Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jefferson Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Avondale~Waggaman Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, February 20, 2015
Avondale~Waggaman Marker Area
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Avondale — Avondale~Waggaman
Named for George Augustus Waggaman, prominent politician, planter and War of 1812 veteran. His plantation, Avondale, was built north of here in 1839. Home consumed by Miss. River in early 1900s. — Map (db m81061) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Elmwood — Wedell - Williams Airport Site
During 1930-42 this airport operated passenger, charter, and mail service and a flying school. The company of James R. Wedell and Harry P. Williams designed, built and flew some of the fastest planes in the world. Wedell set a world speed record in . . . — Map (db m93112) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Grand Isle — 32 - Pounder
This approximately 10-foot long, 32- pounder gun was cast at the Columbia Foundry Georgetown, D.C., for the United States Navy in 1821. It was originally part of the armament of the USS Columbia, until the ship was decommissioned in 1848. . . . — Map (db m100635) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Grand Isle — Cheniere Caminada Cemetery
Settled by Indians,"Isle of the Chitamachas" was later owned by Francisco Caminada. Known as "Chico Isle", as "Chita", as Caminadaville. It was home to pirates, fishermen and farmers. On Oct. 1, 1893, a fast moving, late season hurricane from the . . . — Map (db m62038) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Grand Isle — Fort Livingston
Two miles N.E. on Grand Terre. Land occupied by Jean Lafitte until 1814, purchased by U.S. from Etienne DeGruy in 1834. Fort constructed 1841 to defend Barataria Pass. Site never saw combat. Abandoned after the War Between the States, guns were . . . — Map (db m100013) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Grand Isle — Grand IsleCirca 1781
One of several barrier islands formed about one thousand years ago when the Mississippi River flowed through Bayou Lafourche on its way to the Gulf of Mexico. Today Grand Isle is Louisiana's best known island resort. The Island was settled during . . . — Map (db m100006) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Grand Isle — Grand Isle
At Southernmost tip of Jefferson Parish, Louisiana's only inhabited barrier island appears in 18th century land-grants. At first part of Orleans Territory, but often administered by Lafourche Parish. Officially part of Jefferson Parish since 1825. . . . — Map (db m100149) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Grand Isle — Parish of Jefferson
On Feb. 11, 1825, Governor Henry S. Johnson signed legislation creating the Parish of Jefferson out of the Third Senatorial District. It is named for President Thomas Jefferson, who died the following year, July 4. — Map (db m100007) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Centennial Marker
On June, 4, 1884 members of the police jury of Jefferson Parish Right Bank: F.H. Hatch, Pres., Geo. Bossey • H. Eloi H. WIlkinson • L.H. Marrero W. M. Naudain • N. Le Bouef held their first meeting in this William Tell . . . — Map (db m81058) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — City of Gretna
Incorporated 20 August 1913. John Ehret, First Mayor. Seat of Jefferson Parish Government since 1884. German settlement laid out in 1836 by Benjamin Buisson for Nicholas Noel Destrehan as Village of Mechanikham. — Map (db m80973) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — David Crockett Firehall
This property David Crockett Firehall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m81060) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Derbigny Plantation
Home of Pierre A.C.B. Derbigny, 6th Governor of La., 1828~1829, member 1st La. Legislature, La. Secretary of State, La. Supreme Court Judge, Battle of N.O. veteran. 1820 operated 1st steam ferry on Miss. River at N.O. Died 1829 from a carriage . . . — Map (db m80975) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Gretna City HallCentennial 2007
Built in 1907 as the sixth Jefferson Parish Courthouse Annex added 1929 Dedicated Gretna City Hall 1964 National Register of Historic Places 1983 — Map (db m81107) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — McDonoghville
Founded 1815 by education philanthropist John McDonogh. Also known as Freetown where his freed slaves settled and Gouldsboro for railroad magnate Jay Gould. Incorporated 1913 into City of Gretna. — Map (db m80976) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Mel Ott
Gretna's Native Son Mel Ott New York Giants 1926-1947 Baseball Hall of Fame 1951 — Map (db m81056) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Phoenix Iron Works
Approx. 200 feet SW of this site, cast first gun for the Confederate Navy on 4 May 1861. The gun, a Dalhgren cannon, fired an 8~inch diameter explosive shell. Sylvester Bennett was proprietor. — Map (db m81063) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Saint Joseph Church
Father T. Anwander, C.SS.R., with a group of laymen, organized the mother church of West Jefferson in 1857. Previously Redemptorists crossing the Mississippi from the city of Lafayette had served the German, Irish, French and . . . — Map (db m81135) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Harahan — City Of Harahan
Community est. 1914 by Illinois Central Railroad. Named for James Harahan, RR President, 1906-1911. Village incorporated 1920. City incorporated 1953. Francis William Mayo, First Mayor, 1920-1922. — Map (db m93086) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Harahan — Tchoupitoulas Plantation
Site of plantation acquired in 1808 by Joseph Soniat du Fossat. Visited by Governor William C.C. Claiborne and, legend says, privateer Jean Lafitte. "Chapitoulas" Indians, whose name means "river people," lived in this area. — Map (db m93056) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Harvey — Harvey Castle Site
Built in 1844, Harvey Castle was the Gothic Revival home of Marie Louise Destrehan and her husband Joseph Hale Harvey. It served as the third courthouse of Jefferson Parish, 1874-1884. Located east side of Destrehan Avenue 450 feet north of . . . — Map (db m52725) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Harvey — The Harvey Canal
Originally Destrehan Canal, dug before 1845, connecting Mississippi River to Bayou Barataria. "Submarine Railway" lifted boats over the levee until successful completion of locks in 1907. Became part of Gulf Intracoastal Waterway in 1924. — Map (db m80971) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jean Lafitte — Clark Cheniere
Not far from Manila Village in Barataria Bay, another shrimping village was built by a group of Filipinos led by John (Juan Roxas) Rojas. This smaller version of Manila Village was called Clark Cheniere or Clarksville and was occupied mostly by . . . — Map (db m109612) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jean Lafitte — Manila Village
At the turn of the 19th century, in nearby Barataria Bay, a group of Filipinos built raised structures on stilts above the water which became known as Manila Village. These shrimp drying platform structures became the forerunners of the Louisiana . . . — Map (db m109647) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jean Lafitte — Town of Jean Lafitte
Named for legendary privateer Jean Lafitte, who helped the United States win the Battle of New Orleans and used area bayous for his smuggling operations. Home to a thriving seafood industry. Incorporated in 1974 as a village. Became a town in 1977. . . . — Map (db m109936) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jefferson — Camp Parapet
In 1862 Confederate and Louisiana authorities laid out Camp Parapet as a part of the defense lines of New Orleans. The works were designed to protect the city against an attack from the north. After the Federals, coming up from the south, captured . . . — Map (db m92004) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jefferson — Camp ParapetRemains of Old Powder Magazine
Part of Civil War fortification which extended from the river northward about 1-3/4 miles past Metairie Rd. Construction began in 1861 by the Confederates and continued after the fall of New Orleans by Union forces which occupied the area with many . . . — Map (db m92005) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jefferson — Camp Parapet
In 1862 Confederate and Louisiana authorities laid out Camp Parapet as a part of the defense lines of New Orleans. The works were designed to protect the city against an attack from the north. After the Federals, coming up from the south, captured . . . — Map (db m92006) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jefferson — Dubreuil Concession and Levee
Joseph Villars Dubreuil settled here in 1719. He became a pioneer in agriculture and wealthy entrepreneur. Nearby he built the first plantation levee. It led to the creation in 1724 of the Mississippi River's original levee system. — Map (db m86102) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jefferson — Jefferson Highway
Named for U.S. President Thomas Jefferson. Completed 4 Feb. 1926. "Pine to Palm" route, one of first intercontinental highways. Extends 2,194 miles from Winnepeg, Canada, through Jefferson, ending in New Orleans at St. Charles Ave. and Common St. . . . — Map (db m100376) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Jefferson — Marsalis Mansion Motel
Opened at 110 Shrewsbury Road in 1944 to serve African Americans during segregation. Proprietor Ellis L. Marsalis, Sr., was Jazz musician family patriarch & Civil Rights pioneer. Closed in 1986. — Map (db m104702) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Cannes Brûlées(Burnt Canes)
Zone between les Chapitoulas and the Demeuves Concession. 5 leagues above New Orleans along the Mississippi River. From 1708–1819, this name was in use under French, Spanish, and American rule. Site of present day Kenner. — Map (db m86098) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — City of Kenner
Named for Kenner brothers George R., Minor, Duncan Farrar, & William Butler, who acquired Oakland, Pasture, & Belle Grove plantations, 1830s-40s. Area subdivided in 1855 as Kennerville with arrival of railroad. Replaced colonial name of Cannes . . . — Map (db m94073) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — City Of Kenner Vietnam Moving WallMay 15-19 2014
Side 1 Dedicated to the men and women during the Vietnam War 1959-1975. Side 2 Honor Duty Country Casualties From Kenner 1st. Lt. Joseph Kopfler III U.S.M.C. Spc. 5 Carver English Jr. Army Spc. 4 Ronnie Pounds Army Cpl. William . . . — Map (db m93586) WM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — First World Championship Heavyweight Prize Fight Monument
On this site, in the City of Kenner, the first World Championship Heavyweight Prize fight held in the United States took place. In the predawn hours on May 10, 1870, a crowd of about 1,000 people left the New Orleans Jackson Street Railroad . . . — Map (db m86104) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Gulf War United States Air Force926th Tactical Fighter Group
The 1990-91 Gulf War, known as "Operation Desert Storm" is considered one of the greatest military deployments and victories since World War II. Over 680,000 coalition troops fought in this operation of which the United States Air Force played a . . . — Map (db m94517) HM WM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Henry "Teddy" StewartBorn: May 29, 1909 Died: November 20, 1984
First black City Councilman (1979), first black Assistant to the Mayor (1982), educator religious leader, civil rights activist, a great humanitarian. — Map (db m96470) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Kenner Community Band
Kenner Community Band was organized in 1944 by Henry "Teddy" Stewart and Rodney Jones. Band was under the direction of Maestro Wilson. In 1960, renowned drummer and singer Joseph Williams organized his band, Big Joe Williams & The Rhythm Play . . . — Map (db m96037) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Kenner High School1924-1996
Designed by William T. Nolan, Kenner High School was the first school to be located in the City of Kenner. Originally opened for grades K-12, the school was transformed into a junior high school in 1955. The school also served as a cultural . . . — Map (db m86099) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Kenner Town Hall
The hub of Kenner city government was built in 1926 to house the Town Hall, jail, and courthouse. In 1956, City Hall moved. The jail and courthouse relocated in 1970. Today it houses the Kenner Office of Tourism. — Map (db m86096) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Kenner White Sox
The Kenner White Sox baseball team was organized in 1932 by Henry "Teddy" Stewart. Many of the players subsequently played in the Negro American League. A resolution adopted by the city of Kenner on January 17, 2002 recognizing the Kenner . . . — Map (db m86153) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Korean War U.S. Navy Nurse Corps
Sponsored by Kenner State Naval Museum Commission Commission Members Pan Chism Burnsed · LTC (R) Theodore R. Dunigan · Denver Mulligan · Dominick L. Seandurro · Joseph P. Sunseri · Claude Todaro · Ryan F. Uhlich Dedicated May 24, 1996 The . . . — Map (db m94575) HM WM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — La Salle's Landing
In 1682 the French explorer, Robert Cavalier de la Salle, landed in an Indian village later to be known as the city of Kenner. Proclaiming ownership in the name of Louis XIV, King of France, he erected a cypress cross to commemorate the historic . . . — Map (db m96428) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — La Salle's Landing - 1682
. . . — Map (db m86371) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Lake Pontchartrain Basin
Lake Pontchartrain began forming about 5,000 years ago when North America glacier melts caused the Mississippi River to swell and shift to the east. The river deposited sediments into the Gulf of Mexico, creating a broad delta, which would later . . . — Map (db m99364) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Restored Navy A-4 SkyhawkMemorial to the Naval Aviators of the Vietnam War
The Kenner Naval Museum Commission acquired the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk aircraft and commissioned its total external restoration. The 122nd Bomb Squadron Restoration Unit of the Louisiana National Guard Jackson Barracks Museum, led by the late Clarence . . . — Map (db m93579) HM WM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — United States Field Infantry World War II
The Infantry, the largest combat branch of the Army, represented the greatest American fighting force ever to enter the field of battle. Six million infantrymen, or foot soldiers, fought the complexities of the war on many battle fronts including . . . — Map (db m94605) HM WM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — Vietnam War U.S. Marine Corps
The U.S. Forces commenced combat operations in Vietnam on 4 Aug 1965. By the time the 27 Jan 1973 cease fire ended the war, 8,744,000 U.S. Military personnel had been called upon to serve in the armed forces, including 794,000 Marines. Military . . . — Map (db m94516) HM WM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — World War I U.S. Army Doughboy
The United States had a regular Army of only 200,000 men when it declared war on Germany on April 6, 1917. With a need for a larger army, Congress passed a Selective Service Act that made all able-bodied men between the ages of 21 and 30 . . . — Map (db m94616) HM WM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Kenner — World War II U.S. Navy Seaman
In World War II, U.S. Navy Seamen were members of the most powerful fleet ever established to maintain control of the seas. These courageous fighting men participated in the most important U.S. victories at sea including those fought in the Pacific. . . . — Map (db m94574) HM WM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Marrero — Barataria Preserve
Part of the Jean Lafitte National Historic Park and Preserve with 23,000 acres of wetlands. Park was created in 1978 due to persistence of educator and environmentalist Frank John Ehret, Jr. — Map (db m109427) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Marrero — Poblacion de Barataria(Barataria Settlement)
To guard New Orleans, Spain in 1779 settled 56 families from the Canary Islands on lands starting at Crown Point. Flooding by the Mississippi River forced most of the settlers to relocate in 1782. Efforts to resettle failed and finally ceased in . . . — Map (db m81095) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Marrero — Sinking Land, Rising Water
This is the Barataria Basin, built of soil washed to this area by the Mississippi River. This soil is still compacting and sinking, a process called subsidence. Most of the Barataria Preserve is less than two feet above sea level, and its . . . — Map (db m109928) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — City Of Metairie Ridge
A 12-square-mile area incorporated as a village in June 1927 and as a city one month later. Charles P. Aicklen, Sr., mayor, introduced natural gas service, July 1928. Gambling was flourishing, but was outlawed within the city limits. Incorporation . . . — Map (db m93550) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — Labarre Road
Named for the de La Barre family. François Pascalis de La Barre I, a noted colonial official, owned a river-to-lake tract in 1750. Further family holdings, by 1800's, made Metairie called popularly "La Plaine Labarre." — Map (db m93111) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — LaFreniere Plantation
Part of the concession in 1720 by Governor Bienville to father of Nicholas Chauvin LaFreniere, Attorney-General of Louisiana for the years 1763 until 1769. Leader of the revolt against Spanish rulers of Louisiana, and executed October 25, 1769. — Map (db m93902) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — Metairie Ridge School
On this site in April 1909, the first public school in Metairie opened and Metairie Ridge School. Land donated by Alfred E. Bonnabel who is often referred to as "The Father of Education" in Jefferson Parish. — Map (db m85945) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), New Orleans — Chartier Concession
Pierre Chartier de Baulne, French Louisiana attorney general in 1719, held the earliest land grant at the former village of the Colapissas on Chapitoulas (Metairie) Road. His family first colonists to live nearby. — Map (db m92953) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), River Ridge — La Providence
Concession 1720's-1730's On the old Chemin de la Metairie Birthplace Jacques Phillipe Roi de Villeré 1761-1830 First native born Governor of Louisiana 1816-1820 — Map (db m93237) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), River Ridge — La Providence
Concession 1720's-1730's. On the old Chemin de la Metairie Concession, later became Sauvé Plantation, site of Mississippi River crevassé which flooded New Orleans in 1849. — Map (db m93322) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Terrytown — Jefferson Parish
On Feb. 11, 1825, Governor Henry S. Johnson signed legislation creating the Parish of Jefferson out of the Third Senatorial District. It is named for President Thomas Jefferson, who died the following year, July 4. — Map (db m81065) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Terrytown — Terrytown
1960 Paul Kapelow prefab diamond-shaped develop~ ment with alphabetical street plan named for daughter Terry. Area's "first completely winter~ summer air conditioned neighborhood." — Map (db m80979) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Westwego — Magnolia Lane
Area known as Nine Mile Point; Site of Fortier Plantation and one of area's first schools, churches and later site of WW I commissary. Once the home of Francois Quinet, Sr., statesman & developer of early New Orleans; nearby was site of Fort Banks . . . — Map (db m86597) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Westwego — Seven Oaks Plantation Site
Formerly Petit Desert, a 1719 concession. Among first parish settlements, it was a trading post and major entry port of the Louisiana colony. 1794 Michael Zeringue established Seven Oaks Plantation. His son, Camille, built Greek Revival style main . . . — Map (db m81062) HM

63 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement