Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Saint Charles Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Skirmish of Boutte Station Marker image, Touch for more information
By Renee Simpson, August 9, 2012
Skirmish of Boutte Station Marker
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Boutte — Skirmish of Boutte Station
Union train with sixty men ambushed by Confederate force of Louisiana militia and volunteers on September 4, 1862. Train escaped to New Orleans. Fourteen Union soldiers killed and twenty-two wounded in the skirmish. — Map (db m58214) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Des Allemands — Battle of des Allemands
Le district des Allemands, settled by Germans about 1720, the scene of numerous skirmishes between Confederate guerillas and Union forces, 1862-63. Most famous skirmish resulted in capture of an entire detachment of Union soldiers on September 4, . . . — Map (db m58213) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Destrahan — Saint Charles Borromeo Church
Fifty-three years before the Declaration of Independence, five years before New Orleans had a permanent church, immigrants to the German Coast built on the west bank a log chapel to acknowledge their dependence upon God and to express their thanks . . . — Map (db m85817) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Destrahan — Settlement Of The German Coast
Of the thousands that departed France, only 300 German immigrants trickled in to the French Colony of Louisiana in 1721, deluded by John Law's Company of the West propaganda describing Louisiana as "a land filled with gold, silver, copper and lead . . . — Map (db m86095) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Destrahan — St. Charles Borromeo "Little Red Church"
First constructed of logs about 1740. Burned and rebuilt, 1806. Famous riverboat landmark, twenty-five miles from New Orleans where boat captains traditionally paid off their crews. Again burned and rebuilt about 1921. — Map (db m85770) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Destrehan — "Denver"
The 48-foot Louisiana Lugger Style Wooden Tugboat is believed to be one of the last surviving of its kind. It was built in Bayou Gauche, Louisiana in 1953 by Joseph "Yep" Dufrene for Victor Matherne. In service: 1953-1980 Donated to St. Charles . . . — Map (db m100387) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Destrehan — Destrehan Manor House
Constructed 1787-1790 for Robert de Logny, Inherited by Jean Noel d’Estrehan 1800. Bought from heirs of Pierre A. Rost in 1914 by Mexican Petroleum Co. Donated 1972 to River Road Historical Society by American Oil Co. — Map (db m51607) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Destrehan — George Prince Ferry MemorialOctober 20, 1976
Marker 1 On October 20, 1976, the worst ferry disaster in the history of the United States occurred on the Mississippi River in St. Charles Parish. Seventy-seven lives were lost. The people of Louisiana will never forget you. . . . — Map (db m109564) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Destrehan — Hale Boggs Bridge
The Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement - 1984 Hale Boggs Bridge Awarded in a National Competition by the American Society of Civil Engineers. — Map (db m109613) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Destrehan — Mule Barn
Originally erected in 1830 at Glendale Plantation, Lucy, Louisiana. Donated by the Lanaux family, moved and reassembled at Destrehan Plantation in 1997. Dedicated by the River Road Historical Society March 28, 1999. — Map (db m51606) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Hahnville — Fashion Plantation
Home of General Richard Taylor, son of Zachary Taylor, Louisiana statesman and member of the 1861 Secession Convention. Commanded Louisiana District, 1862-64; defeated Banks at Battle of Mansfield, 1864. Federals plundered home in 1862. — Map (db m58215) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Hahnville — Flagville
Named for O.J. Flagg in 1870; now a part of Hahnville. Letter left here by Tonti in 1686 with Quinipissa chief for LaSalle. Taensa Village, 1713. De Veuve, French Concession, 1718. Site included grant to Joseph Roi de Villere, 1765. — Map (db m58216) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Hahnville — Home Place
Built in 1790s, this French Colonial raised cottage is of West Indies bousillage construction. Owners included Labranche, Fortier, and Gaillaird. Keller family ownership since 1885. National Historic Landmark. — Map (db m58211) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Killona — Les Allemands
German immigrants, led by Karl D'Arensbourg, joined other Germans from John Law's Arkansas concession to settle here in 1722. Chapel erected by 1724. These industrious German farmers saved New Orleans from famine. — Map (db m85346) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Luling — Hale Boggs Bridge
The Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement - 1984 Hale Boggs Bridge Awarded in a National Competition by the American Society of Civil Engineers. — Map (db m109557) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), New Sarpy — L'Anse Aux OutardesBustards Cove, 1722
Settled by Canadians, French. Bienville came here in 1699 from Lake Pontchartrain using small waterways, portage. LeSeur and Canadians used the route and were met here by Iberville and Tonti Feb. 24, 1700. It became part of the "Second German Coast" . . . — Map (db m100611) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), Saint Rose — Elkinsville-Freetown
After the Civil War in 1873, Palmer Elkins, a free man of color, purchased property, tracts 8, 9, & 10 for $943.50. Mr. Elkins was the President of the St. Mary Benevolent Association and helped to educate freed men of color. In 1880, he asked . . . — Map (db m100384) HM
Louisiana (Saint Charles Parish), St. Rose — Labranche Plantation Dependency
This late eighteenth-early nineteenth century Creole house is of statewide significance because of its exceptional Federal woodwork and its rarity as a plantation dependency. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m85525) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement