Dedicated August 25, 1909, by Fr. Arthur Drossaerts, Pastor of Sacred Heart church in Broussard, and opened on September 15, 1909 with an enrollment of seventy students. Accredited as an elementary and secondary school by the State Department of . . . — — Map (db m49294) HM
Established in 1846. A combination of Mount Carmel Academy and Cathedral School. Operated by The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist Parish in the Diocese of Lafayette. Affiliated with the Sisters of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and the De La Salle . . . — — Map (db m49062) HM
1829-1864. Confederate brigadier general from Lafayette who served in Shiloh, Lafourche, Teche, and Red River campaigns. Killed at Mansfield, leading Confederacy to its most important military victory west of the Mississippi. — — Map (db m49063) HM
Sculpture by Charles Correia. Cast by Shidoni Foundry. Erected by the Lafayette Centennial Commission on July 2, 1987 as a gift to the people of Lafayette, Louisiana following the celebration of the centennial of the city's name change in 1884 from . . . — — Map (db m68722) HM
On this site in the year of 1904 the first hotel was opened in Lafayette as the Gordon Hotel. It was housed in this building and operated as a hotel through the 1950's.
This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. . . . — — Map (db m91821) HM
Lawyer, Louisiana Legislator
U.S. Congressman, Founder-President of CODOFIL
Legion d'honneur française, Ordre de la couronne belge
Preserve the language, and you preserve the culture.
This tree from the Durance Valley of the . . . — — Map (db m109227) HM
On September 15, 1953, Clara Dell Constantine, Martha Jane Conway, Charles Vincent Singleton, and Shirley Taylor attempted to enroll at Southwestern Louisiana Institute, now known as the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. They were denied, due to . . . — — Map (db m66243) HM
The tree, one of the largest live oak trees in the United States, is estimated to be almost 500 years old. It was a large tree in 1800 when the property was donated to the Catholic Church. The age of the tree is based on the average sizes of known . . . — — Map (db m86194) HM
First church in Lafayette Parish was "l'Eglise St. Jean du Vermilion." Built on a gift of this site by Jean Mouton, 1821. In 1824 he donated land for a court house and founded Vermilionville (Lafayette).
(Reverse) French: La Cathedrale . . . — — Map (db m49293) HM