Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Maryland

4984 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 4784
 
Barrellville Honor Roll Marker [Bottom plaque] image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, May 24, 2019
Barrellville Honor Roll Marker [Bottom plaque]
Maryland (Allegany County), Barrellville — Barrellville Honor Roll
World War I and World War II Veterans [Names not listed] Other Veterans Who Served Our Country [Names not listed]Map (db m134391) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Barton — Major Robert E. Townley
In loving memory of Major Robert E. Townley, Strategic Air Command, May 3, 1921 - Jan. 13, 1964. — Map (db m67308) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Barton — The Crash of Buzz One Four
Near this site, at 1:42 am on January 13th 1964, a B-52 bomber, call sign "Buzz One Four", crashed during a blizzard. The plane, with a crew of five, was armed with two 9-megaton nuclear weapons. Four of the five crew members ejected from the plane. . . . — Map (db m96446) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Clarysville — Clarysville General HospitalCenter for Healing
The Clarysville Inn once stood in front of you to the right. In this tavern, and in a complex of buildings constructed around it, the United States established a general hospital during the Civil War. On March 6, 1862, U.S. soldiers commandeered the . . . — Map (db m37540) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Corriganville — Corriganville Honor Roll
In memory of our service men and women who lost their lives in the line of duty and to honor those who served in our Armed Forces. — Map (db m134392) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cresaptown — Brady's CrossingPartisan Ranger Raid
In the early morning darkness on February 21, 1865, Lt. Jesse McNeill and his 66 Partisan Rangers (Confederate guerrillas) descended Knobly Mountain and stopped briefly at the residence of Felix R. Seymour, a Southern sympathizer. They then forded . . . — Map (db m4680) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — "Braddock's Road"
Near this point on June 10, 1755, after nearly a month's delay at Fort Cumberland, Braddock's troops started toward Fort Duquesne to wrest it from the French. On July 9, 1755, he met his terrible death at the Monongahela. — Map (db m134854) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — “The Narrows”
One of the most picturesque spots around Cumberland, discovered by Spendelow after the road over Wills Mountain had been constructed by General Braddock. Adopted as the route of the Cumberland Road (The National Road) 1833. The old stone bridge . . . — Map (db m4927) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — 213 Washington Street
Built ca. 1845 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134399) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — 217 Washington Street
Built ca. 1900 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134400) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — 222 Washington Street
Built ca. 1894 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134401) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — 301 Washington Street
Built ca. 1860 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134403) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — A Boom for CumberlandThe National Road Meets the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad — The Historic National Road / The Road That Built The Nation —
The National Road and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad came together at this spot in 1842 at Cumberland’s first railroad station. For a few years, it was necessary for passengers and freight to transfer from railroad cars to coach and wagon for the . . . — Map (db m81402) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Abandonment of Ft. Cumberland — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Fort Cumberland was garrisoned from 1754 to 1765. During this period, there was bickering between Maryland and Virginia as to how the fort should be maintained and whose control it was under. In early 1756, Colonel Washington favored a small . . . — Map (db m17708) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Allegany County
. . . — Map (db m17452) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Allegany County LibraryCumberland Free Public Library
Top Name of Cumberland Free Public Library changed to Allegany County Library July 1, 1960 Bottom 1798 • First public school in Western Maryland incorporated under Act of 1798 as "Visitors of Allegany County School." 1824 • School name changed to . . . — Map (db m17676) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Alteration of the Site — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Many changes have been made to the landscape on which Fort Cumberland stood. The street behind you was cut from the hillside and the earth removed used by the canal company. the bluff to your left in front of the church once extended on a nearly . . . — Map (db m18757) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — B’er Chayim (Well of Life) CongregationDedicated March 2, 1867
Jewish citizenry in Cumberland can be documented back to 1816. By 1853 twelve Jewish families had taken residence in this growing city of 6150 people. It was this small group which applied to the Maryland General Assembly for an Act incorporating . . . — Map (db m134329) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Bane House
Bane House 1922 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134404) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Bell Tower
Bell Tower First Jail and Police Station Erected 1886 Named to National Register Feb. 20, 1973 — Map (db m134398) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Boat Building at the Cumberland Basin
Cumberland, the western terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, was the location where the George's Creek coal from western Allegany County was transferred from the short line railroads to canal boats for shipment east. Cumberland was also the . . . — Map (db m67484) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Canada Hose Company No. 1
Built by volunteer firemen 1845 Canada Company organized 1830 Cumberland Hose Company organized 1839 Equipment included : Gooseneck fire engine – four ladders – three hooks – three axes and 30 dollars a gift of the . . . — Map (db m134393) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Capture of GeneralsCapture of Generals B.F. Kelly and George Crook — Nights, February 21–22, 1865 —
A company of Confederates, young men from Cumberland, Maryland, Hampshire and Hardy Counties, West Virginia, captured several picket posts, obtained the countersign “Bulls Gap,” rode into the city, captured two commanding Union Generals, . . . — Map (db m490) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Capture of Generals B.F. Kelly and George CrookNights, February 21–22, 1865
A company of Confederates, young men from Cumberland, Maryland, Hampshire and Hardy Counties, West Virginia, captured several picket posts, obtained the countersign “Bulls Gap,” rode into the city, captured two commanding Union Generals, . . . — Map (db m81416) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Christ's (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church
A building on this site Christ's (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church May 11, 1794 "Mother of Lutheranism" in Allegany Co. — Map (db m81506) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Church of Saint PatrickCumberland, Maryland
The Cumberland Roman Catholic Parish was established in 1790 by Father Dennis Cahill, a missionary working in Western Maryland. A log church dedicated to Mary the Mother of God was soon erected in 1791 at the front of the parish property. From . . . — Map (db m134395) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Church of St. Patrick, Cumberland
A log chapel dedicated to St. Mary was built on this site in 1791. The first parishioners were mostly English Catholics from Southern Maryland. A brick church replaced the log building in 1939. Cumberland became a major center of transportation and . . . — Map (db m134394) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Civil War in Allegany CountyStrategic Location
During the Civil War, thousands of United States soldiers were stationed here in Cumberland and Allegany County to guard against raids and incursions by Confederate forces. Located only about 130 miles from the capital at Washington. . . . — Map (db m1049) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Joshua Fry
Memorial in honor of Col. Joshua Fry Born c. 1700 in England 1731 • Professor of mathematics at William and Mary College, Planter in Albemarle County, Virginia, Member of House of Burgesses, First presiding judge of Albemarle County, Commander . . . — Map (db m54023) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Thomas Cresap
In Memory of Col. Thomas Cresap Pathfinder - Pioneer - Patriot - Built the first home and fort in this county at Oldtown, about 1740 Surveyed the first trail to the west, starting near this spot in 1751 His Sons - - - Daniel Cresap for whom . . . — Map (db m17778) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — CumberlandStrategic Center
In 1860, Cumberland was a small town of 7,302 residents, most of whom lived in the valley of Will’s Creek. The town was an important stop on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and the western terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. When the Civil . . . — Map (db m14038) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — CumberlandStrategic Center
In 1860, Cumberland was a small town of 7,302 residents, most of whom lived in the valley of Will’s Creek. The town was an important stop on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and the western terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. When the Civil . . . — Map (db m17674) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland City Hall
Cumberland City Hall Named to the National Register of Historic Places March 1973 — Map (db m134396) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland Gateway Westward — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Will's Creek Settlement, later known as Cumberland, served as a major gateway for trade, military campaigns against the French, and settlement beyond the mountains in our growing nation. "The New Storehouses" of the Ohio Company were across the . . . — Map (db m17783) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland Terminus: Yesterday and Today
Independence Day, July 4th, 1828, would be an important day for Cumberland, Maryland. On that day, far to the east, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad both broke ground. The finish line of these companies' race was the . . . — Map (db m67478) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Famous Personalities at Fort Cumberland — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Horatio Sharpe Lived: 1718-1790. Here as Governor of Maryland and the commander of the fort. Fort Frederick was built by his direction. Governor: 1753-1769. Sharpsburg, Md., was named in his honor. Daniel Boone Lived: 1734-1820. Here as a . . . — Map (db m17681) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — First Federal Court and Postoffice
First Federal Court and Postoffice Named to the National Register of Historic Places May 1973 — Map (db m134397) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Folck's Mill
Here in Evitts Creek Valley on August 1, 1864, General McCausland's Confederate cavalry, returning after burning Chambersburg, was surprised by General Kelley's Union troops from Cumberland. The Confederates were repulsed and retreated across the . . . — Map (db m17903) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Folck's Mill
Here in Evitts Creek Valley on August 1, 1864, General McCausland's Confederate cavalry, returning after burning Chambersburg, was surprised by General Kelley's Union troops from Cumberland. The Confederates were repulsed and retreated . . . — Map (db m19320) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Folck's MillConfederate Raid
Late in July 1864, Confederate Gen. John C. McCausland led his two cavalry brigades (about 2,800 men) northward into Pennsylvania and Maryland to capture Chambersburg and Cumberland and either collect a ransom or burn the towns. McCausland burned . . . — Map (db m19328) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Fort Cumberland TrailA new opportunity for outdoor recreation — Fort Cumberland Trail —
This is an American Revolution bicentennial project to permanently record the history of one of the City of Cumberland's most historic sites, Fort Cumberland. The beautiful interpretive plaques tell the story and the attractive white rocks mark the . . . — Map (db m17714) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — French and Indian War — Fort Cumberland Trail —
"A volley fired by a young Virginian in the backwoods of America set the world on fire" Fort Cumberland was built as a direct result of hostilities between the French and British over control of the Ohio Valley. The British king granted land . . . — Map (db m17683) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — George Washington at Will’s Creek — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Our founding father spent much time in this vicinity when a young man as surveyor, ambassador, aide-de-camp to General Braddock, and commander of Virginia military forces. This cabin served as his headquarters during part of this time. Young George . . . — Map (db m17719) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m1051) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Gov. Lloyd Lowndes 1845 - 19051842 Home
Site 1842 Home Gov. Lloyd Lowndes 1845 - 1905 Only person from Allegany County elected Governor of Maryland Served from 1895 to 1900 — Map (db m17673) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Headquarters of George Washington
As colonel under General Braddock at Fort Cumberland during the French and Indian War 1755 - 1758 and as Commander-in-Chief of the American Army in 1794Presented to the City of Cumberland by James Walter Thomas, L.L.D.; Litt.D. dedicated April . . . — Map (db m17724) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Jane FrazierWife of Lieut. John Frazier
Jane Frazier wife of Lieut. John Frazier was captured by Indians near this spot in October 1755 and taken to the Miami River. She escaped after eighteen months and made her way back to her home. — Map (db m402) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Life on the Canal
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal ran from Georgetown in Washington, D.C. (Mile 0) to Cumberland, MD (Mile 184.5), paralleling the Potomac River. Most of the heavy shipping originated from the western terminus at Cumberland. Boatmen carrying coal, . . . — Map (db m67482) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — McNeill’s RaidCapture of Crook and Kelly
In the predawn darkness of February 21, 1865, Confederate Lt. Jesse McNeill and his partisan (guerrilla) rangers rode into Cumberland from the west on this road. Unlike most raiders who targeted the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad for attack, McNeill . . . — Map (db m716) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Military Hospital
On this site stood the First Presbyterian Church. During the Civil War it was used as a military hospital — Map (db m19336) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — National Road Monument200 Year Celebration and Dedication
This monument is dedicated to the eternal spirits of our forebears. Their inspiration and determination to begin building our Nation's public infrastructure in Cumberland, Maryland, in 1811, helped secure our country's growth and prosperity. It is . . . — Map (db m97321) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — On this Site Originally Stood the Headquarters of George Washington
On this site originally stood the Headquarters of George Washington, since removed to Riverside Park. He was entertained at David Lynn's house (which later occupied this site) when he came here in 1794 to review the troops during the Whisky . . . — Map (db m17451) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — On This Site Stood Metro Clothes
Owned and managed by Joseph Feldstein, Metro Clothes was established in 1932 and originally located across the street. The business relocated to this site after the 1936 flood. Metro Clothes was a leading outfitter in men’s and boys’ clothing and . . . — Map (db m58358) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Our Local Indian Heritage — Fort Cumberland Trail —
The land west of the Allegheny Mountains was exclusively the Indians until the mid 1700's. The local Indians were part of the Shawanese tribe and a sub-division of the Algonquin Nation-one of the most warlike. With the coming of the white man, most . . . — Map (db m18724) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Palisado Fort or Stockade — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Most of the early frontier forts were of the palisado type. Before you is a small sample of this type construction. A palisade is a fence of pales or stakes set firmly in the ground, as for enclosure or defense. The word usage in the 1700's was . . . — Map (db m17782) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Perimeter of the FortFort Cumberland Trail
You stand upon historic ground within the north wall of Fort Cumberland. Your location (X) is shown on the diagram. Lines of barracks (I), parallel with the street, were to your front and in the rear along the line of white rocks in the street. The . . . — Map (db m18758) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — President Washington's Last Visit - 1794
Center Plaque On October 16, 1794, President George Washington arrived in Cumberland to review about 5,000 troops of the Maryland and Virginia militia gathered here during th Whiskey Rebellion. A few days later, this militia army assembled upon . . . — Map (db m17456) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Riverside Park
Land for this park was donated to the city in 1893. The park formerly included the site of the bridge approached to your right and an area extending along the river bank upstream. Then, there were extensive walkways, benches, flowerbeds, a viewing . . . — Map (db m17711) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Shriver House
Shriver House ca. 1859 National Register of Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134402) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Site of Bridge 1834
Built by Thomas Fealy Lieut. Jno. Pickell U.S. Engineer H. M. Pettit Ass’t Supd’t. — Map (db m4928) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Site of Fort Cumberland
The store houses of The Ohio Company were first located near this point. In 1754 the first fort (called Mt. Pleasant) was built. Gen'l Edward Braddock enlarged the fort in 1755 and renamed it after his friend the Duke of Cumberland. — Map (db m53575) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The First Iron Rails
The first iron rails made in the United States were manufactured in 1844 at Mount Savage. Before that time all iron rails were imported from England. — Map (db m445) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The First National Bank and Trust Company of Western Maryland
was originally chartered as the Cumberland Bank of Alleghany by an act of the 1811 Maryland Legislature and opened for business April 1, 1812. this is the oldest bank in Western Maryland and the second oldest National Bank in the state. Local . . . — Map (db m19337) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Fort Proper — Fort Cumberland Trail —
The fort proper was the bastioned work at the west end of the fort. It was to your left (primarily on the site of the Church of Christ Scientist). Besides the four bastions (b) and the joining walls, there were four buildings for provisions (6), two . . . — Map (db m17679) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The NarrowsAn Easier Route for the National Road
At first, the National Road climbed west from Cumberland up and over Haystack Mountain. In the 1830s, when the road was rebuilt, a new route was chosen. It would be a mile longer but the grade was substantially decreased so that horse teams could . . . — Map (db m4926) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The National Road(Called The Cumberland Road)
Was the first of the internal improvements undertaken by the U.S. Government. Surveys were authorized in 1806 over the route of “Braddock’s Road,” which followed “Nemacolin’s Path,” an Indian trail, over which George . . . — Map (db m444) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The National RoadThe Road that Built the Nation
“. . . so many happy people, restless in the midst of abundance.” —Alexis de Tocqueville, 1840. Americans are an adventurous people. From past to present, they have used feet, horses, wagons, stagecoaches, canals, . . . — Map (db m67479) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Old National Pike — Fort Cumberland Trail —
The National Pike was also called the National Road (used national funds) or the Cumberland Road (began in Cumberland). Behind you and to the right along the base of the hill, were the storehouses of The Ohio Company. The earliest rails were made by . . . — Map (db m18728) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Parade Ground of Fort CumberlandOccupied this site 1755
Here the Indian envoys were received before Braddock left for his defeat. In 1756-58 the garrison under Col. Washington was still reviewed here. — Map (db m17453) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — This Tablet Marks the Site of Old Fort Cumberland
Which was built in 1755 by order of the British Government and named in honor of the Duke of Cumberland, Captain General of the British Army. It was the base of military operations of General Edward Braddock and Colonel George Washington in the . . . — Map (db m18733) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Trenches and Tunnels / Army Discipline — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Trenches and Tunnels It was common for forts of this period to have rifle pits or trenches outside the walls as a line of first defense. Fort Cumberland was likely no exception. However, the excavations most people refer to apparently had other . . . — Map (db m17684) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Washington’s Road
By order of Colonel Bouquet, George Washington’s troops opened this road from Fort Cumberland to Reas-town (Bedford, Pa.) during July 1758. Bouquet and Washington conferred half way between these places July 30, 1758. — Map (db m6106) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Western Maryland Railway Station
Opened July 1913 National Register of Historic Places Listed June 1973 Presented by Preservation Society of Allegany County September 1987 — Map (db m60547) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Where the Road BeganThe Historic National Road - The Road That Built the Nation
You are standing at the starting point of this country's first federal road building project, the National Road. A vision of George Washington as a means to develop the continent and to unite the country, his idea was championed by Thomas Jefferson . . . — Map (db m17716) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — “The Warrior’s Path”
War path of the five nations from central New York to the Carolinas. One of the longest Indian trails in America, crossed this highway about this point. — Map (db m3489) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — American Indian Rockshelter Trail
Eons ago, before there was a lake and dam that filled the valley, an ancient stream flowed through from the north. Now known as Rock Gap Run, it slowly cut through the rising sandstone bedrock that eventually became Evitts Mountain. The . . . — Map (db m95908) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Evart's Homesite
This site is believed to be the homesite and final resting place of Mr. Evart (Evitt) who, reportedly, was the first white settler in Allegany County. He came here in the early 1700's to escape civilization and live as a hermit. The . . . — Map (db m95688) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Flintstone Veterans Memorial
A memorial to our veterans both living and dead who served in the Armed Forces of the United States In honor of SPL 4 Donald Klinton awarded the bronze star with V Device for heroism 1967 Killed Mar. 25, 1968 while serving with . . . — Map (db m134412) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — John Mash Jr."A Forest is God's Garden"

Recognizing his contributions to forest conservation and historic preservation at Green Ridge State Forest

25 years of state service 1971-1996 Forest Manager 1975-1988 Author of The Land of the Living Championed the . . . — Map (db m95917) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Life in Pleasant Valley
Before the park was developed in 1974, this valley was rich with farmland and timber. Seven farms worked the soil and grew corn, winter wheat and rye. Two of the farms raised dairy cows. The Raines family farm had approximately 189 acres and had . . . — Map (db m99149) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Log Roll Trail

Log Roll Overlook offers the hiker an enjoyable westward view of the Town Creek watershed and a view of three states. The overlook was named for logs that were rolled down the steep mountain slope in the late 1800s, to a sawmill on Town Creek. . . . — Map (db m95911) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Long Pond Trail

Long Pond Trail follows the 15-Mile Creek stream valley. This trail winds over ridges and valleys with several steep ascents and descents. These features make it one of the most challenging trails at Green Ridge State Forest.

The trail is . . . — Map (db m95916) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Martins MountainSunday Drivers and “Tin-Can Tourists"
The National Road enjoyed a revival from about 1910-1960, with the rising popularity of the automobile. Tourist travel began in earnest when cars became reliable enough for the average person to take a long trip. “Waysiders,” people who . . . — Map (db m4922) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — McCausland's RaidA Pause to Rest — 1864 Chambersburg Raid —
During the Civil War, retribution by one side for "atrocities" committed against civilian by the other quickly escalated. Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early, during his 1864 Maryland invasion, demanded that several towns pay "ransoms" or be . . . — Map (db m134413) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Pine Lick Trail

Pine Lick Trail is connected to landmarks of national historic significance.

THE MASON-DIXON LINE marks the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, as well as the northern edge of Green Ridge State Forest. Completed in the 1760s, this . . . — Map (db m95909) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — The Naming of the Lake
In 1970, this dam was constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers to impound Rocky Gap Run and create Lake Habeeb. The 243-acre lake is named in honor of Edward Habeeb who inspired the establishment of Rocky Gap State Park. This lake is typical . . . — Map (db m95907) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Twin Oaks Trail

This trail allows the hiker to experience Green Ridge State Forest in miniature. The trail follows ridges and valleys along mountain streams and crosses open fields. One section of the trail opens up into an expansive view of Town Hill and the . . . — Map (db m95913) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Allen Hall
In 1957 Wendell D. Allen Residence Hall for men was completed. This building was named for the member of the State Board of Education who served in 1935, 1942, 1949, and 1956, and served as Board President 1952 - 1957. — Map (db m134380) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Blazing Braddock's Road
“We this day passed the ‘Aligany’ Mountain (Big Savage Mountain) which is a rocky ascent of more than two miles, in many places extremely steep…” Captain Robert Orme, June 15, 1755 British General Edward Braddock led a . . . — Map (db m5013) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Braddock Stone
The Braddock Stone, an early colonial highway marker, is named for British General Edward Braddock (1695—1755). During the early stages of the French and Indian War, General Braddock was dispatched to expel French forces from what is today . . . — Map (db m135549) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Chesapeake Hall
In 1970, Chesapeake Dining Hall was completed. This building was named after the Chesapeake Bay. — Map (db m134534) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Coal Mining
Bituminous coal had been discovered in what is now Allegany County before the French and Indian War. Although farmers worked small individual diggings prior to the Nineteenth Century, it would not be until about 1820 that coal obtained some degree . . . — Map (db m96387) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cook Chapel
In 1963, Cook chapel was completed. It was located in the former dining room of Frost Hall and named for Carrie Edith Ricketts Cook, an English Instructor, who taught from 1925 to 1937. — Map (db m134384) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Depot
As seen on the right, the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Depot at Frostburg was constructed in 1891. The depot served as a passenger and freight station enroute between Cumberland, Maryland down the rich coal-mining region of Georges Creek to . . . — Map (db m48853) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cumberland Hall
In 1986, Cumberland Residence Hall was completed. This hall was named for the closest major city to Frostburg. — Map (db m134531) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Dunkle Hall
In 1970, Dunkle Hall was completed. This building was named for John L. Dunkle, Principal and President of Normal School #2 at Frostburg State Teachers College from 1923 - 1944. — Map (db m134528) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Elisabeth Hitchens Administration Building
In 1978, the Administration Building opened. This building was dedicated in 1982 as the Elisabeth Hitchens Administration building to honor a 40-year employee of the College. Hitchins was the institution's first registrar (1934) and the first . . . — Map (db m134389) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Faculty Hall
In 1913, a new gymnasium and elementary school were completed. It was demolished in 1985. — Map (db m134381) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frampton Hall
In 1965, the Jerome Frampton, Jr., library was completed. This building was named for the President of the State Board of Education. — Map (db m134527) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frederick Hall
In 1971, Frederick Residence Hall was completed. The building was named by popular student vote. — Map (db m134532) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frost Graves
This monument, erected in 1877, marks the graves of Meshach Frost (1787–1864) and his wife Catherine (1792–1876), founders of Frostburg. In 1812 they built their first home here. As the tavern Highland Hall, the building later . . . — Map (db m3550) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frost Hall
In 1919, Frost Hall opened. Named for Catherine Frost, the daughter-in-law of the founder of Frostburg, this was the first residence hall and was designated for Women. — Map (db m134386) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgThe Frost Family Legacy
Years before St. Michael’s Church was built, Meshach Frost and his wife Catherine purchased this property in 1812. When the Frosts bought the property, construction of the National Road was already underway. They soon found they were feeding . . . — Map (db m3551) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgThe National Road, Coal and Fancy Hotels
The National Road has sustained Frostburg for almost two centuries. As the road was being surveyed in 1811, Josiah Frost began laying out lots. Businesses, serving passing stagecoaches and wagons, soon lined a developing Main Street. By . . . — Map (db m3553) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frostburg
Frostburg can trace its history back to the very early 1800s, when the community was known as Mt. Pleasant and consisted of only three homes. By the time the National Road opened through in 1812, an early settler named Josiah Frost had lain off the . . . — Map (db m96388) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgMaryland's Mountain City
Established: 1812 Elevation: 1820' Population: 9,002 County: Allegany Situated in the headwaters of the Georges Creek basin, Frostburg was settled in the early 1800's and served as a traveler's stop along the newly constructed National . . . — Map (db m96390) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Fuller House
In 1968, Fuller House was acquired by the college. This building is the former residence of William Fuller, grandson of one of Old Main's builders. — Map (db m134387) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — George's Creek Valley
During colonial exploration and settlement the valley provided a route to the western frontier. In 1753, preceding the French and Indian War, George Washington traveled this route to deliver Gov. Dinwiddie's order that the French abandon their . . . — Map (db m84736) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Gunter Hall
In 1960, Gunter Hall opened as the new student center. Named for William A. Gunter, local attorney and former president of both the State Board of College Trustees and State Board of Education, this building originally housed a dining hall, snack . . . — Map (db m134378) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Historic Braddock Road1755
The following was taken from the journal of Robert Orme, aid de camp to General Braddock - June 15, 1755: We this day (with 2100 troops, 1500 hundred horses, 200 wagons and twelve cannons) passed the Allegany Mountains, which is a rocky ascent of . . . — Map (db m96391) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Lewis J. Ort Library
In 1976, the library opened as the fourth location for institutional book holdings. In 1990, this building was named as the Lewis J. Ort Library to honor local business man and philanthropist. — Map (db m134529) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Lowndes Hall
In 1954 Lowndes Hall was completed. This building was named for two members of the Lowndes family - Lloyd, former governor of Maryland, and his son Taster, former President of the Maryland Board of Education. — Map (db m134530) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Martin’s Plantation
General Braddock's 2nd camp on the march to Fort Duquesne June 14th, 15th, 1755. The old Braddock Road passed to the southeast of the National Road from Clarysville to the "Shades of Death" near "Two Mile Run." The National Road was begun by the . . . — Map (db m440) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Nelson P. Guild Center
The Nelson P. Guild Human Resources Center opened in 1986, incorporating several existing buildings: Alleghany Hall, the second Laboratory School, and Garrett Hall. The Center is named for Dr. Nelson P. Guild, sixth president of the University . . . — Map (db m134526) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — 11 — Old Main
Frostburg State College was founded as a "Normal" school (two-year institution) by an act of the Maryland General Assembly in 1893. The cornerstone for Old Main, first building erected for the college, was laid in 1899. The school opened in 1902 and . . . — Map (db m134382) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Old Main
Ground was broken for Old Main on June 27, 1899. It was completed in 1900. This building was originally known as the Normal School. The colloquial use of the phrase "Old Main" was confirmed with the building's dedication in 1957. — Map (db m134383) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Public Safety Building
In 1983, the Public Safety Building opened. This building was formerly the Lincoln School, a public school for African-American students. — Map (db m134385) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Pullen Hall
Pullen Hall, opened in 1959, is named for Dr. Thomas G. Pullen, Jr., State Superintendent of Schools. The building originally served as the third location of the laboratory elementary school and now houses various student service departments. — Map (db m134388) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Simpson Hall
In 1957, I. Jewell Simpson Residence Hall for women was completed. This building was named for the State Supervisor of Elementary Schools who served as the Assistant State Superintendent of Schools for Elementary Instruction. — Map (db m134379) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Sowers Hall
In 1965, Lowell Martin Sowers, Sr., Residence Hall for men was completed. This building was named for the college science professor who taught from 1950 - 1961. — Map (db m134525) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad
The Railroad had reached Frostburg in 1852 and by 1863, the Cumberland and Pennsylvania (C&P) line ran from Cumberland through Mt. Savage to Frostburg and down George's Creek across the Potomac River to Piedmont, West Virginia. This connected the . . . — Map (db m96386) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The Naming of Frostburg
Contrary to popular belief that it was named for its frigid winter weather, Frostburg can trace its history back to 1800 when the community was known as Mt. Pleasant. By the time the National Road (authorized by Congress in 1806) opened through in . . . — Map (db m67475) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The National Road
A trolley car and horse and buggy descend the old National Road at Eckhart Hill, just east of Frostburg. In 1806 construction of the Cumberland (National) Road was authorized by Congress. Its purpose was to connect the populated east and "navigable . . . — Map (db m96383) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Westminster Hall
In 1972, Westminster Residence Hall was completed. The building was named by popular student vote. — Map (db m134533) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Keifers — Breaking Through a Mountain
The Paw Paw Tunnel stands as a monument to the ability and daring of 19th century canal builders. By building the mile-long cut through the mountain, including the 3,118-foot tunnel, the canal avoided six miles of river bends and steep, rocky . . . — Map (db m25098) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — “Spendelow Camp”Also Called “Camp at the Grove”
General Braddock’s 1st camp on the march from Fort Cumberland to Fort Duquesne, June 11th to 13th, 1855. After building a road over Wills Mountain, Spendelow, an engineer, discovered a route by “The Narrows” and Braddock’s Run and a . . . — Map (db m2083) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — First Toll Gate House
First toll gate house on the old National (Cumberland) Road. Erected about 1833 after this portion of the road was turned over to the State of Maryland by the United States government. There was one other toll gate in Maryland on this Road. — Map (db m442) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — The La Vale Toll HouseThe Historic National Road - The Road That Built The Nation
Toll houses were built along the National Road as a result of a 25 year national debate as to whether or not the federal government should be responsible for funding road improvements. While there was agreement on the idea that those who used the . . . — Map (db m443) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Little Orleans — Town Hill OverlookThe Beauty Spot of Maryland
The long, winding ascent of Town Hill reaches a height just beyond that of Sideling Hill, but was much more easily crossed. However, early automobiles were still no match for the steep grades and tight turns along this section of the National Road. . . . — Map (db m20986) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Daniel Cresap
Daniel Cresap, pioneer settler, gave his name to Dan's Mountain and Dan's Rock. Born in 1728 near Havre de Grace, MD., son of Colonel Thomas Cresap. Fought in French and Indian War. By first wife, unknown, had one son; by second wife, Ruth . . . — Map (db m98538) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — In Honor of the Sons and Daughters of Mount Savage
Who served their country in the World War, this bridge was built, and in loving remembrance of J. Edward Carney • Walter H. Green • Lloyd H. Hartman • Joseph B. Hammers • Lawrence B. Miller • James Shaffer • H. Earl Snyder who made the supreme . . . — Map (db m67476) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — Mount Savage Iron Works1839
In 1844, the first iron rails made in the United States were produced on this spot by the Mount Savage Iron Works. Erected in 1839, the iron works contributed extensviely to the development of the Mount Savage Community. — Map (db m5846) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — On This Site in 1844
On this site in 1844 were rolled the first iron rails made in the United States. For this technological achievement, the Mount Savage Iron Works was awarded a silver medal by the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia This plaque was dedicated in . . . — Map (db m114318) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — The Castle
This property The Castle has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134390) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Maryland’s Liberty Tree — Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park —
With roots planted deep in the soil providing stability and a crown overhead providing shelter and safety, it is easy to see how a tree could be a meaningful symbol for the Sons of Liberty in America's earliest days. Each of the original 13 colonies . . . — Map (db m99195) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Michael Cresap(1742–1775)
He built his house, which can be seen nearby, about 1764. A trader, he cleared wilderness and fought Indians in “Cresap’s War” in Ohio, 1774. As a Captain he led riflemen, some painted Indian-style, to Boston at the start of the . . . — Map (db m448) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Old Town(King Opessa’s Town)
Fording place for “Great Warriors Path” from New York to the South. Thomas Cresap built stockade fort here in 1741 used as a refuge during French and Indian War after Braddock’s defeat. George Washington was here on his first . . . — Map (db m447) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Westernport — Working Together for the CommunityWesternport Flood Mitigation, Restoration, and Park Development Project
Flooding. In 1996, two devastating floods caused catastrophic damage throughout a four county area of Western Maryland. The town of Westernport, located at the confluence of Georges Creek and the Potomac River, was one of the hardest hit by the . . . — Map (db m33699) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — "Preservation Was A Fight!"Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
"St. Clair Wright said many times that Historic Annapolis accomplished more in the eight years I was mayor than in any other period. That makes me feel awfully good." Roger "Pip" Moyer, 2002. Historic preservation in Annapolis . . . — Map (db m114540) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 14cm 3.5 inch Gun
14cm 3.5 inch gun from Spanish armored cruiser Vizcaya Battle off Santiago Cuba July 3 1898 — Map (db m114850) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 159 Main Street
This commercial structure was one of several built between 1908-1913 after a fire destroyed the City Hotel. Merchant James F. Strange had the building constructed during his ownership. The building has remained in the Strange Family and in retail . . . — Map (db m114549) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 163 Main Street
The property at 163 Main Street was originally part of a section of land confiscated from British Loyalists. The lot contained the City Hotel which was a well known hostelry. After a fire destroyed the City Hotel, the lot was subdivided and in 1903 . . . — Map (db m6311) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 167 Main Street at Conduit Street
This site owned by Amos Garrett was surveyed as Lot 46 on James Stoddert's 1718 plan of Annapolis. The Lloyd Dulany family lived here from 1761 until 1783. The group of buildings known successively as Mann's Tavern, City Tavern and the City Hotel . . . — Map (db m6194) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 41 Cornhill Street
In 1771 when Annapolis merchant Charles Wallace laid out plot lines on Cornhill Street, former ship captain Beriah Maybury leased two plots and built this house which he opened as the King's Arms Tavern in 1773. In 1792 he renamed it the Sign of the . . . — Map (db m6450) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 64 Franklin StreetAnnapolis Emergency Hospital
Annapolitans and county residents visited this site for medical care for nearly a century after the founding of the Annapolis Emergency Hospital in 1902. The hospital first purchased the home of former mayor Edwin Seidewitz, part of which probably . . . — Map (db m114790) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 75mm. Howitzer
Captured with its gun crew 16th August 1944 by the 8th Naval Beach Battallion and the 540th Army Engineers at St. Raphael on the French Riveria. This howitzer, set in a strong casemated position at the left flank of one of the assault beaches, . . . — Map (db m29639) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A Community LegacyWest Street — The Banneker-Douglass Museum —
1984 Banneker-Douglass Museum As the official museum of African-American history and culture for the State of Maryland, the Banneker-Douglass Museum is dedicated to discovering documenting, preserving and promoting . . . — Map (db m114557) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union . . . — Map (db m114568) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A Story of PreservationMarket House — Annapolis Historic District —
1952 Historic Annapolis Founded The story of historic preservation in Annapolis is one of community involvement. Efforts to protect the historic element of Annapolis extend back to the nineteenth century. In the 1950s and 1960s, . . . — Map (db m114793) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863 —
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m114674) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Admiral Ben MoreellFather of the Seabees
[First Panel]:] About the Seabees Born in the early days of World War II when the nation was in dire peril, their mission was to build bases for the combat forces, to defend those bases, and to provide other support of whatever . . . — Map (db m9620) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Albert Cabell Ritchie
Albert Cabell Ritchie. 1876 – 1936. Four times Governor of Maryland. He who is worthy of honor does not die. — Map (db m2900) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Alexander Magruder
To honor the three hundredth anniversary of the coming to Maryland circa 1652 of Alexander Magruder, founder and progenitor of the Magruder family in America, and to the men of his blood who have been students at St. John's College. — Map (db m5417) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Alfred A. Hopkins Plaza
Honoring Alfred A. Hopkins Mayor, 1989 - 1997 — Map (db m6384) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Alumni Arch
Alumni Arch in honor of Captain William S. Busik and all Naval Academy Alumni, Past, Present, and Future. "Barnacle Bill" was an All-American standout on the Navy Football team until his accelerated graduation . . . — Map (db m127946) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — An Environmental PerspectiveAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
"Annapolis is an almost perfect example of town/village GOLD Bay Partner." Comment from the presentation to Annapolis as a Gold Medal Community Partner. Environmental Protection Agency, 2007 As a model for . . . — Map (db m114559) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis & The Maryland SignersAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." With these ringing words of resolve, the signers of . . . — Map (db m114543) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis DepictedCity Dock — Public Art In Annapolis —
2005 Wings and Sails Annapolis has a stunning array of outdoor sculpture, paintings, murals, and other public artwork. Each of these paintings was commissioned by the Art in Public Places Commission. "Wings and Sails" is . . . — Map (db m114800) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis During The Civil WarAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
General Butler to Governor Hicks Off Annapolis, April 22, 1861 "Have I your excellency's permission...to land my men, to supply their wants, and to relieve them from the extreme and unhealthy confinement of a transport vessel not fit to . . . — Map (db m114563) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis Laboratory1903 - 1999
In this year, 1999, a 96-year tradition of technical excellence, personal achievement , and dedication to our Navy comes to a close. The legacy of this Laboratory will live on well into the next millennium. It is embodied in the people who worked . . . — Map (db m65867) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis National Cemetery
Civil War Annapolis In April 1861, Gen. Benjamin Butler and his Massachusetts troops entered the Maryland capital to ensure the state remained in the Union. The U.S. Army then reformed the Department of Annapolis, headed by Butler, to . . . — Map (db m114566) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis Water Company
Chartered in 1865 by the Maryland General Assembly after a fire at the State House in 1863. Waterworks began operation in 1866, designed by noted civil engineer William Rich Hutton, who had recently completed Washington Aqueduct. Innovative concrete . . . — Map (db m51852) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis: Capital of Commerce
In the decades before the American Revolution, Annapolis was the customs port for the upper Bay western shore. Ships clearing in and out paid duties and fees to the local naval officer. With good shipyards (including Ship Carpenters Lot north of the . . . — Map (db m19288) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 6 — Anne Catharine GreenAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
This image of Anne Catharine Green pays homage to her as the first woman printer/publisher in the country. Appointed by the Maryland Assembly as the Official Printer of the Province, she printed all public documents and currency of the colony. Green . . . — Map (db m114789) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Aris T. Allen, M.D.Dec. 27, 1910 - Feb 8, 1991
A man of honor...A distinguished career of professional and public service...As a Medical Doctor...As a member of the Maryland State Legislature...As an appointee of The President of the United States, to serve his Country on the National . . . — Map (db m5418) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Art in AnnapolisAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
Annapolis Charter 300, the city wide commemoration in 2008 of the 1708 city charter granted during Queen Anne's reign, was especially rich in inspiring original public art, music and choral work, a ballet suite, films, sculpture, photography, . . . — Map (db m114546) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Asbury United Methodist Church
Site of the oldest and most prominent African American congregation in Annapolis, MD. In 1803, seven free African Americans bought the land and established the First African Methodist Episcopal Church. It was closed in 1832 in a local reaction to . . . — Map (db m6191) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Baron Johann de Kalb, 1721 - 1780Revolutionary War Hero
Baron Johann de Kalb was a distinguished German soldier who served as a major general in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He was a friend and mentor of the Marquis de Lafayette.

De Kalb served at Valley Forge during . . . — Map (db m75680) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Battle of the Severn
On March 25, 1655, colonial Governor William Stone landed Maryland militia at the Puritan settlement of Providence, located at the mouth of the Severn River. He planned to subdue the settlers who had asserted their independence from the government . . . — Map (db m53178) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Bay Workboats
Over the past 400 years, distinctive types of boats were developed for seafood harvesting and shipping on the Bay. Native Americans made the first dugout canoe from a hollowed-out log. The earliest English boat builders, called . . . — Map (db m114883) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Between Morning and MidnightMaryland Fire Rescue Services Memorial Sculpture
The firefighter and EMS provider are ascending the staircase of time as they depart from this world. they are running to their calling to do the job of serving our community with strenght, determination and sacrifice as if going to war. The second . . . — Map (db m9286) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Beyond the BridgeCity Dock — The Neighborhood of Eastport —
1870 A New Village across Spa Creek The maritime industry and the history of Annapolis are closely intertwined. This connection extends beyond downtown to historic Eastport, the neighborhood located across the Spa Creek Bridge. . . . — Map (db m114799) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Blue Angels
[Plaque near the display:] On the occasion of the 65th anniversary of the founding of the Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, the Blue Angels, this aircraft display is dedicated in memory of all Blue Angels' aircrew lost in team flight . . . — Map (db m127947) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — British 24 Pounder
Captured on the British flagship Confiance on Lake Champlain, September 11, 1814, by Commodore Thomas MacDonough. This gun has a dent on the muzzle from an American shot which caused the gun to recoil and kill the British commander, . . . — Map (db m7812) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Brown-Leanos Memorial Park
Dedicated to the Brown and Leanos families that operated a grocery and restaurant business, respectively at this location since the late 1890's. Originally dedicated on September 10, 1990 Rededicated May 13, 2000 — Map (db m6387) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Burning of the Brig "Peggy Stewart"
Near this spot which was then the shore of the bay, the Brig “Peggy Stewart” was burned by her owner, “Anthony Stewart.” October 19, 1774 To pacify the indignation of the citizens roused by the payment of . . . — Map (db m6313) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Butler in Annapolis
The 8th Massachusetts Infantry reached Annapolis April 21, 1861, on the Railroad Ferry Maryland. Col. Benjamin F. Butler forwarded his and the 7th New York Infantry Regiments to Washington. Shortly he was directed to prevent the legislature from . . . — Map (db m6312) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Cap'n Herbie SadlerThe Legacy of an Eastport Waterman
Herbert Edgar Sadler was born to a waterman's family in 1902. He began learning the trade at the age of 12, earning a penny for each fish he cleaned for a local seafood vendor. His experience led to a life's work on the water. Cap'n Sadler . . . — Map (db m130941) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Centennial of the United States Navy Submarine Force
100 Years From the Depths - Sea Power 1900 - 2000 Dedicated to those who serve beneath the seas, families and support personnel [Back of marker}:In recognition of the generosity of the following donors Lockheed Martin . . . — Map (db m6398) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 6 — Chase-Lloyd HouseThe Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up the Ship —
Patriot politician and future Declaration of Independence signer Samuel Chase began building this Georgian mansion in 1769, but he couldn't afford to finish the house and sold it two years later to Edward Lloyd IV. The wealthy Eastern Shore planter . . . — Map (db m63497) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Class of 1956 Memorial Plaza
Given in recognition of all members of the Class of 1956 who served our nation so faithfully in Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force careers; in industry, government, and the professions; and to our wives and families whose continuing support was so . . . — Map (db m127932) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Classes of 1958 and 1959 Memorial Plaza
This plaza was presented by the Classes of 1958 and 1959 in memory of their classmates who gave their lives in the service of their country. — Map (db m114855) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Clay Street Community MontageAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
This montage is the collaborative effort of George "Lassie" Belt, children from the Stanton Community Center (listed below), and Artwalk curator, Sally Wern Comport. This artwork, part of the Annapolis 300 celebration, is at the entrance to the Clay . . . — Map (db m130944) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Coastal EvolutionMarket House — The Shoreline of Annapolis —
1878 City Dock in Annapolis In the 1700s, the shore of Annapolis followed approximately along the line of buildings that now front Dock Street, Market Space, and part of Compromise Street—everything closer to the water is . . . — Map (db m114794) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Colonial Annapolis
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m6199) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Commander William Lewis Herndon1813 - 1857 — Naval Officer - Explorer - Merchant Captain —
In command of the Central America, home-bound with California Gold seekers, Captain Herndon lost his life in a gallant effort to save ship and lives during a cyclone off Hatteras, September 12, 1857 "Forgetful of self, in his death he . . . — Map (db m7213) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Commodore John BarryCommission Number One United States Navy
February 22, 1797: At the Presidential Mansion in Philadelphia, President George Washington formally presented Irish-born John Barry with Commission Number One in the newly formed United States Navy. With the commission, backdated to the . . . — Map (db m114812) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Commodore John BarryAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
Annapolis' Sister City of Wexford, Ireland, was the boyhood home of John Barry, naval hero of the American Revolution. Barry went to sea as a young boy and advanced to be master of his own vessel. he settled in America and in 1776 joined the . . . — Map (db m114944) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Congress Was HereWest Street — At the End of the Revolution —
1784 Peace Treaty Ratified [Image Captions:] •Governor William Paca's Proclamation of the ratification of the Treaty of Paris. Treaty of Paris Broadside Collection [MSA SC 5785] •The last page of the Treaty of Paris, . . . — Map (db m114555) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Cornhill & Fleet Streets
The oldest surviving map of Annapolis, drawn by James Stoddert in 1718, shows that the area now occupied by Corhill and Fleet Streets, had been set aside for Governor Francis Nocholson for use as a garden, summer house and vineyard. In 1771 Charles . . . — Map (db m17689) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Dahlgren Rifle 30-Pounder, Invented by Rear Admiral Dahlgren
Dahlgren Rifle 30-Pounder, invented by Rear Admiral Dahlgren used by the Federal Navy during the Civil War A forerunner of the big naval gun of today — Map (db m114820) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Dedicated to you, a free citizen in a free land
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to Maryland by direction of The Honorable John Snyder Secretary of the Treasury as the inspirational symbol of the United States savings bonds independence drive from May 15 to July 4 . . . — Map (db m63419) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Draketail Peg WallaceAnnapolis Maritime Museum
The draketail vessel made its appearance on the waters of the Chesapeake Bay in the early 1900s. The name "draketail" came from the appearance of its stern which resembles the aft end of a duck. The draketail was the first power-driven workboat used . . . — Map (db m114872) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Dred Scott, 1799 - 1858Freedom Denied by the United States Supreme Court
Dred Scott was born a slave in Southampton, Virginia. His family was owned by Peter Blow who sold Scott to an army doctor named John Emerson. Dr. Emerson took Scott to live in the free states of Illinois and Wisconsin where, in 1836, Scott married . . . — Map (db m123233) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Eastport Veterans Park
[Park sign:] Eastport Veterans Park [Dedication plaque:] In memory of those who served in the defense of our country Dedicated May 30 1951 [Plaque embedded in the ground at flagpole:] June . . . — Map (db m114861) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Eastport's Oldest House
This is the oldest house in Eastport. For nearly 100 years it belonged to the Williams family. Jonas and Louisa Williams and their eight children moved here in 1876. They used the first floor as a grocery store, selling homemade sauerkraut to . . . — Map (db m114880) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — El Neptuno
Spanish 12-pounder bronze smooth bore gun named El Neptuno Captured by the United States Navy from the Mexicans in California in 1847 — Map (db m29642) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Evoking Our Naval Heritage PastSailing Confidently Into The Future
Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium has been called a "Memorial that happens to be a stadium". While visitors and athletes for nearly 50 years have been inspired by the campaigns and battles emblazoned around the stadium facade, much more needed to . . . — Map (db m127935) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Evolutions of Strawberry HillUnited States Naval Academy — National Historic Landmark —
Historical records of colonial Annapolis show that Richard Spriggs, an important 18th Century Annapolitan, had a house built on Strawberry Hill in 1780. By 1796 Spriggs had leased the house to Henri Stier, an investment banker from Antwerp, and his . . . — Map (db m60913) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Ferry Point Road
Formerly an Indian trail to cross South River. In early colonial times it became a principle thoroughfare connecting Annapolis with southern Maryland and Virginia. George Washington remarked on the beautiful roses that still flourish there. — Map (db m9287) HM

4984 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 4784
Paid Advertisement