Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Calcasieu Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Newport Industries Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tom Bosse, July 5, 2017
Newport Industries Marker
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), DeQuincy — Newport Industries
Between 1890 and 1930, large lumber companies moved into southwest Louisiana to harvest Longleaf Pine. After 1930, most of the companies ended logging operations, leaving thousands of acres of pine stumps. In 1919, W. Burns Logan, Sr., a chemical . . . — Map (db m109523) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Holmwood — Gerstner Field
First military air field in Louisiana. US Army signal Corps began training Nov. 1917. Gerstner had 24 hangars and 90 other buildings. Almost 500 fighter pilots and instructors were trained here for the World War I Western Front. Dismantled in 1921; . . . — Map (db m109525) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Ball's Auditorium 1414 St. John Street
One block from this site stood Ball's Auditorium from 1945 to 1995. Here, Reginald Ball, Sr. operated a trade school to help returning World War II African- American veterans obtain jobs through training in the crafts. By the 1950s, the trade . . . — Map (db m116201) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Christian Science Historical Marker
Christian Science was discovered by Mary Baker Eddy in 1866. This church is one of the many world wide branches of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts, organized by her in 1879.

By 1890, a group of . . . — Map (db m136264) HM

Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Goldband Studio
Goldband Records was founded in 1945 by Eddie Shuler to record the music of his band “The All-Star Revelers” and later to record music created by other regional musicians. The record label was known for its Cajun, swamp pop, and . . . — Map (db m116634) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Jean Laffite
Jean Laffite was a French privateer, pirate and patriot. A hero with his band of baratarians at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. Reputed to have had a warehouse on Contraband Bayou and to have conducted business with locals, Charles Salier . . . — Map (db m136230) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Killen Field
Louisiana High School Hall of Famer, R.S. Killen, coached from 1924-1950. In 1944, this stadium was named Killen Field in his honor. The name was revoked in 1953 due to a state law barring naming public structures after living persons. This stadium . . . — Map (db m116256) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — LaGrange High School
In 1903, Mesard LaGrange donated an acre for a one-room schoolhouse at this site, and in 1913 offered to donate 9 more acres for an expansion of the school. The School Board at the time offered him $1000 for the land to obtain clear title. In 1929, . . . — Map (db m116338) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Lake Charles High School Kilties 1939-1983
The Lake Charles High School Kilties, Louisiana's first all-girl drill team, was widely known for its fast-stepping precision drills, its unique drum cadences and its tartan plaid uniforms. With the piercing trill of the Colonels' whistles and the . . . — Map (db m116203) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Lost Railroad Stations
At least four railroad stations were located in Lake Charles, all of which have been lost. On Railroad Avenue at Bilbo were passenger and freight stations (circa 1880) for Louisiana Western Railroad, later Southern Pacific which ran to points east . . . — Map (db m116217) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Louisiana Baptist Orphanage
Area congregations constructed a two-story orphanage in 1899 that housed up to 150 children at a time. This location was selected for the wholesome, rural character of the setting. The landmark structure was so identified with this part of the . . . — Map (db m116272) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — St. Charles Academy
The original site of St. Charles Academy was the northeast corner of Ryan and Kirby, part of the Roman Catholic complex of church, convent and school destroyed in the Great Fire of 1910. Opening in 1882, St. Charles Academy was staffed by the . . . — Map (db m116323) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — The Arcade Theatre and Miller Building, the Paramount and the Weber Building 822 Ryan Street to 840 Ryan Street
Four important landmarks once stood here, part of an unbroken line of buildings from Railroad Avenue to Clarence Street.

The Weber Building housed professional offices and was the center of Western Union communications for this region. The . . . — Map (db m116238) HM

Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Niblett's Bluff — Civil War Memorial
In Memory of Louisiana and Texas Confederate Soldiers who Died During an Epidemic While In Camp at Niblett's Bluff. — Map (db m136233) HM WM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Niblett's Bluff — The Old Confederate Military Road 1862-1865
In 1862 when federal troops captured New Orleans and blockaded the mouth of the Mississippi River, Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. Richard Taylor established headquarters in Central Louisiana, where they successfully stopped Maj. Gen. Nathaniel . . . — Map (db m136732) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Sulphur — The Henning Family Area Pioneers, Community Leaders, Business & Industry Stalwarts
The Henning Family arrived in Calcasieu Parish in approximately 1875 and began to lay the foundation for a remarkable tenure as community, business and industry leaders. Reverend John Henning and Family, including son John Thomas Henning, arrived in . . . — Map (db m109527) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement