Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Maryland

5313 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 5113
 
Barrellville Honor Roll Marker [Bottom plaque] image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, May 24, 2019
Barrellville Honor Roll Marker [Bottom plaque]
Maryland (Allegany County), Barrellville — Barrellville Honor Roll
On Barrelville Road Northwest (Maryland Route 47) just south of Barney Engle Road Northwest, on the left when traveling south.
World War I and World War II Veterans [Names not listed] Other Veterans Who Served Our Country [Names not listed]Map (db m134391) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Barton — Major Robert E. Townley
Near Pine Swamp Road at Westernport Road.
In loving memory of Major Robert E. Townley, Strategic Air Command, May 3, 1921 - Jan. 13, 1964. — Map (db m67308) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Barton — The Crash of Buzz One Four
On Westernport Road 0.2 miles north of Pine Swamp Road, on the left when traveling north.
Near this site, at 1:42 am on January 13th 1964, a B-52 bomber, call sign "Buzz One Four", crashed during a blizzard. The plane, with a crew of five, was armed with two 9-megaton nuclear weapons. Four of the five crew members ejected from the plane. . . . — Map (db m96446) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Clarysville — Clarysville General HospitalCenter for Healing
On Clarysville Road SW at Vale Summit Road (Maryland Route 55), on the right when traveling south on Clarysville Road SW.
The Clarysville Inn once stood in front of you to the right. In this tavern, and in a complex of buildings constructed around it, the United States established a general hospital during the Civil War. On March 6, 1862, U.S. soldiers commandeered the . . . — Map (db m37540) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Corriganville — Corriganville Honor Roll
On Kreighbaum Road (County Route 831C) at Corrigan Drive, on the right when traveling west on Kreighbaum Road.
In memory of our service men and women who lost their lives in the line of duty and to honor those who served in our Armed Forces. — Map (db m134392) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cresaptown — Brady's CrossingPartisan Ranger Raid
On Darrows Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
In the early morning darkness on February 21, 1865, Lt. Jesse McNeill and his 66 Partisan Rangers (Confederate guerrillas) descended Knobly Mountain and stopped briefly at the residence of Felix R. Seymour, a Southern sympathizer. They then forded . . . — Map (db m4680) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — "Braddock's Road"
On Braddock Road (Maryland Route 49) at Greene Street (U.S. 220), on the left when traveling west on Braddock Road.
Near this point on June 10, 1755, after nearly a month's delay at Fort Cumberland, Braddock's troops started toward Fort Duquesne to wrest it from the French. On July 9, 1755, he met his terrible death at the Monongahela. — Map (db m134854) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — “The Narrows”
On National Highway (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling north.
One of the most picturesque spots around Cumberland, discovered by Spendelow after the road over Wills Mountain had been constructed by General Braddock. Adopted as the route of the Cumberland Road (The National Road) 1833. The old stone bridge . . . — Map (db m4927) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — 213 Washington Street
On Washington Street just west of Spruce Place, on the right when traveling west.
Built ca. 1845 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134399) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — 217 Washington Street
On Washington Street just west of Spruce Place, on the right when traveling west.
Built ca. 1900 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134400) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — 222 Washington Street
On Washington Street west of Spruce Place, on the left when traveling west.
Built ca. 1894 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134401) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — 301 Washington Street
On Washington Street at North Lee Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Street.
Built ca. 1860 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134403) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — A Boom for CumberlandThe National Road Meets the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad — The Historic National Road / The Road That Built The Nation —
On Baltimore Street at North George Street, on the right when traveling west on Baltimore Street.
The National Road and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad came together at this spot in 1842 at Cumberland’s first railroad station. For a few years, it was necessary for passengers and freight to transfer from railroad cars to coach and wagon for the . . . — Map (db m81402) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Abandonment of Ft. Cumberland — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Near Prospect Square.
Fort Cumberland was garrisoned from 1754 to 1765. During this period, there was bickering between Maryland and Virginia as to how the fort should be maintained and whose control it was under. In early 1756, Colonel Washington favored a small . . . — Map (db m17708) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Algonquian Hotel
On Baltimore Street just east of Cumberland Street, on the left when traveling east.
Algonquian Hotel has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Circa 1926 — Map (db m139109) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Allegany County
Near Washington Street at Prospect Square.
. . . — Map (db m17452) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Allegany County AcademyCivil War Hospital
On Washington Street at Prospect Square, on the right when traveling west on Washington Street.
During the Civil War, enormous numbers of sick and wounded soldiers overwhelmed both medical science and available hospitals. Approximately fifteen buildings in Cumberland were pressed into service to care for the maimed and ill. Besides warehouses, . . . — Map (db m139091) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Allegany County LibraryCumberland Free Public Library
On Washington Street, on the right when traveling west.
Top Name of Cumberland Free Public Library changed to Allegany County Library July 1, 1960 Bottom 1798 • First public school in Western Maryland incorporated under Act of 1798 as "Visitors of Allegany County School." 1824 • School name changed to . . . — Map (db m17676) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Alteration of the Site — Fort Cumberland Trail —
On Washington St., on the left when traveling west.
Many changes have been made to the landscape on which Fort Cumberland stood. The street behind you was cut from the hillside and the earth removed used by the canal company. the bluff to your left in front of the church once extended on a nearly . . . — Map (db m18757) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — B’er Chayim (Well of Life) CongregationDedicated March 2, 1867
On West Union Street just east of South Centre Street, on the right when traveling east.
Jewish citizenry in Cumberland can be documented back to 1816. By 1853 twelve Jewish families had taken residence in this growing city of 6150 people. It was this small group which applied to the Maryland General Assembly for an Act incorporating . . . — Map (db m134329) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Baltimore Street BridgeCity of Cumberland, Maryland — Built 1916 —
On Greene Street at Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling north on Greene Street.
West of this bridge, now the site of Emmanuel Church, was located Fort Cumberland, whence, in, 1755, the expedition against Fort Duquesne was led by General Edward Braddock and Colonel George Washington. On this site were located wooden bridges . . . — Map (db m139108) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Bane House
On Washington Street west of North Lee Street, on the right when traveling west.
Bane House 1922 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134404) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Bell Tower
On Bedford Street west of North Centre Street, on the left when traveling west.
Bell Tower First Jail and Police Station Erected 1886 Named to National Register Feb. 20, 1973 — Map (db m134398) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Boat Building at the Cumberland Basin
On W. Harrison Street, on the right when traveling south.
Cumberland, the western terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, was the location where the George's Creek coal from western Allegany County was transferred from the short line railroads to canal boats for shipment east. Cumberland was also the . . . — Map (db m67484) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Canada Hose Company No. 1
On North Mechanic Street west of Smith Street, on the right when traveling east.
Built by volunteer firemen 1845 Canada Company organized 1830 Cumberland Hose Company organized 1839 Equipment included : Gooseneck fire engine – four ladders – three hooks – three axes and 30 dollars a gift of the . . . — Map (db m134393) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Capture of GeneralsCapture of Generals B.F. Kelly and George Crook — Nights, February 21–22, 1865 —
On Baltimore Street at Queen City Drive, on the left when traveling east on Baltimore Street.
A company of Confederates, young men from Cumberland, Maryland, Hampshire and Hardy Counties, West Virginia, captured several picket posts, obtained the countersign “Bulls Gap,” rode into the city, captured two commanding Union Generals, . . . — Map (db m490) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Capture of Generals B.F. Kelly and George CrookNights, February 21–22, 1865
On North George Street at Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling north on North George Street.
A company of Confederates, young men from Cumberland, Maryland, Hampshire and Hardy Counties, West Virginia, captured several picket posts, obtained the countersign “Bulls Gap,” rode into the city, captured two commanding Union Generals, . . . — Map (db m81416) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Christ's (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church
On North Centre Street at Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling north on North Centre Street.
A building on this site Christ's (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church May 11, 1794 "Mother of Lutheranism" in Allegany Co. — Map (db m81506) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Church of Saint PatrickCumberland, Maryland
On North Centre Street north of Market Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Cumberland Roman Catholic Parish was established in 1790 by Father Dennis Cahill, a missionary working in Western Maryland. A log church dedicated to Mary the Mother of God was soon erected in 1791 at the front of the parish property. From . . . — Map (db m134395) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Church of St. Patrick, Cumberland
On North Centre Street at Market Street, on the right when traveling west on North Centre Street.
A log chapel dedicated to St. Mary was built on this site in 1791. The first parishioners were mostly English Catholics from Southern Maryland. A brick church replaced the log building in 1939. Cumberland became a major center of transportation and . . . — Map (db m134394) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Civil War in Allegany CountyStrategic Location
On Canal Street south of Baltimore Street, on the left when traveling south.
During the Civil War, thousands of United States soldiers were stationed here in Cumberland and Allegany County to guard against raids and incursions by Confederate forces. Located only about 130 miles from the capital at Washington. . . . — Map (db m1049) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Joshua Fry
Near Greene St..
Memorial in honor of Col. Joshua Fry Born c. 1700 in England 1731 • Professor of mathematics at William and Mary College, Planter in Albemarle County, Virginia, Member of House of Burgesses, First presiding judge of Albemarle County, Commander . . . — Map (db m54023) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Thomas Cresap
Near Greene St..
In Memory of Col. Thomas Cresap Pathfinder - Pioneer - Patriot - Built the first home and fort in this county at Oldtown, about 1740 Surveyed the first trail to the west, starting near this spot in 1751 His Sons - - - Daniel Cresap for whom . . . — Map (db m17778) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Crossroads of America Mural
On Canal Street 0.1 miles north of West Harrison Street, on the left when traveling north.
About this sign The outline drawing above represents the heritage-themed mural to your right. The mural is organized chronologically into sections. Each section is described here, with accompanying historic images. Prior . . . — Map (db m139112) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — CumberlandStrategic Center
Near Fort Avenue. Reported damaged.
In 1860, Cumberland was a small town of 7,302 residents, most of whom lived in the valley of Will’s Creek. The town was an important stop on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and the western terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. When the Civil . . . — Map (db m14038) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — CumberlandStrategic Center
On Prospect Square at Washington Street, on the left when traveling north on Prospect Square.
In 1860, Cumberland was a small town of 7,302 residents, most of whom lived in the valley of Will’s Creek. The town was an important stop on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and the western terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. When the Civil . . . — Map (db m17674) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — CumberlandTown Map and Directory — Cumberland - The Place To Visit, The Place To Live —
On Baltimore Street at Canal Street, on the right when traveling west on Baltimore Street.
Downtown The Downtown Cumberland Mall is the main shopping and dining district for the city. The brick street is lined with large multi-story commercial buildings, which were built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These buildings . . . — Map (db m139110) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — CumberlandTown Map and Directory
On Canal Street just north of West Harrison Street, on the left when traveling north.
Downtown Cumberland The Flood of March 29, 1924 inflicted almost $5 million worth of destruction in the City of Cumberland. Telephone, telegraph, roads and electric wires were washed away. Though not as bad, another flood occurred on May 12th . . . — Map (db m139111) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland
On Great Allegheny Passage 0.1 miles north of Baltimore Street, on the left when traveling north.
In 1749 Christopher Gist, an agent for the Ohio Company, arrived at the junction of the Wills Creek and the North Branch of the Potomac River to erect a trading post. In anticipation of the French and Indian War a fort was constructed in 1754 upon . . . — Map (db m139113) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland City Hall
On North Centre Street at Bedford Street, on the left when traveling north on North Centre Street.
Cumberland City Hall Named to the National Register of Historic Places March 1973 — Map (db m134396) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland Gateway Westward — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Near Greene St..
Will's Creek Settlement, later known as Cumberland, served as a major gateway for trade, military campaigns against the French, and settlement beyond the mountains in our growing nation. "The New Storehouses" of the Ohio Company were across the . . . — Map (db m17783) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland SurrendersBetween the Line — Gettysburg Campaign —
Near Fort Avenue just north of Reservoir Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
In June 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee ordered Gen. John D. Imboden to protect the army's left flank as it marched north through the Shenandoah Valley. Imboden was to draw Union forces into Hampshire County, West Virginia, and destroy bridges . . . — Map (db m139122) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland Terminus: Yesterday and TodayChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
On W. Harrison Street, on the right when traveling south.
Independence Day, July 4th, 1828, would be an important day for Cumberland, Maryland. On that day, far to the east, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad both broke ground. The finish line of these companies' race was the . . . — Map (db m67478) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Cumberland Veterans Memorial
On South Centre Street just south of West Harrison Street, on the left when traveling north.
A memorial to all, living and dead, who have served in our nation's Armed Forces. They are not lost who fought and fell. ...they only wait aheadMap (db m139117) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Emmanuel Episcopal Church
On Washington Street just east of Prospect Square, on the right when traveling east.
Built 1848 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m139105) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Famous Personalities at Fort Cumberland — Fort Cumberland Trail —
On Prospect Square at Washington Street, on the left when traveling south on Prospect Square.
Horatio Sharpe Lived: 1718-1790. Here as Governor of Maryland and the commander of the fort. Fort Frederick was built by his direction. Governor: 1753-1769. Sharpsburg, Md., was named in his honor. Daniel Boone Lived: 1734-1820. Here as a . . . — Map (db m17681) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — First Church of Christ, Scientist
On Washington Street just east of Prospect Square, on the right when traveling east.
ca. 1878 National Register Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m139104) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — First Federal Court and Postoffice
On North Liberty Street at Frederick Street, on the right when traveling south on North Liberty Street.
First Federal Court and Postoffice Named to the National Register of Historic Places May 1973 — Map (db m134397) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Folck's Mill
Near Ali Ghan Shrine Road (Maryland Route 144).
Here in Evitts Creek Valley on August 1, 1864, General McCausland's Confederate cavalry, returning after burning Chambersburg, was surprised by General Kelley's Union troops from Cumberland. The Confederates were repulsed and retreated across the . . . — Map (db m17903) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Folck's Mill
Near Ali Ghan Road NE.
Here in Evitts Creek Valley on August 1, 1864, General McCausland's Confederate cavalry, returning after burning Chambersburg, was surprised by General Kelley's Union troops from Cumberland. The Confederates were repulsed and retreated . . . — Map (db m19320) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Folck's MillConfederate Raid
Near Ali Ghan Road NE.
Late in July 1864, Confederate Gen. John C. McCausland led his two cavalry brigades (about 2,800 men) northward into Pennsylvania and Maryland to capture Chambersburg and Cumberland and either collect a ransom or burn the towns. McCausland burned . . . — Map (db m19328) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Fort Cumberland TrailA new opportunity for outdoor recreation — Fort Cumberland Trail —
On Greene Street at Bridge Street on Greene Street.
This is an American Revolution bicentennial project to permanently record the history of one of the City of Cumberland's most historic sites, Fort Cumberland. The beautiful interpretive plaques tell the story and the attractive white rocks mark the . . . — Map (db m17714) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — French and Indian War — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Near Prospect Square.
"A volley fired by a young Virginian in the backwoods of America set the world on fire" Fort Cumberland was built as a direct result of hostilities between the French and British over control of the Ohio Valley. The British king granted land . . . — Map (db m17683) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — George Washington at Will’s Creek — Fort Cumberland Trail —
On Greene Street at Bridge Street on Greene Street.
Our founding father spent much time in this vicinity when a young man as surveyor, ambassador, aide-de-camp to General Braddock, and commander of Virginia military forces. This cabin served as his headquarters during part of this time. Young George . . . — Map (db m17719) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On Canal Street at Baltimore Street, on the left when traveling south on Canal Street.
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m1051) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Gov. Lloyd Lowndes 1845 - 19051842 Home
On Washington Street at Prospect Square, on the right when traveling west on Washington Street.
Site 1842 Home Gov. Lloyd Lowndes 1845 - 1905 Only person from Allegany County elected Governor of Maryland Served from 1895 to 1900 — Map (db m17673) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Headquarters of George Washington
Near Greene Street at Bridge Street.
As colonel under General Braddock at Fort Cumberland during the French and Indian War 1755 - 1758 and as Commander-in-Chief of the American Army in 1794Presented to the City of Cumberland by James Walter Thomas, L.L.D.; Litt.D. dedicated April . . . — Map (db m17724) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Indians and Fort CumberlandFort Cumberland Trail
On Washington Street just east of Prospect Square, on the right when traveling east.
Indians served on both sides during the French and Indian War. Some tribes seemed to switch loyalties during the war, when it better suited their purposes. Indians camped near here to consult with General Braddock just before his fateful expedition . . . — Map (db m139102) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Jane FrazierWife of Lieut. John Frazier
On Evitts Creek Drive Southeast south of East Industrial Highway (Maryland Route 51), on the right when traveling south.
Jane Frazier wife of Lieut. John Frazier was captured by Indians near this spot in October 1755 and taken to the Miami River. She escaped after eighteen months and made her way back to her home. — Map (db m402) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Life on the Canal
On W. Harrison Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal ran from Georgetown in Washington, D.C. (Mile 0) to Cumberland, MD (Mile 184.5), paralleling the Potomac River. Most of the heavy shipping originated from the western terminus at Cumberland. Boatmen carrying coal, . . . — Map (db m67482) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — McNeill’s RaidCapture of Crook and Kelly
On Baltimore Street at Queen City Drive, on the left when traveling east on Baltimore Street.
In the predawn darkness of February 21, 1865, Confederate Lt. Jesse McNeill and his partisan (guerrilla) rangers rode into Cumberland from the west on this road. Unlike most raiders who targeted the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad for attack, McNeill . . . — Map (db m716) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Memorial Park
On Greenway Avenue just north of Cecil Street, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m139123) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Metropolitan A.M.E. ChurchDecatur Street
On Decatur Street just east of Frederick Street, on the right when traveling west.
Built by freed slaves 1892 National Register of Historical Places Organized 1837 Built Frederick Street Chapel 1848 — Map (db m139116) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Military Hospital
On Liberty Street.
On this site stood the First Presbyterian Church. During the Civil War it was used as a military hospital — Map (db m19336) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — National Road Monument200 Year Celebration and Dedication
On Bridge Street (at milepost 0),.
This monument is dedicated to the eternal spirits of our forebears. Their inspiration and determination to begin building our Nation's public infrastructure in Cumberland, Maryland, in 1811, helped secure our country's growth and prosperity. It is . . . — Map (db m97321) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Ohio Co. and Fort CumberlandFort Cumberland Trail
On Greene Street at Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling north on Greene Street.
Fort Cumberland grew out of the efforts of The Ohio Company to speculate in land and establish a fur trade with the Indians between here and the Ohio Valley and the efforts of the British government to enforce land claims in these areas. The . . . — Map (db m139107) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — On this Site Originally Stood the Headquarters of George Washington
On Washington Street at Prospect Square, on the left when traveling west on Washington Street.
On this site originally stood the Headquarters of George Washington, since removed to Riverside Park. He was entertained at David Lynn's house (which later occupied this site) when he came here in 1794 to review the troops during the Whisky . . . — Map (db m17451) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — On This Site Stood Metro Clothes
On South Mechanic Street at Baltimore Street, on the left when traveling north on South Mechanic Street.
Owned and managed by Joseph Feldstein, Metro Clothes was established in 1932 and originally located across the street. The business relocated to this site after the 1936 flood. Metro Clothes was a leading outfitter in men’s and boys’ clothing and . . . — Map (db m58358) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Our Local Indian Heritage — Fort Cumberland Trail —
On Greene St..
The land west of the Allegheny Mountains was exclusively the Indians until the mid 1700's. The local Indians were part of the Shawanese tribe and a sub-division of the Algonquin Nation-one of the most warlike. With the coming of the white man, most . . . — Map (db m18724) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Palisado Fort or Stockade — Fort Cumberland Trail —
Near Greene St..
Most of the early frontier forts were of the palisado type. Before you is a small sample of this type construction. A palisade is a fence of pales or stakes set firmly in the ground, as for enclosure or defense. The word usage in the 1700's was . . . — Map (db m17782) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Perimeter of the FortFort Cumberland Trail
On Washington St., on the left when traveling west.
You stand upon historic ground within the north wall of Fort Cumberland. Your location (X) is shown on the diagram. Lines of barracks (I), parallel with the street, were to your front and in the rear along the line of white rocks in the street. The . . . — Map (db m18758) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Picket Post No. 1McNeill's Raid to Steal Generals
On McMullen Highway Southwest (U.S. 220) 0.2 miles south of National Freeway (Interstate 68), on the right when traveling south.
In the predawn darkness of February 21, 1865, Confederate Lt. Jesse McNeill and his Partisan Rangers approached Cumberland from the west on this road. Unlike most guerrilla raiders, who targeted the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, McNeill had other . . . — Map (db m139089) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — President Washington's Last Visit - 1794
On Washington Street at Prospect Square, on the left when traveling west on Washington Street.
Center Plaque On October 16, 1794, President George Washington arrived in Cumberland to review about 5,000 troops of the Maryland and Virginia militia gathered here during th Whiskey Rebellion. A few days later, this militia army assembled upon . . . — Map (db m17456) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Riverside Park
On Greene St. at Bridge Street on Greene St..
Land for this park was donated to the city in 1893. The park formerly included the site of the bridge approached to your right and an area extending along the river bank upstream. Then, there were extensive walkways, benches, flowerbeds, a viewing . . . — Map (db m17711) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Shriver House
On Washington Street west of South Lee Street, on the left when traveling west.
Shriver House ca. 1859 National Register of Historic Places Washington Street Historic District — Map (db m134402) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Site of Bridge 1834
On National Highway (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling north.
Built by Thomas Fealy Lieut. Jno. Pickell U.S. Engineer H. M. Pettit Ass’t Supd’t. — Map (db m4928) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Site of Fort Cumberland
On Greene St. at Washington Street on Greene St..
The store houses of The Ohio Company were first located near this point. In 1754 the first fort (called Mt. Pleasant) was built. Gen'l Edward Braddock enlarged the fort in 1755 and renamed it after his friend the Duke of Cumberland. — Map (db m53575) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The First Iron Rails
On National Highway (U.S. 40) west of Mt. Savage Road NW (Maryland Route 36), on the right when traveling east.
The first iron rails made in the United States were manufactured in 1844 at Mount Savage. Before that time all iron rails were imported from England. — Map (db m445) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The First National Bank and Trust Company of Western Maryland
On Baltimore St..
was originally chartered as the Cumberland Bank of Alleghany by an act of the 1811 Maryland Legislature and opened for business April 1, 1812. this is the oldest bank in Western Maryland and the second oldest National Bank in the state. Local . . . — Map (db m19337) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Fort BastionsFort Cumberland Trail
On Washington Street just east of Prospect Square, on the right when traveling east.
You stand near the wall of one of Fort Cumberland's four bastions. These (+) an your position (X) are indicated on the fort diagram. A bastion is a projecting portion of a fortification. It's purpose is to allow defenders added firepower along the . . . — Map (db m139103) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Fort Proper — Fort Cumberland Trail —
On Washington Street at Prospect Square, on the right when traveling west on Washington Street.
The fort proper was the bastioned work at the west end of the fort. It was to your left (primarily on the site of the Church of Christ Scientist). Besides the four bastions (b) and the joining walls, there were four buildings for provisions (6), two . . . — Map (db m17679) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The NarrowsAn Easier Route for the National Road
On National Highway (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling north.
At first, the National Road climbed west from Cumberland up and over Haystack Mountain. In the 1830s, when the road was rebuilt, a new route was chosen. It would be a mile longer but the grade was substantially decreased so that horse teams could . . . — Map (db m4926) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The National Road(Called The Cumberland Road)
On National Highway (Maryland Route 40) west of Mary Court, on the left when traveling west.
Was the first of the internal improvements undertaken by the U.S. Government. Surveys were authorized in 1806 over the route of “Braddock’s Road,” which followed “Nemacolin’s Path,” an Indian trail, over which George . . . — Map (db m444) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The National RoadThe Road that Built the Nation
On W. Harrison Street, on the right when traveling south.
“. . . so many happy people, restless in the midst of abundance.” —Alexis de Tocqueville, 1840. Americans are an adventurous people. From past to present, they have used feet, horses, wagons, stagecoaches, canals, . . . — Map (db m67479) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Old National Pike — Fort Cumberland Trail —
On Greene St. at Bridge Street on Greene St..
The National Pike was also called the National Road (used national funds) or the Cumberland Road (began in Cumberland). Behind you and to the right along the base of the hill, were the storehouses of The Ohio Company. The earliest rails were made by . . . — Map (db m18728) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Parade Ground of Fort CumberlandOccupied this site 1755
On Washington St. at Prospect Square, on the left when traveling west on Washington St..
Here the Indian envoys were received before Braddock left for his defeat. In 1756-58 the garrison under Col. Washington was still reviewed here. — Map (db m17453) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — This Tablet Marks the Site of Old Fort Cumberland
On Greene St. at Washington Street on Greene St..
Which was built in 1755 by order of the British Government and named in honor of the Duke of Cumberland, Captain General of the British Army. It was the base of military operations of General Edward Braddock and Colonel George Washington in the . . . — Map (db m18733) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Town Clock ChurchCornerstone June 1, 1848
On Bedford Street 0.2 miles south of Linden Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built by Old German Lutherians now owned by First Christian Congregation Clock awarded by town in contest National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m139115) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Trenches and Tunnels / Army Discipline — Fort Cumberland Trail —
On Prospect Square.
Trenches and Tunnels It was common for forts of this period to have rifle pits or trenches outside the walls as a line of first defense. Fort Cumberland was likely no exception. However, the excavations most people refer to apparently had other . . . — Map (db m17684) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Washington’s Road
On U.S. 220, on the right when traveling north.
By order of Colonel Bouquet, George Washington’s troops opened this road from Fort Cumberland to Reas-town (Bedford, Pa.) during July 1758. Bouquet and Washington conferred half way between these places July 30, 1758. — Map (db m6106) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Western Maryland Railway Station
Near Canal Street.
Opened July 1913 National Register of Historic Places Listed June 1973 Presented by Preservation Society of Allegany County September 1987 — Map (db m60547) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Where the Road BeganThe Historic National Road - The Road That Built the Nation
On Greene Street at Bridge Street on Greene Street.
You are standing at the starting point of this country's first federal road building project, the National Road. A vision of George Washington as a means to develop the continent and to unite the country, his idea was championed by Thomas Jefferson . . . — Map (db m17716) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Wright Butler House
On Columbia Street 0.1 miles west of Polk Street, on the right when traveling west.
Wright Butler House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior c. 1896 — Map (db m139114) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — “The Warrior’s Path”
On Historic National Road (Maryland Route 144) 0.2 miles east of Murley's Branch Road, on the right when traveling east.
War path of the five nations from central New York to the Carolinas. One of the longest Indian trails in America, crossed this highway about this point. — Map (db m3489) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — American Indian Rockshelter Trail
Near Old Hancock Road.
Eons ago, before there was a lake and dam that filled the valley, an ancient stream flowed through from the north. Now known as Rock Gap Run, it slowly cut through the rising sandstone bedrock that eventually became Evitts Mountain. The . . . — Map (db m95908) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Evart's Homesite
Near Pleasant Valley Road.
This site is believed to be the homesite and final resting place of Mr. Evart (Evitt) who, reportedly, was the first white settler in Allegany County. He came here in the early 1700's to escape civilization and live as a hermit. The . . . — Map (db m95688) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Flintstone Veterans Memorial
On National Pike Northeast (Maryland Route 144) at Black Valley Road on National Pike Northeast.
A memorial to our veterans both living and dead who served in the Armed Forces of the United States In honor of SPL 4 Donald Klinton awarded the bronze star with V Device for heroism 1967 Killed Mar. 25, 1968 while serving with . . . — Map (db m134412) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — John Mash Jr."A Forest is God's Garden"
On Headquarters Drive 0.2 miles west of M. V. Smith Road NE, on the left when traveling west.

Recognizing his contributions to forest conservation and historic preservation at Green Ridge State Forest

25 years of state service 1971-1996 Forest Manager 1975-1988 Author of The Land of the Living Championed the . . . — Map (db m95917) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Life in Pleasant Valley
Near Lake Shore Drive north of Exit 50 (Interstate 68).
Before the park was developed in 1974, this valley was rich with farmland and timber. Seven farms worked the soil and grew corn, winter wheat and rye. Two of the farms raised dairy cows. The Raines family farm had approximately 189 acres and had . . . — Map (db m99149) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Log Roll Trail
On Headquarters Drive 0.3 miles west of M. V. Smith Road NE, on the right when traveling west.

Log Roll Overlook offers the hiker an enjoyable westward view of the Town Creek watershed and a view of three states. The overlook was named for logs that were rolled down the steep mountain slope in the late 1800s, to a sawmill on Town Creek. . . . — Map (db m95911) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Long Pond Trail
On Headquarters Drive 0.3 miles west of M. V. Smith Road NE, on the right when traveling west.

Long Pond Trail follows the 15-Mile Creek stream valley. This trail winds over ridges and valleys with several steep ascents and descents. These features make it one of the most challenging trails at Green Ridge State Forest.

The trail is . . . — Map (db m95916) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Martins MountainSunday Drivers and “Tin-Can Tourists"
Near Pleasant Valley Road Northeast.
The National Road enjoyed a revival from about 1910-1960, with the rising popularity of the automobile. Tourist travel began in earnest when cars became reliable enough for the average person to take a long trip. “Waysiders,” people who . . . — Map (db m4922) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — McCausland's RaidA Pause to Rest — 1864 Chambersburg Raid —
On 15 Mile Creek Road Southeast north of National Pike Northeast, on the left when traveling north.
During the Civil War, retribution by one side for "atrocities" committed against civilian by the other quickly escalated. Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early, during his 1864 Maryland invasion, demanded that several towns pay "ransoms" or be . . . — Map (db m134413) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Pine Lick Trail
On Headquarters Drive 0.2 miles west of M. V. Smith Road NE, on the right when traveling west.

Pine Lick Trail is connected to landmarks of national historic significance.

THE MASON-DIXON LINE marks the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, as well as the northern edge of Green Ridge State Forest. Completed in the 1760s, this . . . — Map (db m95909) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — The Naming of the Lake
Near Old Hancock Road.
In 1970, this dam was constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers to impound Rocky Gap Run and create Lake Habeeb. The 243-acre lake is named in honor of Edward Habeeb who inspired the establishment of Rocky Gap State Park. This lake is typical . . . — Map (db m95907) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Twin Oaks Trail
On Headquarters Drive 0.3 miles west of M. V. Smith Road NE, on the right when traveling west.

This trail allows the hiker to experience Green Ridge State Forest in miniature. The trail follows ridges and valleys along mountain streams and crosses open fields. One section of the trail opens up into an expansive view of Town Hill and the . . . — Map (db m95913) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Allen Hall
Near Center Street north of American Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
In 1957 Wendell D. Allen Residence Hall for men was completed. This building was named for the member of the State Board of Education who served in 1935, 1942, 1949, and 1956, and served as Board President 1952 - 1957. — Map (db m134380) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Blazing Braddock's Road
On Historic National Road (Alternate U.S. 40), on the left when traveling west. Reported missing.
“We this day passed the ‘Aligany’ Mountain (Big Savage Mountain) which is a rocky ascent of more than two miles, in many places extremely steep…” Captain Robert Orme, June 15, 1755 British General Edward Braddock led a . . . — Map (db m5013) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Braddock Stone
On East Main Street, on the right.
The Braddock Stone, an early colonial highway marker, is named for British General Edward Braddock (1695—1755). During the early stages of the French and Indian War, General Braddock was dispatched to expel French forces from what is today . . . — Map (db m135549) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Chesapeake Hall
On Sandspring Drive west of University Drive, on the right when traveling east.
In 1970, Chesapeake Dining Hall was completed. This building was named after the Chesapeake Bay. — Map (db m134534) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Coal Mining
On New Hope Road 0.2 miles north of Depot Stret, on the right when traveling north.
Bituminous coal had been discovered in what is now Allegany County before the French and Indian War. Although farmers worked small individual diggings prior to the Nineteenth Century, it would not be until about 1820 that coal obtained some degree . . . — Map (db m96387) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cook Chapel
Near East College Avenue west of Wood Street, on the left when traveling west.
In 1963, Cook chapel was completed. It was located in the former dining room of Frost Hall and named for Carrie Edith Ricketts Cook, an English Instructor, who taught from 1925 to 1937. — Map (db m134384) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Depot
Near New Hope Rd NW.
As seen on the right, the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Depot at Frostburg was constructed in 1891. The depot served as a passenger and freight station enroute between Cumberland, Maryland down the rich coal-mining region of Georges Creek to . . . — Map (db m48853) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cumberland Hall
On Sandspring Drive west of University Drive, on the right when traveling west.
In 1986, Cumberland Residence Hall was completed. This hall was named for the closest major city to Frostburg. — Map (db m134531) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Dunkle Hall
Near University Drive south of Planetarium Drive, on the left when traveling south.
In 1970, Dunkle Hall was completed. This building was named for John L. Dunkle, Principal and President of Normal School #2 at Frostburg State Teachers College from 1923 - 1944. — Map (db m134528) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Elisabeth Hitchens Administration Building
Near Braddock Street (Maryland Route 736) west of Park Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
In 1978, the Administration Building opened. This building was dedicated in 1982 as the Elisabeth Hitchens Administration building to honor a 40-year employee of the College. Hitchins was the institution's first registrar (1934) and the first . . . — Map (db m134389) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Faculty Hall
Near East College Avenue east of Wood Street, on the right when traveling east.
In 1913, a new gymnasium and elementary school were completed. It was demolished in 1985. — Map (db m134381) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frampton Hall
On Environmental Drive north of Planetarium Drive, on the left when traveling north.
In 1965, the Jerome Frampton, Jr., library was completed. This building was named for the President of the State Board of Education. — Map (db m134527) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frederick Hall
Near Sandspring Drive near University Drive, on the left when traveling west.
In 1971, Frederick Residence Hall was completed. The building was named by popular student vote. — Map (db m134532) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frost Graves
On East Main Street (Alternate U.S. 40) east of Broadway.
This monument, erected in 1877, marks the graves of Meshach Frost (1787–1864) and his wife Catherine (1792–1876), founders of Frostburg. In 1812 they built their first home here. As the tavern Highland Hall, the building later . . . — Map (db m3550) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frost Hall
On East College Avenue west of Wood Street, on the left when traveling west.
In 1919, Frost Hall opened. Named for Catherine Frost, the daughter-in-law of the founder of Frostburg, this was the first residence hall and was designated for Women. — Map (db m134386) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgThe Frost Family Legacy
On East Main Street (Alternate U.S. 40) east of Broadway, on the left when traveling east.
Years before St. Michael’s Church was built, Meshach Frost and his wife Catherine purchased this property in 1812. When the Frosts bought the property, construction of the National Road was already underway. They soon found they were feeding . . . — Map (db m3551) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgThe National Road, Coal and Fancy Hotels
On East Main Street west of Water Street, on the right when traveling east.
The National Road has sustained Frostburg for almost two centuries. As the road was being surveyed in 1811, Josiah Frost began laying out lots. Businesses, serving passing stagecoaches and wagons, soon lined a developing Main Street. By . . . — Map (db m3553) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frostburg
On New Hope Road 0.2 miles north of Depot Street, on the right.
Frostburg can trace its history back to the very early 1800s, when the community was known as Mt. Pleasant and consisted of only three homes. By the time the National Road opened through in 1812, an early settler named Josiah Frost had lain off the . . . — Map (db m96388) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgMaryland's Mountain City
On New Hope Road 0.2 miles north of Depot Street, on the right.
Established: 1812 Elevation: 1820' Population: 9,002 County: Allegany Situated in the headwaters of the Georges Creek basin, Frostburg was settled in the early 1800's and served as a traveler's stop along the newly constructed National . . . — Map (db m96390) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Fuller House
On Braddock Street (Maryland Route 736) west of Park Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
In 1968, Fuller House was acquired by the college. This building is the former residence of William Fuller, grandson of one of Old Main's builders. — Map (db m134387) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — George's Creek Valley
On New Georges Creek Road (Maryland Route 36) at Hoffman Hollow Road, on the right when traveling north on New Georges Creek Road.
During colonial exploration and settlement the valley provided a route to the western frontier. In 1753, preceding the French and Indian War, George Washington traveled this route to deliver Gov. Dinwiddie's order that the French abandon their . . . — Map (db m84736) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Gunter Hall
Near Environmental Drive north of Planetarium Drive, on the right when traveling north.
In 1960, Gunter Hall opened as the new student center. Named for William A. Gunter, local attorney and former president of both the State Board of College Trustees and State Board of Education, this building originally housed a dining hall, snack . . . — Map (db m134378) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Historic Braddock Road1755
Near St. John's Rock Road 0.5 miles south of Beall School Road.
The following was taken from the journal of Robert Orme, aid de camp to General Braddock - June 15, 1755: We this day (with 2100 troops, 1500 hundred horses, 200 wagons and twelve cannons) passed the Allegany Mountains, which is a rocky ascent of . . . — Map (db m96391) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Lewis J. Ort Library
Near University Drive north of Stadium Road, on the right when traveling north.
In 1976, the library opened as the fourth location for institutional book holdings. In 1990, this building was named as the Lewis J. Ort Library to honor local business man and philanthropist. — Map (db m134529) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Lowndes Hall
Near East College Avenue east of Maple Street, on the right when traveling east.
In 1954 Lowndes Hall was completed. This building was named for two members of the Lowndes family - Lloyd, former governor of Maryland, and his son Taster, former President of the Maryland Board of Education. — Map (db m134530) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Martin’s Plantation
On National Highway (U.S. 40) at Maryland Route 36, on the right when traveling east on National Highway.
General Braddock's 2nd camp on the march to Fort Duquesne June 14th, 15th, 1755. The old Braddock Road passed to the southeast of the National Road from Clarysville to the "Shades of Death" near "Two Mile Run." The National Road was begun by the . . . — Map (db m440) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Nelson P. Guild Center
Near Center Street east of East College Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
The Nelson P. Guild Human Resources Center opened in 1986, incorporating several existing buildings: Alleghany Hall, the second Laboratory School, and Garrett Hall. The Center is named for Dr. Nelson P. Guild, sixth president of the University . . . — Map (db m134526) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — 11 — Old Main
On East College Avenue at Wood Street, on the right when traveling east on East College Avenue.
Frostburg State College was founded as a "Normal" school (two-year institution) by an act of the Maryland General Assembly in 1893. The cornerstone for Old Main, first building erected for the college, was laid in 1899. The school opened in 1902 and . . . — Map (db m134382) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Old Main
Near East College Avenue at Wood Street, on the right when traveling east.
Ground was broken for Old Main on June 27, 1899. It was completed in 1900. This building was originally known as the Normal School. The colloquial use of the phrase "Old Main" was confirmed with the building's dedication in 1957. — Map (db m134383) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Public Safety Building
On University Drive south of Planetarium Drive, on the right when traveling south.
In 1983, the Public Safety Building opened. This building was formerly the Lincoln School, a public school for African-American students. — Map (db m134385) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Pullen Hall
On Braddock Street (Maryland Route 736) west of Park Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Pullen Hall, opened in 1959, is named for Dr. Thomas G. Pullen, Jr., State Superintendent of Schools. The building originally served as the third location of the laboratory elementary school and now houses various student service departments. — Map (db m134388) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Simpson Hall
Near Environmental Drive north of Planetarium Drive, on the right when traveling north.
In 1957, I. Jewell Simpson Residence Hall for women was completed. This building was named for the State Supervisor of Elementary Schools who served as the Assistant State Superintendent of Schools for Elementary Instruction. — Map (db m134379) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Sowers Hall
Near Center Street south of Oak Street, on the left when traveling north.
In 1965, Lowell Martin Sowers, Sr., Residence Hall for men was completed. This building was named for the college science professor who taught from 1950 - 1961. — Map (db m134525) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad
Near Depot Street near New Hope Road.
The Railroad had reached Frostburg in 1852 and by 1863, the Cumberland and Pennsylvania (C&P) line ran from Cumberland through Mt. Savage to Frostburg and down George's Creek across the Potomac River to Piedmont, West Virginia. This connected the . . . — Map (db m96386) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The Naming of Frostburg
On Depot Street.
Contrary to popular belief that it was named for its frigid winter weather, Frostburg can trace its history back to 1800 when the community was known as Mt. Pleasant. By the time the National Road (authorized by Congress in 1806) opened through in . . . — Map (db m67475) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The National Road
Near Depot Street near New Hope Road.
A trolley car and horse and buggy descend the old National Road at Eckhart Hill, just east of Frostburg. In 1806 construction of the Cumberland (National) Road was authorized by Congress. Its purpose was to connect the populated east and "navigable . . . — Map (db m96383) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Westminster Hall
On Sandspring Drive west of University Drive, on the left when traveling west.
In 1972, Westminster Residence Hall was completed. The building was named by popular student vote. — Map (db m134533) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Keifers — Breaking Through a Mountain
Near Old Town Road (State Highway 51), on the right when traveling east.
The Paw Paw Tunnel stands as a monument to the ability and daring of 19th century canal builders. By building the mile-long cut through the mountain, including the 3,118-foot tunnel, the canal avoided six miles of river bends and steep, rocky . . . — Map (db m25098) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — “Spendelow Camp”Also Called “Camp at the Grove”
On Vocke Road (Maryland Route 53(658)) south of Exit 40 (Interstate 68).
General Braddock’s 1st camp on the march from Fort Cumberland to Fort Duquesne, June 11th to 13th, 1855. After building a road over Wills Mountain, Spendelow, an engineer, discovered a route by “The Narrows” and Braddock’s Run and a . . . — Map (db m2083) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — First Toll Gate House
On National Highway SW (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling west.
First toll gate house on the old National (Cumberland) Road. Erected about 1833 after this portion of the road was turned over to the State of Maryland by the United States government. There was one other toll gate in Maryland on this Road. — Map (db m442) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), La Vale — The La Vale Toll HouseThe Historic National Road - The Road That Built The Nation
Near National Highway SW (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling west.
Toll houses were built along the National Road as a result of a 25 year national debate as to whether or not the federal government should be responsible for funding road improvements. While there was agreement on the idea that those who used the . . . — Map (db m443) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Little Orleans — Town Hill OverlookThe Beauty Spot of Maryland
On National Pike (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling west.
The long, winding ascent of Town Hill reaches a height just beyond that of Sideling Hill, but was much more easily crossed. However, early automobiles were still no match for the steep grades and tight turns along this section of the National Road. . . . — Map (db m20986) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Baltimore Orioles (1920 - 1924)
On Main Street (Maryland Route 36) at Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
In the middle of the 1920 season, John "Jack" Dunn I signed Grove with the Baltimore Orioles of the International League, a minor league team. Grove led the league in strikeouts during his four seasons with the Orioles, and the team won the league . . . — Map (db m139849) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Coming Home to Lonaconing
On Main Street (Maryland Route 36) at Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
In 1929, Grove opened "Lefty's Place"—a duckpin and ten-pin bowling alley and pool hall located diagonally from Lefty Grove Memorial Park, on Union Street. He operated the establishment, with help during the baseball season, until 1961. . . . — Map (db m139842) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Daniel Cresap
On Recreation Area Road 0.6 miles south of Water Station Run Road, on the right when traveling south.
Daniel Cresap, pioneer settler, gave his name to Dan's Mountain and Dan's Rock. Born in 1728 near Havre de Grace, MD., son of Colonel Thomas Cresap. Fought in French and Indian War. By first wife, unknown, had one son; by second wife, Ruth . . . — Map (db m98538) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Dedicated to Mary E. Myers1914 - 2008
On East Main Street (Maryland Route 36) just north of Dutch Row, on the left when traveling north.
Mary led the effort in forming the Lonaconing Furnace Park Association for preserving the Lonaconing Iron Furnace, now a historic landmark, and in establishing the community park at this location. Revered and beloved as a public school teacher for . . . — Map (db m139086) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — First Successful Coke Fired Iron Furnace in AmericaFired May 9, 1839 - Closed 1856
On East Main Street (Maryland Route 36) at Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south on East Main Street.
Named to the National Register of Historic Places — June 19, 1973 Presented by the Preservation Society of Allegany County, Inc. May 1974 — Map (db m139084) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — George's Creek Coal and Iron Company (1837-1855)(Lonaconing Iron Furnace)
On East Main Street (Maryland Route 36) at Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south on East Main Street.
Midway between the towns of Frostburg and Westernport stands the Lonaconing Iron Furnace - a mute reminder of a once important industry in the George's Creek valley. The George's Creek Coal & Iron Company was founded in 1835. In 1836, an act of . . . — Map (db m139083) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — In Honor and Remembrance
On Main Street (Maryland Route 36) just south of Pershing Street, on the right when traveling south.
In Honor and Remembrance of the Heroes and Victims in the Fight Against Terrorism and to Celebrate the Enduring Spirit of All Americans — Map (db m139065) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Lonaconing Veterans Memorial
On East Main Street (Maryland Route 36) at Pershing Street, on the left when traveling north on East Main Street.
Sacred to the memory of the boys of our community who made the Supreme Sacrifice in World War II 1941 - 1945 Pvt. James G. Allan S.Sgt. Harry Atkinson T.Sgt. Porter Broadwater Pvt. Thomas D. Gallagher P.F.C. Alvin Neat . . . — Map (db m139067) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Lonaconing's Tumultuous Past
On West Main Street (Maryland Route 36) just south of Pershing Street, on the right when traveling south.
Founded in 1837 by the Georges Creek Coal and Iron Company, Lonaconing has endured its share of disasters. On September 7, 1881, a devastating fire wiped out the entire business district. Although the town rebuilt, the community suffered through at . . . — Map (db m139064) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Our HeroesThe Honored Dead of Lonaconing, Maryland — The World War, 1917 - 1918 —
On East Main Street (Maryland Route 36) just north of Pershing Street, on the left when traveling north.
In loving memory of those who heard the call and answered it. ★ ★ ★ Died over seas Brigadier General James F. McIndoe Capt. Gustave A. Schaidt Pvt. William S. Brown Killed in . . . — Map (db m139074) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Philadelphia Athletics (1925 - 1933)
On Main Street (Maryland Route 36) at Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
In 1925, following a stellar four-and-a-half-year stint in the minor leagues with the Baltimore Orioles, Grove began his major league career with Connie Mack's Philadelphia Athletics. Struggling with pitching control during his rookie year, Grove . . . — Map (db m139848) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Red Sox (1934 - 1941)
On Main Street (Route 36) at Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
At the end of the 1933 season, Grove signed with Tom Yawkey's Boston Red Sox, where he would spend the last eight years of his career. He won four more ERA titles with the Red Sox and became a member of major league baseball's elite 300-win club on . . . — Map (db m139846) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Robert Moses (Lefty) GroveBorn March 6, 1900 - Died May 22, 1975
On East Main Street (Maryland Route 36) at Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south on East Main Street.
A native of Lonaconing, Lefty Grove was one of baseball's all-time great pitchers. In 17 seasons (1925-1941) as a Major Leaguer, he won 300 games and lost 141 for a .680 percentage. Pitching for Philadelphia and Boston, he led the American . . . — Map (db m139077) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — The Early Years — Lonaconing, Maryland
On Main Street (Maryland Route 36) at Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Robert Moses "Lefty" Grove was born in the Charlestown section of Lonaconing, Md., on March 6, 1900, to John and Emma Catherine (Beeman) Grove. Raised in a coal mining community during times of desperate poverty, young Grove had to abandon his . . . — Map (db m139851) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Turnbull Mine Car
On East Main Street (Maryland Route 36) just south of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south.
Bill Turnbull was the original owner of the coal car. The car was removed from the Turnbull mine in 1985. Second owner of the car was Bob Phillips. The car was then used as a decorative yard item. In 1987 the car was moved to the . . . — Map (db m139087) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Vietnam Memorial
On East Main Street (Maryland Route 36) just north of Pershing Street, on the left when traveling north.
With pride, we honor all those who served and those who died during the war in Vietnam 1959 to 1975 — Map (db m139076) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Welcome to "Lefty" Grove Memorial Park
On Main Street (Maryland Route 36) at Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
This collaboration project, in memory of one of baseball's greatest pitchers, began in October 2014 with the formation of "The Lefty Grove Memorial Committee." A labor of hometown love, the park honors Robert Moses "Lefty" Grove — recognizing . . . — Map (db m139845) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Midland — In Memory Of
On Broadway Street just north of New Georges Creek Road Southwest (Maryland Route 36), on the right when traveling north.
In Memory of Those who died in the service of their country World War I James I. McKenzie John J. Seib World War II Joseph B. Allen James J. Blubaugh Charles J. Bullick Edward J. Bullick John F. Campbell . . . — Map (db m139852) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — In Honor of the Sons and Daughters of Mount Savage
On Mount Savage Road, on the right when traveling east.
Who served their country in the World War, this bridge was built, and in loving remembrance of J. Edward Carney • Walter H. Green • Lloyd H. Hartman • Joseph B. Hammers • Lawrence B. Miller • James Shaffer • H. Earl Snyder who made the supreme . . . — Map (db m67476) WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — Mount Savage Iron Works1839
On New School Road.
In 1844, the first iron rails made in the United States were produced on this spot by the Mount Savage Iron Works. Erected in 1839, the iron works contributed extensviely to the development of the Mount Savage Community. — Map (db m5846) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — On This Site in 1844
Near Mount Savage Road (Maryland Route 36) at New Row Road.
On this site in 1844 were rolled the first iron rails made in the United States. For this technological achievement, the Mount Savage Iron Works was awarded a silver medal by the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia This plaque was dedicated in . . . — Map (db m114318) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Mount Savage — The Castle
On Geary Lane north of Jealous Row, on the right when traveling north.
This property The Castle has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134390) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), North Branch — Pvt James D. Pollock
Near River Road SE 1.1 miles south of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Roadd SE, on the left when traveling west.
(front) Pvt James D Pollock Co F 7 Va Cav CSA Aug 27 1841 Jan 27 1916 This grave is designated and protected by the Cumberland Historic Cemetery Organization (rear) This crypt was installed by the . . . — Map (db m138460) HM WM
Maryland (Allegany County), North Branch — Sallie Pollock-Cook-High1847 - 1890
Near River Road SE 1.1 miles south of Pittsburgh Plate Glass Roadd SE, on the left when traveling west.
She was a spy for the Confederate army during the Civil War. On April 12, 1864 she was charged with violating the laws of war when letters addressed to Gen. Robert E. Lee and President Jefferson were found on this great Confederate sympathizer. She . . . — Map (db m138459) HM WM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Maryland’s Liberty Tree — Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park —
On Green Spring Road just north of C&O Canal Towpath, on the right when traveling south.
With roots planted deep in the soil providing stability and a crown overhead providing shelter and safety, it is easy to see how a tree could be a meaningful symbol for the Sons of Liberty in America's earliest days. Each of the original 13 colonies . . . — Map (db m99195) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Michael Cresap(1742–1775)
On Opessa Street at Green Spring Road, on the left when traveling east on Opessa Street.
He built his house, which can be seen nearby, about 1764. A trader, he cleared wilderness and fought Indians in “Cresap’s War” in Ohio, 1774. As a Captain he led riflemen, some painted Indian-style, to Boston at the start of the . . . — Map (db m448) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Oldtown — Old Town(King Opessa’s Town)
On Oldtown Road (Maryland Route 51) at Opessa Street, on the right when traveling east on Oldtown Road.
Fording place for “Great Warriors Path” from New York to the South. Thomas Cresap built stockade fort here in 1741 used as a refuge during French and Indian War after Braddock’s defeat. George Washington was here on his first . . . — Map (db m447) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Westernport — Veterans Memorial
On New Georges Creek Road Southwest (Route 36) just north of Creek Side Drive Southwest, on the left when traveling north.
A tribute to the men, women, and their families who endured for freedom. For God and Country In Honor Afghanistan and Iraqi Freedom Veterans American Legion Posts 13 & 41 WWII Veterans Honor . . . — Map (db m139063) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Westernport — Working Together for the CommunityWesternport Flood Mitigation, Restoration, and Park Development Project
On Main Street (Maryland Route 937) near Ross Street, on the right when traveling south.
Flooding. In 1996, two devastating floods caused catastrophic damage throughout a four county area of Western Maryland. The town of Westernport, located at the confluence of Georges Creek and the Potomac River, was one of the hardest hit by the . . . — Map (db m33699) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — "Preservation Was A Fight!"Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
On West Street (Maryland Route 450) east of Lafayette Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
"St. Clair Wright said many times that Historic Annapolis accomplished more in the eight years I was mayor than in any other period. That makes me feel awfully good." Roger "Pip" Moyer, 2002. Historic preservation in Annapolis . . . — Map (db m114540) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 14cm 3.5 inch Gun
On Maryland Avenue at Blake Road, on the right when traveling south on Maryland Avenue.
14cm 3.5 inch gun from Spanish armored cruiser Vizcaya Battle off Santiago Cuba July 3 1898 — Map (db m114850) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 159 Main Street
On Main Street east of Conduit Street, on the right when traveling east.
This commercial structure was one of several built between 1908-1913 after a fire destroyed the City Hotel. Merchant James F. Strange had the building constructed during his ownership. The building has remained in the Strange Family and in retail . . . — Map (db m114549) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 163 Main Street
On Main Street near Conduit Street, on the left when traveling north.
The property at 163 Main Street was originally part of a section of land confiscated from British Loyalists. The lot contained the City Hotel which was a well known hostelry. After a fire destroyed the City Hotel, the lot was subdivided and in 1903 . . . — Map (db m6311) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 167 Main Street at Conduit Street
On Conduit Street, on the right when traveling north.
This site owned by Amos Garrett was surveyed as Lot 46 on James Stoddert's 1718 plan of Annapolis. The Lloyd Dulany family lived here from 1761 until 1783. The group of buildings known successively as Mann's Tavern, City Tavern and the City Hotel . . . — Map (db m6194) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 41 Cornhill Street
On Cornhill Street, on the right when traveling south.
In 1771 when Annapolis merchant Charles Wallace laid out plot lines on Cornhill Street, former ship captain Beriah Maybury leased two plots and built this house which he opened as the King's Arms Tavern in 1773. In 1792 he renamed it the Sign of the . . . — Map (db m6450) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 64 Franklin StreetAnnapolis Emergency Hospital
On Franklin Street south of Cathedral Street, on the right when traveling north.
Annapolitans and county residents visited this site for medical care for nearly a century after the founding of the Annapolis Emergency Hospital in 1902. The hospital first purchased the home of former mayor Edwin Seidewitz, part of which probably . . . — Map (db m114790) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 75mm. Howitzer
Near Buchanan Road near Blake Road.
Captured with its gun crew 16th August 1944 by the 8th Naval Beach Battallion and the 540th Army Engineers at St. Raphael on the French Riveria. This howitzer, set in a strong casemated position at the left flank of one of the assault beaches, . . . — Map (db m29639) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A Community LegacyWest Street — The Banneker-Douglass Museum —
On West Street (Maryland Route 450) west of Church Circle, on the right when traveling west.
1984 Banneker-Douglass Museum As the official museum of African-American history and culture for the State of Maryland, the Banneker-Douglass Museum is dedicated to discovering documenting, preserving and promoting . . . — Map (db m114557) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A National Cemetery System
Near West Street (Maryland Route 450) west of Taylor Avenue (Maryland Route 435), on the right when traveling west.
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union . . . — Map (db m114568) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A Story of PreservationMarket House — Annapolis Historic District —
On Market Space at Main Street on Market Space.
1952 Historic Annapolis Founded The story of historic preservation in Annapolis is one of community involvement. Efforts to protect the historic element of Annapolis extend back to the nineteenth century. In the 1950s and 1960s, . . . — Map (db m114793) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863 —
Near West Street (Maryland Route 450) west of Taylor Avenue (Maryland Route 435), on the right when traveling west.
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m114674) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Admiral Ben MoreellFather of the Seabees
On Brownside Road.
[First Panel]:] About the Seabees Born in the early days of World War II when the nation was in dire peril, their mission was to build bases for the combat forces, to defend those bases, and to provide other support of whatever . . . — Map (db m9620) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Albert Cabell Ritchie
Near Ritchie Highway (Maryland Route 450) 0.3 miles from Waveland Farms Road, in the median.
Albert Cabell Ritchie. 1876 – 1936. Four times Governor of Maryland. He who is worthy of honor does not die. — Map (db m2900) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Alexander Magruder
Near College Avenue (Maryland Route 450) at Prince George Street, on the left when traveling east.
To honor the three hundredth anniversary of the coming to Maryland circa 1652 of Alexander Magruder, founder and progenitor of the Magruder family in America, and to the men of his blood who have been students at St. John's College. — Map (db m5417) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Alfred A. Hopkins Plaza
On Market Space at Main Street, on the left when traveling west on Market Space.
Honoring Alfred A. Hopkins Mayor, 1989 - 1997 — Map (db m6384) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Alumni Arch
Near Taylor Avenue (Maryland Route 435) north of Melrose Street, on the right when traveling south.
Alumni Arch in honor of Captain William S. Busik and all Naval Academy Alumni, Past, Present, and Future. "Barnacle Bill" was an All-American standout on the Navy Football team until his accelerated graduation . . . — Map (db m127946) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — An Environmental PerspectiveAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
On West Street (Maryland Route 450) east of Park Place, on the right when traveling west.
"Annapolis is an almost perfect example of town/village GOLD Bay Partner." Comment from the presentation to Annapolis as a Gold Medal Community Partner. Environmental Protection Agency, 2007 As a model for . . . — Map (db m114559) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis & The Maryland SignersAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
On West Street (Route 450) near Munroe Court, on the right when traveling west.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." With these ringing words of resolve, the signers of . . . — Map (db m114543) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis DepictedCity Dock — Public Art In Annapolis —
On Dock Street east of Craig Street.
2005 Wings and Sails Annapolis has a stunning array of outdoor sculpture, paintings, murals, and other public artwork. Each of these paintings was commissioned by the Art in Public Places Commission. "Wings and Sails" is . . . — Map (db m114800) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis During The Civil WarAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis —
On Taylor Avenue (Maryland Route 435) at Westgate Circle, on the right when traveling north on Taylor Avenue.
General Butler to Governor Hicks Off Annapolis, April 22, 1861 "Have I your excellency's permission...to land my men, to supply their wants, and to relieve them from the extreme and unhealthy confinement of a transport vessel not fit to . . . — Map (db m114563) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis Laboratory1903 - 1999
On Kincaid Road at Bennion and Church Roads, on the right when traveling north on Kincaid Road.
In this year, 1999, a 96-year tradition of technical excellence, personal achievement , and dedication to our Navy comes to a close. The legacy of this Laboratory will live on well into the next millennium. It is embodied in the people who worked . . . — Map (db m65867) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis National Cemetery
Near West Street (Maryland Route 450) west of Taylor Avenue (Maryland Route 435), on the right when traveling west.
Civil War Annapolis In April 1861, Gen. Benjamin Butler and his Massachusetts troops entered the Maryland capital to ensure the state remained in the Union. The U.S. Army then reformed the Department of Annapolis, headed by Butler, to . . . — Map (db m114566) HM

5313 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 5113
Paid Advertisement