Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Baltimore Maryland Historical Markers

617 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 217
 
Marker and vault image, Touch for more information
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 26, 2008
Marker and vault
Maryland, Baltimore — Fame, Fortune and Financial Scandal
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
The Calhoun-Buchanan vault holds the remains of 29 members of two of Baltimore's leading Scots-Irish Presbyterian families spanning five or six generations. The neo-classical granite vault is probably the work of Robert Mills (1781-1855), the . . . — Map (db m6637) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Family and Children’s Services of Central Maryland
On West Lanvale Street.
Welcome to the Memorial Garden of Family and Children’s Services of Central Maryland. In Honor of Families and Children and their strivings to succeed-enter to enjoy, reflect, celebrate, remember and heal.

Established September 3, 1998 on the . . . — Map (db m101956) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Faust Brothers Building
On West Baltimore Street.
When constructed in 1870, the Faust Brothers Building incorporated the latest innovations in building construction methods and materials. The building’s intricate front and rear facades, composed entirely in cast iron, were once common in downtown . . . — Map (db m101784) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Federal Hill
On Warren Street at Henry Street, on the right when traveling west on Warren Street.
Since the founding of Baltimore, 1729, this hill has been a popular point for viewing the city’s growth. Here 4,000 people feasted 1780, to celebrate the ratification by Maryland of the Federal Constitution and in honor of the new government gave . . . — Map (db m2555) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Federal HillBuilding the Fort
Near Warren Street.
On the evening of May 13, 1861, U.S. General Benjamin E. Butler’s troops occupied Federal Hill and brought their guns to bear on Baltimore. For the next four years the hill, garrisoned by 10 different regiments, served as a strategic Union strong . . . — Map (db m2560) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Federal Hill and Otterbein
On South Sharp Street at West Hill Street, on the right when traveling south on South Sharp Street.
The Federal Hill and Otterbein Historic Districts exemplify preservation efforts in Baltimore. Adjacent to the Inner Harbor, they were among the earliest areas developed in the city. After periods of economic prosperity and decline, these historic . . . — Map (db m6357) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fells Point
On Thames Street at Broadway, on the left when traveling east on Thames Street.
A colonial maritime community established 1726 by William Fell, shipbuilder of Lancashire, England. In this area were built more than six hundred ships from the colonial era through the Civil War. Birthplace of the U.S. Frigate . . . — Map (db m2517) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fells Point
On Thames Street at South Broadway, on the right when traveling east on Thames Street.
[West-facing, left side:] Fells Point Baltimore's Original Deep Water Port Feisty, independent Fells Point was annexed by Baltimore in 1773. Despite the loss of its political independence, it has stayed true to its . . . — Map (db m118464) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ferdinand Clairborne Latrobe
On Broadway at East Baltimore Street on Broadway.
1833 1911 Seven Times Mayor of Baltimore In grateful acknowledgment of his eminent services the City has erected this monument AD 1914 — Map (db m60936) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Final RestStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
On West Fayette Street.
Once Baltimore’s most prestigious cemetery, Westminster Burying Ground was the final resting place for many prominent Baltimoreans, including some 25 from the War of 1812. Notable burials include: General Samuel Smith, commander of American forces . . . — Map (db m79848) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Baptist Church
On North Caroline Street, on the right when traveling north.
First Baptist Church, the oldest Black Baptist church in Maryland, was founded amidst turmoil in 1836, five years after Nat Turner's Rebellion in Virginia. Alarmed at the Rebellion, Maryland and other slave states passed laws restricting the . . . — Map (db m7564) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Baptist Church, Baltimore
On Fayette Street, on the right when traveling east.
On this site purchased in 1773, the first permanent meeting house, a dwelling for the pastor and a school house were erected and a cemetery established for the First Baptist Church of Baltimore Town. The present and fourth building of the church is . . . — Map (db m2599) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Boy Scout Armory
On Kelly Avenue at Bonnieview Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Kelly Avenue.
On this site, May 20, 1911, Ernest Thompson Seton, founder of the Boy Scouts of America, laid the cornerstone of the first Boy Scout Armory in the United States, and 30 acres of land were presented to the Mount Washington Boy Scouts for park and . . . — Map (db m114583) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Commercial Railroad Right-of-Way in AmericaThe War Came by Train
Near West Pratt Street east of South Schroeder Street, on the right when traveling east.
You are standing on the original right-of-way of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the nations first commercial railroad to handle both freight and passenger service. This right-of-way stands on land donated to the railroad by James Carroll the owner . . . — Map (db m135965) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Dental College
On West Baltimore Street, on the left when traveling east.
Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, first dental college in the world chartered by the General Assembly of Maryland March 6, 1840. Founders were Horace H. Hayden, M.D., D.D.S. and Chap A. Harris M.D., D.D.S. The Assembly stipulated by Act of . . . — Map (db m2530) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Gas Street Lamp in America
On Holliday Street at East Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling south on Holliday Street.
Site of the First Gas Street Lamp in America February 7, 1817 Rededicated February 7, 2017 • 200 Yrs • Baltimore Gas and Electric Company — Map (db m127234) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Methodist Episcopal Church1816 1916
On 22nd Street at St Paul Street on 22nd Street.
The Sunday School of the First Methodist Episcopal Church opened by the Asbury Sunday School Society November 17, 1816. Oldest Sunday School in Baltimore. Erected this tablet October 21 1916 in commemoration of the centenary of the Asbury Sunday . . . — Map (db m102710) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Unitarian Church
On West Franklin Street (U.S. 40) at North Charles Street, on the right when traveling west on West Franklin Street.
. . . — Map (db m5643) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fish Market
Near Water Street.
Baltimore's first fish market stood near the site of this structure as searly as 1773. The first market building, Centre Market, was authorized by act of the State legislature in 1784. It was also known as Marsh Market since it was built on Thomas . . . — Map (db m7322) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Flag House1793-1957
Near East Pratt Street.
. . . — Map (db m97401) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Florence Rena Sabin, M.D.1871-1953
On Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
First woman full professor at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Introducer of techniques for staining living cells. Reformer of Colorado's health laws. Her statue stands in the U.S. Capitol. — Map (db m6475) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Former GloryStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
On Boston Street at South Lakewood Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Boston Street.
The mouth of Harris Creek was once part of Baltimore’s thriving maritime industry. David Stodder began building ships here in the 1780s. The first U.S. Navy frigate, Constellation, launched from Stodders Shipyard in 1797 and played an active role . . . — Map (db m79670) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fort Look-Out
On East Randall Street at Riverside Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Randall Street.
During the War of 1812, a circular 180° earthen artillery redoubt was erected as a defense for Fort McHenry. On September 13, 1814, Lt. George Budd commanded naval forces that assisted in repulsing a nighttime British attack on the Ferry Branch . . . — Map (db m36849) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fort McHenry
Near Fort Avenue.
1814 - 1914 1776 Whetstone Point shore battery 1794 Star Fort begun. Later named for Washington’s Secretary of War 1795 Reservation partly acquired by the United States 1814 Gallant defence during British . . . — Map (db m2569) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fort McHenry National Monument & Historic Shrine
Near Fort Avenue.
As a guardian of Baltimore’s harbor, Fort McHenry is the site of the sucessful defense of the city by American Forces during the British attack on September 12–14, 1814 which inspired Francis Scott Key to write “The Star-Spangled . . . — Map (db m2568) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Foundation on Which to Build a CommunityPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
On Dolphin Street at Etting Street on Dolphin Street.
Churches serve as more than places of worship in Baltimore’s black communities. Led by strong clergy, African American churches have nurtured the soul, fed, clothed, and housed the poor, fought for civil rights, supported business and job placement, . . . — Map (db m101671) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Francis Scott Key
On East Mt. Vernon Place at North Charles Street, on the right when traveling west on East Mt. Vernon Place.
Author of The Star Spangled Banner departed this life on the site of this building Jan. 11, 1843. “And this be our motto In God is our Trust” —Key — Map (db m5558) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Francis Scott Key
On Eutaw Place at West Lanvale Street, on the left when traveling north on Eutaw Place.
1780-1843 Presented to the City of Baltimore Charles L. Marburg [this marker tells its story in a pictorial manner] On one side, ships are depicted bombarding Fort McHenry. On the other, the view is from Fort McHenry out onto the ships in . . . — Map (db m6548) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Franklin P. Mall, M.D.1862-1919
On Bolton Street, on the right when traveling south.
First Johns Hopkins Professor of Anatomy. After 1914, also first Director of the Department of Embryology at Washington's Carnegie Institution, where he pioneered embryological research. — Map (db m6480) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Frederick DouglassAbolitionist / Orator / Author
On Aliceanna Street at South Durham Street, on the right when traveling east on Aliceanna Street.
Frederick Douglass was born into American slavery on Maryland's Eastern Shore in February 1818. In March 1826, Douglass, a slave child, was sent to live in the Hugh Auld household at this location, from 1826-1831. Douglass periodically resided . . . — Map (db m2603) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Frederick Douglass
On South Dallas Street, on the right when traveling south.
"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation are those who want crops without plowing up the ground - they want rain without thunder and lightning." - Frederick Douglass Born in February, 1818, on Maryland's Eastern Shore, . . . — Map (db m7562) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Frederick Douglass SculptureFrederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park
On Thames Street.
Frederick Douglass is one of the best-known Americans of the 19th century. Schools, churches and other community buildings across the United States have been named after him. Known for bravery, vision and insightfulness, Douglas fought for the . . . — Map (db m103409) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park and Museum
On Thames Street.
Welcome-The Living Classrooms Foundation is a non-profit organization, operates for the benefit of the community at large, providing hands-on education and job skills training to students from diverse backgrounds, with a special emphasis on serving . . . — Map (db m103334) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Free State Pub
Near Russell Street 0.1 miles north of Lee Street, on the right when traveling north.
The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution banned the manufacture, sale and transportation of alcohol from 1920 to 1933. Maryland - nicknamed "The Old Line State" from George Washington's time - was the only state that never passed a state . . . — Map (db m104269) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Freedom & Equality for All
Near Washington Place.
After a Republican victory in the Presidential Election of 1860, the South park of Mt. Vernon Place seceded from the union... of the parks. The South park and the residents around it were infuriated that the North Park was a free park open to . . . — Map (db m7721) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — From Bricks and Pianos to FootballGwynns Falls Trail
On Howard Street.
More than a million bricks were used to construct M&T Bank Stadium in 1998. This reflects not only Maryland’s architectural heritage, but also the history of the site, a one-time colonial brickyard. Alexander Russell produced bricks here, using clay . . . — Map (db m104382) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Furley Hall
On Parkside Drive at Boehms Lane on Parkside Drive.
On hill to the north stood the Georgian mansion built c. 1775 by Daniel Bowley II (1745–1807), Baltimore merchant and patriot of the revolution. He was a town commissioner, 1771–1778, and three times a State Senator. In 1814, British . . . — Map (db m2618) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — G. Krug & Son
On West Saratoga Street, on the right when traveling east.
"There is hardly a building in Baltimore that doesn't contain something we made, even if it is only a nail." So boasted Theodore Krug, heir to the oldest continuously working iron shop in the country. For more than 170 years artisans here have . . . — Map (db m6619) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Garrett Jacobs Mansion7, 9 & 11 W. Mt. Vernon Place
On West Mount Vernon Place.
The Garrett Jacobs Mansion is an architectural treasure that provides an historic window to Baltimore’s 19th century elegance. The mansion combines the work of two of America’s most distinguished architects: Stanford White and John Russell Pope. The . . . — Map (db m62424) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Garry Moore1915-1993
On John Street, on the right when traveling south.
Born Thomas Garrison Morfit, he was an early host and star of 1950s and 1960s television variety shows, including I've Got a Secret and The Garry Moore Show. — Map (db m6589) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gas, Dredges, Beer, and PianosGwynns Falls Trail
On Bayard Street.
This area of Baltimore, known as Carroll-Camden, was one of the city’s earliest industrial districts. Starting in the 1800s, it served as the home of the gas-lighting industry, breweries, and manufacturers of dredging equipment and pianos. Baltimore . . . — Map (db m104052) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — General Casimir Pulaski
On Eastern Avenue at South Linwood Ave on Eastern Avenue.
Casimir Pulaski (Kazimierz Pulaski) was born in the late 1740’s in Warsaw, Poland. In his native country he fought against Imperial Russia, winning fame and respect for his brilliant and daring attacks on the Russian forces attacking his . . . — Map (db m60996) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Generating Electricity from the Sun
On Key Highway.
On the wall above this sign, on the roofs of the Science Center and the parking to your right are solar panels that contain many photovoltaic (PV) cells. These PV cells convert light from the sun directly into electricity.

The PV cells are . . . — Map (db m103094) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — George Herman (Babe) Ruth
On Eislen Street at Camden Street on Eislen Street.
Babe Ruth was born in 1895, a few blocks northwest of here on Emory Street. In 1902 the seven-year-old was sent to Saint Mary's Industrial School, a home for unwanted children in southwest Baltimore. On the school's playfields he became an . . . — Map (db m136346) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — George W. Rayner HouseCirca 1879
On Bolton Street, on the right when traveling south.
George Rayner (1854-1884), lawyer and one of Baltimore's wealthiest men, was the first to call this home. — Map (db m6579) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — George Washington Bicentennial Marker
On North Charles Street at East Mulberry Street, on the left when traveling north on North Charles Street.
This elm has watched the growth of "Baltimore Towne" for over 100 years, on former estate of John Eager Howard, Revolutionary and 1812 Officer and fifth governor of Maryland. Here, in "Howard's Woods", Count De Rochambeau's troops camped, 1782, . . . — Map (db m5563) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gerald W. Johnson1890-1980
On Bolton Street.
Journalist, historian and biography. His political commentary, in print and on television, led Adlai Stevenson to call him "the critic and conscience of the nation." — Map (db m6478) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gertrude Stein1874 - 1946 — Writer - American —
On East Biddle Street.
Lived here with her brother Leo Stein while a student at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine from 1897 to 1900. — Map (db m109372) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gloria VictisConfederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument
On Mount Royal Avenue. Reported permanently removed.
Gloria Victis-To the Soldiers and Sailors of Maryland in the service of the Confederate States of America. 1861-1865 {The front of the base of the monument}Map (db m62306) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Goucher Hall
On Saint Paul Street.
The Woman’s College of Baltimore was founded in 1884, when Reverend John Franklin Goucher, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife, Mary C. Fisher, offered land and $150,000 to establish a college for women.

The first class of . . . — Map (db m102849) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Grace and St. Peter's Church
On Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Built for Grace Church in 1852, this was one of the first Gothic Revival churches in the South to use Connecticut brownstone. St. Peter's Church, founded in 1802, and Grace Church, founded in 1850, were united in 1912. This union is symbolized by . . . — Map (db m6013) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Grand Army of the Republic
On Warren Avenue 0 miles east of Battery Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
In memory of the Grand Army of the Republic by the Daughters of the Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861-1865. Mother Sperling Tent No. 1, April 23, 1933. [rear of marker] [Engraving of a 13-star flag] Our fathers saved. [text on top . . . — Map (db m66592) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Great Railroad Strike of 1877
Near Howard Street south of West Camden Street, on the right when traveling south.
The first national strike began July 16, 1877, with Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers in Martinsburg, West Virginia, and Baltimore Maryland. It spread across the nation halting rail traffic and closing factories in reaction to widespread worker . . . — Map (db m63862) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Greek Orthodox Cathedral
On W Preston Street.
The circular stone church is one of the most unusual buildings in Baltimore. Designed by Charles E. Cassell in Romanesque style with Byzantine touches, it was built for the Associate Reformed Church in 1889. Eighteen polished granite columns support . . . — Map (db m102335) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Green Mount Cemetery
On Greenmount Avenue.
Green Mount Cemetery was dedicated in 1839 on the site of the former country estate of Robert Oliver. This was the beginning of the “rural cemetery movement”; Green Mount was Baltimore’s first such rural cemetery and one of the first in . . . — Map (db m62629) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls Park at Frederick AvenueGwynns Falls Trail
On Frederick Avenue.
Here at this narrow point in the Gwynns Falls the historic Baltimore and Frederick Turnpike crossed the Gwynns Falls. The Ellicott family built the road to connect Baltimore with the wheat fields and mills to the west. The Ellicotts acquired the . . . — Map (db m102586) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls Park at Wilkens AvenueGwynns Falls Trail
On Wilkens Ave just east of Hurley Avenue.
Swimming pools and a basketball court were once located on the floodplain here along the Gwynns Falls. Now, trees stabilize the stream banks to help reduce erosion during periodic floods and restore the stream’s health. The basketball court was . . . — Map (db m102624) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls Park at Windsor Mill RoadGwynns Falls Trail
On Windsor Mill Road.
The two-mile portion of the trail between here and Trailhead 4 at Leon Day Park is the only section with a gravel surface. The trail follows the route of an early 1800s millrace along the Gwynns Falls that carried water from Dickeyville to power the . . . — Map (db m102658) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls TrailMiddle Branch Park at Waterview Avenue
On Waterview Avenue.
The Gwynns Falls Trail at Middle Branch Park is a splendid place to do some birdwatching, learn to row, try your luck fishing, and relax while enjoying views of the city’s skyline and harbor activities. To the north, under I-95, the Gwynns Falls for . . . — Map (db m65304) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls TrailBlocking the Interstate
On I-70 Park and Ride off Security Blvd..
Norman Reeves, a member of the Baltimore City Council, was an active opponent of the expressway. A Leaking Park trail is named in his memory.—Barbara Mikulski, an activist social worker and Fells Point resident, and later City Council member, . . . — Map (db m103766) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls TrailLeon Day Park at Franklintown Road
On North Franklintown Road.
From picnic and playground facilities to sports fields and courts, Leon Day Park serves as a gathering place for people of all ages in the Rosemont-Franklintown Road neighborhood. Formerly called Calverton, the area contained mills and . . . — Map (db m103767) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls TrailGwynns Falls Park at I-70/Franklintown
On I-70 Park and Ride off Security Blvd..
Here at Interstate 70, this hiking and biking trail runs 15 miles through nearby Franklintown and the Gwynns Falls valley to the Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore and the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River, a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. The . . . — Map (db m114588) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls ValleyFrom Work to Play
Near Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 144), on the right when traveling west.
As the Baltimore and Frederick-Town Turnpike twisted and turned westward, it passed one of the centers of early city industry. A three mile long millrace on the Gwynns Falls provided power for over twenty mills that sawed wood, ground flour, wove . . . — Map (db m4940) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — H. Irvine Keyser
On West Monument Street at Park Avenue, on the left when traveling east on West Monument Street.
This site and these buildings were presented to the Maryland Historical Society as a memorial to my husband H. Irvine Keyser of Baltimore. Obit May 7, 1916. A member of the Society 1873 to 1916. — Map (db m2527) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — H. L. Mencken House
On Hollins Street.
Henry Louis Mencken was born on Lexington Street on September 12, 1880. His father hoped his eldest son would continue the family cigar manufacturing business, but after his father's death in 1899, Mencken headed straight for the Baltimore . . . — Map (db m5035) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Hackerman House
On West Mount Vernon Place, on the right when traveling east.
Built in 1850, Hackerman House, formerly the Thomas-Jencks-Gladding Mansino, was given to the City of Baltimore by Willard and Lillian Hackerman in 1984 and conveyed to the Walters Art Museum by the Honorable William Donald Schaefer in 1985. . . . — Map (db m6019) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Harry Gilmor Monument
On Wilkens Ave..
Front panel In memory of Harry Gilmor, Lt. Col. 2nd Maryland Cavalry, Army of Northern Virginia. C.S.A

Back panel Harry Gilmor Born January 24, 1838. Died March 4, 1883. Distinguished in Eighteen Hundred and Seventy Seven as . . . — Map (db m106855) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — Henry August Rowland House
On Cathedral Street, on the left when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m6003) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Henry Highland Garnet Park
On Druid Hill Avenue (Maryland Route 129) at West Lafayette Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Druid Hill Avenue.
This is a community park developed by the Special Impact Neighborhood Improvement Program and the Department of Recreatoin and Parks dedicated to the memory of Henry Highland Garnet by the Henry Highland Garnet Neighborhood Council. Henry . . . — Map (db m6236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Henry Highland Garnett SchoolThurgood Marshall Elementary School PS 103 — Upton's Henry Highland Garnett Community Center —
On Division Street.
PS 103 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Old West Baltimore National Register Historic District. It is one of the attractions along the Pennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail scheduled to open in 2008 by the Baltimore . . . — Map (db m101955) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Historic Canton
On O’Donnell Street at Potomac Street, in the median on O’Donnell Street.
Through the efforts of the Canton Improvement Association this old and densely populated ethnic neighborhood was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The two-story red brick row houses are especially noteworthy for their hand . . . — Map (db m2430) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Historic WoodberryWelcome to Historic Woodberry Circa 1790
On Clipper Park Road.
Woodberry is nestled on a tract of land once known as “Come by Chance.” Woodberry Mill, the first grist mill in the area, was built by Elisha Tyson in 1790. In later years, the location attracted extensive cotton and iron manufacturing . . . — Map (db m138724) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Holocaust Memorial
On East Lombard Street at Gay Street on East Lombard Street.
The Holocaust, the German attempt to annihilate European Jewry between 1933 and 1945, took the lives of six million Jews. Although genocide was not unprecedented, the Holocaust was unique not just in its numerical magnitude. Never before had a . . . — Map (db m103226) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Home of Edward JohnsonMayor of Baltimore 1808-1814 and 1822
On East Lombard Street on East Lombard Street.
• Mayor in 1812 when the city prepared for war with the British. Known as “Baltimore's War”, Johnson headed the Committee of Vigilance and Safety and rallied Baltimore's citizens for battle. • The mayor was nearly killed while . . . — Map (db m97280) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Homewood
Near University Parkway.
The Home of Charles Carroll, Jr. A National Historic Landmark Built 1801 - Restored 1987 Open for Tours - Museum ShopMap (db m6114) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Homewood
On Charles Street (Maryland Route 139) at Greenway, on the right when traveling south on Charles Street.
Property purchased in 1800 by Charles Carroll, signer of the Declaration of Independence, as a wedding present for his only son, Charles and bride Harriett Chew of Philadelphia. The younger Charles designed and oversaw the building of the . . . — Map (db m18315) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Howard A. Kelly, M.D.1858-1943
On Eutaw Place, on the right when traveling south.
"Wizard of the operating room." First Johns Hopkins Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics. First head of gynecology, Johns Hopkins Hospital. Early user of radium to treat cancer. — Map (db m6565) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Hugh Lennox Bond1828-1893
On West Lanvale Street, on the right when traveling east.
Stalwart supporter of President Lincoln and of Emancipation. Chief Judge in the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court, where he was nicknamed "The Curse of the K.K.K" for his harsh sentences. — Map (db m6462) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 4 — Hull of the Gov. R.M. McLane1884
Near Key Highway east of Boyle Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Governor R.M. McLane was built for the Maryland State Police Oyster Navy and named after Robert Milligan McLane, Governor of Maryland from January 1884 to March 1885. The Oyster Navy was formed in 1867 in order to enforce fishery laws on . . . — Map (db m131181) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Full GloryStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
At home in the city credited with helping to turn the tide for Americans in the War of 1812, the collections of the Maryland Historical Society preserve evidence of the people who live this history. The Center for Maryland History has the nation’s . . . — Map (db m79842) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Full Glory Reflected
Near E. Fort Avenue.
9:00 a.m., September 14, 1814 The bombardment has ended; the battle is over. As the rain clouds pass and the rays of the sun shine on the fort, the garrison, tired and relieved, stands upon the parade ground. All eyes stare at the large 30 x . . . — Map (db m60567) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Memorial1955 - 2005
On East Baltimore Street at North Gay Street, on the left when traveling east on East Baltimore Street.
Six members of the Baltimore City Fire Department died in the line of duty while fighting a fire at the Tru-Fit clothing company 507-509 East Baltimore Street on February 16, 1955. Batallion Chief Francis P. O'Brien, Fourth Batallion • Fire . . . — Map (db m7320) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Memory of Dr. Lillie May Jackson
On Druid Hill Avenue (Maryland Route 129) at West Lanvale Street, on the right when traveling south on Druid Hill Avenue. Reported missing.
Servant of God, Champion of the People, Mother of Freedom May 25, 1976 Erected by the Association for Study of Afro-American Life and History In Cooperation with the Amoco Foundation, Inc. — Map (db m6238) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Memory of Harvey J. Burns, Jr.1923-1988
On Hanlon Drive, on the right when traveling north.
A Black pioneer in Baltimore tennis. Teacher - promoter - mentor of youth seeking entry into the tennis circuit. — Map (db m7598) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — In Memory of Mary Young Pickersgill1776-1857
On Wilkens Aveune.
In the summer of 1813 Baltimore was preparing to defend itself against another invasion by the British, a “Second War of Independence.” Baltimore’s most prominent flag-maker at that time was a widow named Mary Young Pickersgill. In the . . . — Map (db m114589) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — In This Building From 1992 - 1999
On Thames Street, on the right when traveling east.
A group of talented people created a television legend. Homicide Life on the Street — Map (db m6331) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Infusing Style and Sophistication:The Influence of Maximilian Godefroy
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
For its first 25 years, the burying ground remained a simple place characterized by plain grave markers. After 1810, tastes changed and First Presbyterian Church's leading public figures demanded the ornate. The most dramatic change was a new . . . — Map (db m6645) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Inner Harbor Lofts
On South Paca Street at West Lombard Street (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling north on South Paca Street.
This complex, once three separate structures built between 1886 and 1905, hosed a wide variety of industries. These included a shoe manufacturer, the nation's leading straw hat company, (M.S. Levy), one of the largest lithographers in the south, . . . — Map (db m6984) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Inspired WordsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
On Hopkins Plaza-West Baltimore Street.
After 10 harrowing days aboard ship and witnessing the British bombardment of Fort McHenry, Francis Scott Key spent his first night ashore at the Indian Queen Tavern, September 16-17, 1814. The inn operated at this site until the 1830s.

Moved by . . . — Map (db m79849) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — Irish Railroad Workers Shrine
On Lemmon Street.
Shrine Left Panel The successive failures of the potato crops in the 1840’s, the inability or willingness of the British Parliament to respond to the ensuing famine, forced evictions of the peasants from their homeland by British landlords, . . . — Map (db m101384) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — IrvingtonThe Last Stop before Baltimore
On Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 144) at Woodington Road on Frederick Avenue.
Before Irvington existed, eastbound travelers encountered the last hill on the Baltimore and Frederick-Town Turnpike. The turnpike was part of the system of roads that connected to the National Road in Cumberland in 1806. During the 1800s, this . . . — Map (db m114592) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — J. Howard Payne (1887-1960) House — Historic Marble Hill —
On McCulloh Street (Maryland Route 129), on the right when traveling south.
A prominent and distinguished Baltimore African-American attorney, real estate broker, and politician. He was educated in Baltimore City public schools and graduated from Howard University Law School. As a friend of James Cardinal Gibbons, he . . . — Map (db m89570) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Jacob Epstein1864-1945
On Park Avenue.
Innovative wholesale merchant to the South and collector of Old Master paintings. As a philanthropist, he inaugurated the system of matching charitable grants. — Map (db m6568) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Jacob J. Abel, M.D.1857-1938
On Bolton Street, on the right when traveling south.
Pioneer researcher on adrenalin, insulin, and the artificial kidney. First Professor of Pharmacology at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. For 40 years the leading pharmacologist in America. — Map (db m6569) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James Cardinal Gibbons
Near Gay Street at Fayette Street.
At this site, on July 23, 1834, was born America’s first Prince of the Church, James Cardinal Gibbons. Although world-renowned for the influence and profoundness of his thought he was always the parish priest striving for the salvation of . . . — Map (db m2703) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James Cardinal Gibbons Monument
On Mulberry Street at Cathedral Street on Mulberry Street.
James Cardinal Gibbons Archbishop of Baltimore Devoted Churchman Exemplary Citizen Friend of Humanity July 23, 1834 March 24, 1921 Citizens of many faiths hereby honor a great American — Map (db m102377) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James L. (Jim) Caskey, Jr.(1945-1999)
On Scott Street at Washington Blvd. on Scott Street.
Jim Caskey, who lived at 523 Scott Street, served his Southwest Baltimore neighbors in many ways. He co-founded and long served as Treasurer of the South Baltimore Federal Credit Union, which for many years was located in this building, 788 . . . — Map (db m103204) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James McHenryIrish-Born Founding Father
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
Newcomers like James McHenry helped shape the future of the new republic. A native of Ireland's County Antrim, McHenry (1753-1816) emigrated to Philadelphia in 1771 where he studied medicine with Benjamin Rush, one of Colonial America's most . . . — Map (db m6647) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — James McHenry, M.D.
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
Signer of the Constitution 1755-1816 The Maryland State Society Daughters of the American Revolution June 26, 1929 — Map (db m6648) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Jesse Lazear, M.D.1866-1900
On West Lanvale Street, on the right when traveling east.
Johns Hopkins researcher in Cuba. To find the cause of yellow fever he courageously exposed himself to virus-infected mosquitoes and died of the disease, thereby proving the route of transmission. — Map (db m6583) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Joe Gans and the Goldfield Hotel
On Colvin Street at E. Lexington Street, on the left when traveling north on Colvin Street.
The Goldfield Hotel once stood at the corner of East Lexington and Colvin Streets. Joe Gans, a Baltimore native and the first African American boxing champion, owned the hotel and its nightclub, which was one of the earliest integrated clubs in the . . . — Map (db m40431) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — John Eager Howard
On West Centre Street, on the left when traveling east.
This park and sculpture commemorates Revolutionary War hero, benefactor and statesman John Eager Howard. Howard entered the Revolutionary Army at age 24, and soon gained military fame for his skillful and heroic use of the bayonet in the Battle of . . . — Map (db m5985) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — John H. B. Latrobe House
On West Mulberry Street (U.S. 40).
On an evening in October, 1833, three of Baltimore's most discerning gentlemen were gathered around a table in the back parlor of this house. Fortified with “some old wine and some good cigars,” John Pendleton Kennedy, James H. Miller . . . — Map (db m4939) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — John McDonogh
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
1737-1809 Elizabeth McDonogh 1746-1808 Parents of John McDonogh Founder McDonogh School for Boys Restored by The McDonogh Alumni Association 1949 — Map (db m6631) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — John Smith Explores Patapsco
Near Waterview Avenue.
Captain John Smith visited the Patapsco River twice in 1608 after settling at Jamestown the previous year. In a 40-foot shallop, Smith and his crew were exploring the Chesapeake Bay hoping, in vain, to discover a passage to the Pacific Ocean. On the . . . — Map (db m6360) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Joseph GansMount Auburn Cemetery
On Waterview Avenue (Cemetery Entrance).
GANS Joseph Nov.25, 1874-Aug.10, 1910. World’s Lightweight Champion 1902-1904 1906-1908 Inducted into IBHOF 1990 [Bronze plaque at bottom of monument:] Grave site restored 2005 - Veteran Boxers Association, Inc. . . . — Map (db m114591) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Joseph H. Lockerman and the Coppin Normal SchoolBaltimore Black History
On Pulaski Street.
In 1923, flags at black schools across Baltimore flew at half-mast to mourn the death of Joseph Lockerman. Nicknamed “Moses” for his leadership and quite dignity, he grew up in Caroline County, where two white teachers noticed and . . . — Map (db m101498) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Joshua Johnson
Near West Baltimore Street at North Hanover Street, on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
[The majority of the text on the photocopy of the picture of the marker is unreadable. It ends as follows:] His painting now hang in many museums, including the Metropolitan in New York and the National Gallery in Washington, D.C. Below are two . . . — Map (db m9478) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Katyn Remembered
On President Street at Aliceanna Street, in the median on President Street.
When duty called they answered. When they refused the embrace of Stalin—they died. Now we commend them to the ages to be included amongst history’s martyrs. In 1939, the Soviet Union in league with Nazi Germany attacked Poland . . . — Map (db m2422) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Keswick
On 40th Street at Keswick Road, on the right when traveling west on 40th Street.
The Home for Incurables of Baltimore City, was incorporated November 1, 1883, through leadership and resources provided by the men and women of the Hospital Relief Association of Maryland. The purpose of this organization, incorporated December 18, . . . — Map (db m2387) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Keyser Quadrangle
Near N. Charles Street.
Named for William Keyser who was the moving force behind the donation of the Homewood property to Johns Hopkins. He contributed 62 acres and also organized the donation of other land by Samuel Keyser, Francis M. Jencks, William H. Buckler, and . . . — Map (db m6122) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — King Gambrinus, 1879
King Gambrinus originally stood in a niche above the door at John Frederick Wiessner and Sons’ Baltimore brewery. It is the earliest surviving zinc sculpture of this popular icon of the brewing industry in the United States.

In the second half . . . — Map (db m60959) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — 5 — Knabe Piano Factory Cupola1869
Near Key Highway east of Boyle Street, on the right when traveling west.
This elegantly designed cupola sat atop the William Knabe and Company piano factory in 1869 off South Eutaw Street, near present day Oriole Park at Camden Yards. The original building and cupola is an example of 19th century decorative industrial . . . — Map (db m131182) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lafayette Monument
On North Charles Street at Monument Street, in the median on North Charles Street.
La Fayette, immortal because a self-forgetful servant of justice and humanity. Beloved by all Americans because he acknowledged no duty more sacred than to fight for the freedom of his fellow men. —Woodrow Wilson En 1777 La Fayette . . . — Map (db m2394) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Leadenhall Baptist Church
On South Sharp Street at West Henrietta Street, on the left when traveling south on South Sharp Street.
After the Civil War, a large number of black Baptists migrated to Baltimore. This church was organized in 1872 by black Baptists of the Sharp-Leadenhall area, with the help of the Maryland Baptist Union Association. It is the second oldest church . . . — Map (db m6358) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Leakin Park at the Crimea EstateGwynns Falls Trail
On Eagle Drive.
Leakin Park provides tennis courts, playgrounds, sports fields, picnic facilities, and woodlands for year-around public use. This property was once a part of Thomas de Kay Winans’ country estate, Crimea, purchased by the city in the 1940s with . . . — Map (db m102631) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Leakin Park at Winans MeadowGwynns Falls Trail
On North Franklintown Road.
Here in Leakin Park wander around Winans Meadow, enjoy a picnic, and walk in a Piedmont forest and bike along the Dead Run as it flows to the Gwynns Falls and eventually the Chesapeake Bay. View ruins of old farm buildings, a mock fort, and an iron . . . — Map (db m115236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lee Jackson MonumentReconciling History — Baltimore's Confederate Monuments —
On Art Museum Drive. Reported permanently removed.
This monument was a gift from prominent Baltimore banker J. Henry Ferguson, who left funds in his will for the City of Baltimore to create a monument to his childhood heroes, Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson. Ferguson died . . . — Map (db m103158) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Leon Day Park
Near North Franklintown Road.
This park is named for Leon Day, an outstanding player in the Negro Leagues who was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. A resident of southwest Baltimore, Day joined the Baltimore Black Sox in 1934 when African Americans could not play in . . . — Map (db m6345) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lightship ChesapeakeThe Baltimore Maritime Museum
On East Pratt Street, on the right when traveling east.
Lightship 116 "Chesapeake" was built in 1930 as a manned navigational beacon and fulfilled this role under the US Lightship Service and the US Coast Guard for nearly 40 years. On station in all weather and sea conditions, lightships and their crews . . . — Map (db m32733) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lillie Carroll Jackson Civil Rights Museum
On Eutaw Place.
Dr. Lillie May Carroll Jackson, born in Baltimore on May 25, 1889, was a tireless freedom fighter. As an “American of African descent, “she endured the humiliation of Jim Crow segregation, but did not take this plight sitting down. Using . . . — Map (db m101626) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lillie Carroll Jackson Museum
On Eutaw Place, on the right when traveling south. Reported missing.
"God opened my mouth and no man can shut it." With this firm belief in God and herself, "Ma" Jackson acieved extraordinary success in securing equal rights for blacks in Baltimore and Maryland. Born in 1889, she began fighting for black equality and . . . — Map (db m6562) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lillie May Carroll Jackson & Juanita Jackson MitchellBaltimore Black History
On Pulaski Street.
As pioneers of non-violent resistance, Lillie Mae Carroll Jackson and daughter Juanita Jackson Mitchell helped lay the foundation for the national Civil Rights Movement in 1931, they founded the City-Wide Young People’s Forum for West Baltimore . . . — Map (db m101497) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Living Classrooms Foundation
Near Eastern Avenue.
Lady Maryland The Lady Maryland is an authentic replica of a pungy schooner, a Chesapeake Bay workboat that sailed the Bay in the 1700s and 1800s. Pungies were fast sailing vessels and were primarily used to transport perishable cargo such as . . . — Map (db m6126) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lloyd Street Synagogue
On Lloyd Street at Watson Street, on the right when traveling north on Lloyd Street.
The Lloyd Street Synagogue, dedicated in 1845, is the first synagogue erected in Maryland and the third oldest surviving synagogue in the United States. A simple, elegant building in the popular Greek Revival style, it was designed for the Baltimore . . . — Map (db m7072) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lloyd Street SynagogueHistoric Baltimore
On Lloyd Street at Watson Street, on the left when traveling south on Lloyd Street.
. . . — Map (db m98100) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Local Hero, National Leader
Near West Fayette Street near North Greene Street.
Sam Smith is the most important public figure buried at Westminster. A hero in two wars, Smith (1752-1839) spent 40 years as a U.S. Congressman and Senator. As a merchant, Smith amassed and lost a fortune, but won the admiration of locals who, in . . . — Map (db m6650) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Locust Point
On Fort Avenue at Towson Street, on the right when traveling east on Fort Avenue.
Established as a port of entry in 1706, this peninsula was originally known as Whetstone Point. Along this road in 1814, soldiers marched to the defense of Fort McHenry, nearby. Port facilities served as a Federal supply camp in the Civil War. Later . . . — Map (db m2561) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Locust Point Immigration DepotBaltimore Immigration Memorial Site
On North Haubert Street north of Key Highway East, on the right when traveling north.
Over 1.2 million European immigrants disembarked near this site, on piers six through nine, as part of the "Great Wave" immigration period from 1868 to 1914. The majority of these immigrants came on ships of the North German Lloyd Steamship Company, . . . — Map (db m131174) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Locust Point Veterans Memorial
On East Fort Avenue at Andre Street, on the right when traveling east on East Fort Avenue.
Dedicted to those men and women of the Armed Forces of the United States who, in serving their country during times of conflict have suffered the scars of battle. Donated on behalf of the entire community of South Baltimore and Locust Point by the . . . — Map (db m34895) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Loring Cornish / How Great Thou Art
On Thames Street east of South Bond Street.
Baltimore artist Loring Cornish, known for his colorful mosaics and personality, moving to California Artist Loring Cornish, whose glass and found-object mosaics have beautified homes on Eutaw Street, a former police outpost near Penn . . . — Map (db m118456) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Loudon Park National Cemetery
Near Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 144) west of McCurley Street, on the right when traveling east.
National Cemetery (center panel) In December 1861, the U.S. Sanitary Commission designated a small area of Loudon Park Cemetery for the burial of Union soldiers who died in Baltimore hospitals. The half-acre lot in the northeast corner . . . — Map (db m135081) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lt. Owen E. Sweeney, Jr. Memorial
On Walther Avenue at Glenmore Avenue on Walther Avenue.
Baltimore Police Badge No. 122. In memory of Lieutenant Owen E. Sweeney, Jr. Baltimore Police Department. Sworn June 10, 1963. Killed in the Line of Duty, May 7, 1997 while selflessly helping his fellow officers preserve the tranquility of this . . . — Map (db m114578) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lucille CliftonBaltimore Black History
On Payson Street.
Lucille Clifton lived in West Baltimore from 1967. She became poet-in-residence at Coppin State University in 1971. By 1974, she had published two important collections of poetry that focused on black urban life at a very personal level. The . . . — Map (db m101478) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Luther G. Smith
Near West Pratt Street east of South Schroeder Street, on the right when traveling east.
On June 12, 1912, Luther G. Smith, a locomotive engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad, founded the Brotherhood's Relief and Compensation Fund (BR&CF). The BR&CF, a non-profit corporation established in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, provides job . . . — Map (db m135949) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — M551A1 Sheridan AR/AAV
On Beckley Street.
Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle-Turret Armament 152mm Gun/Launcher-M-219 7.62 cal. Machine Gun (Coaxially Mounted)-M-2 .50 Cal. Machine Gun-M-176 Grenade Launchers (8)-Weight 36,000 lbs. Combat Loaded-Cruising Range 373 miles, . . . — Map (db m114581) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Main Line Electrification of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) 1895IEEE Milestone in Electrical Engineering and Computing
Near West Pratt Street east of South Schroeder Street, on the right when traveling east.
On 27 June 1895, at the nearby Howard Street Tunnel, the B&O demonstrated the first electrified main line railroad, and commercial operation began four days later. The electrification involved designing, engineering, and constructing electric . . . — Map (db m135948) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Major General Samuel Smith
Near Warren Street.
1752–1839. Under his command the attack of the British upon Baltimore by land and sea Sept. 12-14, 1814 was repulsed. Member of Congress forty successive years, president U.S. Senate, Secretary of the Navy, Mayor of Baltimore. Hero . . . — Map (db m2557) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mary Pickersgill
On Wilkens Aveune.
The public spirited woman who made the 15 star flag that flew over Fort McHenry September 14, 1814, inspiring Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner. Site restored 1976 by the U.S. Daughters of 1812 and the Star Spangled Banner Flag . . . — Map (db m89205) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mary Rosemond and the Movement Against DestructionBaltimore Black History
On Pulaski Street.
Growing up in Florida, Mary Rosemond saw her mother fight to stop the demolition of their home for a highway. In 1958, she discovered the city’s plan to build an expressway through Greater Rosemont and her own West Baltimore home. Rosemond and her . . . — Map (db m101490) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Historical Society
On West Monument Street at Park Avenue on West Monument Street.
The Maryland Historical Society (MdHS) is the state's oldest continuously operating cultural institution. Founded in 1844, it was first located in the Athenaeum at St. Paul and Saratoga Streets. In 1919 it moved to its current location on W. . . . — Map (db m10249) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Korean War Memorial
On Boston Street.
This memorial is dedicated to those Marylanders who served and died in the "Forgotten War" Korea June 25, 1950-July 27, 1953 [Names listed] — Map (db m128743) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Naval Monument
Near Frederick Avenue (Route 144) west of McCurley Street, on the right when traveling east.
(east side) Maryland’s tribute to her loyal sons who served in the United States Navy during the War for the Preservation of the Union. (north side) Port Royal • November 7th, 1861 Monitor & Merrimack • March 9th, 1862 New Orleans . . . — Map (db m135097) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Sons Monument
Near Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 144) west of McCurley Street, on the right when traveling east.
(west side) To the Sons of Maryland who perished in preserving to us and posterity the “Government of the People, by the People for the People,” secured by our fathers, through the Union. This memorial is erected by her . . . — Map (db m135094) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Stadium Complex at Ostend and Warner StreetsGwynns Falls Trail
On West Ostend Street at Warner Street on West Ostend Street.
Today Camden Yards is synonymous with sports. It is the site of two stadiums that are the home of the National Football League’s Baltimore Ravens and the Major League Baseball’s Baltimore Orioles. North of the stadiums is the Sports Legends Museum . . . — Map (db m103024) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Vietnam Veterans Memorial
On Waterview Avenue.
(Panel on the left) This Memorial honors the men and women of the State of Maryland who served in the Armed Forces of our nation in the Vietnam War, with special tribute to those who lost their lives or who remain missing in action. Their names . . . — Map (db m65317) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr.
In Honor of Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr. Under the whose Leadership The Charles Center Project Was undertaken 1958 by his friends and The Citizens of Baltimore. — Map (db m88296) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — McKim Free School
On East Baltimore Street at North Aisquith Street on East Baltimore Street.
Before Baltimore's public school system opened in 1829, education was the concern of charitable and religious organizations. An early leader in the education movement was the McKim Free School, established through a bequest of Quaker merchant John . . . — Map (db m7071) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Meadow MillHistoric Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley.
On Clipper Mill Road.
Meadow Mill was built by industrialist William E. Hooper in 1877 during one of the most prosperous periods for industry in the Jones Falls Valley. Designed by architect Reuben Gladfelter, it represented the finest of Baltimore mill design. A . . . — Map (db m138738) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Memorial Field at the YEsablished 2010
On 33rd Street 0.1 miles east of Ellerslie Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Memorial Stadium formerly stood on this spot and was named in honor of those who did not return from World War I and II. In November, 2010 it is rededicated to serve youth in Baltimore City. Memorial Stadium opened in 1950 and was demolished in . . . — Map (db m104270) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Memorial To Edward Berge
On North Charles Street.
As a memorial to his friend Edward Berge, this enlargement of his "Sea Urchin" by Henry Berge was presented to the City of Baltimore by Frederick R. Huber 1959. Completed 1961. — Map (db m6979) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Memorial to John E. Burbage
On Edmondson Avenue (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling east.
Founder of the Knights of the Golden Eagle The Members of the Order 1912 — Map (db m6412) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Memorial to Marylanders Killed in War with Mexico"Watson Monument"
On Mount Royal Terrace at North Avenue (U.S. 1), on the right on Mount Royal Terrace.
1846-7-8 Erected by the Maryland Association of Veterans of Mexican War 1903 [tablet 2] Association of the Veterans of the Mexican War 1846-7-8 Surviving members 1903 Of the Army. John A. Reese, Samuel C. Love, John A. Love, John . . . — Map (db m81626) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mergenthaler House
On West Lanvale Street, on the right when traveling east.
From 1894 to 1899, this house was the residence of Ottmar Mergenthaler, a German immigrant who revolutionized the art of printing with his invention of the Linotype. Previously a typesetter searched for a single character, then placed it in a line . . . — Map (db m6582) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mill No. 1Historic Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley
On Falls Road (Maryland Route 25).
Mill No. 1 sits on the site of Laurel Mill, a late 18th century flour mill originally owned by prominent businessman and abolitionist Elisha Tyson. In 1849, the newly chartered Mount Vernon Company built a textile mill on the site. Mill No. 1 stood . . . — Map (db m138740) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mill No. 3Mill Centre — Historic Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley —
On Mill Road.
Mt. Vernon Mill No. 3, renamed Mill Centre in the 1980s, represented in 1853, an important expansion to Mt. Vernon Company. Led by president and former sailor Captain William Kennedy, both were among 14 U.S. mills that—as part of a huge . . . — Map (db m138025) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mob SceneStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Site — War of 1812 —
On Charles Street at Pratt Street on Charles Street.
Incited by anti-war editorials in the Federal Republican, an angry mob destroyed the newspaper’s Gay Street office in June 1812. Rioters returned when editor Alexander Contee Hanson resumed publication from the Charles Street site on July 27. . . . — Map (db m79870) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Montebello
On Whitman Drive.
Originally the estate of Major General Samuel Smith (1752-1839). In 1881 Lake Montebello began service as a drinking water supply for Baltimore when connected by tunnel with Loch Raven reservoir. Montebello water filtration plant was completed in . . . — Map (db m96029) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Monument Place
On West Monument Street at Linden Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Monument Street.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m131340) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Monumental Lives
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
The William and Robert Smith vault, another of Maximilian Godefroy's Egyptian-flavored designs, belonged to one of early Baltimore's most successful and accomplished families. William Smith followed his brother John from Lancaster, Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m6638) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mortars vs. Guns
Near E Fort Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
When the British attacked in 1814, guns of this type – but larger – were fired from the ramparts and the water batteries near the riverbank. They kept the British warships from entering Baltimore Harbor, but they could not shoot far . . . — Map (db m10885) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mother Lange and the Oblate Sisters of ProvidenceBaltimore Black History
On Payson Street.
Born in Haiti in 1784, Elizabeth Clovis Lange immigrated to Baltimore where she taught children of French-speaking black immigrants. In 1829, she formed the Oblate Sisters of Providence, the nation’s first black Catholic order, and guided it through . . . — Map (db m101479) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mother Seton House
Near North Paca Street, on the left when traveling north.
This house, built around 1807, was the home of Saint Elizabeth Bayley Seton, the first American-born canonized saint of the Roman Catholic Church. Born in New York to a prominent Protestant family, Elizabeth Ann Bayley married William M. Seton . . . — Map (db m5986) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Auburn Cemetery
On Waterview Avenue 0 miles west of Annapolis Road (Maryland Route 648), on the right when traveling east.
Oldest cemetery for African Americans in Baltimore, founded in 1872 by Rev. James Peck, pastor, and trustees of Sharp Street Methodist Episcopal Church. Dating to 1787, the congregation served the community and was influential in the freedom . . . — Map (db m13540) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Clare
Near Washington Boulevard.
This outstanding Georgian mansion, built between 1754 and 1768, was the home of Charles Carroll, Barrister and framer of Maryland’s first Constitution and Declaration of Rights. Carroll and his wife Margaret Tilghman made Mount Clare a center of . . . — Map (db m3152) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Clare
Near Washington Boulevard.
1754–1914. This oldest colonial structure of Baltimore was built in 1754 upon the estate known as “Georgia Plantation” by Charles Carroll, Barrister 1723–1783 One of the foremost patriots of . . . — Map (db m41351) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount ClareFreedom Seekers at Georgia Plantation — National Underground Railroad-Network to Freedom —
On Washington Blvd..
In 1760, Mount Clare was built as the summer home of Charles Carroll, Barrister. Mount Clare was the center of Georgia, Charles Carroll’s 800-acre Patapsco River Plantation. The estate supported grain fields and grist mills along the Gwynn’s Falls, . . . — Map (db m61209) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Clare, the Georgia Plantation
On Washington Boulevard.
In the late 1760’s, the Mount Clare mansion was built by Charles Carroll, Barrister and his wife, Margaret Tilghman, as their summer home. The mansion was located on the grounds of the original plantation, Georgia, and included an orangery, . . . — Map (db m2533) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Royal StationIcon for the Industrial Age
On Cathedral Street.
A monument to the golden era of rail travel, the Mount Royal Station enjoys a special place in the history of Baltimore and the nation—the home of the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad and birthplace of American railroading. The history of the . . . — Map (db m103424) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Royal StationPreserving-A Landmark For Artists
On Cathedral Street.
By the middle of the twentieth century, the Mount Royal Station fell victim to the rise of the automobile and the decline of passenger rail service nationwide. The historic building’s deterioration threatened the future of the Mount Royal area, and . . . — Map (db m103456) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Royal StationThriving Community-Cultural Icon
On Cathedral Street.
With the 1960s renovation completed, the station became a point of pride once again-for Baltimore and for MICA. It was an important factor in the college’s regional accreditation and the further growth of its enrollment and reputation. The . . . — Map (db m103542) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Vernon Cultural District
On Washington Place at East Mt. Vernon Place, on the right when traveling north on Washington Place.
Mount Vernon Cultural District provides an unequaled richness of cultural experience. Since the founding of the Peabody Institute in 1857, Mount Vernon has enjoyed a continuing association with the arts. Nineteenth Century Philanthropist George . . . — Map (db m142378) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Celebrating CultureThe Heart of the City
On North Charles Street at Mt. Vernon Place on North Charles Street.
Mount Vernon Place celebrates Baltimore’s rich cultural heritage, offering an extraordinary array of historic architecture, monuments, sculpture and cultural Institutions. The Washington Monument set the stage for this area in 1829, becoming the . . . — Map (db m62437) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church
On Mount Vernon Place at North Charles Street on Mount Vernon Place.
[photo caption] The Washington Monument, Baltimore. This view of Mount Vernon Place, circa 1848, shows the home of Charles and Phoebe Key Howard ot the right of the monument. Conceived as a "Cathedral of Methodism" the Mount Vernon Place . . . — Map (db m7948) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Washington Mill
On Smith Avenue.
(top plaque) Mt. Washington Mill has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. (bottom plaque) The renovation of Mt. Washington Mill is dedicated to Michael W. Halle (1954-1998). In . . . — Map (db m138809) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Washington Veterans Memorial
On Falls Road (Maryland Route 25) at Kelly Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Falls Road.
In honor of all from this community who served in wars and campaigns of our country — Map (db m128735) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mounted MessengersStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
On St Lo Drive.
Captain Henry Thompson, Clifton Mansion’s original owner, formed the First Baltimore Horse Artillery unit in 1813. General John Stricker chose Thompson’s troop to report on enemy movements at the August 1814 Battle of Bladensburg.

Selected as . . . — Map (db m79744) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — Moving Up To Cathedral Hill: Three Centuries of ChangeMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On Saratoga Street at North Charles Street on Saratoga Street.
Saratoga Street marks your arrival at Cathedral Hill, a neighborhood packed with three centuries of architecture. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Baltimoreans built some of their finest mansions and churches on Cathedral Hill. Today’s St. . . . — Map (db m103844) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mt. Olivet Cemetery
On Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 144) at Font Hill Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Frederick Avenue.
The burial place of Methodist pioneers including Bishops Francis Asbury, Enoch George, John Emory and Beverly Waugh, also Robert Strawbridge, first preacher in Maryland and Jesse Lee, founder in New England. Site of 1966 Methodist Bicentennial time . . . — Map (db m33697) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mt. Washington MillHistoric Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley
On Smith Avenue.
Mt. Washington Mill-historically Washington Mill, part of Washington Cotton Manufacturing Company-is one of Maryland’s earliest purpose-built cotton mills. Operations began in 1810 in the newly constructed stone mill during a time when Napoleonic . . . — Map (db m138812) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Murnaghan House
On West Mount Vernon Place, on the right when traveling east.
Built in 1849, this house was the home of William T. Walters (1819-1894) and his son Henry Walters (1848-1931), successful Baltimore merchants and bankers and avid collectors of art. At his death, Henry Walters bequeathed this building, his . . . — Map (db m6020) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — National Bohemian Beer"From the Land of Pleasant Living" — History —
On Thames Street west of South Broadway.
The National Brewing Company of Baltimore, MD first introduced the National Bohemian brand as we know it today in January, 1934. Often referred to as Natty Boh, the brand has been in continuous production ever since. Mr. Boh, the mustachioed, . . . — Map (db m109879) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — National Independence in the Revolution and War of 1812
On W. Redwood Street, on the right when traveling east.
Among the illustrious men interred within this enclosure who assisted in the achievement of National Independence in the Revolution and War of 1812 are the following Samuel Chase, 1741 – 1811, Signer of the Declaration of Independence . . . — Map (db m21364) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Norman Van Allan Reeves
On Eagle Drive, on the right when traveling north.
(1935-1983) Memorial trail In loving memory of and in appreciation for his untiring efforts to preserve Leakin Park. Dedicated by V.O.L.P.E. and Friends of Gwynns Falls / Leakin Park September 11, 1983 — Map (db m6405) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Notre Dame Convent
On East Lombard Street east of South Wolfe Street, on the right when traveling east.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m131344) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Nurturing the ArtsPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
On Pennsylvania Avenue.
Old West Baltimore helped shape some of America’s greatest African American writers, artists and performers. From novelists like Amelia Johnson and Zora Neale Hurston, to artists like Romare Bearden, to the performers who appeared at The Arena . . . — Map (db m102002) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — O Say Can You See?
Near Fort Avenue.
If you had been standing on this rampart with the American gunners on the morning of September 14, 1814, you would have had a close-up view of the dramatic scene Francis Scott Key described in our National Anthem. About two miles downstream, . . . — Map (db m2572) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — O'er the Ramparts We Watch!Which Flag Flies Today?
Near E. Fort Avenue.
The forts walls are called ramparts. An American flag flies over Fort McHenry twenty four hours a day by Presidential Proclamation. The size of the flag varies. On clear days with the right amount of wind, a full-size replica of the . . . — Map (db m61434) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Of Fords, Felles, and Falls
Near Washington Boulevard.
The Susquehannock and Algonquian Indians had long traveled through this area when Captain John Smith explored and mapped the Chesapeake Bay region in 1608 As the Susquehannocks went from Pennsylvania to the bay, they crossed the Gwynns Falls stream . . . — Map (db m6390) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old Dunbar High School
On N. Caroline Street.
The striking architecture of Baltimore’s original Dunbar High School complements the school’s role in community empowerment and educational equality. Dunbar’s educators, students, and alumni worked to achieve the “equal” in the . . . — Map (db m101610) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old East BaltimoreFrom Country Estates to City Living
On Greenmount Avenue at East Prston Street on Greenmount Avenue.
Old East Baltimore historic district is significant for its association with the history of immigration in Baltimore, its intact rowhouses and religious structures representing a range of architectural styles from the 1840s through the early 1900s, . . . — Map (db m78604) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old Otterbein Church
On West Conway Street at South Sharp Street, on the right when traveling west on West Conway Street.
"Mother Church" of the United Brethren in Christ. First chapel erected 1771, present edifice, 1785. Burial place of the denomination's founder, Philip Wilhelm Otterbein, pastor, 1774-1813. Lovely Lane Chapel, "Mother Church of American Methodism," . . . — Map (db m13573) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old Post Office
On North Calvert Street (Maryland Route 2), on the right when traveling north.
This structure, designed by James A. Wetmore and completed in 1932, is the second post office to occupy this site. Erected at a cost of $3.3 million, the neo-classical building, with its marble halls and paneled court-rooms, contained the most . . . — Map (db m6160) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old St. Paul's
On North Charles Street at East Saratoga Street, on the right when traveling north on North Charles Street.
St. Paul's Church (Episcopal) stands on the only property that has remained under the same ownership since the original survey of Baltimore Town in 1730. In that year, Lot. No. 19, the highest point in the new town, was granted to St. Paul's Parish; . . . — Map (db m92305) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On GuardStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
On Waterview Avenue.
Three gun batteries hugging the upper shore of Ferry Branch guarded the west flank of Fort McHenry. They included the makeshift earthworks of Fort Babcock, the incomplete Fort Covington, and a temporary redoubt at Ferry Point.

During the . . . — Map (db m79813) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — On This Location
Near Holliday Street at Fayette Street.
On this location, from the stage of the Holliday Street Theatre, The Star Spangled Banner, written by Francis Scott Key, was rendered for the first time publicly November 12, 1814. — Map (db m2707) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On Thursday, September 18, 2003Hurricane Isabel, a massive Category-2 storm, slammed into the east coast.
On Thames Street, on the right when traveling west.
With its eye located just south of the Chesapeake Bay, Isabel's high winds and tidal surge caused widespread flooding, property damage and power outages from North Carolina to New York. Downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hit the . . . — Map (db m6454) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On To YorktownWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route — National Historic Trail —
Our nation never had more at risk than it did in September 1781. The American Revolutionary War—the War for independence—had raged for nearly six years. More than 4,000 American and French troops, allied in their fight against the . . . — Map (db m60958) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On to YorktownWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail
Near Camden Street just west of Howard Street.
Our nation never had more at risk than it did in September 1781. The American Revolutionary War—the War for Independence—had raged for nearly six years. More than 4,000 American and French troops, allied in their fight against the . . . — Map (db m63885) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On to YorktownWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route Historic Tail — Road to Victory —
On East Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling west.
Coming from their camp at White Marsh in the early afternoon of Wednesday, 12 September 1781, the First Brigade of French forces, consisting of the infantry regiments Bourbonnais and Royal Deux-Ponts marched into Baltimore on Pulaski Highway [US . . . — Map (db m97308) HM

617 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 217
Paid Advertisement