Martin Duralde, commandant at Opelousas Post from 1795 to 1803, was the leading political figure in southwestern LA the last years of the Spanish Era. Duralde occupied and developed a 1423 acre tract along the Upper Teche by 1781. He served as . . . — — Map (db m98859) HM
This world famous institution is recognized for its role in the preservation and restoration of our Cajun culture and heritage. It ranks today as one of Breaux Bridge's most prominent landmarks — — Map (db m49067) HM
Scholastique Picou Breaux founded our wonderful city when she was just 33 years old. A determined Acadian woman, she drew up Plan de la Ville du Pont Breaux, the plan for the Village of Breaux Bridge. Her plan included land for a school, a church, a . . . — — Map (db m85949) HM
Breaux Bridge's first Catholic chapel was built in 1841. In 1847, St. Bernard's Parish was established and our first substantial church was erected in 1857.
This church, built in 1933-34 by local craftsmen, was the pinnacle of Rev. P.A. Borel's . . . — — Map (db m85948) HM
From 1862-1863 Camp Pratt was official Confederate camp of conscription and instruction for South Louisiana. At one time as many as 3,000 conscripts here. A small compound for Union prisoners of war also located at the camp. — — Map (db m49295) HM
Approximately 100 yards to the West is the probable resting place of General Louis Hebert, C.S.A. Born in Iberville Parish in 1820, Hebert was graduated from West Point in 1845 third in his class. After an army service of two years, he resigned to . . . — — Map (db m84916) HM
Charles Durand, Pre-Civil War sugar planter, credited with planting this alley.
In legend a family wedding party rode down the alley canopied by giant spider webs dusted gold and silver. Ca 1795-99 Spanish Grant to Jacques Fontenette. — — Map (db m101673) HM
The original Deportation Cross, near Grand-Pré National Historic Site in Nova Scotia is located in the vicinity of the embarkation of the victims of the Acadian Diaspora of 1755. Dedicated on July 24, 1924.
La Croix originelle de la déportation . . . — — Map (db m85293) HM
Evangeline, the prototype of the Acadian maiden, was immortalized by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in his epic poem of the same name. The monument was donated by Delores del Rio after she starred in the motion picture production of Evangeline which was . . . — — Map (db m94314) HM
Longfellow's poem "Evangeline" immortalized the tragedy of the Acadian exile from Nova Scotia in 1755. This oak marks the legendary meeting place of Emmeline Labiche and Louis Arceneaux, the counterparts of Evangeline and Gabriel. — — Map (db m66354) HM
He was a man of great social consciousness.
In works like Evangeline and Hiawatha
and his collection of anti-slavery poems
Longfellow helped to preserve cultural memory.
From remarks by Dr. Layne Longfellow at the unveiling in . . . — — Map (db m66363) HM
A native of St. Martinville, Simon studied law at Harvard under Joseph Story and Simon Greenleaf, earning his degree in 1846. As 14th Judicial District Judge from 1853 to 1865, Simon was to become the second of four generations of judges. While . . . — — Map (db m66359) HM
On this site lie buried officers of The Attakapas Militia serving under General Bernardo Galvez In the march to and capture of Baton Rouge and Manchac September 1779. Commandant Alexandre-Chevalier de Clouet Major Louis Du Crest Corporal Jean . . . — — Map (db m104468) HM WM
One of the oldest in the state. Established in 1765 by Rev. Jean Francois, Capuchin priest and missionary. It is just the same as when it was built having been repaired but not changed. — — Map (db m71584) HM
City developed c.1795 ~ c.1890 through unusual semi-feudal arrangement where town property holders paid an "annual and perpetual" rent to the congregation of St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church. — — Map (db m66367) HM
This building erected 1835-40. As an inn it welcomed travelers and was a center for the town's social activities. Since its purchase in 1899 by the Sisters of Mercy, it has been used as a private school. It was placed on the National Register of . . . — — Map (db m85292) HM