Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Caddo Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Belcher Mound Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, August 3, 2015
Belcher Mound Marker
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Belcher Mound — Historic Site
A Caddo mound and village dating between approximately 1450 & 1650 A.D. were located northeast of Belcher. The mound consisted of a series of platforms that contained houses or meeting places for the village leaders. The houses were burned . . . — Map (db m87132) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Belcher Presbyterian Church — Historic Site
Belcher Presbyterian Church was organized on July 18, 1897, as the Red River Presbyterian Church. The congregation met in a vacant store building on Rush Point Plantation where services were held until 1900, when a one room frame building was . . . — Map (db m87130) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Cedar Bluff Ferry — Historic Site
Cedar Bluff Ferry was one of the ferries on the Red River between Bossier and Caddo Parishes in the 19th and early 20th century. It operated until the early 1950s when a bridge was built to the north for Highway 2. It ran from Cedar Bluff in Bossier . . . — Map (db m87160) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — First State Bank of Belcher — Historic Site
The First State bank of Belcher was organized in 1913. The present brick building was designed by the architect Edward F. Neild of Shreveport and built in 1924. The First State Bank later became Caddo Trust & Savings Bank the Belcher Masonic Lodge . . . — Map (db m87128) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Louisiana Maneuvers Led by General Patton — Historic Site
During the Louisiana Maneuvers of 1941, the U.S. Army and Air Corps divided itself into two opposing armies for practice for possible war in Europe. Among the noted commanders in the maneuvers, was General George S. Patton. His mechanized armored . . . — Map (db m87133) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — Lynn Plantation — Historic Site
The plantation was established in 1914 by James Wiley Lynn with the purchase of property from the Cavett family. The plantation home, the cotton gin and the blacksmith shop were built by Mr. Lynn in 1928. The renovated dogtrot style home, the barn . . . — Map (db m87159) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Belcher — The Ruben V. Glassell House
The original house was built in 1899 by Ruben V. Glassell, a planter, and his wife Vivian. It faced west and had a center hall in the dogtrot style. Around 1910 interior columns and porches on the south and east sides were added, and the south side . . . — Map (db m87129) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Oil City — First Over Water Oil Well
The world’s first over water oil well was completed in Caddo Lake in 1911. The Ferry Lake No. 1 was erected by Gulf Refining Co. The well bottomed at 2,185 feet and produced 450 barrels per day. — Map (db m87158) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Oil City — Oil City
In the early 1900's this was a small logging community known as Ananies. In 1906, the first discovery oil well in the field, the Savage No. 1, was brought in. Around 1908 the name of the town was changed to Oil City, by 1910 the population had . . . — Map (db m87161) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — 525 Spring Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m109773) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Caddo Parish Courthouse
Third Courthouse to occupy site since 1860. First Courthouse on site served as Louisiana's Confederate Statehouse during Civil War. Present Courthouse designed by Neild & Somdal architectural firm. Built 1926-28. Served as model for numerous other . . . — Map (db m109764) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Cane & Bennett's Trading Post
Near this site stood the trading post of James H. Cane and William S. Bennett. The first business building in what later became Shreveport. Built before 1852 at this place, then known as Cane & Bennett's Bluff, it was for many years the center of . . . — Map (db m109745) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Central Station
Built 1910 for Arkansas-St. Louis-Southwestern Railroad. Only surviving passenger railroad terminal in city built prior to WWI. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1991. — Map (db m109775) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — CNB Building
Built 1940. Designed by architects McKim, Mead and White of New York City in association with Samuel G. Wiener of Shreveport. Interior lobby contains original murals depicting history of Shreveport. Vault originally made for Bank of Tokyo; WWII . . . — Map (db m109749) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Coates Bluff
Two blocks east is site of Coates Bluff settlement and homes of early area settlers Larkin Edwards, c.1803, James Coates, c.1817, and John McLeod, c.1835. The first local post office was located here in April, 1838. — Map (db m105311) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Commemorating First Oil Well in Caddo Parish, LA
Gas was first discovered in Caddo Parish in 1870 in a water well drilled for an ice plant located between Market and Edwards Streets in Shreveport. First leasing activity for oil was begun in 1904 by Judge S.C. Fullilove, D.C. Richardson and I.G. . . . — Map (db m109738) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — First City Market
In 1836 Market Street was designated the site of the city market. From 1850 to 1872 the Market House was located in the middle of Market Street from Texas Street north to the alley. On October 4, 1890 Shreveport's electric streetcar service, the . . . — Map (db m109761) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church operated as a station church on the Greenwood-Shreveport Circuit from the 1830s and established its first building in 1845 on Market Street between Travis and Fannin. The congregation moved to this location at the "Head . . . — Map (db m109769) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Fort Humbug
Formerly Fort Turnbull, built by the Confederates to defend Shreveport, then capital of Louisiana. In 1864, charred logs simulating cannon were used to deter Union forces from attacking. — Map (db m105309) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Fort Turnbull
This marks the site of Fort Turnbull one of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m105333) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Green's Alley
Possibly named for John Grange Green, pioneer Shreveport property owner and friend of Capt. Shreve, or for Dr. William Mercer Green, who was killed in a duel in this alley, just north of Texas Street, in 1849. South of Texas St. the alley is called . . . — Map (db m109743) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Harrison Building
Built by Martin Tally about 1865. Known as the Smith Building from 1870. Extensively remodelled 1897. Served as first Federal Courthouse of Shreveport 1881-1887. Later home to Eliott Electric Company and Harrison Tobacco Company. — Map (db m109772) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Hutchinson Building
Built 1910 to house Hutchinson Bros. Department Store. Has exceptional terra cotta detaining on front. Original plans called for a four story building, but was increased to six by contractor, who failed to meet deadline for completion. — Map (db m109767) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Justin Gras
Opened in 1895, Justin Gras Grocery and Liquor here once stood as Shreveport's largest retail grocery business. Famous for saying "What is good for Shreveport is good for me," Gras gave to numerous causes, including a $2.3 million endowment to . . . — Map (db m109770) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Old CNB Building
Built 1910 to house Commercial National Bank. Designed by architect firm of Stern & Mann of Little Rock, Ark. Tallest building in city when completed in 1911. Listed on National Register of Historic Places , 1982. — Map (db m109751) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Shreve Memorial Library
Built 1911 as Federal Court House and Post Office, expanded in 1931. Remained in use as federal Building until 1972. Has housed Shreve Memorial Library's central branch since 1970s. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1974, when interior . . . — Map (db m109763) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Shreve Square
100 block of Texas. Preserved block of early Shreveport commercial buildings, most dating from between 1860 and 1900. Excellent examples of 1880s-1890s cast iron found on many. Texas Street Bridge, which bisects block, was dedicated October, 1933 by . . . — Map (db m109741) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — The Last Confederate Flag
The first courthouse on this site was the Confederate capitol of Louisiana and headquarters of the Trans-Mississippi Dept. C.S.A. from 1863 until May 26, 1865, When the last Confederate flag was lowered. Maj. General Henry W. Allen was inaugurated . . . — Map (db m109765) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — This Marks the Site of Battery 1
This Marks the Site of Battery 1 One of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m105334) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Turning to the Right
In 1870, three blocks northeast of this site, water well drillers discovered the first natural gas field in northwest Louisiana. An ice plant located near the site was the first to utilize this new resource. The area's first commercial . . . — Map (db m109762) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement