Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Waldo County Maine Historical Markers

 
A Benevolent Bequest Marker image, Touch for more information
By James True, May 29, 2012
A Benevolent Bequest Marker
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 5 — A Benevolent Bequest The Museum in the Streets
The Construction of a public library was made possible in 1888 by a bequest of $20,000 from merchant Paul R. Hazeltine. He directed that a handsome, substantial, fireproof building be erected on a suitable spot. Built of red granite and trimmed . . . — Map (db m59389) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 15 — Belfast City Hall The Museum in the Streets
Memorial Hall was built in 1890 by Civil War veterans of the Grand Army of the Republic to honor their fallen leader Colonel Thomas H. Marshall. While in command of the 7th Regiment of Maine Volunteers, Marshall distinguished himself at the . . . — Map (db m59497) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 6 — Belfast Historian's Home The Museum in the Streets
The Williamson House was built in 1845 for prominent Belfast lawyer, businessman, and State Senator Joseph Williamson. It was later the house of his son, Joseph Williamson, Jr., who followed in his father's footsteps as a country lawyer. Joseph . . . — Map (db m59390) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 21 — Biggest Little City The Museum in the Streets
Despite the decline in ship building, the port of Belfast remained busy at the turn of the 20th century. Rapid industrial development took place all along the west side waterfront, and steamships and railroads became the primary movers of goods. . . . — Map (db m59508) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 28 — Broiler Capital of the World The Museum in the Streets
Belfast in the mid-20th century was firmly established as "Broiler Capital of the World". Hundreds of thousands of chickens were raised in giant barns throughout Waldo County. At the peak of the industry 22,000 birds per hour were made ready for . . . — Map (db m59548) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 25 — Captain Albert W. Stevens The Museum in the Streets
Famed aerial photographer and Belfast native Army Air Corps Captain Albert W. Stevens captured his hometown on film in September 1923. It is interesting to see the newly built Memorial Bridge, the open fields of the east side and the steamboat . . . — Map (db m59530) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 8 — City Park The Museum in the Streets
The Belfast Ladies Improvement Society lobbied the city council in April of 1904 to establish a seaside park for the benefit of the public. The purchase price of the 15 acre lot was $3,000 and, once secured, prominent Boston landscape architect . . . — Map (db m59392) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 9 — Civil War Hero The Museum in the Streets
Colonel Philo Hersey, born in Canton, Maine, came to Belfast in 1861. He entered Civil War service as a captain in the 26th Maine Regiment. Severely wounded at the battle of Irish Bend, Louisiana, he returned to Belfast and in 1865 married . . . — Map (db m59395) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 13 — Downtown Main Street The Museum in the Streets
The Downtown Historic District is recognized as a 19th century architectural gem that is included in the National Register of Historic Places. Main Street provided an early route through the dense forests, allowing the farmers and woodsmen to . . . — Map (db m59495) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 10 — Education First and Foremost The Museum in the Streets
The Original Town Hall (left) and Academy (right) were both built in the early 1800s on the Town Common and served as schools into the 20th century. As student enrollment increased, the buildings became over-crowded and out-dated (photo c. . . . — Map (db m59398) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 11 — First Church The Museum in the Streets
The First Church congregation built this meeting house and dedicated it on November 15, 1818. The frame was raised by men from Belfast and neighboring towns. The parish committee provided a barrel of punch for the workers. Notable features . . . — Map (db m59493) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 29 — Five-Masted Beauty The Museum in the Streets
A brief shipbuilding boom following WWI put the shipyard owned by the Mathews Brothers woodworking mill back in business. The building of the Jennie Flood Kreger, Belfast's largest and only five-masted ship, was overseen by company . . . — Map (db m59549) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 4 — Main and High The Museum in the Streets
The intersection of Main and High Streets formed the commercial crossroads of Belfast and in 1799 it was the site of the first store. Sometimes known as City Block in honor of the impending new city charter, the James Y. McClintock Block was . . . — Map (db m59388) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 1 — Making a Living The Museum in the Streets
Colonel Philo Hersey (panel #9) and two business partners built this imposing shoe factory during the post Civil War period of industrial expansion. At peak production, over 500 workers stood side by side producing several thousand pairs of . . . — Map (db m59382) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 22 — Memorial Bridge The Museum in the Streets
The first bridge to span the Passagassawakeag River at this site was built by private investors in 1806. Known as the Lower Bridge and made of wood, it featured a drawbridge which allowed schooners to travel up the river as far as the wharfs at . . . — Map (db m59527) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — On this site (Belfast Commons)
On this site generations of workers made windows, built ships, and processed poultry. Passengers and freight were carried by sailing ships and steamships to the four corners of the world. In 1999 Belfast Commons was generously given to the citizens . . . — Map (db m59658) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 12 — Post Office Square The Museum in the Streets
The Post Office and Customs House was built in 1857. Until then offices were housed in various businesses around town. The building still has many original features, including ornate fireplaces and iron fireproof shutters. Post Office Square . . . — Map (db m59494) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 30 — Regal Passenger Steamer The Museum in the Streets
Steamboats first made scheduled stops in Belfast in 1824, carrying passengers and freight along the coast. The Eastern Steam Ship Company of Boston built the wharf pictured here in 1888. The "Great White Flyer" steamer Belfast plied the . . . — Map (db m59550) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 18 — Stylish Lodging The Museum in the Streets
The Thomas Whittier house was built in 1803 as both a house and tavern. It was long considered the finest inn in eastern Maine, popular for drinking, dining and dancing. Famous for the abundant produce from her gardens, Whittier's wife was known . . . — Map (db m59502) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 17 — The Belfast Historical Society Museum The Museum in the Streets
When James Langworthy built this Federal style structure in 1835, Market Street, which the building faces, was little more than a cow path leading to a watering hole. But as both a home and store, it was one of more than thirty businesses in . . . — Map (db m59501) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 2 — The Circus Comes to Town The Museum in the Streets
Circuses and Caravans of wild animals appeared in Belfast as early as 1816. In 1885, Barnum's "Greatest Show on Earth," featuring 16 elephants including Jumbo, pitched its tent on Congress Street where over 8,000 people enjoyed the spectacle, . . . — Map (db m59384) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 26 — The Finest and the Fastest The Museum in the Streets
The abundant lumber, steam-powered sawmills and stretches of wide, flat beach, Belfast became a ship building center with shipyards lining the waterfront. In 1793, Robert and James Miller built the schooner Jenny Miller, the first of many . . . — Map (db m59531) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 19 — The First Mayor The Museum in the Streets
Ralph Cross Johnson built this house just as the War of 1812 was beginning. He and his brother, Judge Alfred Johnson, were active in all manner of Belfast's businesses and politics. Ralph Johnson was a representative in Maine's first legislature . . . — Map (db m59503) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 24 — The Great Conflagration The Museum in the Streets
Belfast artist William M. Hall's drawing of the "Great Conflagration" was published in Harper's Weekly magazine a week after the fire. At 10:30 on the night of October 12, 1865 a fire that started on the waterfront rapidly spread. Despite . . . — Map (db m59528) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 7 — The James P. White House The Museum in the Streets
Designed by Architect Calvin Ryder and built in 1840, the James Patterson White House is considered the finest example of domestic Greek Revival architecture in Maine. Born in 1800 in a log house not far from this site, James White enjoyed . . . — Map (db m59391) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 20 — The Nut House The Museum in the Streets
Originally a cigar making factory, the building shown became Perry's Tropical Nut House when owner Irving Perry started selling pecans in 1926. The business flourished as automobile traffic along Route 1 grew and it soon became Maine's #1 . . . — Map (db m59506) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 27 — The Oldest Manufacturer The Museum in the Streets
Mathews Brothers Company, started in 1854 by Spencer Mathews and his two brothers, is the oldest manufacturing company in Belfast. After fire destroyed the original factory in 1873 (panel #24), the company reopened just 70 days later on this . . . — Map (db m59547) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 14 — The Opera House The Museum in the Streets
Hayford Hall was built between 1866 and 1868 by Axel Hayford, a local contractor and businessman. It housed businesses on the lower level and a ballroom/theater with a balcony on the second level. Renamed the Belfast Opera House in 1883, it was . . . — Map (db m59496) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 16 — The Silver Screen The Museum in the Streets
The burgeoning appeal of the silver screen led to the construction of the Colonial Theatre which opened the night the Titanic set sail from England in April 1912. A fire in 1923 following a showing of the film "Way Down East" leveled the . . . — Map (db m59500) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 3 — The Windsor Hotel The Museum in the Streets
By the mid-19th Century Belfast was becoming a popular destination for travelers. The Windsor Hotel, originally built as a private home in 1807, was enlarged to accommodate the influx of guests and lodgers. First known as the New England . . . — Map (db m59385) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Bucksport — The Penobscot Expedition 1779
The largest combined infantry-naval operation undertaken by the American colonists during the Revolution met with disaster along this waterway. Two thousand colonials failed to capture Fort George at Castine with its contingent of 750 British land . . . — Map (db m21458) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Burnham — Cpl. Clair Goodblood Memorial Korean War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
(Black Granite) Medal of Honor-Cpl Clair Goodblood, born September 18, 1929-Killed in Action April 25, 1951 --(Gray Granite) Korean War Hero-Cpl Goodblood was a member of Company D, 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division. While serving as a . . . — Map (db m62470) WM
Maine (Waldo County), Lincolnville — French's Beach
Eunice & Hezekiah French came here from Billerica, Massachusetts in 1799 built a log cabin nearby and ten children were born there — Map (db m59657) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Lincolnville — Lincolnville Center
Lincolnville Center was a busy place in the 19th Century with three general stores, two blacksmith shops, a couple of sawmills, several shoemaking shops, a one-room school, two churches and a wheelwright shop. In 1904 the Lincolnville Telephone . . . — Map (db m55827) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Lincolnville — Lincolnville War of 1812 Cannon
. . . — Map (db m55342) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Lincolnville — Lincolnville's Town House
Erected in 1820 by George Ulmer the building served as the town's meeting place In 1899 High School was held here — Map (db m55828) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Lincolnville — Near this Site in 1770
Nathan & Lydia Knight built a log cabin and became the First Settlers of Canaan Plantation which in 1802 was incorporated as Lincolnville — Map (db m55825) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — A Grand Plan
The idea of a fort on the Penobscot was not new when the U.S. government purchased land for Fort Knox in 1844. The Board of Engineers, established and charged by the Secretary of War to make a plan for the defense of the United States, had listed a . . . — Map (db m55135) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — A Question of Boundaries
The United States planned Fort Knox to prevent another attempt by the English to control Maine lands east of the Penobscot, as they had successfully done in the American Revolution and War of 1812. Fort Knox's construction had not yet begun when . . . — Map (db m55136) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — Conflict and Prosperity on the River
Today's peaceful view of the Penobscot River and the community of Bucksport holds few hints of the early conflicts that plagued the area. For nearly two centuries, the river served as a border between clashing interests - French and English, Native . . . — Map (db m55132) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — Digging Down and Building Up
People, machines, and animals all played a part in the slow process of raising the walls that shaped Fort Knox. But before these walls could be built, people, machines, and animals also worked to prepare the site by earth, blasting ledge, and . . . — Map (db m55239) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — Firing a Cannon
Eight soldiers were needed to fire a 10-inch Rodman, including a chief of detachment (who gave the commands), a gunner, and six cannoneers. The steps in firing the cannon are shown here. The gunner is indicated by "G" and the other six . . . — Map (db m55337) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — Fort Knox
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m55157) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — Pemtegwacook
Native Americans first paddled dug-out canoes up and down the Penobscot River about 8,000 years ago. Seeking rich hunting and fishing grounds, these people had come to live on the wooded shores of the river and bay. Archaeology has revealed . . . — Map (db m55129) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — Terreplein
Fort Knox's roof, or terreplein, has emplacements for thirty cannons. These cannons would have been smaller than the guns planned for the casemates on the main level below. The 30 gun circles on the terreplein were all laid and ready for guns in . . . — Map (db m55338) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — The Architecture of Defense
The nation's Third System forts, including Fort Knox, all shared similar design features. These features combined to guard against attack by ships, make it impossible for the fort to be taken quickly, [and] provide protection from a land-based, . . . — Map (db m55137) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — The Casemate - Key to Fort Design
If you were to visit the nation's masonry forts built during the Fort Knox era, you would see many features common to most of them. One such feature is the casemate, a large enclosed space with a high, arched ceiling and places for cannons to fire . . . — Map (db m55278) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — The Heart of the Fort
Fort Knox's thick granite walls were designed to deflect cannon fire from ships passing through the Narrows of the Penobscot River. These walls also enclosed a pentagon-shaped center that contained the heart and soul of the fort. All of the . . . — Map (db m55237) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — Where Did the Soldiers Sleep?
Fort Knox never had soldiers living within its walls, except for a few weeks during the Spanish American War (1898) when some Connecticut Volunteers probably camped on the parade ground or in adjacent rooms. During the Civil War, when the largest . . . — Map (db m55210) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Prospect — Whitcomb-Baker VFW Post 4633 Veterans Memorial
In Memory Of All Veterans — Map (db m55126) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 4 — Carver Memorial Library The Museum in the Streets
Captain George A. Carver was born in 1836. He was, in turn, a ship's carpenter, builder, owner and master. Later Carver helped found a successful New York ship chandlery business.Retiring in 1893, Carver returned to Searsport, living where Moose . . . — Map (db m46646) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 1 — Civil War Soldiers' Monument
Originally erected in 1870 between Mt. Ephraim and Goodall Streets, this monument displays the names of 18 fallen Searsport men. It was dismantled in 1896 and moved to the current location in front of the new Masonic and Odd Fellows building, . . . — Map (db m46641) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 8 — Early Banking The Museum in the Streets
Early financial business in Searsport was transacted in Counting Houses. The growth of commerce and industry in the mid 19th Century created the need for a bank. On August 1, 1853, Jeremiah Merithew organized the Searsport Bank which was . . . — Map (db m46652) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 2 — First Day at Central School: Circa 1900 (as told by Cecil Card for the Oral History Project) The Museum in the Streets
"First came the short white undershirt and underpants. Next came the vest with two rows of buttons the first of which held up the underpants, then the white blouse with a large Buster Brown collar tied with a very wide bow. The second row of . . . — Map (db m46642) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 15 — Home of Clara Pendleton Blanchard 1843-1931 The Museum in the Streets
For 40 years Clara sailed, first with her father at age nine, then with her husband, Captain William Blanchard, aboard 13 vessels in all. She enjoyed one of the longest documented lives at sea and sailed to all parts of the world. Clara was one . . . — Map (db m59280) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — Liberty Tree Memorial
Planted in honor of those who lost their lives in the tragic events on September 11, 2001 The American Liberty elm was named after "The Liberty Tree": Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom. On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston . . . — Map (db m55341) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 6 — Main Street, 1875 The Museum in the Streets
When Searsport was incorporated in 1845, Main Street consisted of 2 rows of shops and homes. The first brick building, Leach Block, built in 1834, is in center right of the photograph. To the left of that building is the tall three story . . . — Map (db m46650) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 5 — Making a Living The Museum in the Streets
In the 19th Century, Searsport was a busy prosperous town. Although best known for shipbuilding and its supporting industries, there was a barrel factory, a spool factory and grain and lumber mills. In one block on Main Street there was a dry . . . — Map (db m46648) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 7 — Peter Ward, Ship Carpenter Living and Working in a Neighborhood of Artisans The Museum in the Streets
For the better part of the 19th Century Searsport shores were busy with shipbuilding and supporting industries. Close to the yards were steam sheds for bending timbers and planking, blacksmith shops, oakum shops, an iron foundry and a sail loft. . . . — Map (db m46651) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 9 — Raising the Flag
In 1850, 216 Searsport men listed their occupations as sailor. This work was what they knew; it was traditional in this and other maritime communities. The men were often gone for years at a time. Young men also left Searsport to go to war, . . . — Map (db m46653) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 14 — Searsport Cyclone May 22, 1921 The Museum in the Streets
It was about 1:30 PM - a hot still afternoon. Thunder clouds built up rapidly. A black funnel cloud appeared northwest of town. The air was full of dust and flying debris. The 1859 Phineas Pendleton House across the street was lifted 8 inches . . . — Map (db m46658) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 10 — Searsport House The Museum in the Streets
Searsport House was one of the best hotels to be found outside the larger cities, according to The Industrial Journal, Dec. 1909. Built in 1831, the original building was occupied as a private dwelling until 1835 when it was converted . . . — Map (db m46654) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 16 — The Growth of Ship Building Isaac Carver The Museum in the Streets
Until 1800, Settlers in the area were occupied in establishing themselves on the land. At the same time trade up and down the coast and with Massachusetts was by water in sloops and small schooners. These coastal farmers were as much coastwise . . . — Map (db m46659) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 17 — The Home of a Hero
Captain Freeman McGilvery (1824-1864) captained two ships prior to the Civil War. At age 38, at sea, he learned of the "Southern Insurrection" and returned to Maine to offer his services to the governor. Assigned to command the 6th Maine . . . — Map (db m46661) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 12 — The Site of a Lumber Mill 1890 The Museum in the Streets
On the site across the stream, there was first a grain and then a lumber mill. The dammed up stream provided power to turn the wheel to grind the grain or saw the logs. The stream also provided a conduit for logs floated down to the mill. Note . . . — Map (db m46657) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 3 — Union Hall The Museum in the Streets
Local entrepreneur Frank Lane constructed this building in 1860. A Boston architect, George Harding, designed it as a venue for traveling and local theater productions and community receptions. It was also used for basketball in the 1940s and . . . — Map (db m46644) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Searsport — 11 — Union School The Museum in the Streets
In the 1850s, with no public transportation, children had to walk to school or ride in a wagon. If Searsport families wanted to educate their children, facilities had to be provided within walking distance of their homes. There were 14 school . . . — Map (db m46655) HM

67 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement