Captured in 1708 by French explorer St. Denis in raid on Chitimacha Indian Village in Lafourche Parish. Sold at Mobile to a French officer, Jacques Guedon. They married in 1721 at Los Adaes. Descendants settled the Black Lake Community in 1763. The . . . — — Map (db m101025) HM
Home of Kate Chopin 1880-1883, renowned writer of Creole Short Stories set in famed Cane River Country. Best known for "Bayou Folk" and "A Night in Acadie". Home built in early 1800's by Alexis Cloutier on Spanish Land Grant No. B 17.01. — — Map (db m87871) HM
About 2 miles NW. Occupied 1816-17 and 1819-22. Purpose was to police southwestern frontier and guard Red River and Bayou Pierre. Gen. Edmund P. Gaines, commander of the Western Department, had his headquarters here for a time. — — Map (db m106124) HM
Constructed by soldiers of Fort Jesup
Extension of Old San Antonio Trace.
Grand Ecore supplanted Natchitoches
as a river port as early as 1836.
Fortifications of 1861-1865 nearby.
Two miles to Fort Selden, est. 1822. . . . — — Map (db m106126) HM
Rare surviving example of a poteaux-en-terre (posts in the ground) house, and ancient form of construction prevalent in Mississippi Valley during 18th and early 19th centuries. Probably fewer than 10 extant examples in U.S. — — Map (db m86903) HM
Has been designated a
This site possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States Department of the . . . — — Map (db m87098) HM
This c. 1836 center hall Creole cottage is of poteaux sur sole, (hand-hewn pegged cypress sills on brick piers) and bousillage construction on the 1780s land grant to Claude Pierre Thomas Metoyer. The lower 68 acres given to a . . . — — Map (db m70645) HM
Begun in 1852 and completed in 1889, this is the fifth Catholic Church in Natchitoches. The first was associated with the French colonial Fort St. Jean Baptiste. Proclaimed a minor basilica by apostolic decree from his holiness Benedict XVI in . . . — — Map (db m109539) HM
During the French and Spanish Colonial Period, 1714 - 1803, this bayou emptied into the Red River, now Cane River Lake. It was the rendezvous when the river trade from New Orleans met the pack animal trains from Old Mexico.
Because of the many . . . — — Map (db m106517) HM
First sighted by St. Denis and Bienville in 1700, this hill was later St. Denis' vacherie. Here three paths met. From the Spanish West came cattle and horses; eastward were his home and the route of flatboats to New Orleans. A road wound North to . . . — — Map (db m66241) HM
Born May 19th, 1757
Died April 8th, 1837
In 1776, at age 19, John Sibley served the patriot cause in the American Revolution as a surgeon’s mate with the Massachusetts Militia. In 1784, he . . . — — Map (db m106168) HM
Established in the late 1600’s by connecting well-worn Native American trails, El Camino Real de los Tejas was a major overland route from Mexico City to Natchitoches. By 1717, the trail had witnessed at least five major Spanish expeditions from . . . — — Map (db m106171) HM
“The first recorded, formal Christian religious service conducted in Nathchitoches was a holy Mass celebrated in 1716 in the open air beneath a large wooden cross. The celebrant, a native of Valencia, Spain, was Venerable Antonio Margil de . . . — — Map (db m109538) HM
On this hill stood Fort Saint Jean Baptiste, westernmost outpost of the French Colonial Empire in the west, erected by Saint Denis under Iberville's orders in 1720, seat of the garrison of the Post of Natchitoches, the oldest town in the Louisiana . . . — — Map (db m106119) HM
At this site on April 26, 1804, Fort St. Jean Baptiste was one of six garrisons in Louisiana where the American Flag was raised in ceremonies commemorating the transfer of the Louisiana Purchase. On behalf of the United States, Commissioner William . . . — — Map (db m106118) HM
Built about 1715 by request of Saint Denis to halt the Spanish expansion eastward. Natchitoches Indians, allies of the French, gave their name to the city.
(à 300 mètres au Sud) . . . — — Map (db m86859) HM
On Feb. 17, 1690, Henri de Tonti, a trader and French army officer known as the Iron Hand, arrived in this area to search for LaSalle's lost colony. While here, he helped arrange a treaty between the Taensa and Natchitoches Indians. — — Map (db m109793) HM
In 1700 explored & established trade with Natchitoches Indians voyaging on Red River. In 1714 built a garrisoned post to repel the Spanish, promoted trade searched mines. Married in 1716 at the Rio del Norte Presidio. Leadership of Indians & victory . . . — — Map (db m86867) HM
Located on the United States/Spanish border, by 1804 Natchitoches was the third most important settlement in the Louisiana Purchase after New Orleans and St. Louis. Within months of the official transfer of Louisiana to American rule, a military . . . — — Map (db m106170) HM
Natchitoches Historic District
Has Been Designated A
National Historic Landmark
This Site Possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America
— — Map (db m109799) HM
The history of Northwestern State University begins when a portion of property owned by Natchitoches founder Louis Juchereau de St. Denis was obtained by the Bullard family who in 1832 completed a mansion on a hill facing east towards Chaplin’s . . . — — Map (db m106519) HM
This French Colonial cottage was built by a freed black slave named "Yves" but called "Pascale". in 1797. Constructed of bousillage (adobe) between angular and upright posts, it represents the earliest form of what is now known in Louisiana as . . . — — Map (db m86861) HM
Beneath this building, former site of the Church of Saint Francis, the first Catholic Church in Natchitoches, lie the remains of The Chevalier Louis Juchereau de Saint Denis.
Born at Quebec September 17, 1676, died at Natchitoches June 11, . . . — — Map (db m109435) HM
About 2 miles NW occupied 1844-45 by the 4th Infantry Regiment part of the "Army of Observation" to be near the Texas border should hostilities occur with Mexico. The camp located on the old Texas Road. Lt. Ulysses S. Grant was stationed there and . . . — — Map (db m109434) HM
Fort established here in 1804. Named after William C.C. Claiborne, then governor of territorial Louisiana. Protected U.S. interests on southwestern frontier. Garrisoned almost continuously until establishment of Fort Jesup in 1822. — — Map (db m86855) HM
Established in 1737, the American Cemetery is considered one of the oldest cemeteries in the Louisiana Purchase. The many civic, religious, military, and political leaders buried here reflect the long and colorful history of Cane River National . . . — — Map (db m106111) HM
Originally this was the site of the relocated Fort St. Jean Baptiste and the first formal burial ground at the Natchitoches Post. Graves date from the middle eighteenth century and represent the following French, Spanish and American founders. . . . — — Map (db m106116) HM
President Thomas Jefferson negotiated the Louisiana Purchase with French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte in 1803. The Louisiana Purchase was the largest peacetime land acquisition in U.S. history, containing territory that eventually comprised 15 states. . . . — — Map (db m106110) HM
Once a primary channel of the mighty Red River, Cane River has defined the region for centuries. It has been home to various ethnic groups over the years, including the Native Americans, French, Spanish, Africans from various tribes, and Americans. . . . — — Map (db m106513) HM
Catholicism has played a central role throughout the history of the Cane River region, with its emergence rooted in French and Spanish Colonial-era claims to the territory. Although many other religions have flourished in the area over the years, . . . — — Map (db m106172) HM
The first Natchitoches Parish Courthouse was built on this site about 1828. It was demolished in 1895 to allow for the present historic courthouse, which was built in 1896. The courthouse cost $20,555 to build. This Richardsonian Romanesque . . . — — Map (db m106173) HM
In April 1864, life along tranquil Cane River was brutally disrupted when the Civil War reached area residents. In an operation known as the Red River Campaign, Union naval and land forces advanced up the Red River valley from occupied portions of . . . — — Map (db m106514) HM
This early road connected the presidio, "Nuestra Senora del Pilar de los Adaes", to the royal authority in Mexico City. An elected representative from Los Adaes traveled 1300 miles to Mexico City where he collected the soldiers' salaries and . . . — — Map (db m86807) HM
Mission founded nearby in 1717 for Adaes Indians by Fra Margil, Franciscan of Zacatecas, who traversed the trail from Panama on foot. French Natchitoches served by missionaries from this easternmost Spanish post. Plaque Dedicated June 1, . . . — — Map (db m86805) HM
On this hill Spain erected a fort that served as Capital of the Province of Texas from 1721 to 1773. The only Spanish Mission in this area was erected on the opposite hill in 1717, soon after the French founded Natchitoches. — — Map (db m106136) HM
Was founded in 1721 by the Spaniards on the crest of this hill as the Eastern outpost of the Spanish Empire in the West and for fifty years was the capital of the Province of Texas until its abandonment in 1773.
Site donated and tablet erected . . . — — Map (db m106134) HM