Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Terrebonne Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Old Cattle Trail Marker image, Touch for more information
January 8, 2016
Old Cattle Trail Marker
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Chacahoula — Old Cattle Trail
Route led from Mexico to the Mississippi River at Vacherie. One segment, Bull Run Road, starting at Central, ended at Chacahoula. The trail continued West along ridges to Gibson, Morgan City, the Teche lands. and on to el Camino Real during latter . . . — Map (db m92138) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Chauvin — Saint Joseph Church
Father Jean-Marie Joseph Denecé settled at Petite Caillou soon after his ordination during the Civil War. He organized the parish established on Nov. 9, 1864 by Archbishop J.M. Odin, C.M., to serve the people of South Terrebonne. Fr. Denecé built . . . — Map (db m92703) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Cocodrie — La Butte
This Indian mound was constructed around AD 1000. It is 7 feet tall with a square~shaped base. It was once part of a larger complex made up of up to five mounds. The oak tree on the northwest corner is thought to mark the grave of Houma Courteau . . . — Map (db m85298) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gibson — Gibson Methodist Episcopal Church
Erected 1849 on land donated by Cornelius and John Wallis. During Civil War church was used as hospital. Entered National Register of Historic Places May 8, 1986. — Map (db m86081) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gray — Tomb Of Henry Schuyler Thibodaux
Born Albany, New York, 1769. Died at his plantation near this place, 1827. "Father of Terrebone Parish" and Acting-Governor of Louisiana, 1824. — Map (db m92136) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — 1834-1934
This tablet is placed by the City Government in commemoration of the hundredth anniversary of Houma, and in memory of its founders, Richard H. Grinage and Hubert M. Belanger. Public spirited citizens, who on May 10, 1834, donated this property for a . . . — Map (db m104235) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Magnolia CemeteryFounded In 1883
Magnolia Cemetery was originally founded as a resting place for members of the Protestant faith. The land chosen was along Bayou Terrebonne. The original board of directors consisted of Peter Berger, John Hubbard, Lucius Suthon, John Winder, William . . . — Map (db m85057) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Orange Grove
Built c. 1840. Noted for its handsome Greek Revival styling, its briquette-entre-poteaux (bricks set between posts) construction, and its faux bois (false grained) woodwork. Listed in National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m92691) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Residence Plantation
Queen Anne Revival style house built in 1898 by Roberta Volumnia Barrow Slatter. Constructed using materials from a house built on same site in 1854 by her parents noted Louisiana planter Robert Ruffin Barrow and Volumnia Hunley Barrow, sister of . . . — Map (db m92849) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Saint Francis de Sales Church
Mother Church in the civil parish of Terrebonne, St. Francis de Sales was founded in 1847. The intrepid zeal of the Reverend Canon Charles Menard, Apostle of Lafourche and Terrebonne, laid the foundation of this Parish. During the tenure of Fr. Z. . . . — Map (db m85950) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Terrebonne Parish Courthouse Square Oaks
Marker 1 These majestic southern live oaks (Quercus virginiana) in this Terrebonne Courthouse Square were planted during the winter of 1886 by Bernard Filhucan Bazet. Mr. Bazet was born in Lasserre, France in 1832, entered Terrebonne Parish . . . — Map (db m104676) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Montegut — "Hello Baby!"
J.P. Richardson, Jr., better known as the "Big Bopper" lived 1 mile south of this site in the 1950s in a garage apartment on Arcement Street near the intersection at French Street. In 1952, Richardson married Adrianne Joy Fryou, a native of the . . . — Map (db m92805) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Montegut — Montegut School
Montegut School is one of the oldest in Terrebonne Parish. It lies on land that was purchased on January 27, 1912, from Point Farm Planting Co. for $1,100. For a total of $10,158 the school was built and furnished. Along with its past and present . . . — Map (db m92668) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Montegut — Sacred Heart Church
Father Charles Menard of St. Joseph's Church, Thibodaux, LA., offered the first mass on this bayou, June 1842. The original mission chapel was built in 1843, about a mile below this site. Archbishop J.M. Odin, C.M., appointed as first pastor in . . . — Map (db m92886) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement