Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Maryland

5338 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 401 through 601 are listed. Previous 200 Next 4738
 
The building in question image, Touch for more information
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 13, 2008
The building in question
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — This tablet
Erected by the Peggy Stewart Tea Part Chapter, D.A.R., Marks the building in which Gen. Washington was entertained at dinner by the Congress of the United States on the 20th of December, 1783, when he came to Annapolis to resign his commission as . . . — Map (db m6198) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — This thirty-two pounder iron cannon barrel
This thirty-two pounder iron cannon barrel is a cast reproduction, circa 1905, for the USS Constitution. The Naval Historical Center, Detachment Boston, in conjunction with the National Park Service has made this cannon available to the . . . — Map (db m127930) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Thomas PointPart Of The Bay Heritage
(Left side of the marker) Much of the early history of Thomas Point still lies buried under sand and water at its ever-eroding shoreline. Evidence does exist, however, that Native Americans enjoyed the bounty of the Bay’s seafood sometime between . . . — Map (db m94344) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Thurgood Marshall1908-1993 — Equal Justice Under Law —
[Inscription in dark circle on plaza deck.] Thurgood Marshall's first major victory in his life-long struggle for equality under the law for all Americans took place in the Maryland Court of Appeals which then stood near this memorial. In . . . — Map (db m7706) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Transportation on the Chesapeake Highway
"...two Ferry boats were procured...we made the mouth of the Severn River but the ignorance of the People on board, with respect to the navigation of it run us aground first on Greenbury Point from whence with much exertion and difficulty we got . . . — Map (db m19289) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Triton Light
(Upper Marker): The globe within this monument contains water collected by the U.S.S. Triton (SSRN-586), from the twenty-two seas transited during the first submerged circumnavigation of the world in 1960. (Lower Marker): . . . — Map (db m7475) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Trunk of the Three Mile Oak
Upper Plaque: This oak tree planted in 1967 perpetuates the memory of the original Three Mile Oak which stood nearby as explained in the marker below. Lower Plaque: Trunk of the Three Mile Oak Under this tree passed General George . . . — Map (db m2877) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Twin OaksFrederick Douglass Summer Home
Designed by Frederick Douglass so that "As a free man I could look back across the bay to the land where I was born a slave". Built by Charles Remond Douglass. 1895 — Map (db m6173) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 3 — U.S. Naval Academy MuseumThe Naval War of 1812 — Don't Give Up The Ship —
Founded as the Naval School Lyceum in 1845, this is among the nation's oldest museums. It contains two full floors of exhibitions. There is extensive coverage on the War of 1812 on the first floor to the left. Inside, too, is the original signal . . . — Map (db m63851) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — United States Naval Academy
Presented to the United States Naval Academy by the Members of the Class of 1950 Initially on the occasion of their 30th Anniversary - April 1980 Updated yard/campus changes at their 50th Anniversary - April 2000 . . . — Map (db m114813) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — USS Maryland1921 - 1946
Pearl Harbor · Tarawa · Roi-Namur · Palau · Leyte · Surigao Straits · Okinawa — Map (db m6803) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale1923 - 2005
[Panel 1:] [Rendering of the Medal of Honor (U.S. Navy/Marine Corps)] "Never give in; never give in; never, never, never--in nothing great or small, large or petty--never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. . . . — Map (db m12972) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Vice Admiral William Porter Lawrence, USN
[Panel 1:] "Be first a person of honor." Test Pilot - First to fly Mach II in Naval Aircraft Korea, F2H Banshee Vietnam, F-4 Phantom Prisoner of War, Vietnam 1967-1973 Superintendent, United States Naval Academy . . . — Map (db m12997) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Watermen and Working Harbor
More than a dozen oyster houses ringed the waterfront by the 1870s, some built out into the harbor on pilings. Throughout the winter, local watermen harvested shellfish from the Bay and sold their catch to the packing houses. Shuckers, many of whom . . . — Map (db m19291) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — White Oak
Maryland's State Tree Offspring of the Wye Oak Planted 1987 — Map (db m5426) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Who was Henry Davis?Maryland Lynchings
The record of lynchings in Maryland from 1891-1906 May 13, 1891 - Asbury Green, Centerville May 17, 1892 - James Taylor, Chestertown June 8, 1893 - Isaac Kemp, Princess Anne October 20, 1894 - Stephen Williams, Prince George's County . . . — Map (db m53171) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Zimmerman Bandstand
Charles A. Zimmerman USNA Band Master 1887 - 1916 Composer of "Anchors Aweigh"Map (db m7412) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapols — Deadrise Defined
Little HES is a classic example of a Chesapeake Bay "deadrise", built for fishing and crabbing in the summer and oystering in the winter. The term "deadrise" refers to the underwater shape of a hull. Little HES has a sharp vee-entry at . . . — Map (db m114886) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Arnold — Historic Annapolis
Historic Annapolis 5 miles United States Naval Academy — Map (db m2908) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Brooklyn Park — Formerly Brooklyn Park High School
Brooklyn Park High School opened its doors in September 1954, with Slater W. Bryant, Jr. as its first principal. Sounds of construction echoed down hallways, as workers hurried to finish the new building. Before closing in 1990, the school had . . . — Map (db m114459) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Churchton — Site of First Quaker Regional Gathering
Site of First Quaker Regional Gathering In Maryland By George Fox in 1672 Ann of Arundell Chapter, MD. National Society of Colonial Dames XVII Century 1999 — Map (db m65888) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crofton — Birthplace of Johns Hopkins
Founder of the Johns Hopkins University and the Johns Hopkins Hospital Born May 19, 1795. Died December 24, 1873. — Map (db m2927) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Belvoir(Scott’s Plantation)
French troops under Count de Rochambeau made their 36th camp here September 16-17, 1781, enroute to Yorktown, Virginia. Most of the troops embarked from Annapolis, but the artillary marched to Georgetown to cross the Potomac River. — Map (db m2928) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Chapel of Ease
Upon this spot stood the "Chapel of Ease," erected in 1730 for the ease and convenience of families living in distant parts of St. Anne's Parish. Permission to build this church was granted to a party of churchmen by Charles Lord Baltimore upon the . . . — Map (db m131386) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Count de Rochambeau’s
Count de Rochambeau’s troops marched over this road from Spurrier’s Tavern to “Scott’s Plantation” (Belvoir) on Sept. 16, 1781 on the way to Yorktown. Washington and Rochambeau had gone ahead Sept. 10–11 on the way to Mt. Vernon. — Map (db m2890) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Henry Baldwin
Near this spot lies buried Henry Baldwin officer and engineer in the Revolutionary War 1777–1783. Charter member of the Society of the Cincinnati. Born Dec. 23, 1753 – Died Oct 15, 1793, at Rising Sun, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland. — Map (db m2879) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church
A rural suburban congregation linking our past and future. Established 1858 as Mt. Tabor Methodist Episcopal Church. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m3412) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Davidsonville — Middle Plantation
600 acres patented in 1664 to Mareen Duval, Esq., great Hugenot and native of France. Appointed Commissioner for Advancement of Trade 1683, he died here 1694. The plantation remained the ancestral seat of a junior branch of the Duvall family for . . . — Map (db m43527) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Davidsonville — Watkins Slave Cemetery
At this site, anonymously buried slaves were found during road construction in 1960. These unclaimed individuals were associated with the Locust Grove plantation founded by 1848. The remains were reburied at Mt. Tabor Church in nearby Chesterfield. . . . — Map (db m114877) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — A Tale of Three Bridges
The bridge to Annapolis has always been a key part of Eastport life. The first wooden bridge, built in 1868, connected here at the end of Fourth Street. It served pedestrians and horse-drawn wagons. Forty years later, a larger steel bridge was . . . — Map (db m114875) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Arnold C. GayVisionaries of the 1960s — February 14, 1919-January 26, 1994 —
A New England native, sailor Arnie Gay steered into the Annapolis harbor on the wooden schooner Delilah in the late 1940s with $7.00 in his pocket and an enthusiasm to bring a sailing empire to the City’s neglected and abandoned waterfront. He . . . — Map (db m114878) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Eastport's Old "Main Street"
The historic buildings you can see from here date back to before 1900, when the first bridge to Annapolis connected to the end of this street. In those days, Fourth Street was the bustling commercial heart of Eastport. Anything you wanted from . . . — Map (db m114860) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Eastport's Soul
Many African-American families settled here more than a century ago. these families, who have lived here for four generations, are the heart and soul of this neighborhood. Their religious, educational and cultural institutions are pillars of . . . — Map (db m5653) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Murphy's Row
You are standing at the corner of "Murphy's Row." These ten row houses were built in 1888 by Charles James Murphy for laborers employed at his company, the Annapolis Glass Works. The houses bear witness to Eastport's early years. The seventh . . . — Map (db m5729) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Fort at Horn Point
Near here, at the end of Eastern Avenue, is the site of one of three forts built to defend Annapolis Harbor from British raids during the Revolutionary War. Built in 1776, the fort had major defenses of trenches, earthen ramparts and fifteen . . . — Map (db m5724) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Glass Works
The private home at the corner of Severn Avenue and Second Street was once the head office for one of Eastport's largest businesses. The Annapolis Glass Works - later the Severn Glass Company - produced china, glass and pottery from 1885 to 1902. . . . — Map (db m5887) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Maritime Tradition Lives On
Prestigious sailboat racing events have made Annapolis famous. But the real reason for Annapolis' reputation as "America's Sailing Capital" is the community of Eastport. There are more marine-related businesses here than anywhere on the East Coast . . . — Map (db m5727) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Old Farmhouse
This century-old farmhouse is one of the only reminders of the agrarian past of Eastport. Yet, in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, horse racing and farming were the economic mainstays. As late as 1798, there were only two buildings on . . . — Map (db m5731) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Start of Something Big
This is where Eastport's famed boat building industry began. On this site in 1868, a German immigrant named Wilhelm Heller began crafting fine wooden boats. His reputation spread and business flourished. Heller's became the largest boatyard on Spa . . . — Map (db m5734) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — The Watermen of Back Creek
During the 1920s, the houses on this street belonged to African-American families. Most of the men living here worked on the water, launching often home-built boats from their back yards. They harvested oysters from September to April, and crabs in . . . — Map (db m5650) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Three Great Boat Yards, One Location
As you walk among these buildings, imagine wooden boats taking form. Picture men sweating in the hot sun as they plank a hull, caulk a seam or varnish a rail. Envision Navy officers in khaki uniforms boarding vessels for sea trials. From 1913 to . . . — Map (db m5888) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Welcome to Eastport
Eastport's distinctive history, character and identity grew from maritime roots. The marinas that now serve pleasure boaters were once filled with wooden workboats. So crowded was the shoreline, it was said that an enterprising cat could flit from . . . — Map (db m5890) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Welcome to Eastport
Eastport's distinctive history, character and identity grew from maritime roots. The marinas that now serve pleasure boaters were once filled with wooden workboats. So crowded was the shoreline, it was said that an enterprising cat could flit from . . . — Map (db m5891) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Archaeology at London Town
[photo of archaeological dig] Archaeological Dig: excavation of Rumney's Tavern. Finding the Lost Town of London
Map (db m22107) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Dr. Hill's Medicinal Plants
[photo of plants and tools] Early medicinal plants and tools Colonial Medicine Chest Where did the colonial doctor or housewife turn when they needed to treat the sick? The plants of the field, hedgerow and marsh were their pharmacy. . . . — Map (db m22138) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Establishing a Colonial Town
Scattered Settlements Early Chesapeake Bay colonists did not settle in the concentrated villages typical of their home in England. Instead, they lived on large plots of waterfront land that isolated them from their neighbors. Cheap and . . . — Map (db m22112) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Historic London Town and Gardens
[map of colonial Maryland] Detail from The State of Maryland, Samuel Lewis, 1795. Showing London Town, Annapolis and Baltimore. Welcome Historic London Town and Gardens is a 23-acre park where discover and learning are daily . . . — Map (db m22140) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Indians of the ChesapeakeLayer of Time
Have you wondered how we know so much about past cultures? Have you ever thought about future generation studying the present? What would they find?

Since no books or photographs were left behind by earlier civilizations to tell us how they . . . — Map (db m80878) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Java History Trail
Native American Exhibit 250 yards, a 5 minute walk Java Plantation Exhibit .5 mile, a 25 minute walk Java Dairy Exhibits .75 mile, a 55 minute walk Java’ Return to Nature Exhibits 1 mile, a 70 minute walk

Indians of the Chesapeake . . . — Map (db m80874) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Java Plantation LifeContee's Wharf: A Vital Link
Since the 1700s there has been a road leading to Contee's Wharf. Deep water and the protection provided by Big Island made it a natural port. The river has served as a vital link between area residents and the outside world.

The wharf was the . . . — Map (db m80858) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Java Plantation LifeHoe to Plow
The increase in tobacco production was closely linked with the economic growth of America. Tobacco was so popular that it was used as money. Maryland had a suitable climate for its production, so the area thrived. The Java Plantation, like other . . . — Map (db m80859) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Java Plantation LifeLife on the Quarter
While the plantation owner’s house was situated on a hill, African American slaves had to live in less desirable surroundings. Slave quarters were built in low, marshy area near the water. Mosquitoes and damp living conditions were a constant . . . — Map (db m80868) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Java Plantation LifeThe Songs of Sorrow
By 1840 there were 84 African American slaves on the Java Plantation, a large number for the area. Almost half were children. On a typical day the slaves would rise before dawn, prepare and eat breakfast, feed the livestock, and be in the fields by . . . — Map (db m80870) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Java Plantation LifeOld Fields to New Plantations
The needs of the English settlers were similar to those of the Piscataways. As farmers they wanted good soil, so they often settled near “old fields,” areas once used by Native Americans. Look across the field to the ruins of the Java . . . — Map (db m80873) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — London Town Ferry
From London Town, and original port of entry, a ferry crossed South River. It linked a north-south system of roads from about 1695 until the 19th century. — Map (db m3419) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — London Town Publik House
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States. — Map (db m3420) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Prized PropertyStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
A victory off the coast of Brazil inspired John Contee to name this property “Java’s Farm.” Contee was a lieutenant on the USS Constitution when it captured and burned the British frigate HMS Java, December 29, 1812.

Contee . . . — Map (db m80857) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Scott Street
The ravine in front of you was once Scott Street. Rumney's Tavern, the Brown Carpenter Shop and the Brown House are on this side of the street. On the other side were a number of structures, some of which were commercial enterprises such as . . . — Map (db m22141) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — The Ferry at London Town
A Transportation Network Ferries were a critical link in the colonial road system. The ferry crossing at London Town was part of a larger transportation network that extended from Virginia to New York, moving people and goods to market along . . . — Map (db m22143) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — The Lord Mayor's Tenement
[drawing of tenement house] Lord Mayor's Tenement: An architectural drawing by Willie Graham, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Discovering the Lord Mayor's Tenement This building has been reconstructed on the footprint of the . . . — Map (db m22145) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Tobacco Barn
Tobacco barn built c.1720 at Hockley-in-the-Hole Plantation. — Map (db m3421) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — William Brown House
Location, Location, Location One of the mysteries that still surrounds the lost town of London is the William Brown House. Built between 1758 and 1764 overlooking the South River, William Brown intended it to serve as his dwelling and an . . . — Map (db m22137) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — "Cav. Area"
This Cav. area was the home of several U.S. Calvary Regiments. — Map (db m19633) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — 18th Century French Mortar
Cast in France of high bronze alloy, circa 1725, the sunburst design was the official crest of Louis XV. This 10 inch mortar was sent to America as part of the French support of the American Revolution. It saw service at the Siege of Yorktown, . . . — Map (db m19628) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — 29th Infantry Division, United States ArmyWorld War II
[Front:] [Insignia and motto of the 29th ID]: "29 Let's Go!" Mobilized at Fort George G. Meade, February 1941; comprised of Army National Guard units from Maryland, Virginia, District of Columbia, and Pennsylvania. Trained vigorously . . . — Map (db m17112) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — 85th Medical Battalion Avenue
Soldiers of the 85th Med Bn are recognized for their dedication and service while at Fort Meade. The Battalion's campaigns include Rhineland and Central Europe during WWII and Southwest Asia in 1991. In September 1992, the Battalion was transferred . . . — Map (db m19630) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Cavalry AreaFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
As the Cold War intensified in the late 1940s, security of the nation's Capital became a major concern of Defense Department planners. To protect the Capital, a ring of conventional and nuclear weapons was established around Washington, D.C. As part . . . — Map (db m19643) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Chapultepec Avenue
Named in honor of the officers and men of the Third Cavalry who captured the Castle of Chapultepec, Mexico, 1847 "Brave Rifles - Veterans" - Winfield Scott, General, U.S. Army Placed here by the officers and men of the Third Armored . . . — Map (db m19646) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Dedicated to all American Ex-Prisoners of War
We exist to help those who cannot help themselves — Map (db m36951) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Division HillFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
When German troops attacked Poland on September 1, 1939, all hope of peace in Europe vanished. This crisis caused the United States to accelerate its preparations for possible war. By late 1940 an Emergency Construction Program was underway at . . . — Map (db m19638) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — E. Russell Allen1905-1941
Project Engineer for Cantonment 1940-1941. In commemoration of his unfaltering loyalty & inspiring leadership. — Map (db m19700) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — EA-3B Skywarrior... to the memory of all the U.S. Naval aircrews that gave their lives ...
[Panel 1:] The EA-3B Skywarrior was in service for more than three decades in the U.S. Navy’s secret reconnaissance war against the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact. Conceived at the dawn of th Cold War as an aircraft carrier-based nuclear . . . — Map (db m17025) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Eisenhower's QuartersFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
With the signing of the armistice ending World War I, the overseas orders of Dwight David Eisenhower were canceled. Instead, he was transferred from Command of Camp Colt, the Army's Tank Training Center in Gettysburg, PA, to Camp Meade, Maryland. . . . — Map (db m19655) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Hodges HallFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
In 1934, Hodges Hall was built as the post headquarters. From its position on the south end of the post parade ground, it offered an impressive view of events. The design of the building mirrors the central block of Doughoregan Manor, the home of . . . — Map (db m19686) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Maj. Gen. Ralph H. Van Deman
In honored memory of Maj. Gen. Ralph H. Van Deman, father of modern U.S. Military Intelligence. Born September 3, 1865. Died January 22, 1952. On the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Corps of Intelligence Police - the U.S. Army's . . . — Map (db m19695) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Major General George G. MeadeFort George G. Meade - United States Army
George Gordon Meade was born on December 31, 1815, during his parents’ temporary residence in Cadiz, Spain. After arriving in the United States, he attended boarding schools in Philadelphia and Baltimore. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy, . . . — Map (db m17010) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — National Vigilance Park
On September 2, 1958 Soviet MIG Fighters shot down United States Air Force C-130 #60528 over Armenia. This memorial is dedicated in memory of the seventeen airmen who perished that day, and their Armed Forces compatriots who were killed, . . . — Map (db m2923) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Patton's HeadquartersFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
In 1917, Captain George S. Patton, Jr., sailed to France to join the staff of General John J. Pershing. In November of that year he was detailed to the Tank Corps and attended the course at the French Tank School. Patton participated in the . . . — Map (db m19697) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Post HospitalFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
When Camp Meade was established in 1917, a detachment of the Medical Department of the Army was one of the first organizations to report for duty. The original hospital occupied a large group of frame buildings in the northwest area of the camp . . . — Map (db m19698) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — School for Bakers and CooksFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
In compliance with instructions contained in a letter from Adjutant General of the Army, dated March 17, 1924, a School for Bakers and Cooks was established at Camp Meade in April of that year. Throughout its existence at the post, the school's . . . — Map (db m19702) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — The Battle of the Bulge
December 16, 1944 - January 25, 1945 Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge, Ardennes Dedicated to the Gallant and Victorious Men and Women of the United States Army who participated in The Battle of the Bulge This enormous and . . . — Map (db m19631) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — The Franklin CantonmentFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
In the summer of 1918 the Franklin Cantonment, a Signal Corps Camp of Instruction, opened within 1 mile of the original Camp Meade. This 400-acre camp housed 11,000 men and women (19 battalions) in 599 structures. The Franklin Cantonment had its own . . . — Map (db m19656) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — The Tank School and Tank CorpsFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
When Great Britain introduced tank warfare to the battlefields of World War I, the face of battle changed forever. By providing support to infantry attacks, the usefulness of tanks was proven. For this reason, on January 26, 1918, Brigadier General . . . — Map (db m19703) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — Tipton Army AirfieldFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
Named for Marylander Colonel William D. Tipton, Tipton Army Airfield was constructed in 1960 to replace a smaller airstrip operating since 1938 near the present Post Exchange and Commissary complex. COL Tipton served in both World Wars. During . . . — Map (db m19704) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — U.S.S. Liberty
In memory of the men who gave their lives on June 8, 1967 in support of our freedom and happiness while serving aboard the U.S.S. Liberty (AGTR-5). LCDR P.M Armstrong, USN LT J.C. Pierce, USN LT S.S. Toth, USN CTC M.D. Smith, USN CTC . . . — Map (db m19705) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — White Oak(Quercus Alba)
Dedicated September 14, 1986 to commemorate the Becentennial of the Annapolis Convention, September 11-14, 1786. Delaware, New York, Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania Commission on the Bicentennial of the Constitution of the United . . . — Map (db m19629) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — World War I Cantonment AreaFort George G. Meade - United States Army
[Top of marker includes a logo with image of U.S. M1917/Renault FT17 light tank] When the original Camp Meade cantonment area was built in 1917, it covered what are now the Fort Meade Golf Courses. Construction began on July 2, 1917, at . . . — Map (db m17009) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Friendship — Holly Hill
Surveyed, 1663, as Holland’s Hills for Francis Holland; bought 1665, by Richard Harrison, Quaker planter and shipowner, who owned about 6,000 acres. The house, built in three stages between 1665 and 1733 by Richard Harrison and his son Samuel, is . . . — Map (db m2938) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Carrie Weedon House
Imagine life in the Carrie Weedon house in 1901. Kerosene lamps provided light for reading, sewing, or playing the piano. Water came from an outdoor hand pump. A privy, a small barn, and a shed were located out back. Food was grown in the garden or . . . — Map (db m6200) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Galesville Armed Forces Memorial
Dedicated to those men and women in Galesville who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States during war or peace. They gave so we can freely say, "...one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." In . . . — Map (db m130031) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Native Plants
Native plants are essential to the health of our waterways. They thrive in local soils and need minimal fertilizer or pesticides, so fewer nutrients and chemicals reach our waters. They also help to reduce soil run-off and provide food and nesting . . . — Map (db m6204) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Overlooking West RiverCedar Park, Tulip Hill
Cedar Park Patented to Richard Ewen in 1666 as “Ewen upon Ewenton.” Brick house built c.1697 by Richard Galloway II around earlier frame structure possibly dating back to 1656. Known as “West River Farm” in 18th Century. . . . — Map (db m65889) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Steamboat Landing
One hundred years ago, Steamboat Landing was the hub of the community. The vessels that docked there linked Galesville to the world. Immigrants and vacationers arrived, while farm produce and seafood were shipped out to Baltimore and other ports. . . . — Map (db m6203) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Valuable Wetlands
The wetlands here are man-made. In 1926, three gasoline storage tanks were built here on concrete slabs. In the 1940s, a brick wall was added which trapped water inside, creating the wetlands. Seasonal in nature, the wetlands here are only wet after . . . — Map (db m6205) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Welcome to Galesville
The members of the Galesville Heritage Society invite you to explore their historic village. First settled in 1654 on the banks of West River, Galesville and its history are fundamentally linked to the Chesapeake Bay. Native Americans, English . . . — Map (db m6201) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — Where Land Meets Water
Since Colonial times, the Galesville peninsula has been defined by the West River and the Chesapeake Bay. But 18,000 years ago, these waters did not exist! The Susquehanna River once flowed east of here. As glaciers melted, the sea level rose, . . . — Map (db m6202) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Galesville — 8 — Women of Hartge Yacht Yard (1934-2006)Hartge Nautical Museum Walking Tour of the Yard
Alice Wayson Hartge was the wife of Cap'n Oscar and the mother of eleven. When Oscar took over the boat yard in 1934, she became the bookkeeper, time keeper, and bill payer. Having the only phone in the area, any calls required her to blow a . . . — Map (db m130030) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Gambrills — Linthicum WalksGambrills, MD.
Part of 1672 Land Grant to Evan Davis. House begun c.1780 by Thomas Linthicum Enlarged c.1840. — Map (db m137925) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Curtis Creek Furnace
The Curtis Creek Furnace, located on the south side of Furnace Creek, one-half mile east of Ritchie Highway, was established in 1759 and with a foundry built in 1829, continued to turn out high grade charcoal pig iron until abandoned in 1851. — Map (db m2867) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Defending the Chesapeake BayStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Curtis Creek Iron Furnace (also calle Aetna or Etna Furnace), established c. 1759, stood on the south side of Furnace Branch Creek in Glen Burnie, where Rte. 10 now crosses. The location ensured access to local iron ore deposits, wood from . . . — Map (db m98379) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Ferndale, Maryland
Named in 1921, formerly Wellham. Railroads have long been part of Ferndale’s history. The WB&A Railroad steamed through the neighborhood from 1888 to 1950, carrying as many as 1,750,000 passengers a year. With the historic spike pulling ceremony on . . . — Map (db m3235) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Harundale MallOpened: October 1, 1958
This site was originally settled in 1649 and was known as the Westminster parish. About 1780 it was the property of Francis Cromwell, a cousin of the monarch of England. It was obtained by the Curtis Creek Mining Co. in 1850 from the estate of John . . . — Map (db m14158) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Marley Chapel
Erected, 1731, near this site, Marley Chapel served as a chapel of ease for the northern parish area of St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church. After its abandonment bricks from the chapel were used in constructing St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, Glen . . . — Map (db m2868) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Marley Church CemeteryMethodist Protestant
Marley Methodist Protestant Church Cemetery Marley Church was built in 1873. Relocated in 1945 as the Solley Methodist Church. — Map (db m131863) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Marley Neck School
This historic school is a significant example of a Rosenwald School design and represents a landmark era in black education in the period before federal support of local education. The school was built in 1927 with funds raised by the local . . . — Map (db m9035) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Recreation Acres
This area of 4.97 acres was purchased on August 1, 1961 by the Glen Burnie Recreation Association Inc. through the foresight and effort of the member of this organization, and the cooperation and support of many people, it is dedicated forever to . . . — Map (db m9820) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Sgt. Ronald M. RandazzoDesert Storm
So we do not forget to honor Sgt. Ronald M. Randazzo and the men and women of Desert Storm 1991. Give not one inch of our most sacred land to the enemies of freedom, but give all of lifes precious blood if need be to preserve it. - . . . — Map (db m8802) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — St. Alban's Episcopal Church
Built 1904. Originally Glenburnie Chapel, 1891. — Map (db m9823) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — To All Who Served
To all who served our nation in the name of freedom. Dedicated by American Leagion Post 40, Glen Burnie, MD, Memorial Day - 1991. — Map (db m9818) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — World War 1917
This monument and fountain erected by Glen Burnie Post No. 40, Inc., The American Legion, in memory of our departed comrades, World War 1917. — Map (db m3890) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — World War II
Dedicated to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice and in honor of those who served in the Armed Forces of our country in World War II. — Map (db m3889) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Hanover — Stoney Run Train StationHistoric — Dedication —
This 19th century ticket booth, formerly known to local residents as "The Stoney Run Train Station," has been restored, preserved and re-dedicated by the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) as a pedestrian gateway to the BWI Rail . . . — Map (db m68389) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Hanover — Wesley Grove United Methodist Church
Consecrated Sunday, November 4, 1951, by the joint congregations of Friendship and Ridge Methodist Churches. Timber Ridge and Friendship Methodist Churches Timber Ridge Church was built c.1840 two miles to the east. It . . . — Map (db m3036) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harmans — Harmans
An African American community and church were established nearby in the mid 19th century. In 1918 the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham, a mutual aid society, purchased and donated land on this site for a two-room school which was built . . . — Map (db m49729) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harwood — “Larkins Hills”Patented 1663
Charles Lord Baltimore and his council attended the meeting of the Assembly here Oct. 2 – Nov. 6, 1663. 31 towns and ports of entry were established at this session in the several counties along the bay. Practically none of these towns exist . . . — Map (db m2945) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harwood — Rawlings’ Tavern
Jonathan Rawlings given a license to keep an “ordinary” (tavern) in 1771. George Washington dined here September 26, 1773, on his way to the Annapolis races. — Map (db m3141) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harwood — William Penn
Came here to the home of Col. Thomas Tailler on “the ridge” December 13, 1682 for his first conference with Charles Lord Baltimore as to the location of the boundary line between Maryland and Pennsylvania. — Map (db m3042) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum — Benson-Hammond House
Built circa 1820, the Benson-Hammond House is the headquarters of the Ann Arundell County Historical Society and is open to the public. Annapolis and Baltimore Short Line Organized in 1880, the Annapolis and Baltimore Short Line ran its . . . — Map (db m3161) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum — Linthicum Heights
Growth of railways advanced the development of suberban communities in the early 20th century. Linthicum Heights was platted in 1908 along two interurban railroads by the Linthicum family to take advantage of direct transportation to Washington, . . . — Map (db m8142) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — AN/SPG-55B Radar
The US Navy's AN/SPG-55 is a tracking/illumination radar for the beam riding Terrier and semi-active homing RIM-67 Standard missiles. It was a major component of the MK76 Fire Control System used in fleet and area protection. . . . — Map (db m131629) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — Donald Emerson Shay, Jr.
. . . — Map (db m131636) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — FuG 65 Wurzburg Riese (Giant) Radar Antenna
Developed in War In 1939, Telefunken introduced an air defense radar called the Wurzburg A. Operating at 560 MHz, with a 3 meter (9.8 ft) parabolic antenna, this radar had a range of 28 miles and enabled the tracking of aircraft . . . — Map (db m131631) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — Holly Run Church
The first church erected by the Methodist Protestant denomination. Built in 1828. Relocated and restored 1966. — Map (db m68390) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — In Honor of Those Who Served
In honor of those who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. [text on back of memorial] In grateful recognition of the contributions made to this project by the District 32 delegation - Senator James Ed Degrange, Sr., . . . — Map (db m68391) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — Nike AjaxAnti-Aircraft Missile Radar
In the 1950's there were seven batteries of Nike Ajax anti-aircraft missiles located around Baltimore to protect the city, Friendship Airport, and various industrial sites, as well as the Aberdeen ordnance and Edgewood chemical facilities from . . . — Map (db m131626) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — SCR-270 Radar Antenna
The SCR-270 radar antenna was part of a mobile radar system, operating at 104MHz, that could detect and track aircraft at 125 miles. This antenna is a 1943 production version of the radar that tracked the incoming Japanese raid on Oahu, Hawaii on 7 . . . — Map (db m131630) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — The Freedom Tree
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind this tree is dedicated to Capt. Donald Shay, Jr. and all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action — Map (db m131635) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — The Heart SpokeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Twin Oaks - the name evokes a rural character long since lost to this part of Anne Arundel County. Built in 1857 by William Linthicum, this antebellum manor home presided over a 130-acre farm. Twin oaks was the summer retreat of . . . — Map (db m68392) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — TPS-43Air Force S-Band Tactical Surveillance Radar
This Westinghouse product is still the most widely used transportable tactical air surveillance radar for early detection of aircraft. Sold to over 20 nations, it proved its high performance and reliability many times and set the stage for the next . . . — Map (db m131627) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum Heights — XAF Radar Antenna
The Naval Research Laboratory developed and constructed the experimental XAF radar in 1938. It was installed on the battleship USS New York for winter maneuvers in the Caribbean in early 1939. After nearly three months of constant . . . — Map (db m131634) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Anne and Christopher Birckhead1665
These stones mark the graves of Anne and Christopher Birckhead They are believed to be the oldest dated tombstones in Maryland

This registers for her bones, her fame is more perpetual than these stones and still her virtues, though her life . . . — Map (db m83399) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Benjamin Welch Owens, CSA(1836-1917)
On June 19, 1863, during the War Between the States (1861-65), Private Owens of the 1st Maryland Artillery, Confederate States of America, performed heroically at the Battle of Stephenson's Depot. Owens, born and raised in West River, Anne Arundel . . . — Map (db m22147) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Bitter EndStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Joshua Barney’s Chesapeake Flotilla was trapped in the shallows just upriver from here. With orders to keep his boats out of enemy hands, Barney reluctantly ordered his men to destroy the flotilla when the British approached. They laid trains of . . . — Map (db m79987) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Portland ManorSurveyed Dec. 6, 1667 — Portland Landing and Saint Jerome's —
Portland Landing and Saint Jerome's Surveyed 1700 Owned by Col. Henry Darnall brother-in-law of Charles, 3rd Lord Baltimore and Secretary of State. — Map (db m3142) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Pvt. Benjamin Welch OwensAn Outstanding Example of Courage
This monument, dedicated on June 17, 1999, honors the memory of a local man, Benjamin Welch Owens, who left his nearby West River farm to join Confederate forces during the Civil War. Owens was among the tens of thousands of men from Maryland who . . . — Map (db m22146) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Saint James’ ChurchOld Herring Creek Parish
The first church on this site was built, 1695, and the present structure was completed 1765. The Reverend Henry Hall (1675–1722) served as the first rector, 1698-1722. From 1786–1792 Saint James’ was the home parish of Thomas John . . . — Map (db m3143) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Anne Arundel Academy1854-1924
Site of private high school for boys and girls. Its aim: “To create a love for labor, honesty and a high moral life.” Phil Moore Leakin, founder and first principle, taught in rented log house, later in one-story school erected at cost . . . — Map (db m2881) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Baldwin Memorial United Methodist Church
Baldwin Memorial United Methodist Church, 1777–1977. This congregation met as a Methodist Society in 1777 at the John Sewell home, Brooksby’s Point, where circuit rider Bishop Francis Asbury often preached. Present site deeded in 1817. This . . . — Map (db m2882) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Charles W. Baldwin Hall
Constructed 1861 Relocated 1895 Enlarged 1935 * Relocated to this site 2 June 1981 Rededicated 21 May 1983 By the Severn Cross Roads Foundation — Map (db m6188) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Kinder Farmhouse Project
Restoration of the exterior and the interior first floor of this building to represent a typical late 1930s, early 1940s Anne Arundel County farmhouse. The farmhouse was built around 1925 by Henry Kinder and his wife Hilda (Yanke). The first . . . — Map (db m99089) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Old Stage-Coach Road
This stone marks the Old Stage-Coach Road over which General George Washington traveled when on his way to Annapolis to resign his commission as Commander-in-Chief of the American Forces 23 December 1783. — Map (db m2880) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Shipley’s Choice
Adam Shipley, who came to Anne Arundel County in 1668, on March 30, 1681, patented 200 acres on the south side of the Severn River. Dedicated during the Tercentenary Commemoration of the Shipleys of Maryland. May 25, 1968. — Map (db m2885) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Shipley’s Choice
Adam Shipley, came to Anne Arundel County in 1668. On March 30, 1681, 200 acres were surveyed and patented in his name. This tract was the earliest patented in the Shipley name. Marker was dedicated during the development of the subdivision named . . . — Map (db m2887) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Shipley's Choice
Adam Shipley, who came to Anne Arundel County in 1668, on March 30, 1681, patented 200 acres on the south side of the Severn River. Dedicated during the Tercentenary Commemoration of the Shipleys of Maryland. May 25, 1968. — Map (db m80457) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — The Severn Crossroads Church
Built as a Methodist Church in 1861 and used as the Church Sanctuary & Sunday School for fifty years. Moved in 1896 from SE to NE corner of General’s Highway and Indian Landing roads, and dedicated in 1935 to Charles W. Baldwin, its pastor for 71 . . . — Map (db m2884) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Tobacco Barn
Once harvested, tobacco leaves were placed on stakes and then hung across large poles from the ceiling down, to cure or dry and preserve the leaves. Curing was accomplished by a variety of ways, including using heated metal pipes or flues, wood . . . — Map (db m99088) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Widow Ramsey’s Tavern
Near here was junction of old Baltimore-Annapolis Road (“Generals Highway”) and a road laid out by Charles Carroll from Doughoregan Manor. On the south side of Severn Run stood Widow Ramsey’s where George Washington breakfasted June 7, . . . — Map (db m2888) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Odenton — Epiphany Episcopal Chapel and Church House
Only known World War I chapel in the United States. Consecrated in 1918 to minister to the soldiers at Camp Meade and serve as permanent mission in the village of Odenton. Designed in the Arts and Crafts style by Riggin Buckler. Used by all . . . — Map (db m3162) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Parole — Camp Parole
Located in this vicinity, one of three camps established during the Civil War to accept paroled Union prisoners of war for Confederate prisoners similarly confined in the south. Over the course of the war, thousands of soldiers were held here until . . . — Map (db m66303) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Bill Burton Fishing Pier
Dedicated September 19, 2009 in Memory of William (Bill) Joel Burton Legendary Maryland Outdoors Writer, Natural Resource Advocate and Fisherman A resident of Pasadena on Stoney Creek, Bill Burton was a true newspaperman who . . . — Map (db m49904) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Captain John Smith
On June 22-24, 1608, Captain John Smith and his small crew in an open boat explored the waters adjacent to Hancock's Resolution Park. This is proved by his mapping of the Magothy River, Bodkin Creek, and the Patapsco River (which he called the . . . — Map (db m9279) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Fort Smallwood Park Flagpole
Dedicated in Honor of Anne Arundel County Residents Who Lost Their Lives in the Global War on Terrorism May their scarifice be honored and remembered forever The Citizens of Anne Arundel County John R Leopold, County . . . — Map (db m9387) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Freetown
Established in the mid 19th century on land owned by Capt. James Spencer, who served in the Union Army during the Civil War, Freetown illustrates the principles of self-sufficiency and cooperation typical of African American communities. The first . . . — Map (db m13567) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Hancock's ResolutionBuilt c. 1785
Recorded on the National Register of Historic Places 1975. Second Marker (inside the facility): Hancock's Resolution Unusual for its stone construction, this house was built c1785 by Stephen & Belinda Ridgely Hancock, a . . . — Map (db m9064) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — In Memoriam
May 30 1960. Erected by Pasadena Post No. 277, American Legion. Dedicated to Anne Arundel County as a memorial to all who fought so valiantly in the World Wars and Korea....with eternal gratitude to those who made the supreme sacrifice to preserve . . . — Map (db m2897) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Magothy Methodist Church
One of the first Methodist societies in Anne Arundel County. Log church originally erected on tract acquired in 1764, now the cemetery. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here August 27, 1777. Church built on present site in 1859 was destroyed by fire . . . — Map (db m2863) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Mother's Garden
Mother's Garden was part of the summer estate of H. R. Mayo Thom. The garden was built in the early 1900's by Reginald Giddings for Mr. Thom's wife, Helen Hopkins Thom. The garden was maintained by the Bishop family until the 1960's. In 1982, the . . . — Map (db m9542) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Observing the EnemyStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Bodkin Island, having an excellent view down the Bay, was an observation station long before the war. The "Bodkin Telegraphe", a flag-signalling system based on Baltimore's Federal Hill, alerted Baltimore merchants from here as their ships . . . — Map (db m76732) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Preservation in Progressat Ft Smallwood Park
Ft Smallwood Park is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. As Anne Arundel County brings Ft Smallwood Park back to its former glory, this historic Concession Stand (c. 1932) will be preserved and restored. . . . — Map (db m98464) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Prime ViewStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
What became Fort Smallwood provided an ideal vantage point for the start - and end - of the British assalut on Baltimore in 1814. On September 11, ships anchored across the river from here. More than 4,500 troops were rowed ashore at North Point to . . . — Map (db m75087) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — So We Will Not Forget
With God's blessing, we dedicate this emblem of liberty to the men and women of this community who served and those who gave their all so that we, their children, and our childrens children can live in freedom, peace and harmony with our fellow men . . . — Map (db m9281) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — The History of Ft Smallwood Park
Before the Park (1674-1896) Native Americans have used this land for more than 5,000 years, leaving behind piles of oyster shell, along with shards of pottery and projectile points from the Lat Archaic (3,750BC-1,250BC) to the Woodland . . . — Map (db m98465) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — The History of Ft Smallwood Park
The Public Park Era (1927-Present) Recreation and places dedicated to its pursuit were a nation-wide phenomena in the early 20th Century. The shores of the Chesapeake Bay and its rivers were dotted with swimming beaches, waterfront . . . — Map (db m98466) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Veterans of Foreign WarsFort Smallwood Post 2462
Dedicate this monument Nov. 11, 1983 To all who made the supreme sacrifice. To those of us who carry the wounds of war. To those who's memories will live forever. Let us with God's help never forget. — Map (db m9282) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pumphrey — Pumphrey Elementary School
Completed in 1923 on Berlin Avenue under the Rosenwald Program, which was instrumental in the education of African Americans in the early 20th century. The fund provided matching grants for more than 5,000 schools, shops, and teachers' residences . . . — Map (db m79728) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Seven — W B & A Electric Railroad1908-1935
WB&A Road was constructed on the right-of-way of the main line of the Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis Electric Railroad. Using the most advanced technology of the time, the high-speed line provided passenger and freight service between Baltimore . . . — Map (db m35050) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Severna Park — Earleigh Heights Store
Earleigh Heights Store. Historic Home of Charles J. and Mary Novak Katlic and their children Marie, Charles, Eveylyn, James, Helen, Margie and Elizabeth. — Map (db m2898) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Severna Park — Governor William Stone
Born in England about 1603, he emigrated to Virginia about 1628, and he came to Maryland about 1648. He brought with him nine settlers, and many others followed. He obtained about 5,000 acres located in St. Mary’s, Charles and Calvert counties. . . . — Map (db m2889) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Severna Park — Jones StationThe Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad
Jones Station was the eighth stop from Annapolis on the Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad and served as both a passenger and freight station. The railroad fueled growth in the Baltimore-Annapolis corridor by providing fast and frequent passenger . . . — Map (db m76910) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Vanity — The boat that inspired the Chesapeake 20
This magnificent sailboat inspired a frenzy of boat building on the West River. In the 1930s, the Vanity reigned supreme in the hotly-contested 20-foot open class, a free-for-all sailboat race where the only requirements were that boats be . . . — Map (db m130029) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — At Work — At Play on the BayFrom Waterman's Home to Fishing Club
The story of the Captain Salem Avery House mirrors that of Shady Side and the larger history of the Chesapeake Bay region. 1860-1921 The Avery Family Home In the mid-19th century, a young man came to Shady Side from New York to make . . . — Map (db m130026) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Boatbuilding in Shady Side
I drew it up, most of the time on a piece of plywood, so it wouldn't get wrinkled up, and I'd use the measurements from that. I always liked to build boats, and I like to change the style of them and try to get something to look pretty good. . . . — Map (db m130019) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Cannon - From Shady Side's Rural Home Hotel
This cannon stood guard over the grounds of the Rural Home Hotel for seven decades at a time when visitors flocked to Shady Side to enjoy summers on the Chesapeake. How did this War of 1812 cannon end up here in Shady Side? In the . . . — Map (db m130024) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Crabbing
You just can't put your line in any place and get a crab. You got to know where they are. I could give some people my boat and line, but they'd starve to death. You have to have a feel for it. — George Procter, age 83 . . . — Map (db m130016) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Edna Florence
Deadrise designed for stability in oystering Built in Shady Side in 1933 by Capt. Perry Rogers — Map (db m130021) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Eels, Ducks, and Clams
I haven't seen 15 bushels of clams in so long... You do worse more days than you do better. Nature can't put it back as fast as man takes it away. — Ellsworth Brown, clammer, age 55 (1977) Eeling Bay . . . — Map (db m130006) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Fishing
He had powerful arms, shoulders, and hands. Pulling and hauling on nets all of his life, his hands were huge. He was a waterman. — Howard Shenton, age 67 (1986) The Catch Fishing has been a year-round . . . — Map (db m130007) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Going to Market
When you got into Baltimore, you'd fall short maybe twenty-five, thirty bushel...'Cause they took a good round bushel, you know, out of it. And this is life, the way we lived it. — Erwood Avery, Age 84 (1991) Rise and . . . — Map (db m130018) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Imagine Yourself on the River
You'd be better off with a boat than you were with shoes. — Erwood Aver, age 77 (1984) In the past, rivers were the roads connecting the people and products of Shady Side with Baltimore, Annapolis and other villages . . . — Map (db m130025) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Oystering
Then I took up oystering, went on the water oystering, and, oh my, I stayed out there and worked, and worked, and worked. — Julius Dennis, age 88 (1984) Scooping and Raking — Tonging and Dredging To . . . — Map (db m130012) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Seasons of the Waterman
A bad day on the water is better than the best day on land. — J.R. Gross, age 32 (2000) To make a living, a waterman thinks not in terms of weekly paychecks but rather, how much his family will bring in during the . . . — Map (db m130004) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — The Edna Florence
For tonging oysters — the best built boat there ever was... — Kenneth Nieman, age 72 (1984) In 1933, a boathouse on Parrish Creek in Shady Side, Captain Perry Rogers built the deadrise on display for . . . — Map (db m130020) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — The Changing Waterfront
Erosion has dramatically altered the waterfront you see — washing away more than 200 feet of land in Captain Avery's "front yard." It is said that the Avery family had to move the house back three times in the years they owned it. The original . . . — Map (db m130022) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Transformation of the Avery House and over a Century of Expansion
The house Salem Avery built for his family in 1860 still exists today, but you have to look closely to see it. The original home was modest and had only one room with a loft. Imagine the building in front of you reduced to just the colored . . . — Map (db m130002) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Shady Side — Welcome to the Captain Avery Museum
The Captain Avery Museum is a place to discover Chesapeake Bay life — past, present, and future. This property, first developed in the 1850's, has been continuously owned by the people connected to the water by occupation, recreational . . . — Map (db m130001) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), South River — All Hallows Church
All Hallows Parish, South River, one of the orginal thirty parishes created by law in 1692 when the Anglican Church was established in Maryland. The present Georgian church was built c. 1730. Several prominent London Town merchants are buried in the . . . — Map (db m2941) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), South River — The Old South River Club
Organized 1700 House built 1742 The oldest social club in America. — Map (db m2946) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Tracys Landing — Birds of Prey
Birds of prey, or raptors, are specially suited to their lives as hunters. Their strong legs and powerful grasping feet with sharp talons help them catch and kill prey. Hooked bills help tear the meat. Hawks, falcons, eagles and owls are an . . . — Map (db m79984) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Tracys Landing — Chesapeake Bay Wetlands
The marshlands you see around you play an integral part in keeping the Bay healthy. Besides acting as a nursery for fish, crabs, and other wildlife, marshes act as filters and sediment traps to protect the Bay's water quality. They also act as giant . . . — Map (db m79983) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Tracys Landing — OutnumberedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
When 250-300 British troops crossed from Tilghman Island to Town Point on October 27, 1814, they easily overcame five local militiamen manning a nine-pound cannon. They burned three buildings, and a windmill.

Moving up Herring Creek, they . . . — Map (db m79956) WM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Tracys Landing — The Town of Herrington: Unearthing the Origins of South County
During 2001-2004, Anne Arundel County’s Lost Towns Project conducted excavations in the neighboring community of Leitch in search of the lost town of Herrington (c. 1660), one of Maryland’s earliest legislated port towns. Established by the Maryland . . . — Map (db m79981) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Tracys Landing — Wildlife You May See
Watching wildlife can be a lot of fun. Many wildlife creatures are elusive and wary so you will need to move slowly and quietly. Early morning and late afternoons are usually the best times to see wildlife. A pair of binoculars is helpful.

Even . . . — Map (db m79982) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), West River — Old Quaker Burying Ground1672
Here April, 1672, George Fox, founder of Quakerism, opened the first General Meeting of Friends in Maryland, marking the beginning of West River Yearly Meeting and its successor, Baltimore Yearly Meeting of Friends. Site of West River Quaker Meeting . . . — Map (db m3038) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), West River — William Penn
Visited his Quaker friend William Richardson near this spot after the conference at Col. Thomas Tailler’s December 13, 1682. Lord Baltimore and the members of his Council accompanied him to this place. — Map (db m3039) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), West River — William Penn
Attended a meeting of the Friends (Quakers) at Thomas Hooker’s December 1682 on this tract called “Brownton” (patented in 1652 for 660 acres). Penn sailed from here across the Bay to the Choptank River to a General Meeting of the Friends. — Map (db m3041) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — “…a truly affectionate wife”
Frances "Fanny" H. Peachy, like most women buried here, remains largely anonymous. The daughter of a local minister, Frances H. Andrews (1799-1822) married Baltimore saddlemaker Thomas G. Peachy on February 28, 1821. Less than a year later she was . . . — Map (db m6644) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — “Baltimore must be tamed…”Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Baltimore’s importance as the commercial heart of the Chesapeake region wasn’t the only reason the British wanted to capture the city in 1814. They also wanted to stifle Fell’s Point---the home port for many of the privateers that preyed on British . . . — Map (db m79711) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — 6 — Working Point by David Hess1997
While seemingly toy-like, the sculpture neither moves nor did it ever function. It was designed to integrate 90 tons of obsolete machinery from Baltimore's industries, highlighting their many interconnections. All the components were donated to . . . — Map (db m131183) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1017 - 1021 East Baltimore Street
This structure,built around 1808, was home to the Colvin family for several generations. In 1874 it served temporarily as the Hebrew Orphan Asylum, whose original building had burned. The Presbyterian Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital opened here . . . — Map (db m61897) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1023 East Baltimore Street
Ship owner Isaac McKim built a house here in 1808. St. Vincent de Paul Roman Catholic Church bought the property in 1879 and built a large social hall beside the house, naming the complex Carroll Hall. Parish societies used the hall, but high rental . . . — Map (db m102326) HM

5338 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 401 through 601 were listed. Previous 200 Next 4738
Paid Advertisement