Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Terrebonne Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Wallace J. Thibodaux Marker image, Touch for more information
July 3, 2019
Wallace J. Thibodaux Marker
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Bayou Blue — Wallace J. Thibodaux
On Wallace Joseph Drive at Bayou Blue Road (State Highway 316), in the median on Wallace Joseph Drive.
*Born in Lafourche Parish on the estate of his father, Henry J. Thibodaux, on December 18, 1880 at Bayou Blue. *Inherited his father's estate who was a descendant of Henry Schyler Thibodaux, the founder of the City of Thibodaux. *Married . . . — Map (db m136175) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Chacahoula — Old Cattle Trail
On Bull Run Road 0.1 miles south of Louisiana Highway 20, on the left when traveling south.
Route led from Mexico to the Mississippi River at Vacherie. One segment, Bull Run Road, starting at Central, ended at Chacahoula. The trail continued West along ridges to Gibson, Morgan City, the Teche lands. and on to el Camino Real during latter . . . — Map (db m92138) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Chauvin — Bayou Petit CaillouMarguerite Moffett Audubon Sanctuary — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
On Little Caillou Road (State Road 56) 0.3 miles south of Riggio Street, on the right when traveling south.
Bald cypress swamps and freshwater marshes once thrived here, but natural and man-made changes to the hydrology eventually allowed salt water to begin encroaching into these delicate coastal bayous. Today they are tidal arms of the Gulf of . . . — Map (db m115136) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Chauvin — Saint Joseph Church
Near Little Caillou Road (State Highway 56) at Angel Street, on the right when traveling south.
Father Jean-Marie Joseph Denecé settled at Petite Caillou soon after his ordination during the Civil War. He organized the parish established on Nov. 9, 1864 by Archbishop J.M. Odin, C.M., to serve the people of South Terrebonne. Fr. Denecé built . . . — Map (db m92703) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Cocodrie — La Butte
On Little Caillou Road (State Highway 56) 2 miles north of Bayou Sale Road (State Highway 57), on the left when traveling north.
This Indian mound was constructed around AD 1000. It is 7 feet tall with a square~shaped base. It was once part of a larger complex made up of up to five mounds. The oak tree on the northwest corner is thought to mark the grave of Houma Courteau . . . — Map (db m85298) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gibson — Gibson Methodist Episcopal Church
On South Bayou Black Drive 0.2 miles north of Bayou Black Drive (Louisiana Highway 182), on the left when traveling west.
Erected 1849 on land donated by Cornelius and John Wallis. During Civil War church was used as hospital. Entered National Register of Historic Places May 8, 1986. — Map (db m86081) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gray — Isles Dernieres(Last Island)
On Tourist Drive south of Frontage Road A, on the right when traveling south.
English side Over 200 persons were killed when a giant tidal wave hit last island, 45 miles south of Houma, on June 10, 1856. The resort was a playground for southern aristocrats. Fishermen (with boats) call it a Sportsman''s . . . — Map (db m121415) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gray — Mysteries of the WetlandsGhost forests, alluring lights and the Rougarou
Near Tourist Drive near Frontage Road A.
Slow-moving waters, exotic birds, buzzing insects, and underwater ripples reminds us that this is a wild place, as unpredictable as the shifting ground we stand upon. In these untamed wetlands - not quite solid land, not quite open water - what is . . . — Map (db m121193) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Gray — Tomb Of Henry Schuyler Thibodaux
On West Main Street (State Highway 24) 0.1 miles south of Merlin Street, on the right when traveling south.
Born Albany, New York, 1769. Died at his plantation near this place, 1827. "Father of Terrebone Parish" and Acting-Governor of Louisiana, 1824. — Map (db m92136) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — 1834-1934
On West Main Street (State Highway 24) south of Church Street, on the right when traveling south.
This tablet is placed by the City Government in commemoration of the hundredth anniversary of Houma, and in memory of its founders, Richard H. Grinage and Hubert M. Belanger. Public spirited citizens, who on May 10, 1834, donated this property for a . . . — Map (db m104235) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — A History of Terrebonne Parish
On West Main Street south of Roussell Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Houma Downtown Development Corporation is pleased to accept this mural on behalf of the people of Terrebonne Parish painted by Louisiana muralist Hans Geist. This artwork depicts the foundation and establishments which came together . . . — Map (db m140450) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Bayou TerrebonneHistoric highway for commerce and life
Near West Park Avenue north of Barrow Street (State Highway 182), on the left when traveling north.
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the bayou in front of you was Houma's busiest thoroughfare. You might have seen hunters, trappers and fisherman bringing seafood and animal hides to market. Boatmen hauled crops to inland railroad hubs. Profiteers . . . — Map (db m123349) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Magnolia CemeteryFounded In 1883
On West Main Street (State Highway 182) east of Gabasse Street, on the right when traveling east.
Magnolia Cemetery was originally founded as a resting place for members of the Protestant faith. The land chosen was along Bayou Terrebonne. The original board of directors consisted of Peter Berger, John Hubbard, Lucius Suthon, John Winder, William . . . — Map (db m85057) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — New Acadia / Nouvelle Acadie
On West Park Avenue (State Highway 24) north of Barrow Street (State Highway 182), on the left when traveling north.
Over 2,500 Acadians settled in the Spanish colony of Louisiana between 1764 and 1788, Although victims of the Deportation, none were deported directly to Louisiana.

Acadians made their way to Louisiana from various locations. The first . . . — Map (db m123326) HM

Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Orange Grove
On Bayou Black Road (State Highway 182) 0.2 miles north of Daneco Court, on the right when traveling south.
Built c. 1840. Noted for its handsome Greek Revival styling, its briquette-entre-poteaux (bricks set between posts) construction, and its faux bois (false grained) woodwork. Listed in National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m92691) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Residence Plantation
On East Park Avenue (State Highway 659) 0.2 miles west of Fookles Court, on the right when traveling west.
Queen Anne Revival style house built in 1898 by Roberta Volumnia Barrow Slatter. Constructed using materials from a house built on same site in 1854 by her parents noted Louisiana planter Robert Ruffin Barrow and Volumnia Hunley Barrow, sister of . . . — Map (db m92849) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Saint Francis de Sales Church
On Verret Street at Church Street, on the left when traveling west on Verret Street.
Mother Church in the civil parish of Terrebonne, St. Francis de Sales was founded in 1847. The intrepid zeal of the Reverend Canon Charles Menard, Apostle of Lafourche and Terrebonne, laid the foundation of this Parish. During the tenure of Fr. Z. . . . — Map (db m85950) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Southdown High School
On Saint Charles Street (State Highway 664) near West Tunnel Boulavard (Highway 3040), on the right when traveling south.
Southdown High School served as an African-American high school from 1953 to 1969. The school served as a source of pride and as an institution of learning for all African-American students. Many well-known, local educators and community leaders . . . — Map (db m137495) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Southdown Plantation House
Near Little Bayou Black Road (State Highway 311) just south of St. Charles Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Reported missing.
First floor built c. 1859 by William J. Minor of Natchez, Mississippi. Second floor added in 1893 by Henry C. Minor. In 1920's Southdown management pioneered development of disease resistant POJ sugarcane varieties. — Map (db m139935) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — St. Matthew's Episcopal Church
Near Barrow Street near Belanger Street. Reported missing.
Chartered on May 15, 1855 by The Rt. Rev. Leonidas K. Polk, the first Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana. The first building was erected in 1858. Present cypress structure was completed 1892. During the War Between The States its first Rector, The Rev. . . . — Map (db m139909) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Terrebonne BasinMandalay National Wildlife Refuge Nature Trail — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
On Rue de la Manson near Black Bayou Drive, on the right when traveling south.
The southern part of the Terrebonne Basin faces many challenges, including substantial subsidence, coastal erosion, marsh loss from sediment and saltwater intrusion.

The Terrebonne Basin is part of the Lafourche Delta that formed between 800 . . . — Map (db m115138) HM

Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — Terrebonne Parish Courthouse Square Oaks
Near West Main Street (State Highway 24) at Church Street, on the right when traveling south.
Marker 1 These majestic southern live oaks (Quercus virginiana) in this Terrebonne Courthouse Square were planted during the winter of 1886 by Bernard Filhucan Bazet. Mr. Bazet was born in Lasserre, France in 1832, entered Terrebonne Parish . . . — Map (db m104676) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — The Grand Dérangement / Le Grand Dérangement
On West Park Avenue (State Highway 24) north of Barrow Street (State Highway 182), on the right when traveling north.
Panel 1 English

L'Acadie, established by France in 1604, was a strategically located and highly coveted colony. In 1713, it was handed over to England and renamed Nova Scotia. The foundation of Halifax, in 1749, led part of the. . . . — Map (db m123267) HM

Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — When Oysters Were KingThe boom years: 1890-1940
Near West Park Avenue north of Barrow Street (State Highway 182), on the left when traveling north.
European settlers found oysters abundant in coastal Louisiana. By 1890, enterprising Houma oystermen saw opportunity in the availability of ice, expanding railroads, and advances in canning. Oysters could now be shipped across the nation.

Houma . . . — Map (db m123337) HM

Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Houma — YRF-4C Phantom IIs/n 62-12201
On Barrow Street (State Highway 182) near Margaret Street, on the right when traveling north.
First entering service in 1960, the McDonnell F-4 Phantom I was designed as a U.S. Navy fleet defense fighter, and was soon adopted by the U.S. Air Force as a fighter-bomber. RF-4 Phantoms also proved capable high performance reconnaissance . . . — Map (db m115474) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Montegut — "Hello Baby!"
On Montegut Rd. (State Highway 55) at Dolphin Street, on the left when traveling south on Montegut Rd..
J.P. Richardson, Jr., better known as the "Big Bopper" lived 1 mile south of this site in the 1950s in a garage apartment on Arcement Street near the intersection at French Street. In 1952, Richardson married Adrianne Joy Fryou, a native of the . . . — Map (db m92805) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Montegut — Montegut School
On Montegut Rd. (State Highway 55) near S. Legion Rd, on the left when traveling south.
Montegut School is one of the oldest in Terrebonne Parish. It lies on land that was purchased on January 27, 1912, from Point Farm Planting Co. for $1,100. For a total of $10,158 the school was built and furnished. Along with its past and present . . . — Map (db m92668) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Montegut — Sacred Heart Church
On Montegut Road (State Highway 55) 0.1 miles south of Sarah Road, on the left when traveling south.
Father Charles Menard of St. Joseph's Church, Thibodaux, LA., offered the first mass on this bayou, June 1842. The original mission chapel was built in 1843, about a mile below this site. Archbishop J.M. Odin, C.M., appointed as first pastor in . . . — Map (db m92886) HM
Louisiana (Terrebonne Parish), Schriever — Sugar Row PlantationsGrand old estates, rich in history
On State Highway 311 north of Ardoyne Plantation Court, on the right when traveling south.
Sugarcane cultivation brought wealth to planters here along Bayou Black and present-day highway 311. A handful of mansions remain standing, flanked by majestic trees. The Sugar Row Plantations thrived during the decades following the end of . . . — Map (db m123363) HM

29 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement