1¼ Miles →
Built about 1783 by Col. Thomas Marshall 1730-1802, staff officer under Washington, surveyor general of bounty lands for revolutionary soldiers. Father of John Marshall, Chief Justice of the United States. — Map (db m31132) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Versailles — 1921 — Calmes Tomb
This stone mausoleum was built in family cemetery of “Caneland” plantation by Gen. Marquis Calmes, a friend of Lafayette during Amer. Revolution. Calmes (1755 – 1834), born in Va. of Huguenot ancestry, assisted in laying out . . . — Map (db m31131) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Versailles — 1167 — Hemp in Kentucky / Woodford County Hemp
Side One Hemp in Kentucky: First crop grown 1775. From 1840 to 1860, Ky. Production largest in U.S. Peak in 1850 was 40,000 tons, value of $5,000,000. Scores of factories made twine, rope, gunny sacks, bags for cotton picking and . . . — Map (db m31133) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Versailles — Labrot & Graham Distillery
Labrot & Graham Distillery has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 2000 National Park Service United . . . — Map (db m83633) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Versailles — 1322 — Lt. Gen. Field Harris, USMC1895-1967
(front) Commanding general of US Marine Air Wing at invasion of Guadalcanal, 1942, WW II; and Korea, 1950. US Naval Academy, 1917. WW I. courageous and inspiring leader. His 21 combat decorations included army and navy Distinguished Service Medals, . . . — Map (db m30842) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Versailles — 86 — Pisgah Church3/4 mile →
Pioneer Presbyterian Church, organized in 1784. Here Kentucky Academy opened in 1797. The school united with Transylvania University in 1798. — Map (db m57504) HM
Kentucky (Woodford County), Versailles — 1847 — Woodford County Courthouse
On this courthouse square in 1790 Jesse Graddy built, of logs, first of county's four courthouses. Total cost was $22.50. James and Henry Thompkins completed second one, of stone, 1794. Third hall of justice, built of brick in 1812-13, cupola with . . . — Map (db m9727) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement