Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Tangipahoa Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Pass Manchac Marker image, Touch for more information
January 7, 2016
Pass Manchac Marker
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Akers — Pass Manchac
S. boundary of Tangipahoa Parish. Part of line dividing Isle of Orleans from Florida Parishes. Boundary between Br. West Florida and Spanish La., 1763-83; Spanish West Florida and French La., 1803; U.S. and Spanish West Florida, 1803-10. — Map (db m92124) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Amite City — Blythewood Plantation
This turn-of-the-century home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Daniel Hardy Sanders built this Colonial Revival style masterpiece to overlook his 400 acre plantation. From the columned porch, guest enter into the elegance of a . . . — Map (db m49692) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Amite City — Church of the IncarnationProtestant Episcopal
Incorporated in 1871, church was admitted into union. Heirs of John Bach donated the present site. In 1872, the Rev. Herman Cope Duncan, missionary to the area, made first rector. — Map (db m49683) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa parish), Hammond — City Of Hammond
Railroad came through in 1854. Became a shoemaking center for the Confederacy during the Civil War. Town was planned in the 1860's, and by early twentieth century was known as "Strawberry Capital of America." — Map (db m92122) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — Friendship Circle
Friendship Circle, designed by Edward Avery McIlhenny, Tabasco entrepreneur and naturalist, serves as the focus of a landscape plan created for the Art Deco buildings that transformed a family farm into a modern college campus between 1939 nd 1941. . . . — Map (db m102968) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — Grace Memorial Episcopal Church
First service: March 12, 1876, by Bishop Joseph Wilmer. Rev. Herman Duncan first Rector. Land donated by C.E. Cate. Anonymous N.Y. churchwoman benefactor. Dedicated 1888 in memory of Mertie A. Cate. — Map (db m86399) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — Hammond Junior College
Original site of Hammond Junior College, predecessor of Southeastern La. Univ. Funded by S. Tangipahoa tax. Opened Sept. 14, 1925 w/40 students and a faculty of 5. Linus A. Sims was the first president. — Map (db m49772) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — Mt. Vernon Walnut
This tree grew from a seed of a walnut tree at Geo. Washington's home at Mt. Vernon. Planted February 22, 1932 by the American Legion Auxiliary and Boy Scouts of Hammond in celebration of Washington's bicentennial. Was transplanted in this . . . — Map (db m49776) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — Peter Hammond1798 - 1870
Under this oak is buried Peter Hammond, of Sweden, who founded Hammond, La., about 1818. Nearby are the graves of his wife, three daughters, and a favorite slave boy — Map (db m49774) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — Site of 1st Classroom Bldg.
In 1927 Hammond Jr. College bought the 15 acre Hunter Leake Estate at the N. end of Pine. An enlarged servants' bldg. provided classrooms, a library, and labs. In 1928 H. J. C. became Southeastern Louisiana College. — Map (db m102965) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — The Republic of West Florida
The Florida Parishes of Louisiana were not a part of the Louisiana Purchase. Due to its strategic significance the region remained a part of the Spanish Empire. In 1810 residents initiated an armed insurrection known as the West Florida Revolt. . . . — Map (db m108900) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Independence — Independence
Known as Uncle Sam when settled in 1830's. Italian families began to arrive in early 1880's. Because of this heritage, the town has come to be known as "Little Italy". Downtown historic district created by city in 1982. — Map (db m76613) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Kentwood — Roncal
Site of Civil War home of Charles Étienne Arthur Gayarré Louisiana historian, lawyer, judge, legislator, & Secretary of State, 1846-1853. Grandson of Étienne de Boré. — Map (db m76614) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Kentwood — Thirty-First Parallel
N. boundary of Tangipahoa Parish. Line established by Pinckney Treaty, Oct. 27, 1795, dividing southern United States and Spanish West Florida. Recognized U.S. claim dating back to American Revolution, 1783. — Map (db m92167) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Loranger — Loranger High School
Original structure, 1912. Present structure 1930. A community, civic and educational center. Built under the direction of W. G. Cory, School Board Member ~ J. F. Corkern Principal. Marker donated by Loranger High School Alumni Association, organized . . . — Map (db m50379) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Ponchatoula — 1862 Train Wreck
Near this spot on February 27, 1862 a southbound lumber train collided with a northbound troop train carrying men of Col. Edmond J. Goode's 7th Mississippi Infantry in route to join the Confederate army in Tennessee. The lumber train had failed to . . . — Map (db m97677) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Ponchatoula — PFC Raymond "Mike" Clausen, Jr.Medal of Honor USMC — 14 October 1947 - 30 May 2004
Citation For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 263, Marine Aircraft Group 16, First Marine Aircraft Wing, during operations . . . — Map (db m99704) HM WM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Ponchatoula — Ponchatoula Depot
Original depot built c. 1854 by New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad (later Illinois Central). Burned when Union forces captured town in March 1863. Rebuilt c. 1865. Present depot built in 1894 and remodeled in the 1920's. — Map (db m92123) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — Camp Moore
One of the principal Louisiana Confederate induction centers and training camps during the war for southern independence. Named for Governor Thomas Overton Moore. Over 400 soldiers buried in the camp cemetery. — Map (db m49798) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — 1 — Camp Moore #1Walking Tour Stop 1
Standing at this point and looking to your south toward the open field, you are looking at the western edge of the parade ground. To your right is the current railroad that once was used by the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad, the . . . — Map (db m92331) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — 2 — Camp Moore #2Walking Tour Stop 2
Face the field to the south. This large field was the Parade Ground. It was cleared of pine trees by men that came through Camp Moore. Today it maintains the same overall size and shape that it did during the war. While the various companies were . . . — Map (db m92332) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — 3 — Camp Moore #3Walking Tour Stop 3
The cemetery was reclaimed from the elements in 1903 by the veterans themselves and the women who became members of Camp Moore Chapter #562, UDC. The land was bought from logging interests and the fence installed by 1905. The cemetery, fence and . . . — Map (db m92333) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — 4 — Camp Moore #4Walking Tour Stop 4
Although difficult to see because of the vegetation at the cemetery fence, the ground falls off sharply just outside the fence. The same creek that you crossed to get to the cemetery passes along this back side of the cemetery. The ground rises on . . . — Map (db m92334) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — 5 — Camp Moore #5Walking Tour Stop 5
You are standing at the northern boundary of Camp Moore. Looking into the woods to your front, you are viewing the direction from which came the fatal attack on Camp Moore on October 5th, 1864. Federal cavalry under Colonel John Fonda of the 118th . . . — Map (db m92335) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — 6 — Camp Moore #6Walking Tour Stop 6
This cabin was believed to be built in 1929 to serve as the meeting house for the Camp Moore Chapter No. 562, United Daughters of the Confederacy and served in that capacity for many years. It originally stood east of Marker No. 2 but was removed to . . . — Map (db m92336) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — Camp Moore Confederate Cemetery
Site of Camp Moore, 1861-1865, where Confederate soldiers from several states were trained, the largest camp of the Confederacy. A minor engagement was fought nearby, Oct 5-9, 1864. The men buried here died of disease while in the service of their . . . — Map (db m85943) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — Camp Moore Confederate Soldiers Memorial
Sacred to the memory of The Confederate Soldiers who died at Camp Moore. Buried 1861-1865 Cemetery was dedicated to the State of Louisiana June 3rd, 1905 "Twine a garland, drop a tear, O'er Louisiana's unnamed dead . . . — Map (db m87896) WM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Tangipahoa — Tangipahoa
Area settled in early 1800's. New Orleans, Jackson, & Great Northern Railroad built station here c. 1853. One square mile town formed around it in 1866. Included part of former Confederate Camp Moore. Town named for Indian tribe. — Map (db m49797) HM

28 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement