Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Orleans Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

254 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 54
 
Algiers Courthouse Marker image, Touch for more information
April 27, 2018
Algiers Courthouse Marker
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Algiers Courthouse
On Morgan Street north of Bermuda Street, on the left when traveling north.
Erected in 1896 To replace the Duverjé Plantation House which served as the courthouse from 1866 until it burned in the great Algiers Fire of 1895.

Barthelmy Duverjé acquired title to the Plantation in 1805 and in 1842 the property was . . . — Map (db m116882) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Algiers' Dry Docks
Near Morgan Street near Bouny Street, on the right when traveling north.
Andre Seguin built the first dry dock in Algiers in 1819 on land purchased from Barthelemy Duverjé. As the City did not want ship building and repair businesses on their side of the river, those businesses blossomed along this side of the river, . . . — Map (db m116923) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Battle of New Orleans West Bank
On Patterson Drive north of Chelsea Street, on the right when traveling north.
Here on the Jourdan Plantation American Forces under General David Morgan defended the west side of the Mississippi River while General Andrew Jackson defended the east side on January 8, 1815. The War of 1812 ended with the American victory in . . . — Map (db m116881) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Dr. Lord Beaconsfield Landry
On L B Landry Avenue at De Armas Street, on the right when traveling north on L B Landry Avenue.
Lord Beaconsfield Landry, also known as L.B. Landry, was born March 11, 1879 in Donaldsonville, Louisiana. At a very early age, he was sent to Gilbert Academy, which was at that time located in Baldwin, LA. He later attended Fisk University, where . . . — Map (db m116883) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Duverjé Plantation
Near Morgan Street, on the right when traveling north.
Algiers Point evolved from the plantation of Barthelemy Duverjé. The Duverjé home was built c. 1812-16, and served as the Algiers Courthouse from 1866. It was destroyed by the Great Fire of Algiers in 1895 and replaced by the current structure in . . . — Map (db m117057) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Enslaved Africans
Near Morgan Street at Bouny Street.
In the 1720s, at a spot of land now eroded by the river, stood the barracks where enslaved Africans from the Senegal-Gambia region, were held before being ferried across the river to the slave auctions. Early Algiers Point was also the home of the . . . — Map (db m116900) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Historic Algiers
On Bouny Street north of Morgan Street, on the right when traveling north.
Algiers, established in 1719, is the second oldest neighborhood in New Orleans. Originally called the "King's Plantation," it was first used as the location for the city's powder magazine, a holding area for the newly arrived African slaves, and . . . — Map (db m116901) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Louis D. ArmstrongAugust 4, 1901 - July 6, 1971
On Bouny Street north of Morgan Street, on the right when traveling north.
Louis Armstrong, adoringly referred to as “Satchmo," was born August 4, 1901, but chose to celebrate his birthday on July 4th,America's Independence Day.

He was the first important jazz soloist and became its most influential musician. As . . . — Map (db m116892) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Southern Pacific Railroad Yards
Near Patterson Street north of Thayer Street, on the left when traveling south.
Located between Atlantic and Thayer Sts., established in 1853, the S.P.R.R. Yards extended back 22 blocks, at its peak employed 4,000 men. Trains would board a ferry to cross the river and continue their journey from the Pacific coast up the . . . — Map (db m129503) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — The Great Fire of Algiers, 1895
Near Patterson Road near Bermuda Street, on the right when traveling north.
In the early morning hours of October 20th, 1895, on the 300 block of Morgan St., near the corner of Bermuda St., a fire started that would eventually destroy about 200 homes and businesses in ten blocks between Morgan, Lavergne, Alix and Powder . . . — Map (db m116888) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — The Naval Station
Near Patterson Street 0.2 miles south of Hendee Street.
Although this land was purchased by the U.S. Government from Jean P. Dupiere in 1849 as a proposed Navy Yard, a U.S. Naval Station was not formally established here until 1901 when a dry dock arrived. More land was purchased from the Olivier, . . . — Map (db m129683) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Verret Plantation
Near Patterson Road near Thayer Styreet, on the left when traveling north.
The sugar plantation (c.1800) of Furey Verret stretched along the river road from around Vallette St., to the Naval Station, and included the Verret Canal, where Whitney Avenue now stands. Jean Lafitte, the pirate, traveled on this canal between . . . — Map (db m116886) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Metairie — U.S.S. Golet SS-361/ Still On Patrol
On Veterans Memorial Boulevard near Athania Parkway, in the median.
A submarine built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co. of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Funds for this boat were raised by the citizens of Caddo Parish Louisiana. Launched One August, 1943. On her second patrol under command of LCDR. James S. Clark, was sunk by . . . — Map (db m133997) HM WM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — "Oven" Vaults
Near Basin Street.
To the left, along the aisle, is a row of burial crypts which also served as the wall of the cemetery on Basin Street. Because of their arched shape they were commonly known as “oven” vaults. Constructed probably in the middle of the . . . — Map (db m51640) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — 114 Magazine Street
On Magazine Street at Common Street, on the left when traveling south on Magazine Street.
114 Magazine Street stands on property donated by noted philanthropist Paul Tulane to Tulane University on June 30, 1882. This property was part of the donation by Mr. Tulane which created Tulane University in 1882. 114 Magazine was designed . . . — Map (db m102526) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — 17th Street Canal Floodwall
On Bellaire Drive at Stafford Place, on the right when traveling south on Bellaire Drive.
On August 29, 2005, a federal floodwall atop a levee on the 17th Street Canal, the largest and most important drainage Canal for the city, gave way here causing flooding that killed hundreds. This breach was one of 50 ruptures in the Federal Flood . . . — Map (db m92897) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — 700 South Peters
On South Peters Street near Girod Street, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m54330) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — 8 in. Columbaid Cannon
On Camp Street 0 miles from Andrew Higgins Drive, on the right when traveling south.
This 8 in. Columbaid, cast of Alabama iron by the Confederates at Selma, Ala. was mounted in Spanish Fort, Mobile Bay. The Fifth Company Slocomb's Battery Battallion Washington Artillery of New Orleans, during the siege of that fort by the U.S. . . . — Map (db m38901) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Academy of the Sacred Heart
On St. Charles Avenue west of Jena Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Academy of the Sacred Heart was founded in 1887. It has continued to serve as a Catholic, independent, college preparatory school for girls, offering 15 years of instruction from nursery school through high school. The Rosary, as Sacred Heart is . . . — Map (db m95686) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Adams – Jones House
On Prytania Street.
Erected for John I. Adams, merchant, who in 1860 purchased this part of the former plantation of Jacques Francois de Livaudais, built this house and made his residence here until 1896. Subsequent family ownerships were Ferdinand Reusch – . . . — Map (db m51518) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Allard Plantation
On City Park Avenue at North Carrollton Avenue, on the right when traveling west on City Park Avenue.
Plantation of Louis Allard was purchased by his grandfather, Don Santiago Lorreins in 1770's from estate of Francisco Hery, called Duplanty, builder of the first Cabildo Building in N.O. in 1769. Acquired from Allard in 1845 by J. McDonough —- . . . — Map (db m93085) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Andrew Jackson Hotel
On Royal Steet south of St Philip Street, on the right when traveling south.
Has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1965 — Map (db m84803) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Annunciation Church
On 2304 Marais Street at Mandeville Street on 2304 Marais Street.
In 1830 the Pontchartrain rail road was built along Elysian Fields to the lake, with half of its route through lands owned by Bernard Marigny. To accommodate settlers, Marigny and his cousin, Nicholas d'Estrehan subdivided the backlands of Faubourg . . . — Map (db m102848) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Archbishop Antoine Blanc Memorial
On Chartres Street at Ursuline Street on Chartres Street.
This memorial is a complex of private property of the Catholic Church of New Orleans. Located on the grounds are several buildings of which the most notable is the OLD URSULINE CONVENT – ARCHIEPISCOPAL RESIDENCE erected by order of King . . . — Map (db m51313) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Atlantic Wall Fragments
On Magazine Street at Andrew Higgins Drive, on the right when traveling south on Magazine Street.
On June 6, 1944, the three slabs of steel reinforced concrete before you constituted 20 feet and 16 tons of German fortified coastline that ran from the Franco-Spanish border in the south to Norway, over 2,400 miles to the north. "Atlantic Wall" . . . — Map (db m102717) HM WM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Audubon Park History
On Magazine Street south of Tea Room Drive.
The history of the land bordered by St. Charles Avenue, Exposition Boulevard, Walnut Street and the Mississippi River - now known as Audubon Park - is as rich as any New Orleans tale. Originally comprised of abutting tracts of plantation land owned . . . — Map (db m114287) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Audubon Room
On Dauphine Street at Conti Street on Dauphine Street.
This typical creole cottage probably built before 1813, is considered the traditional site of the studio of famed naturalist painter, John James Audubon, and the place in which he completed his classic “Birds of America” series during . . . — Map (db m51356) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Audubon ZooThrough The Years
Near Magazine Street.
In The Beginning The land that is now Audubon Park was once a large sugar plantation owned by Etienne de Bore, the first mayor of New Orleans. In 1871, the property was sold to the city for use as "Upper City Park" and a site for a new . . . — Map (db m117221) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Audubon Zoo's Whooping Crane Legacy
Near Magazine Street.
In the 1950's, Audubon Zoo became the first zoo to successfully breed whooping cranes. The only previous captive birth was at a Texas wildlife refuge. That chick's mother, Josephine, hailed from Audubon Zoo.

One of only two remaining cranes . . . — Map (db m117218) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Avart-Peretti House
On Saint Peter Street.
Erected 1842 as a two-story house for Mme. Augustine Eugenie de Lassize widow of Louis Robert Avart J.N.B. de Pouilly and Ernest Goudchauz architect-builders From 1906 through 1923 it was the residence and studio of the artist Achille . . . — Map (db m51416) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bank of LouisianaErected 1826
On Royal Street at Conti Street on Royal Street.
Built by Bickle, Hamlet & Fox; the iron fence and gates were made by Sterling & Co. of New York. In 1840 the building was damaged by fire and repairs were made; another fire occurred in 1861 after which the structure was again restored and the . . . — Map (db m117860) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans
On Saint Charles Avenue at Gravier Street on Saint Charles Avenue.
The original Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans was chartered by Governor Claiborne in 1804 and its board included Julien Poydras and John McDonogh. The bank was formed after the Louisiana Purchase to provide the currency for the citizens of Louisiana . . . — Map (db m51591) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bank’s Arcade
On Magazine Street at Natchez Street, on the left when traveling south on Magazine Street.
These buildings were once part of the notable block – long structure, Bank’s Arcade Erected in 1833 by Thomas Banks Charles F. Zimpel, Architect A glass-roofed arcade extended from Natchez to Gravier Streets, The upper . . . — Map (db m102527) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Battle of Liberty Place Monument"September 14th 1874"
Near Iberville Street north of Canal Street. Reported permanently removed.
[ inscriptions, west face, base :] September 14th 1874 In honor of those Americans on both sides who died in the Battle of Liberty Place Members of the Metropolitan Police: John H. H. Camp • John Kennedy • Edward Simon • . . . — Map (db m34742) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Beatles Only Concert Performance in Louisiana
Near Marconi Court east of Marconi Drive, on the right when traveling north.
It was twenty years ago today, John Lennon brought the band to play. This plaque commemorates the 20th anniversary of The Beatles only concert performance in Louisiana September 16, 1964, City Park Stadium Presented by WRNO Radio to . . . — Map (db m87847) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Benito Juarez
On Basin St. near Conti St., in the median.
Incised on stone: Peace is based on the respect of the right of others. BENITO JUAREZ 1806 - 1872 The People of Mexico to the people of the United States of America. El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz. BENITO JUAREZ . . . — Map (db m86112) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bernard de Marigny
Near Basin Street.
Bernard de Marigny de Mandeville (1785-1868) a wealthy land-owner, served in the U.S. Army, participated in framing the first and second constitutions of Louisiana, and served in the Louisiana Territorial Legislature. He also was elected President . . . — Map (db m51643) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bienville MonumentBienville Place
Near Decatur Street north of Conti Street, on the left when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m23885) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bienville's Plantation
On Common Street at Magazine Street, on the right when traveling east on Common Street.
Here, on a plantation granted to him on March 27, 1719 by the company of the Indies, stood the residence of Jean Baptiste LeMoyne de Bienville, founder of New Orleans. This plantation was sold by Bienville on April 11, 1726 to the Jesuit Fathers . . . — Map (db m132517) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Birdsall Building
On Poydras Street at Penn Street, on the right when traveling east on Poydras Street.
This is to certify that 918-920 Poydras Street was entered into the National Registry of Historic Places as part of the Upper Central Business District Historic District under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act . . . — Map (db m133954) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Birthplace of Danny BarkerJanuary 13, 1909
On Chartres Street.
African-American Creole guitar and banjo player, songwriter, composer, singer, author, historian, teacher, storyteller, humorist, actor and painter. Jazz Hall of Fame member. Recipient of National Endowment of the Arts Music Master Award and . . . — Map (db m51525) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Boimaré-Macarty House
On Royal Street.
Erected in 1832 by Antoine Louis Boimaré, bookseller and Louisiana historiographer, the building was completed by Louis Bartehelemy Macary who bought the unfinished house in 1835. The granite arcade and lead-ornamented transoms are excellent . . . — Map (db m51332) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Boré Plantation - Audubon Park
Near Magazine Street.
This site 1781-1820 plantation of Jean Etienne Boré (1741-1820) First Mayor of N.O. 1803-1804. Here Boré first granulated sugar in 1795. Purchased for park in 1871. Site of World's Industrial & Cotton Centennial Exposition 1884-1885. — Map (db m117167) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bosque House
On Chartres Street at Wilkinson Street, on the left when traveling north on Chartres Street.
Built in 1795 by Bartholome Bosque, a native of Palma, Majorca; father of Suzette Bosque, third wife of Louisiana’s first American governor W.C.C. Claiborne On this site stood the house of Don Bernardo de Galvez Spanish Governor . . . — Map (db m51412) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bradish Johnson HouseErected 1872
On Prytania Street near First Street.
The design of this post-Civil War mansion of a prominent Louisiana sugar planter, attributed to James Freret, architect, reflects the influence of the French “Ecole des Beaux Arts,” where he studied from 1860 to 1862. Residence of Walter . . . — Map (db m51519) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Brevard-Rice HouseBuilt in 1857 for Albert Hamilton Brevard
On First Street near Chestnut Street.
James H. Calrow, architect Charles Pride, builder Owned by Brevard heirs until 1869 purchased then by Emory Clapp, who added the library wing on the left. It remained in the Clapp family until 1935. It was then owned and occupied by the . . . — Map (db m51523) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bringier – Barnett House
On Esplanade Avenue.
One of three once identical adjacent houses erected in 1834 by Henry R. Denis, attorney Owned by Michel Douradou Bringier 1837-1850 Owned by Edward Barnett, notary – attorney 1850-1876 Remodeled and enlarged by him in 1859 Elijah Cox, . . . — Map (db m51315) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Brothers Of The Sacred Heart
On Elysian Fields Avenue at Stephen Girard Street, in the median on Elysian Fields Avenue.
Since 1869 the Brothers and their colleagues have touched the hearts and shaped the lives of the City's youth. As St. Aloysius in the Vieux Carre, Cor Jesu on this site and, since merging in 1969 into Brother Martin High School, belief in God, love . . . — Map (db m97461) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Café Du Monde
On Decatur Street at St Ann Street, on the right when traveling north on Decatur Street.
The original French market coffee stand, serving café au lait and hot beignets (French doughnuts) 24 hours a day, year around. This familiar New Orleans landmark has been located in the French market since the early 1860’s. — Map (db m95381) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Campanel Cottage
On Toulouse Street at Dauphine Street on Toulouse Street.
Barthelemy Campanel purchased this site in 1806 and likely built this cottage and two adjacent Toulouse Street cottages in 1811 as rental property. Campanel, a free man of color, operated a hardware store on North Peters Street, and his family . . . — Map (db m51359) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Canal Street Historic District
On Canal Street.
Canal Street, New Orleans’ widest thoroughfare, has long served as the retail heart of the city. With its broad “neutral ground," it is the traditional dividing line between uptown and downtown and represents two centuries of American . . . — Map (db m51605) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Carmelite Chapel of St. Joseph and St. Teresa and the Carmelite Monastery
On North Rampart Street 0.1 miles west of Barracks Street, in the median.
The cornerstone of the monastery was laid in April, 1891, James Freret, Architect, Fred Reusch, Jr, Builder. Founded by the Discalced Carmelite nuns, a contemplative and strictly cloistered order of nuns restored to the primitive rule established . . . — Map (db m102850) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Carmelite Monastery
On North Rampart Street west of Barracks Street, on the right when traveling east.
James Freret, Architect Ferdinand Reusch, Jr., Builder Dedicated on November 12, 1895, as the Chapel of Reparations and Monastery of the Discalced Nuns. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 by Archbishop Francis Janssens. The Carmelites, a Catholic . . . — Map (db m102860) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France
On Place John Paul II (Chartres Street), on the left when traveling north.
[Cast at the top of the marker is a rendering of the church]Church of St. Louis, 1727-1788 Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France The first church on this site designed by Adrien de Pauger was erected 1724-1727 . . . — Map (db m21552) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Charity Hospital Cemetery
On Canal Street 0.1 miles south of City Park Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Front This cemetery was purchased by Charity Hospital in 1848 and was originally known as Potter's Field. It has historically been used to bury the unclaimed victims from throughout the city including victims of several yellow fever . . . — Map (db m87256) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Charles Didier Dreaux
On North Jefferson Davis Parkway at Canal Street, on the left when traveling north on North Jefferson Davis Parkway.
Col. Charles Didier Dreaux Born in New Orleans May 11, 1832 First Conf. officer from Louisiana Killed in the War Between the States on the field of honor near Newport News, VA. On July 5, 1861 His last words were "Boys steady" . . . — Map (db m86011) HM WM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Christ Church Cathedral(Episcopal)
On Saint Charles Avenue near Sixth Street, on the right.
This congregation was founded in 1805, the first Episcopal church established in the former Spanish colony after the Louisiana Purchase. In its first service was held in the Cabildo on November 17, 1805. An octagonal Gothic church designed by . . . — Map (db m104918) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Civil Rights Pioneers / HistoryMcDonogh No. 19 Elementary School — Site of the Integration of Southern Elementary School November 14, 1960 —
On Saint Claude Avenue (State Highway 46) east of Alabo Street, in the median.
Civil Rights Pioneers On November 14, 1960, four six-year-old children in New Orleans became the first African-Americans to integrate "white only" public elementary schools in the Deep South. On that day, three girls enrolled in McDonogh No. 19 . . . — Map (db m99584) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Claiborne TombGaines Tomb
On Basin Street.
Burial place (right) of second wife of Governor W.C.C. Claiborne, Clarisse Duralde, who died in 1809 at the age of 21. Myra Clark Gaines (left) was the daughter of Daniel Clark (1769-1813), American consul when Spain ruled city and later . . . — Map (db m51650) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Classic Designs
Near Magazine Street near Tea Room Drive, on the left when traveling east.
By 1893, Audubon Park was starting to resemble a modern city green space. As interest in improving the park grew, its leaders corresponded with several well-known designers, including Frederick Law Olmsted, to discuss the park's future. In 1898, . . . — Map (db m114194) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Closures – Grillwork
Near Basin Street.
These are samples of marble slabs used to adorn tombs and crypts after the opening has been sealed with brick and mortar. The tablets were gathered from areas of the cemetery where they has been put aside after falling from neglected or abandoned . . . — Map (db m51651) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Colonel Short’s Villa
On Fourth Street near Prytania Street.
Built in 1859 for Colonel Robert H. Short of Kentucky, commission merchant, Henry Howard, architect, Robert Huyghe, builder. In 1832 this property, which was part of the Lavaudais Plantation was subdivided into city squares. September 1, . . . — Map (db m51497) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Commagère – Mercier House
On Saint Peter Street.
Erected about 1795 by Pedro Commagère after an earlier house on this site was destroyed in the great fire of December 8, 1794. In 1806 it was occupied in part by John Watkins, mayor of New Orleans and by Mr. Forstall’s store. Sold by Pedro . . . — Map (db m51417) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Commander’s PalaceFounded in 1880
On Washington Avenue at Coliseum Street on Washington Avenue.
In 1832 this site was part of the J.F.E. Levaudais Plantation and was acquired under French grant. Prior to 1880 the property formed a part of the City of Lafayette, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana Dedicated 1944 To Dining in the Grand . . . — Map (db m51662) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Congo Square
Congo Square is in the “vicinity” of a spot which Houmas Indians used before the arrival of the French for celebrating their annual corn harvest and was considered sacred ground. The gathering of enslaved African vendors in Congo Square . . . — Map (db m20954) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Conway’s Court
On Royal Street near Bienville Street.
The French crown granted this property in the early 1700’s to the Marquis de Mezieres, whose influential family furnished planters, soldiers, administrators, and Indian Traders to the French and Spanish regimes. Maurice Conway, nephew and aide of . . . — Map (db m51337) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Creole Cottage c. 1810
On Bourbon Street.
Documented red-cream-green colors Original terracotta, pantile roof John E. De Cell, AIA, Restoration 1963 — Map (db m51364) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Cucullu Row
On Chartres Street at Dumaine Street on Chartres Street.
Built in 1828 by James Lambert and Louis Lemoyne for Simon Cucullu, these six rowhouses survive as the oldest intact row in the Vieux Carré. Desporte Pharmacy operated here from 1887 to 1970. On this corner once stood the 1730 celestial . . . — Map (db m51542) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — David Bannister Morgan
On Saint Peter Street.
On the eighth day of January, 1815 David Bannister Morgan Brigadier General U.S.A. with 400 militia, held his position, called in the British official reports, “The Flanking Battery,” and from which, to employ Gen. Jackson’s . . . — Map (db m51414) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — De La Ronde House
On Chartres Street.
Erected about 1807 by Major General Pierre Denis de la Ronde on whose St. Bernard Parish plantation the first engagement of the Battle of New Orleans was fought on December 23, 1814. This was de la Ronde’s city residence until his death in 1825, . . . — Map (db m51541) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — DeDroit Residence
On Henry Clay Avenue near Magazine Street.
John “Johnny” DeDroit (1892-1988) cornetist, and bandleader, lived here at 737 Henry Clay Avenue from 1929 until 1933. He was a cornet soloist at age 12 at the Winter Garden Theater on Baronne St., and subsequently played every New . . . — Map (db m51491) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Denis House
On Chartres Street at Esplanade Avenue on Chartres Street.
One of three once identical row houses erected in 1834 for Henry Raphael Denis, an attorney. Dr. Jokichi Takamine (1854-1922), Japanese chemist, philanthropist and co-commissioner for the 1884-1885 World’s Cotton Exposition, is said to have . . . — Map (db m55033) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Dominique Bouligny House
On Royal Street.
Erected in 1831 by Dominique Bouligny. Construction was begun by John McLeary and completed by James Crowe. The cast-iron verandah is a later addition. Bouligny, born in New Orleans in 1773, was a soldier, statesman, and planter. He was a . . . — Map (db m51317) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Duelling Grounds
On Victory Avenue.
This site, history tells us was a favorite location for many duels fought by hot blooded young blades in the romantic Antebellum era of the South. Here, mostly young French and Spanish gentlemen settled their differences with sword and pistols. It . . . — Map (db m51296) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Dupaquier House1101 North Rampart
On N. Rampart Street at Ursulines Ave., on the right when traveling west on N. Rampart Street.
This fine example of late 19th century Italianate architecture was designed by renowned architect G.A. D'Hemecourt and built for Dr. A. Dupaquier in 1879. For many years while a private residence the home was known as The Dupaquier House. Perhaps . . . — Map (db m131385) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Edgar Degas House
On Exchange Place at Bienville Street on Exchange Place.
This house was bequeathed to the artist and his sister by their maternal uncle Michael Musson. The property was at one time held by Wm. Kenner. Kenner was in New Orleans to assist Wm.C.C. Claiborne in the transfer of New Orleans and Louisiana . . . — Map (db m51598) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Edgar Germain Hilaire Degas
On Esplanade Avenue.
French “Impressionist” master whose mother and grandmother were born in New Orleans. Painted many famous subjects on a visit here in 1872-1873 at Musson Home on Esplanade. His “Portrait of Estelle” bought by Delgado Museum. — Map (db m51292) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Edison Place
On Bourbon Street north of Bienville Street, on the left when traveling north.
This land for more than 60 years a part of the electric distribution system serving New Orleans, was donated to the City of New Orleans by New Orleans Public Service, Inc. and named in honor of Thomas Alva Edison, inventor and creative genius, a . . . — Map (db m80412) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Edward A. Davis House
On Prytania Street at Second Street on Prytania Street.
The Greek Revival design by architect William A. Freret was built for Edward A. Davis in 1859. Dr. and Mrs. Herman de Bachelle Seebold purchased the home in 1944 and donated the mansion, furnishings and art in 1965 to the Women’s Guild of the New . . . — Map (db m51517) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Eliza Lewis1764-1804
Near Basin Street.
First wife of Wm.C.C. Claiborne, first American governor of Louisiana. Also memorialized here are her son and her brother, Micajah Green Lewis, who died in a duel defending the honor of his brother-in-law, Benjamin Latrobe, noted architect, designed . . . — Map (db m51648) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Erard-Espy House
On Bourbon Street.
Erected 1824-1825 By Nicholas Joseph Erard Native of Luneville, Dept. of La Meurthe, France — Map (db m51363) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Evans Creole Candy FactorySince 1900
On Decatur Street near Dumaine Street, on the right when traveling north.
An important part of Louisiana's heritage is the famous Creole cuisine which produced such tasty delicacies as the praline, crisp candy made by adding pecans to boiling sugar. A similar confection was made in France with almonds, but . . . — Map (db m54194) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Fannie C. Williams / Valena C. Jones Elementary School
On North Miro Street at Anette Street, on the left when traveling east on North Miro Street.
Fannie C Williams Pioneer in Public Education

As one of New Orleans' premier educators in the first half of the twentieth century, Fannie C. Williams steered this school through decades of challenge and change. An active civic leader, she was . . . — Map (db m115964) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Fauboug Marigny
On Esplanade Avenue at Frenchmen Street on Esplanade Avenue.
In 1805 Bernard de Marigny began the subdivision of his plantation, creating the first suburb below the original city. As Americans settled up-river, immigrants and free persons of color settled in Faubourg Marigny. Faubourg Marigny Improvement . . . — Map (db m51600) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Faubourg Tremé
On Esplanade Avenue at No. Claiborne Avenue, in the median on Esplanade Avenue.
Located on a portion of the Morand-Moreau plantation sold by Claude Faubourg Tremé in 1810 to the city of New Orleans, it became the city’s first subdivision and is considered to be America’s oldest existing African American neighborhood. It was . . . — Map (db m35124) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Faulkner House
On Pirate Alley.
Here in 1925 William Faulkner, Nobel Laureate, wrote his first novel "Soldiers Pay" This building was erected in 1840 by the widow of Jean Baptiste LaBranche on a site formerly occupied by part of the yard and buildings of the French Colonial . . . — Map (db m51418) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — 313 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
On South Claiborne Avenue (U.S. 90) at Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Claiborne Avenue.
Organized 1817. The first pastor (1818-1820), the Rev. Sylvester Larned, built a church in 1819 in the plain Gothic Style on St. Charles Street near Gravier Street, William Brand, Architect-Builder. A Greek Revival style church was erected . . . — Map (db m121832) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Former site of Holy Family Sisters’ Convent
On Orleans Street.
The old Orleans Ballroom built in 1817, served a number of purposes over the decades. Its most unique function was as a convent, orphanage, and school for the Sisters of the Holy Family, a religious community of negro nuns, now located on the Chef . . . — Map (db m51489) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Fort Pike
Near U.S. 90.
Historic state monument 5 miles west on US 90, was completed in 1828 to defend Rigolets Pass approach through Lake Pontchartrain to New Orleans. Named after Brigadier Gen. Zebulon Montgomery Pike. — Map (db m22776) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Fort St. Charles[Louisiana Rebellion of 1768]
On Esplanade Avenue at North Peters Street on Esplanade Avenue.
On Oct. 25, 1769, under Gen. O’Reilly, Spanish governor of Louisiana, were executed French patriots and martyrs: de Lafreniere, Marquis, Noyan, Caresse, Milhet; Villere having died previously. Erected by the Louisiana Department of Commerce and . . . — Map (db m51552) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Fort St. John(Spanish Fort)
On Beauregard Avenue north of Jay Street, on the right when traveling north.
Established by Colonial French in the early 18th century Rebuilt by the Spanish-1779 American restoration-1808 Built to protect New Orleans from attack by way of Lake Ponchartrain. (lower plaque) Dedicated by Spirit of '76 . . . — Map (db m113498) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Frances Benjamin Johnston House
On Bourbon Street.
This Greek Revival house was erected for Mme. Julie Duralde, widow of John Clay, Henry Clay’s brother who purchased the property in 1835 and owned it until her death in 1861. From 1940 until 1952 it was the residence of Frances Benjamin Johnston . . . — Map (db m51361) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — French Market
On Ursulines Avenue east of N. Peters Street, on the right when traveling west.
In 1991 in celebration of the bicentennial of its first market hall, the French Market rededicates itself to the perpetuation and expansion of the traditional market offerings of the bounty of Louisiana - its land, its waters, its cultures - in . . . — Map (db m21841) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Gallier House
On Royal Street.
Erected 1857 for his own residence by James Gallier, Jr. 1827-1868 architect of the French Opera House and other notable buildings. Here he died on May 16, 1868. Owned by his descendants until 1917. This property was part of the grounds of the . . . — Map (db m51318) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Gálvez Monument
Near Canal Street east of Royal Street when traveling south.
Bernardo de Gálvez Governor of Louisiana 1777 to 1785 The government of Spain donates this statue to the city of New Orleans to commemorate the bicentennial year of the independence of the United States to which the Spanish governor so . . . — Map (db m41111) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Garden District
On Washington Avenue at Prytania Street, on the right when traveling north on Washington Avenue.
Famous for its nineteenth century homes and gardens. This area was originally part of Livaudais Plantation. Became part of City of Lafayette, 1833. Annexed by City of New Orleans, 1852. Designated a National Historic Landmark, 1974. — Map (db m82599) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Gardette - Le Pretre House
On Dauphine Street near Orleans Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
Erected 1836 for Joseph Coulon Gardette, Dentist Frederic Roy, Builder The cast iron galleries were added by Jean Baptiste Le Pretre, Planter who purchased the house in 1839 and owned it until 1878. Here on June 2, 1861 part of . . . — Map (db m54175) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Gauche House
On Royal Street.
This handsome Italianate villa notable for its fine cast iron work was erected in 1856 by John Gauche importer and dealer in crockery and chinaware who purchased this part of the former city commons from Henry R. Denis, attorney Acquired from the . . . — Map (db m51316) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Gen. Albert PikeConfederate States Army — 1809-1891 Soldier - Philosopher - Scholar —
On South Jefferson Davis Parkway at Tulane Avenue (U.S. 61), in the median on South Jefferson Davis Parkway.
Grand Commander, Supreme Council 33° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, southern jurisdiction. U.S.A., 1859 - 1891. Erected April 27, 1957 by the Grand Consistory of LA., 32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry to . . . — Map (db m102982) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — General Beauregard Equestrian Statue
On Esplanade Avenue at North Carrollton Avenue, in the median on Esplanade Avenue. Reported permanently removed.
. . . — Map (db m86158) WM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Gilbert Academy and New Orleans University
On St. Charles Avenue at Valmont Street, on the right when traveling east on St. Charles Avenue.
5318 St. Charles Avenue The site of Gilbert Academy and New Orleans University, Black Educational Institutions Under the auspices of The Methodist Church 1873 to 1949 — Map (db m12678) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Gilmour – Parker House
On Prytania Street.
Erected 1853 For Thomas Corse Gilmour, English Cotton Merchant Isaac Thayer, Architect-Builder. Sold by Gilmour heirs in 1882 To John M. Parker, whose son, John M. Parker, Jr., lived here and later served as Governor of . . . — Map (db m51660) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Girod House
On Chartres Street at Saint Louis Street on Chartres Street.
Erected in 1814 by Nicholas Girod The two story wing facing St. Louis Street was built by his brother, Claude Francois Girod, about 1797. Nicholas Girod was the mayor of New Orleans from 1812 to 1815 and it is said that he offered his house as a . . . — Map (db m51386) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Goldsmith-Godchaux House
On Jackson Avenue north of Magazine Street, on the right when traveling south.
Designed by noted nineteenth century architect Henry Howard in 1859. Significant for its painted interiors. Has more fresco wall decoration and stenciling than probably any other mid-nineteenth century residence in the South. — Map (db m95752) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College
On Newcomb Circle near Newcomb Place, on the right.
Founded 1886 as the Coordinate Women's College of Tulane University by Josephine Louise Le Mommier Newcomb (1816-1901) in memory of her daughter Harriott Sophie Newcomb (1855-1870).

Originally located in the former Thomas Hale House at Camp . . . — Map (db m114187) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Heinemann Park/Pelican Stadium
On South Carrollton Avenue at Tulane Avenue (U.S. 61), on the right when traveling north on South Carrollton Avenue.
Home of New Orleans' first professional sports team, baseball's New Orleans Pelicans. The "Pels" played home games here from the park's construction in 1915 through its demolition in 1957. Negro league teams such as the Black Pelicans and the . . . — Map (db m100503) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Hermann – Grima House
On St. Louis Street.
Erected in 1831 by Samuel Hermann, William Brand, architect – builder. Purchased 1844 by Felix Grima judge, attorney and notary public. Owned by the Grima family until 1921 – acquired by the Christian Woman’s Exchange 1924. An important . . . — Map (db m51378) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Higgins Boat (LCVP)
On St. Charles Avenue at Felicity Street on St. Charles Avenue.
On this site at 1755 St. Charles Avenue in May 1941, Andrew Jackson Higgins and Higgins Industries Inc. designed and produced America’s first successful tank landing craft. Here Higgins produced his shallow draft "Eureka" work boats, which evolved . . . — Map (db m54114) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Homer Adolph Plessy1862-1925
Near Basin Street.
On June 7, 1892, Homer Adolph Plessy defied a Louisiana law that segregated railroad trains on the basis of race. He was arrested and became the defendant in the May 18, 1896 United States Supreme Court decision of Plessy v. Ferguson, which condoned . . . — Map (db m13036) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Immaculate Conception Church(Jesuits')
On Baronne Street west of Canal Street, on the left when traveling west.
    1700Fr. Paul Du Ru, S.J., Missionary Reconnoiters Future City of New Orleans 1722Fr. Pierre F.X. De Charlevoix,S.J., inspects region for French Crown 1723Fr. Joseph François De Kereben, S.J., First Superior of local Jesuit Mission. 1763Society . . . — Map (db m105942) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Importer's Bonded Warehouses - Henry Howard, ArchitectThe Fontaine Building — The Marketplace at Jackson Brewery —
On North Peters Street north of Conti Street, on the right when traveling north.
Constructed in 1868 by renowned New Orleans architect/builder Henry Howard, this building was comprised of six bonded warehouses, serving the thriving maritime commerce of the French Quarter Riverfront throughout the late 19th and early 20th . . . — Map (db m131614) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — In Memory of All American Veterans
On Esplanade Avenue.
This memorial honors all American veterans who, although separated by generations, shared a common undeniable goal – to valiantly protect our country’s freedoms. The memories of these American veterans will continue to live on whenever and . . . — Map (db m51294) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — In the Protestant SectionBenjamin Henry Boneval Latrobe — Henry Sellon Boneval Latrobe —
On Basin Street.
In the Protestant Section of this cemetery were interred Benjamin Henry Boneval Latrobe Born – Fulneck, England, May 1, 1764 Died – New Orleans, September 3, 1820 Founder of the architectural profession in America Architect of . . . — Map (db m52070) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Italian Hall1020 Esplanade Ave.
On Esplanade Avenue.
This imposing complex was assembled out of old buildings (one by architect James Gallier, dating to 1835) and new construction from between 1912 and 1920. As the Unione Italiana, which combined many Italian benevolent societies, it was the home of . . . — Map (db m51987) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Italian Mutual Benevolent Society Tomb
Near Basin Street south of St. Louis Street, on the right when traveling south.
This architectural masterpiece is the most notable of the many multi-vaulted society tombs in the cemetery. Designed by Pietro Gualdi it was fabricated in Italy and erected in 1857 at a cost of $40,000. Ownership was ceded to the cemetery in 1986 by . . . — Map (db m86109) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Jack Teagarden
On Bourbon Street.
played his last stand here one year ago today on 14 January 1964. This plaque is placed in this spot by Y F Minola in deepest respect for his enduring contribution to jazz. — Map (db m85503) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Jackson Square - Vieux CarréNational Historic Landmark
On Chartres Street (Place John Paul II) north of St. Paul Street.
[Panel 1:] Jackson Square has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and interpreting the . . . — Map (db m21859) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Jazz
Near Loyola Avenue 0.1 miles north of Perdido Street, on the right when traveling north.
This site is in the area which has been called the birthplace of jazz. It was a center of social clubs, saloons, honky-tonks, bakeries, pawn shops, and barber shops where the musicians met during the early years of the twentieth-century. . . . — Map (db m81105) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Jean Adrien Delpit House
On Saint Louis Street.
Erected together with the adjacent building at 525 St. Louis Street by Etienne Debon who acquired both properties in 1807 from Jean Etienne Boré, Claude Gerlie and Joseph Guillot, buiders. This half of the Debon Building was extensively remodeled . . . — Map (db m51548) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Jefferson City
On Jefferson Ave at Magazine Street, in the median on Jefferson Ave.
Originally a part of Jefferson Parish, this area was incorporated as Jefferson City in 1850. By 1860 its population was 5,107, including 131 free black citizens. It was annexed by the City of New Orleans in 1870. — Map (db m13039) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Jefferson Davis
On First Street at Camp Street on First Street.
Born at Fairview, KY. June 3, 1808 U.S. Army 1828-1835 Served in Black Hawk War Congressman U.S. 1845-1846 Colonel Mississippi Volunteers in War with Mexico Rendered Gallant Service in the taking of Monterey and Buena Vista where he was . . . — Map (db m51521) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — John Julian McKeithenMay 28, 1918 - June 4, 1999 — Governor of Louisiana 1964-1972 —
On Sugar Bowl Drive near Poydras Street.
"I wasn't born to material wealth, nor do I have claim to an aristocratic name. But if I am elected governor, it will prove any mother's son can aspire to the highest political office of the state. I've come this far because you the people have . . . — Map (db m105948) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Judge Fred J. Cassibry Square
On Royal Street at St. Louis Street on Royal Street.
Fred J. Cassibry (1918-1996), U.S. Navy WWII veteran, served on the New Orleans City Council, Orleans District Court, U.S. District Court, E.D. La., and the Louisiana Economic Development and Gaming Corporation. Throughout his 40 years of public . . . — Map (db m51333) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Julia Row
On Julia Street at Camp Street, on the left when traveling west on Julia Street.
Julia Row Thirteen Identical Residences Erected 1832-33 for the New Orleans Building Company James H. Dakin, Architect Alexander T. Wood, Supervising Architect Daniel H. Twogood, Builder Many prominent families lived here and the . . . — Map (db m102529) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Kossuth1802- 1894
On St Charles Avenue at Lafayette Street, on the left when traveling south on St Charles Avenue.
Here on March 30, 1852 Louis Kossuth Governor of Hungary leader of the 1848 revolution addressed the citizens of New Orleans Hungarians of Louisiana, Arpadhon Hungarians Worldwide 2002 — Map (db m134555) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — LaBranche Buildings
On Saint Peter Street at Royal Street on Saint Peter Street.
On this site in 1734 stood the residence of François Fleuriau, Attorney General of the Superior Council of the French colony of Louisiana, a native of Rennes in Brittany. This building erected in 1840 as one of a group of eleven by Madame Melasie . . . — Map (db m51415) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Lafayette Cemetery No. 1
On Washington Avenue.
Established in 1833 by the City of Lafayette The square was acquired from Cornelius Hurst and the cemetery laid out by Benjamin Buisson, city surveyor. This was part of the Livaudais Plantation which had been subdivided into city squares in . . . — Map (db m51493) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Lafayette Square
On St. Charles Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
(Obverse) Planned in 1788 as a public place for Faubourg Ste. Marie, the City's first suburb, this Square honors American Revolutionary War Hero, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette. He declined the invitation . . . — Map (db m20965) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Lake Pontchartrain
On Lakeshore Drive 0.2 miles east of Canal Boulevard, on the left when traveling east.
English: Traveled on by Iberville, 1699 and named for French Minister of Marine. Indians called it Okwa-ta, wide water. First port of embarkation was at the site where Bayou St. John flows from this lake. It was first water travel route to . . . — Map (db m99490) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Lambert-Gallier Inn of CourtLambert & Lambert, Attorneys at Law
On Saint Charles Avenue.
In 1836, renowned New Orleans architect James Gallier built these two buildings, 631 & 635 St. Charles Avenue along with the one on the right and the one that was on the corner for Samuel Morse for the sum of $20,000.00. In 1978-79, after . . . — Map (db m51595) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Le – Carpentier/Beauregard House
On Chartres Street.
Erected 1826 by Joseph Le Carpentier Auctioneer, (Grandfather of Paul Morphy World’s Chess Champion). Francois Correjolles, Architect. James Lambert, Builder. Sold in 1833 to John A. Merle who built the adjacent garden which . . . — Map (db m51314) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Le Pavillon HotelA Historic Site
On Poydras Street west of Carroll Street, on the right when traveling west.
This square of ground on which Le Pavillon Hotel now stands has had many historical associations over the years, which together form an interesting chapter in the romantic story of New Orleans. In the early eighteen hundreds, this property . . . — Map (db m117319) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Literary Landmark540 St. Peter
On Saint Peter Street at Chartres Street on Saint Peter Street.
Residence in the 1920s of Sherwood Anderson, author of “Winesburg, Ohio.” While living here, Anderson hosted literary salons that powered the careers of William Faulkner, Gertrude Stein, Carl Sandburg and John Dos Passos. Dedicated . . . — Map (db m51546) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — London Avenue Canal Floodwall Breach
On Warrington Drive at Maribeau Ave., in the median on Warrington Drive.
On August 29, 2005, tidal surge from Hurricane Katrina exposed design flaws in the London Avenue Canal floodwall, part of the Federal Flood Protection System. The floodwater killed many Gentilly residents and their beloved pets. The breach was one . . . — Map (db m46064) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong1901-1971 — Louis Armstrong Park —
Near St. Ann Street west of N. Rampart Street when traveling north.
His trumpet and heart brought everlasting joy to the world, embodying jazz as The Pulse of Life. In appreciation National Park Service/Tourism Cares April 18, 2008. — Map (db m21068) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Louis J. DufilhoLa Pharmacie Francaise — Max Samson —
On Chartres Street.
In this shop on this site Louis J. Dufilho Practiced pharmacy as one of the first of his profession to have been licensed in the United States (no later than 1816). Pharmacist Dufilho symbolizes the beginning of a system of certifying the . . . — Map (db m51419) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Louisiana Spanish-American War Monument
On Loyola Avenue at Poydras Street, in the median on Loyola Avenue.
Spanish War Veterans 1898-1902 USA, Cuba, Porto-Rico, Philippine Islands

Erected by the State of Louisiana in honor of her sons who served in The Army and Navy of The United States in The War with Spain, The Philippine Insurrection and the . . . — Map (db m115966) WM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Lower Pontalba Building — Pontalba Buildings National Historic Landmark —
On Chartres Street at St. Ann St., on the right when traveling west on Chartres Street.
[Logo of the Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission] Erected 1850 - 1851 by Micaela Almonster Baroness De Pontalba working first with James Gallier, architect, and then with Henry Howard, architect. Samuel Stewart, builder. . . . — Map (db m34846) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Maison Hospitalière
On Dauphine Street.
Maison Hospitalière, or “Hospitality House,” is a non-profit, non sectarian nursing home. It is dedicated to providing quality, individualized assistance in a homelike atmosphere to elderly women and men without regard to their creed, . . . — Map (db m51360) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Maisonette Creole
On Prytania Street.
In 1832 this site was a part of Jefferson Parish and was known as the Livaudais Plantation. In the late 90’s it was occupied as an English Apothecary and owned by R.N. Girland. Restored by Fannie Mae Goldman, 1960 — Map (db m51495) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Margaret's Place and Walk / Lower Garden District
On Prytania Street at Clio St., on the left when traveling south on Prytania Street.
Margaret’s Place and Walk Margaret’s Place and Walk honors Irish Immigrant Margaret Gaffney Haughery (1813-1882), who devoted her life to orphaned children and the needy. An orphan herself, Margaret lost her husband and baby to illness. . . . — Map (db m38640) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Marie Laveau
Near Basin Street.
This Greek revival tomb is reputed burial place of this notorious "Voodoo Queen". A mystic cult, Voodooism, of African origin, was brought to this city from Santo Domingo and flourished in 19th century. Marie Laveau was the most widely known of many . . . — Map (db m13699) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Marvin E. ThamesPresidential Residence
"This residence and grounds are named in honor of Marvin E. Thames, Ph.D., who served this college in the following manner: Director of Isaac Delgado Trades School from 1954 to 1958; Dean and President of Delgado Trades and Technical Institute from . . . — Map (db m86198) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Mater Dolorosa Church
On South Carrollton Avenue near Plum Street, on the right when traveling west.
This church came into being in 1899, when the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, established in the Town of Carrollton in 1848, and the Mater Dolorosa German Church, which dated from 1871, were united into a single parish. With the . . . — Map (db m103547) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Mayor Isaac W. Patton House
On Washington Avenue.
Described in 1859 as “a handsome cottage residence,” this Greek Revival house was erected for Lothrop Lewis Smith who purchased the site in 1853. It was his residence until he left New Orleans in 1859 and sold the house in 1861 to Mrs. . . . — Map (db m51524) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Merieult House
On Royal Street.
Erected in 1792 on the site of the first barracks forges and workshops of the Company of the Indies, the house was the only building in the area of destruction to escape the Great Fire of 1794. In 1832 it was remodeled in the style of the period . . . — Map (db m51331) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Metairie And Gentilly Ridges
On Moss Street at North Carrollton Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Moss Street.
First highway through this city led from lower Kenner to Chef Menteur. Mississippi River, during prehistoric days, overflowed into Lake Pontchartrain. The receding waters created these ridges and their accompanying bayous which connected, at City . . . — Map (db m92002) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Metairie Cemetery
Near Pontchartrain Boulevard 0.2 miles north of Metarie Road (Louisiana Highway 611-9), on the left when traveling north.
Dedicated for cemetery purposes July 2, 1872 Recognized as one of the world's most unique and beautiful cemeteries Approximately 150 acres Formerly the Metairie Race Course Scene of the famous match races between LeCompte and . . . — Map (db m87275) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Molly MarineNovember 10, 1943 — "Free a Marine to Fight" —
On Elk Place at Canal Street, in the median on Elk Place.
Rededicated July 1, 1966 in honor of Women Marines who serve their country in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Marine Corps. [Sculptor: Enrique Alferez] — Map (db m21557) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Multiple Burials
On Basin Street.
One of the oldest burial grounds in the Mississippi Valley, St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 is still in use. From its beginning in 1789 it has been the custom to make multiple burials in the tombs and vaults when space in a tomb is re-used the remains of . . . — Map (db m51653) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — My Bourbon Home
On Bourbon Street.
New Orleans maps, as early as 1720, all reveal the presence of earlier buildings on this historic site. During the time of Spanish Rule, after the Great Conflagrations of 1788 and 1794, Casa Quinones was erected in 1795 by Don Estevan de Quinones, a . . . — Map (db m51377) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — National Shrine of Our Lady of Prompt Succor
On State Street 0.2 miles south of South Claiborne Avenue (U.S. 90), on the left when traveling south.
On January 7, 1815, the eve of the Battle of New Orleans, Ursulines and townsfolk prayed for victory, before the Virgin's statue, now in this National Shrine of Our Lady of Prompt Succor. Ever after, first St. Louis Cathedral and since 1851 in the . . . — Map (db m104776) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — New Orleans
On Decatur Street south of St Ann Street, on the right when traveling north.
First sighted as Indian portage to Lake Pontchartrain and Gulf in 1699 by Bienville and Iberville. Founded by Bienville in 1718; named by him in honor of the Duke of Orleans, Regent of France. Called the Crescent City because of location in bend of . . . — Map (db m12679) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — New Orleans and the Domestic Slave Trade
On Esplanade Avenue at Chartres Street, in the median on Esplanade Avenue.
(front side) In 1808, the US Congress abolished the international slave trade, contributing to a significant increase in the domestic slave trade, or the trafficking of human beings within the boundaries of the United States. During the . . . — Map (db m117438) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Newcomb Pottery Garden
On Newcomb Place at Newcomb Circle, on the right when traveling south on Newcomb Place.
The Newcomb Pottery Garden honors the artistic legacy of Newcomb Pottery, a quasi-commercial enterprise established in the late 19th century in association with the curriculum of Newcomb College...During its forty-five years in existence, the . . . — Map (db m114188) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Nicholas Bertoli Building
On Chartres Street.
Erected 1842 by Samuel Holden and John Cuminger, builders for Nicholas Bertoli, grocer. Occupied as the Pacific Concert Salon, 1855-1876. Owned by the family of Jean Louis Tissot, 1876-1897. Its granite columns are typical of the 1840’s Greek . . . — Map (db m51387) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Ninth Ward WWI Memorial
On Burgundy Street north of Alavar Street, on the right when traveling north.
Erected A.D. 1919 by the people of this the Ninth Ward in honor of its citizens who were enlisted in combative service and in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice for the triumph of right over might in the Great World War. White men . . . — Map (db m95670) WM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Old Ursuline Convent1749-1753
On Chartres Street near Ursuline Street.
. . . — Map (db m51297) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Olivier Plantation House
On Chartres Street at Mazant Street, on the left when traveling south on Chartres Street.
Here stood the Olivier House from ca. 1820 to 1949. Built by Paris-born David Olivier, the large Creole-style residence presided over a sugar cane plantation for barely a decade. In 1835 the house became heart of the St. Mary's Orphan Boys Asylum, . . . — Map (db m95749) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Original Old Absinthe Bar
On Bourbon Street, on the right when traveling east on Bourbon Street.
Est. 1806 A tradition in the french quarters. This is the bar known to travelers the world over. From it came the famous absinthe drip. The bar where Jean E Pierre LaFitte, Andrew Jackson, Mark Twain and other celebrities were . . . — Map (db m54858) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Original Pierre Maspero’s Slave ExchangeEst. – 1788
On Chartres Street at Saint Louis Street on Chartres Street.
Within this historic structures slaves were sold and Andrew Jackson met with the Lafitte Brothers and planned the defense for the historic and epic Battle of New Orleans. At this monumental battle the British surrendered to American troops commanded . . . — Map (db m51385) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Orleans Battalion of Artillery
On Basin Street.
Within this burial memorial rest some of the gallant defenders of New Orleans, members of the battalion which fought in honor on the plains of Chalmette on January 8 1815 against the British invaders. Date of construction is unknown. Restored in . . . — Map (db m51866) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Our Lady of the Rosary Rectory
On Moss Street north of Grande Rte. Saint John Street, on the right when traveling north.
About 1834, Évariste Blanc had this Greek Revival mansion built on his Bayou St. John estate. His widow, Marie Fannie Labatut Blanc, planned to give the property to the Archdiocese of New Orleans for a parish church as early as 1855 .Fifty years . . . — Map (db m104705) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Pat O’Brien’s
On St, Peter Street.
This historical building that is home to Pat O’Brien’s Bar was built in 1791 as a private home that became the first Spanish Theater in the United States. It was later purchased by the Deflechie family as their residence until the building was . . . — Map (db m51376) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Pecquet Building
On Royal Street.
In 1835 Louis Pecquet purchased this site and likely replaced the existing Spanish Colonial buildings shortly thereafter with the present Greek Revival shop-residence. During the late 1830s, the shop housed a dry goods store, then a milliner and . . . — Map (db m51599) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Pedesclaux-Lemonnier House
On Royal Street at St. Peter Street on Royal Street.
Pierre Pedesclaux, prominent notary purchased this site in 1795 and began construction of this house. Its design is attributed to Barthelemy Lafon architect, whose office was here in 1805. Purchased in 1811 by Dr. Yves Réné Lemonnier and François . . . — Map (db m51323) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Pierre Maspero’s Exchange
On Saint Peter Street near Chartres Street.
where defenses of New Orleans were planned, 1814-15. — Map (db m51549) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Pitot HouseBuilt Late 18th Century
On Moss Street 0.2 miles south of Esplanade Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Home of James Pitot, who was first Mayor of incorporated City of New Orleans, 1804-1805. Also Builder of one of the City’s first cotton presses. — Map (db m86023) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Plessy v. FergusonPress Street Railroad Yards — Site of the Arrest of Homer Adolph Plessy —
On Press Street at Royal Street, on the right when traveling south on Press Street.
(Side 1) On June 7, 1892, Homer Aldolph Plessy was removed from the East Louisiana Railroad train and arrested by Detective C.C. Cain at the corner of Royal and Press St. He was charged with violating the 1890 Louisiana Separate Car Act . . . — Map (db m95889) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Plique – La Branche House
On St. Peter Street.
Erected about 1825 by Jean Felix Pinson and Maurice Pizetta, builder, sold by them in 1827 to Giraud M. Plique. Acquired in 1829 by Jean Baptiste La Branche, planter of St. Charles Parish, and occupied as his city residence until his death in . . . — Map (db m51365) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Protestant Section
Near Basin Street.
In 1805 an area at the rear of the cemetery was assigned to Christ Church (Episcopal) for the burial of non-Catholics. More extensive originally, all that remains of the Protestant section is the area between these wall vaults, the brick walls to . . . — Map (db m51644) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Provincial Motel(Site)
On Chartres Street.
Land grant from King Louis XV of France to Bienville’s Lieutenant, Louis Boucher de Granpré circa, 1725. In 1775 the tract was sold to Chevalier Jean Lavillebeuvre, “Sieur de Garrios”, Indian agent for the Colony from 1780 to 1797. . . . — Map (db m51526) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Quartier General de la Garde Municipale
On Pirate Alley.
Site Quartier General de la Garde Municipale 1726 Site & Walls & El Calabozo 1770 Donated to the Louisiana State Museum By W. Ratcliffe Irby 1922 — Map (db m51487) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — R.N. Girling’s “English Apothecary”
On Prytania Street.
In this building Robert Nash Girling established his “English Apothecary” which he operated from the 1880s-1890s. An Englishman by birth, Girling studied pharmacy in England and at the Ecole de Pharmacie in Paris. In the early 1870s he . . . — Map (db m51661) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Rayne Memorial United Methodist Church
On Saint Charles Avenue at General Taylor Street, on the right when traveling east on Saint Charles Avenue.
Erected 1875 for the St. Charles Avenue Methodist Church South Charles L. Hillger, Architect James Cox, Builder Robert Walker Rayne purchased the site and made a major contribution to the cost of its erection in memory of his son . . . — Map (db m88787) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Rebirth
Near LaSalle Street near Sugar Bowl Drive.
On Monday, September 25, 2006, Steve Gleason was responsible for one of the most dramatic moments in New Orleans Saints history. He blocked a punt in the first quarter of the team's return to the Superdome following Hurricane Katrina. That night, . . . — Map (db m105944) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Residence of Don Manuel LanzosCaptain of the Spanish Army — Madam John’s Legacy —
On Dumaine Street.
Erected 1788 in the French colonial style Robert Jones, an American, builder. Site of the birthplace of Renato Beluche (1781-1860) a lieutenant of Jean Lafitte’s Baratarians who participated in the Battle of New Orleans Later Admiral of the . . . — Map (db m51319) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Rillieux – Waldhorn House
On Royal Street at Conti Street on Royal Street.
Erected 1795-1800 For Vincent Rillieux – 1740-1800 New Orleans merchant and great-grandfather of Edgar Degas, noted French artist The design of the house is attributed to Barthelemy Lafon – 1769-1820 architect, builder, surveyor . . . — Map (db m51335) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Robert E. Lee1807 – 1870
On Lee Circle near Howard Avenue. Reported permanently removed.
Commander in Chief Confederate States of America 1861 – 1865 Placed by Julia Jackson Chapter No. 4 Children of the Confederacy — Map (db m51593) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Saint Augustine Church, New Orleans — Louisiana African American Heritage Trail —
On St. Claude Avenue south of Governor Nicholls Street, on the left when traveling east.
In 1841, this parish was established for the inhabitants of Faubourg Tremé. The joint beneficence of Bishop Antoine Blanc and the Ursuline nuns made possible acquisition of property and erection of the church. Until 1925, the buildings of the . . . — Map (db m35056) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Saint Joseph Church
On Tulane Avenue (U.S. 90) east of South Roman Street, on the right when traveling east.
This building replaced an earlier church, erected in 1844 on Common St. (Tulane Ave.) opposite the Charity Hospital of Louisiana. Ground-breaking for the present edifice took place May 9, 1869. Construction continued intermittently until . . . — Map (db m104713) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Saint Maurice Church
On St. Maurice Avenue north of Chartres Street, on the left when traveling south.
In 1852, Most Rev. Antoine Blanc, newly raised to the rank of first Archbishop of New Orleans, founded St. Maurice Parish to serve Fabourg La Course below the Ursuline Convent, then on Jourdan Ave. L'Abbé Napoleon J. Perché, convent chaplain and . . . — Map (db m99226) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Saint Patrick's Church
On Camp Street, on the right when traveling north.
Established 1833 by Bishop Leo De Neckere, C.M. This church, completed in 1840 during the pastorate of Father James I. Mullon, is the oldest parish church outside the French Quarter. In 1850 St. Patrick's served as . . . — Map (db m55702) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Saint Theresa of Avila Church
On Coliseum Street at Erato Street on Coliseum Street.
When the Faubourgs of uptown New Orleans were subdivided in 1838, Bishop Antoine Blanc accepted a donation from the estate of Mrs. Theresa Perie Saulet, of a square in Faubourg Saulet "for charitable purposes." It was her wish that a church bear . . . — Map (db m104904) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Shangarai Chasset - Gates of Mercy
On North Rampart Street, in the median.
Site of the first permanent Jewish house of worship in the State of Louisiana, Gates of Mercy Synagogue, 1845; located at 410-420 N. Rampart St. Gates of Mercy, chartered by the State in 1827, confirmed the abolition of the Code Noir, which had . . . — Map (db m13167) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Sidney Joseph Bechet1897-1959
Near North Rampart Street.
First Panel: This bronze bust of Sidney Bechet is a faithful copy of the original by French sculptor Abel Chrétien. The original erected in 1960, a year after Bechet’s death in Juan-Les-Fins, France. This town was named in 1994 as a . . . — Map (db m21987) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Site of First Louisiana School1725
On St. Ann Street.
On this site Father Raphael de Luxembourg Capuchin Pastor of the parish Church of St. Louis (later the Cathedral) opened the first school in French Colonial Louisiana. Classes in reading, writing, music, French, Latin and religion were conducted for . . . — Map (db m51321) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Site of First U.S. District Court
On Royal Street south of St Philip Street, on the right when traveling south.
In 1792 the Spanish Colonial Government built a boy's public school on this site. After the Louisiana Purchase it served as the first United States District Court of the Louisiana Territory. Here in 1815, after the Battle of New Orleans General . . . — Map (db m84177) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Site Of Higgins' Industries at Delgado Trade School
On City Park Avenue at North Anthony Street, on the right when traveling west on City Park Avenue.
On this site between August 1941 and August 1945, the City Park Plant of Higgins Industries, Incorporated mass produced more than 12,000 landing craft and approximately 200 PT boats for the Allied Forces. The Higgins landing boats revolutionized . . . — Map (db m87552) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Site of Kolly TownhouseFirst Ursuline Convent and Charity Hospital
On Chartres Street at Bienville Street on Chartres Street.
Jean-Daniel Kolly, banking councillor to the Elector of Bavaria and large investor in the Company of the Indies, had a townhouse built on this site shortly after the founding of New Orleans in 1718. The Sainte-Reyne, concession upriver, controlled . . . — Map (db m51381) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Site of the St. Charles Theaters1835-1967
On Saint Charles Avenue at Poydras Street on Saint Charles Avenue.
The first St. Charles Theater, built by James Caldwell with Antonio Mondelli as architect, opened on this site November 30, 1835. It seated over 4,000 and was one of the largest theaters in the world. The American premieres of Bellini’s Norma took . . . — Map (db m51592) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Solomon Northup"12 Years A Slave"
On Esplanade Avenue near Chartres Street, in the median.
Located in the Faubourg Marigny, from the corner of Esplanade Ave. and Chartres St., is the former site of Theophilus Freeman's notorious slave pen (demolished after the Civil War) where Solomon Northup, a free man of color from New York, was sold . . . — Map (db m117277) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Aloysius College1869-1969
On Esplanade Avenue north of North Rampart Street, on the right when traveling north.
Founded in 1869 by the Brothers of the Sacred Heart on Chartres Street in the Vieux Carré, St. Aloysius College moved in 1892 to a building on Rampart Street, then in 1925 to a new building at the corner of Esplanade Avenue and Rampart Street, St. . . . — Map (db m102859) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Alphonsus Church
On Constance Street west of St. Andrew Street, on the right when traveling west.
The first of three great churches built by The Redemptorists for Catholics in the Irish Channel. St. Alphonsus for the Irish, St. Mary's Assumption for the Germans and Notre Dame de bon Secours for the French. Design by Baltimore architect Louis . . . — Map (db m105018) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church
On St. Charles Avenue at State Street, on the right when traveling east on St. Charles Avenue.
Erected 1928-1930. W.W Van Meter, Architect and Builder. A gift to the congregation from Alice Affleck Bloomfield in memory of her husband William B. Bloomfield John Samuel Land, Pastor, 1917-1959 Stained glass windows by Oidtmann . . . — Map (db m114224) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Charles Line
On Lee Circle at Howard Avenue on Lee Circle.
The New Orleans & Carrollton R.R. Co. began passenger train service on September 26, 1835. Steam-powered trains and mule drawn cars transported New Orleanians between Canal and Carrollton via St. Charles Avenue. Improved technology led to the . . . — Map (db m51594) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
Near Basin Street.
The oldest extant cemetery in New Orleans. Established by Royal Spanish land grant August 14, 1789. Originally outside city limits and double its present size this sacred ground reflects the early culture and history of the Crescent City. A small . . . — Map (db m13501) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Patrick's
On Camp St, on the right when traveling north.
Parish was the second established in New Orleans The first church on this site was dedicated April 21, 1833 The cornerstone of the present edifice was laid July 1, 1838, by Bishop Antoine Blanc. During the pastorate of Father James . . . — Map (db m55572) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — 74000936 — St. Patrick's Church
On Camp Street, on the right when traveling north.
Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1975 National Park Service United States Department . . . — Map (db m55149) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — St. Peter Guest House
On St. Peter Street at Burgundy Street, on the right when traveling north on St. Peter Street.
1005 St. Peter Guest House circa 1805 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m102530) HM

254 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 54
Paid Advertisement